Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread

02-10-2024 , 08:56 PM
so what what the song?
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-10-2024 , 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDeYeS00
so what what the song?
Georgia, Let's Stay Together by this guy, another with a walker.

And I Can't Stop Loving You, New York, New York by Jack.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-10-2024 , 09:16 PM
Jack is back singing Crazy and Linda (when I go to sleep I never count sheep). Now Miles is back singing Stairway to the Stars.

Usually this is a sedate bar, but there's a loud table of six behind me that are too ****ing loud.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Last edited by John Cole; 02-10-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-10-2024 , 10:43 PM
Phat Mack,

This from the end of an essay by Frank Conroy who dropped out of high school to play piano and become a pool hustler. In college, he was dating Learned Hand's granddaughter when he struck up a conversation with an old guy in the school cafeteria who was there often by himself. That guy was William O. Douglas, and Conroy became a conduit for a conversation between Hand and Douglas.

"Education doesn't end until life ends, because you never know when you're going to understand something you hadn't understood before. For me, the magic dance of the shoeshine men was the kind of experience in which understanding came with a kind of click, a resolving kind of click. The same with the experience at the piano. What happened with Justice Douglas and Judge Hand was different, and makes the point that understanding does not always mean resolution. Indeed, in our intellectual lives, our creative lives, it is perhaps those problems that will never resolve that rightly claim the lion's share of our energies. The physical body exists in a constant state of tension as it maintains homeostasis, and so too does the active mind embrace the tension of never being certain, never being absolutely sure, never being done, as it engages the world. That is our special fate, our inexpressibly valuable condition."

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Phat Mack,

This from the end of an essay by Frank Conroy who dropped out of high school to play piano and become a pool hustler. In college, he was dating Learned Hand's granddaughter when he struck up a conversation with an old guy in the school cafeteria who was there often by himself. That guy was William O. Douglas, and Conroy became a conduit for a conversation between Hand and Douglas.

"Education doesn't end until life ends, because you never know when you're going to understand something you hadn't understood before. For me, the magic dance of the shoeshine men was the kind of experience in which understanding came with a kind of click, a resolving kind of click. The same with the experience at the piano. What happened with Justice Douglas and Judge Hand was different, and makes the point that understanding does not always mean resolution. Indeed, in our intellectual lives, our creative lives, it is perhaps those problems that will never resolve that rightly claim the lion's share of our energies. The physical body exists in a constant state of tension as it maintains homeostasis, and so too does the active mind embrace the tension of never being certain, never being absolutely sure, never being done, as it engages the world. That is our special fate, our inexpressibly valuable condition."

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
This is top notch. I am going to have to check this guy out.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 12:31 PM
I need to go food shopping. I think I'll wait until the Superbowl starts. I expect the market will be less crowded then.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 01:45 PM
That plus ~45 minutes. There's always a late rush.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 08:34 PM
I'm tired of people who think what is good art and what is bad is subjective. They think they're atheists. I'm tired of it.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcardcharlie
I'm tired of people who think what is good art and what is bad is subjective. They think they're atheists. I'm tired of it.
Thinking of anything in particular?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 09:16 PM
BTW, that Kennedy ad.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 10:17 PM
was disgusting? I agree.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic
was disgusting? I agree.
He's disgusting. Ad was stupid.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-11-2024 , 11:51 PM
I'm kinda baffled by it...
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Thinking of anything in particular?
No. Why people seem to tend to think art is subjective baffles me. If what is good art were entirely subjective then what would be the point in having schools of art?
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcardcharlie
No. Why people seem to tend to think art is subjective baffles me. If what is good art were entirely subjective then what would be the point in having schools of art?
Some people believe the likes of Maya Angelou and Rupi Kaur are good poets. Objectively, they are not.

We should be able to like mediocre movies, but we should also be able to know they are mediocre.

People who enjoy Rupi Kaur and Maya Angelou believe they are great poets. They are wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 11:05 AM
Could it be that those things succeed in what they're trying to be? In other words, some movies aspire to be nothing more than a fun, action film (or whatever).

So, within that context, they're good; but in the overall pantheon of all movies, it might not be.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 12:22 PM
Two great poets: Robert Frost and Ogden Nash. They're so good, it can be difficult to see what they are doing.

Forget instagram.

Spoiler:
Whales have calves
...
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddog
Could it be that those things succeed in what they're trying to be? In other words, some movies aspire to be nothing more than a fun, action film (or whatever).

So, within that context, they're good; but in the overall pantheon of all movies, it might not be.
I would say that The Seven Samurai is a great action film. But we can think of objectively bad action films.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 03:29 PM
Nah. Critics suck, critical acclaim is usually an indicator of something people don't like. Not always but more often than not. It's ALL subjective. I don't like modern art so to me it sucks. I don't like hip hop music so to me it sucks. I don't like foreign films so to me they suck. Does all that stuff suck for everyone? Hell no! Just not my cup of tea just like a lot of the artistic endevours I love that others will find lacking. Why? Because it's ALL subjective.
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 08:22 PM
I trust some critics more than others. Some illuminate books and films for us. I try to get my students to go beyond whether a text is good or bad although I do admit that matters of taste are different.

But I've been reading and studying poetry for fifty years, and although I appreciate some poets more than others, I have a pretty good idea of the difference between good and bad poetry.

And, MrBaseball, you will like certain foreign films. I can't believe you wouldn't like Das Boot.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole

And, MrBaseball, you will like certain foreign films. I can't believe you wouldn't like Das Boot.
There are exceptions to every rule. I found Das Boot to be very good but not something I really want to watch again. I do like "some" foreign movies but they are few and far between. City of God and Cell 211 are two that I was absolutely blown away by. But most of them I just can't stand. Subtitles totally ruin the watching experience for me. I found the afore mention Seven Samarai to be a pretty miserable waste of 4 hours. Not a popular opinion here in the Lounge I know. I do love The Magnificient Seven though
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:09 PM
does anyone feel comfortable expanding upon the overlapping orbits of Le Samourai and Jim Jarmush?
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDeYeS00
does anyone feel comfortable expanding upon the overlapping orbits of Le Samourai and Jim Jarmush?
I have never seen Ghost Dog. I guess I need to.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-13-2024 , 01:11 AM
(Seven Samurai is not my favorite Kurosawa)
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote
02-13-2024 , 12:51 PM
There was a baseball player named "Ugly" Johnny Dickshot.

Really.


Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Winter of Our Disco Tent: Lounge LC Thread Quote

      
m