Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #1926
0nTheRiver
newbie
 
0nTheRiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
I'm doing the Chimay Blue and Innis & Gunn.
Chimay is awesome. Haven't had a bottle in way too long.
0nTheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #1927
absoludicrous
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
absoludicrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: You like the stache?
Posts: 10,091
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Looking for a review of the Ranger IPA from New Belgium. How was it TTF?
absoludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #1928
ToTheFelt
grinder
 
ToTheFelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 616
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoludicrous View Post
Looking for a review of the Ranger IPA from New Belgium. How was it TTF?
Actually having my last one right now... surprisingly good. I say that because I'm not a big NB fan, but I give everything one shot at least. Nice color, however not filtered it seems, which is still ok with me. Looking at the beer you can see hops and whatnot floating in the beer. Considering how NB is I didn't expect it... thought it would be super refined, however like I said, I still like it a lot. It has Simcoe, Cascade & Chinook hops. I could do without the Chinook, but no sweat. It's hitting at 70 IBU's as well. It has an awesome head to it.... great aroma in the nose and head of the beer w/ superior head retention throughout which I really like. Would like a bit more malty tasty to it but it's a well done IPA. I will buy more.
ToTheFelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1929
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Has anyone seen the documentary Beer Wars yet. I watched it last night. It was a bit cartoony and was often reminiscent of Roger and Me but it made me appreciate the effort that the smaller brewers go through to bring us our delicious beers.

The barriers to entry for U.S. craft brewers are quite extreme. Even though this segment of the beer market is growing it is still quite small compared to the overall beer market which is actually stagnant. Inbev/Anheuser Busch and Miller/Coors have quite a stranglehold on the distribution system and retailers along with substantial political influence on the state and national levels.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #1930
rapidacid
veteran
 
rapidacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Unique New York
Posts: 2,990
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDownHouse View Post
On the bright side, I just mashed in for a barleywine! 26.5lbs of grain to end up with 5 gallons of beer. I'm hoping it comes out to around 12.5% ABV, but when homebrewing this big of a beer things can kind of go haywire.
RDH, have you ever shown a picture of your setup? I'm just about to switch to AG brewing and am trying to design a system, or possibly go straight for a pre-built all in one setup like the Keggle Brewer ( $2,495 + tax + shipping )

Any suggestions / pit falls to avoid?
rapidacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #1931
JohnnyRyall
old hand
 
JohnnyRyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,436
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
Has anyone seen the documentary Beer Wars yet. I watched it last night. It was a bit cartoony and was often reminiscent of Roger and Me but it made me appreciate the effort that the smaller brewers go through to bring us our delicious beers.

The barriers to entry for U.S. craft brewers are quite extreme. Even though this segment of the beer market is growing it is still quite small compared to the overall beer market which is actually stagnant. Inbev/Anheuser Busch and Miller/Coors have quite a stranglehold on the distribution system and retailers along with substantial political influence on the state and national levels.
I watched this last week on Netflix, I thought it was really good. Yeah a little on the cartoony/goofy side, but when it got serious it was great and informative. I thought it was very interesting how Inbev/Anheuser Busch and Miller/Coors have a very cut throat attitude, kind of disturbing too. It proved how these companies care more about advertising and share holder well being rather than the quality of their products. I loved the part when they had the taste test for Miller Lite, Coors Lite, and Bud Light and NO ONE got it right.

How lame was that guy who worked for Anheuser Busch and his job to pretty much find out what Micro Breweries were doing and then Anheuser Busch would create their own bastardized version of it.

I thought it was cool how they did a little piece on Yuengling, I live in PA, so it was cool to see that.

Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries and after watching this, it just made me like them even more because of how they followed Sam, really cool and really interesting.

I think Jim Koch said it best when talking about Micro vs Macro brews, I dont remember the quote exactly, but it was something like "Do we look at Mcdonalds to give us good burgers? No, so why are people looking at Anheuser Busch for good beer."
JohnnyRyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #1932
goomba
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 166
Re: TLDR Beer Club

I tried Trader Joes Vintage Ale, and I have to say, its pretty decent for the price. I"m not an afficiando, but I would give this a solid 3.5 out 5.
goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #1933
Wetdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Wetdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Got FTP$ - enuf for just 1 titty
Posts: 5,391
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRyall View Post
How lame was that guy who worked for Anheuser Busch and his job to pretty much find out what Micro Breweries were doing and then Anheuser Busch would create their own bastardized version of it.
IDK about where you guys are, but here in Colorado AB has a Blue Moon knockoff called Shock Top. They used to have a Fat Tire knockoff called Drop Top, but I haven't seen it in a while. They bought a local micro brewery to mimic their beers, failed badly when the crew jumped ship and shut it down.
Wetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #1934
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheFelt View Post
i don't see it on my directv, but i'm out west... if they show it via their webpage or something or maybe hulu, link it here for us.
here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-c3...&feature=email

I might be in the background somewhere, I'm definitely in the closing shot. This was filmed the day I kegged the "Suck It," so all the beer they show is actually "mine."
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #1935
moronchad
banned
 
moronchad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: YID ARMY!
Posts: 1,662
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Is this just for American beer?

(was wondering what anyone though of English bitter)
moronchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #1936
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronchad View Post
Is this just for American beer?

(was wondering what anyone though of English bitter)
If you are referring to the movie Beer Wars it is mostly about American beer. They did briefly touch on the mergers of AB/Inbev and SABMiller. As a result of these mergers, many of the brands that people view as imports are under the umbrella of these two corporations.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #1937
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronchad View Post
Is this just for American beer?

(was wondering what anyone though of English bitter)
This thread isn't just for US beers.

I'm fond of Bitters, but there aren't too many available in my area aside from Fuller's ESB.

I've always considered Stone Arrogant Bastard a good American Bitter though.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #1938
moronchad
banned
 
moronchad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: YID ARMY!
Posts: 1,662
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
This thread isn't just for US beers.

I'm fond of Bitters, but there aren't too many available in my area aside from Fuller's ESB.

I've always considered Stone Arrogant Bastard a good American Bitter though.
Yeh, i had a flick through the thread, and noticed no posts in regard to UK Bitters.

I've only been drinking them for a year or so.

It's a shame you don't get them in America,

If anyone ITT comes to the UK, I'd recommend;

London Pride
Spitfire
Pedigree
Any local beer/ cider sold in village pubs.

If you're young and you've drunk lager all your life (most of it piss water imo) then there's <1% chance you'll like it right away.

Do give it a go if you can though. + It's a type of beer you tend to drink to enjoy, not chug and get smashed on.
moronchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1939
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
This thread isn't just for US beers.

I'm fond of Bitters, but there aren't too many available in my area aside from Fuller's ESB.

I've always considered Stone Arrogant Bastard a good American Bitter though.
Another Bitter that I like is Rogue Brutal Bitter. I think it is from the US Northwest. The best beer bar/restaurant in my town carries this regularly.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #1940
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronchad View Post
It's a shame you don't get them in America,

If anyone ITT comes to the UK, I'd recommend;

London Pride
Spitfire
Pedigree
Any local beer/ cider sold in village pubs.
we do get bitters here in the US, just not as many here in Tampa Bay.

I'm a big fan of Fuller's London Pride, but I don't consider that a bitter - more like a British Pale Ale. On the same track, I'm a big fan of Bellhaven's Twisted Thistle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
Another Bitter that I like is Rogue Brutal Bitter. I think it is from the US Northwest. The best beer bar/restaurant in my town carries this regularly.
Yeah, Rogue is from Oregon. That is great beer. They also make a very nice one called Younger's Special Bitter, but that's hard to get a hold of on the other side of the country.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #1941
JohnnyRyall
old hand
 
JohnnyRyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,436
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
If you are referring to the movie Beer Wars it is mostly about American beer. They did briefly touch on the mergers of AB/Inbev and SABMiller. As a result of these mergers, many of the brands that people view as imports are under the umbrella of these two corporations.
Call me ill-informed, but this was news to me before I watched it.
JohnnyRyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #1942
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRyall View Post
Call me ill-informed, but this was news to me before I watched it.
They're still imports. Interbev's flagship brands are Hoegaarden, Leffe & Stella, but they also bring stuff like Carlsberg and Corona to the US. That doesn't mean they are domestic brands. (We'll save the discussion of the dumbing down of brands like Boddington's for the US market until later...) That means I get those brands from my Bud distributor here.

The Miller/Coors folks have distributors across the country under different names, but still basically the same company. Kind of like Carl's Jr. out West is the same as Hardee's back East. They have agreements with importers too, like Merchant Du Vin, who bring Samuel Smith's, Lindeman's, Ayinger and others to America. They tend to have agreements w/this group in every market here.

Once in a while a US Microbrew or a very small import group like B. United (small overseas breweries tend not to come over by themselves) will switch up their distribution, but they're usually with the same folks all the time too.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #1943
moronchad
banned
 
moronchad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: YID ARMY!
Posts: 1,662
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
we do get bitters here in the US, just not as many here in Tampa Bay.

I'm a big fan of Fuller's London Pride, but I don't consider that a bitter - more like a British Pale Ale. On the same track, I'm a big fan of Bellhaven's Twisted Thistle.
You're certainly right on that,
I'm not quite at a connoisseur level
So for me pretty much everything falls into;
Lager
Bitter
Cider
And piss off with wine. (imo)

Last edited by moronchad; 02-11-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Post below: Yeh i do know, I just can't be bothered, hence my list :) Newcastle Brown is also good.(no longer brewed in Newc)
moronchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #1944
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronchad View Post
You're certainly right on that,
I'm not quite at a connoisseur level
So for me pretty much everything falls into;
Lager
Bitter
Cider
And piss off with wine. (imo)
you're not far off - every beer is a Lager or an Ale. Pale Ales and Bitters are very close cousins in the Ale family. Keep going a little darker you hit Brown Ales, Porters then Stouts - especially in the UK.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #1945
JohnnyRyall
old hand
 
JohnnyRyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,436
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Rogue Chocolate Stout anyone? Had it the other night and its probably one of my favorites now.
JohnnyRyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #1946
loosbastard
Pooh-Bah
 
loosbastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paradise
Posts: 4,072
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
every beer is a Lager or an Ale.
Not exactly. Don't forget about lactobacillus or brettanomyces used in sour beers.
loosbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #1947
Kevroc
Chubby Chaser
 
Kevroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 20,366
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRyall View Post
Rogue Chocolate Stout anyone? Had it the other night and its probably one of my favorites now.
Inspired by skimming the thread last night.. I just bought a sixer of Big Daddy IPA and a bottle of ommegang chocolate stout.

The Brooklyn is my fave chocolate but, I've yet to try this one.
Kevroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #1948
RunDownHouse
Allez Biere!
 
RunDownHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 12,819
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidacid View Post
RDH, have you ever shown a picture of your setup? I'm just about to switch to AG brewing and am trying to design a system, or possibly go straight for a pre-built all in one setup like the Keggle Brewer ( $2,495 + tax + shipping )

Any suggestions / pit falls to avoid?
I'm sure I have somewhere but I can't seem to find them. I'll take some more and post them this weekend if I can remember. In any case, my setup is extremely ghetto, seeing as how brewers don't make much cash compensation. I'll PM you with details and advice unless the rest of the people in the thread say they care about that kind of thing.
RunDownHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #1949
dogsballs
veteran
 
dogsballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,300
Re: TLDR Beer Club

RDH, yes plz!
It's partly what the thread's for. A couple of friends have thrown out a serious homebrew suggestion. I'd love to hear about some decent homebrew setups (& sources)...perhaps more modest than $2k tho.

I used to homebrew about 25 yrs ago, but that was just a 40 gal plastic tub in the cupboard with a lightbulb under it; then bottle it and hope nothing explodes. Got some cheap yeasty brews out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDownHouse View Post
I'm sure I have somewhere but I can't seem to find them. I'll take some more and post them this weekend if I can remember. In any case, my setup is extremely ghetto, seeing as how brewers don't make much cash compensation. I'll PM you with details and advice unless the rest of the people in the thread say they care about that kind of thing.

Last edited by dogsballs; 02-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #1950
dogsballs
veteran
 
dogsballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,300
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Someone posted a link to that documentary earlier this thread. It def made me never want to buy any Coors Miller Budweiser product again...apart from the fact I don't like any of their products anyway...

Sounds like the system allows CMB to have a virtual stranglehold on the distribution of beer. And Budweiser making crappy imitations of craft beers to try to squeeze the market is just pathetic and lame; problem is, thats prolly exactly what Bud are trying to do..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
Has anyone seen the documentary Beer Wars yet. I watched it last night. It was a bit cartoony and was often reminiscent of Roger and Me but it made me appreciate the effort that the smaller brewers go through to bring us our delicious beers.

The barriers to entry for U.S. craft brewers are quite extreme. Even though this segment of the beer market is growing it is still quite small compared to the overall beer market which is actually stagnant. Inbev/Anheuser Busch and Miller/Coors have quite a stranglehold on the distribution system and retailers along with substantial political influence on the state and national levels.
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive