Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #4976
ChicagoRy
 
ChicagoRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ColoradoRy
Posts: 20,493
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Awesome SD trip, I really need to get back out there myself. Been waiting until Stone does their little hotel project, but will that ever happen?

What I've always heard about aging beer is that colder is going to slow down the aging process and warmer is going to speed it up.

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong, but that would mean that you shouldn't be afraid to age your beer in your 40 degree fridge if you don't have the ability to age at cellar temps, just don't expect your flavors to change as quickly.

I personally prefer the higher abv/less hopped aged beers. I still have one or two Darklords from years ago, the last one I had last year I really did not like. It was such a good beer with a lot of hop flavor when fresh, and it just doesn't taste right when it's all sweet and that hop flavor has deteriorated. Beers without so much hop presence do much better for me aging.
ChicagoRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #4977
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Ry, that's exactly what would happen if you store them at 40 degrees. I have wine that is being stored at around 52 degrees and I know it will age slower than my bottles in passive storage
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #4978
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Yea, its amazing how quickly hops can drop out of even commercial beers when stored warm over time. Its mostly the flavor/aroma hops that drop quick, it appear to me that the bittering hops can withstand a little more age but it does fade with time.

What Charlie Bamforth says is that "for every 10 degrees C you increase the aging factor by 2".

And that guy is smart.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #4979
Mor_Tilt4mePls
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mor_Tilt4mePls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: sfv
Posts: 15,940
Re: TLDR Beer Club

sick tr! love sd. love the tread was lurking and had to post found a nice deal on some sierra nevada torpedo ipa's 10.99 for a 12pk couldn't pass it up! good Tuesday to all!
Mor_Tilt4mePls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #4980
bbones31
veteran
 
bbones31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,535
Dang...I can only get a six-pack for 13.99
bbones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4981
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Re: TLDR Beer Club

are you in Chico ?

One thing I've really started doing is exploring local IPA's. even just "good" IPA's can be really great if they were bottled last week. plus they are generally cheap.
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #4982
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,726
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbones31 View Post
Dang...I can only get a six-pack for 13.99
where is this? i can get a 12 pack for $12.99 in Indy. I think RDH mentioned that torpedo was expensive in Tennessee.
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #4983
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 22,045
Torpedo is pretty cheap in MN too, 12 pack goes for $12 - 15 iirc
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #4984
Mor_Tilt4mePls
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mor_Tilt4mePls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: sfv
Posts: 15,940
Re: TLDR Beer Club

bones, sorry to hear that! I cant imagine what some craft ipa's 6ers cost eekk! usual price is 12.99 my local rite aide always seems to have solid 12pk prices. every week one or two at min are on sale for 10.99

kneel, not in Chico but the san Fernando valley land of the liquor store and porn star. I've also started to nit it up a bit with some of the more expensive 6 and 4pks and make sure the date of bottled are relatively recent.

I had a 4pk of point the way ipa 7.40ish for 4 16oz cans a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised very easy to drink and citrusy, a nice change from the normal in your face ipa's I've been getting used to.
Mor_Tilt4mePls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #4985
bbones31
veteran
 
bbones31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,535
I'm living in Guam right now. It is steep but I can't complain too much, a few years ago the way to mix it up would have been Michelob Amberbock.

Better stuff has been trickling in the past yea or so. SN Torpedo and Pale Ale, Lagunitas, Anchor, and most recently Deschutes. If I could get on the Navy or Air Force base, they have a better selection(and cheaper) damn government!
bbones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #4986
Wraths Unanimous
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wraths Unanimous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BGnight is cheap!
Posts: 8,575
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bode-ist View Post
where is this? i can get a 12 pack for $12.99 in Indy. I think RDH mentioned that torpedo was expensive in Tennessee.
In Chattanooga I can get a case of Torpedo for ~$35.
Wraths Unanimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #4987
lacticacid
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 783
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Yea, its amazing how quickly hops can drop out of even commercial beers when stored warm over time. Its mostly the flavor/aroma hops that drop quick, it appear to me that the bittering hops can withstand a little more age but it does fade with time.

What Charlie Bamforth says is that "for every 10 degrees C you increase the aging factor by 2".

And that guy is smart.
Unrelated. Just noticed Coff in Zymergy for Best of Show winner for Spring Beer and Sausage Fest.

Related. Local supermarket Wegmens has a pretty good beer selection, but you have to be careful to grab beers in recommended drink by. Unita often is too late. And for a Summit beer, I had to grab the last 6 pack in the row to get one made in July vs. March. Grabbed the Summit due to listening to their brewer on the brewing network on the way to the store. Their english style IPA is a nice change.

Brewed a hoppy wheat saison today. 9 oz in 6 gallons mostly nz hops with an oz of columbus first hop. Yeast was a blend of brett tois and French Saison. The blend is probably too aggressive as it took a 1.056 down to 1.003. My beer for football season is way to high ABV wise -> 6% Flanders Red, 7.2% Cider, 8% Old Bruin, and 7% Rye Saison. Need to brew a mild or brown porter to get something low ABV. Going to put the Old Bruin on a picnic faucet to open up another tap for the Hoppy Wheat Saison. Will probably bottle up the cider to get a tap free for something lower abv.
lacticacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #4988
RunDownHouse.
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,455
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacticacid View Post
Need to brew a mild or brown porter to get something low ABV.
Sour mash + brett cake = tasty lower abv beer? No need to let the brett go crazy drying it out, but it could be a fun experiment to get a bit tart from the mash, a bit fruity/funky from brett in primary (depending on the strain, I guess), and then just slap it in a keg so it doesn't get super thin.
RunDownHouse. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #4989
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacticacid View Post
Unrelated. Just noticed Coff in Zymergy for Best of Show winner for Spring Beer and Sausage Fest.
Oh yea? I didnt know it was in the mag, thats pretty cool.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #4990
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Scored Enjoy By, had it in April, then again at NHC 2 months ago but it was nice to sit down with a bottle of it again. That beer is phenomenal, such a big citrus component to it, without the overpowering dankness of Ruin10.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4991
lacticacid
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 783
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Scored Enjoy By, had it in April, then again at NHC 2 months ago but it was nice to sit down with a bottle of it again. That beer is phenomenal, such a big citrus component to it, without the overpowering dankness of Ruin10.
I had it at Capone's last week on Tap and it was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the Yard's Cape of Good Hope - nice citrus and tropical fruit. Doubly surprised that they had it at applebees which my kids wanted to go to due to the magician.
lacticacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #4992
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacticacid View Post
I had it at Capone's last week on Tap and it was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the Yard's Cape of Good Hope - nice citrus and tropical fruit. Doubly surprised that they had it at applebees which my kids wanted to go to due to the magician.
Funny you mention that, aside from you I wasnt sure how many people would be interested in a post about that beer but I think this years version is fantastic. Last years was decent but this time around I was floored, mostly because I wasnt expecting such a good DIPA from them. I went to the brewery a couple weeks ago and had some really good one offs as well, a barrel aged Grand Cru was a highlight.

Last edited by Coff; 08-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #4993
AJW
a distant tied 2nd
 
AJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Under my rock
Posts: 3,370
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockHec View Post
Pretty sick thread....while Guinness will always and forever be my mainstay I have been loving this recently and it's def my right now beer:



Innis & Gunn - Spiced Rum

7.4% ABV and it goes down so smooth...yummy!
Gust had one. Has the warm sugary taste of rum but with out the spicy kick that rum has its a bit rich for me. Much prefer the normal Innis & Gunn.

Followed up with a Modelo Especial 1925 very clean very dry but not much depth of flavour I wont be returning to that one.
AJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4994
AJW
a distant tied 2nd
 
AJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Under my rock
Posts: 3,370
Re: TLDR Beer Club

St Peters Brewery : Suffolk Gold

Very nice light flowery beer with a hoppy sour finish. Really liked that one will try to get some more.
AJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #4995
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Did anyone ITT go to NHC this year in Philly? If so did you try the "Merican Sour" in the Firkin at the Philly Homebrew Outlets booth in the expo? I know alot of people did.

Anyway, the beer was brewed by a guy in my club, Kirk, he only brews Farmhouse beers and Sours. Not a clean beer in his house, everything is funky, complex and amazing.

So the DogFish Head rep had his sour and asked to talk to him. She offered to bring him down to the brewpub and brew with Sam using his house bug culture with a possibility of it going out to market in bottles.

Long story short, he declined. I asked him about it and he said he doesnt like their beers and thinks they wouldnt let him make the beer the way he would want it to be made. The dude is an eccentric, pretty interesting guy but even this surprised me.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #4996
PlinyTheElder
journeyman
 
PlinyTheElder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 254
Re: TLDR Beer Club

That's pretty nuts. Isn't that every homebrewers dream? To make a beer on a big scale? And to do it with someone like Sam who seems like a really cool dude and a huge name in the industry?

On that note, I am trying to go to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp again this year and I might actually have a shot this time. The top 10 vote getters get to go and I'm in 3rd right now with the contest ending September 30. I'd appreciate anyone's vote, once per day. I promise a full TR!

http://www.sierrabeercamp.com/vote#17
PlinyTheElder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #4997
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Yea it was pretty surprising, but its only a matter of time before someone decides to invest in him. He has a pretty big following locally and has alot of amazing funky Saisons and sours. 3 60 gallon barrels in his living room...I asked him once if he ever brews "clean" beers and he said "I gave my house up to the bacteria a long time ago".

I voted for you.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #4998
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlinyTheElder View Post
That's pretty nuts. Isn't that every homebrewers dream? To make a beer on a big scale? And to do it with someone like Sam who seems like a really cool dude and a huge name in the industry?

On that note, I am trying to go to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp again this year and I might actually have a shot this time. The top 10 vote getters get to go and I'm in 3rd right now with the contest ending September 30. I'd appreciate anyone's vote, once per day. I promise a full TR!

http://www.sierrabeercamp.com/vote#17

You should read some Sean Hill interviews. Basically he has zero interest in becoming big. Now, he isn't exactly a home brewer anymore but I think he has the same logic as this guy. To him its about the craft and doing things exactly and only as he wants to do them. He started a company so he could do what he wants.

He wants to live on his farm and be green and local and contribute to local farms etc and make perfect beer and to become much bigger he'd have to sacrifice a lot of that. Pretty interesting guy.
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #4999
Coff
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila. PA
Posts: 8,929
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Sean is a great comparison for this guy, youre right they share alot of similar views in that respect.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #5000
chester cheetah
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: lake titty bang
Posts: 718
Re: TLDR Beer Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Did anyone ITT go to NHC this year in Philly? If so did you try the "Merican Sour" in the Firkin at the Philly Homebrew Outlets booth in the expo? I know alot of people did.

Anyway, the beer was brewed by a guy in my club, Kirk, he only brews Farmhouse beers and Sours. Not a clean beer in his house, everything is funky, complex and amazing.

So the DogFish Head rep had his sour and asked to talk to him. She offered to bring him down to the brewpub and brew with Sam using his house bug culture with a possibility of it going out to market in bottles.

Long story short, he declined. I asked him about it and he said he doesnt like their beers and thinks they wouldnt let him make the beer the way he would want it to be made. The dude is an eccentric, pretty interesting guy but even this surprised me.
Well Kirk certainly sounds like the man. **** dogfish, their beer is not top top
chester cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive