Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Talk About Movies: Part 4

11-18-2023 , 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcardcharlie
Spider (2002). David Cronenberg... Worth watching.
Check out A Dangerous Method by DC...
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-18-2023 , 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
Check out A Dangerous Method by DC...
Thanks, I'll look out for it.

The Guard (2011). Brendan Gleeson. Kind of In Bruges meets Local Hero meets Lethal Weapon. Decent.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 01:08 AM
The Killing of the Sacred Deer features gorgeous cinematography and a story that seems like a kind of revenge tale, but who knows. Reminds me that I saw the film version of Iphegenia at the Avon theater in1977.

Barry Keoghan, Colin Farrell, and Nicole Kidman star.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 01:13 AM
it's already live so can't bring in new contestants but we're doing a movie draft you guys could be interested in obvserving

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/5...terest-1828081
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 02:16 PM
Journey to Bethlehem:

My friend invited me to see John Wick 14 earlier this year with his fiance and her sister. Met them when I started going to church and wanted to see them one more time before I left L.A. but really didn't want to see the movie. So I prayed on it and decided to go.

Of course they purchased 5 p.m. Friday night premiere tickets in Pasadena. So I got stuck in L.A. Friday rush hour traffic for a couple hours and arrived right as the movie was starting. Power goes out. The entire cinema and the entire mall. No power, and never started back up again. Couple hours later the whole mall was evacuated by police so we all got a free AMC pass that 8 months later became this movie.

Now I'm living in my car driving town to town and watched Journey to Bethlehem last night. It was the late picture which ran until after midnight and there was nobody or nothing else in the theater except me and huge tub of popcorn + drink, and the clothes I hadn't changed or washed in about a week.

Movie was ok. Like Disney Nativity imitation but lacking the polish somewhat made up for by better source material and heart. There were some good songs, some forgettable songs, and some cringe. This is a real intellectual review if you can tell. Mostly got better after a dodgy second fifth, but then there was a totally illogical and unnecessarily forced deus ex machina between the nativity and the denouement. What a sucky way to end.

All in all the movie was decent if you like musicals and Bible movies. Not good, not great, which is better than 99% of new releases. I'm just happy I got to see my friend one more time before I left L.A., didn't have to see John Wick 14, and somehow God turned all that into my own private movie theater for a night watching The Greatest Birth Ever Told (The Musical!)

Long live the King!
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll
it's already live so can't bring in new contestants but we're doing a movie draft you guys could be interested in obvserving

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/5...terest-1828081
Spoiler:
IIRC the Lounge experts say there is definitely a greatest year for movies, and it is not 1994.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 05:31 PM
well you guys so old you'll probably do that 34 year with gone with the wind and wizard of oz and such
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 05:41 PM
Wizard of Oz is the greatest film ever made.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-19-2023 , 10:38 PM
Thirty Nine...
:/thread
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcardcharlie
Spoiler:
IIRC the Lounge experts say there is definitely a greatest year for movies, and it is not 1994.
greatest year for movies

Spoiler:
2007
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 12:19 AM
Funny you bring up that year, rbk. Re-watched one of my favourites last night, Michael Clayton. Made me go down the rabbit hole of 2007 movies on Wiki on my phone in bed, and there were so many good ones.

Last few years feel a far cry from some of the 2000's and 2010's years.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 01:48 AM
Thanksgiving

Director: Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel, Knock Knock)

Anticipation Level: Very High

Where to Watch: Movie Theaters

Thoughts: I've been waiting for this to come to fruition ever since seeing the phenomenal fake trailer Eli Roth put together for Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse double feature all the way back in 2007. While most of the clips in that original trailer find their way into the final film in some way or another, the tone of the movie is wildly different. The morbid lo-fi vibe of the original trailer is nowhere to be found here - Thanksgiving looks and sounds and feels like a modern slasher. While that's a bit of a disappointment, the movie mostly works for me. I love the slasher genre and Roth put together a film I won't mind coming back to more than a few times.

The kills and gore here were pretty top notch. For the most part, they looked great, fit within the Thanksgiving theme, and some of them were so wild I couldn't help but laugh.

I think John Carver has a chance to be an iconic slasher. I love his look and considering this movie follows the 'whodunit?' template of the Scream franchise, it's entirely plausible that different people could take up the John Carver mantle in future sequels.

What holds this back from being a true slasher banger is the complete lack of memorable or likable characters. There is no one to root for here. No one to care about when they die. The final girl is bottom tier for the first film of what is surely going to be a new franchise. There are plenty of unlikable characters and a surprising number of them live to see the end credits. Also, the killer's motive is atrocious and feels like an afterthought. When it's revealed you're going to be like, "wait, you're mad about who and what now?"

Despite its flaws, I thought Thanksgiving was plenty of fun. It might not be the movie I was hoping for when I saw that initial trailer, but I still enjoyed the final product. It's worth noting that both people I saw this with liked it less than I did. They thought it was stupid. But I did warn my girlfriend that this movie was not for her. Slasher fans only.

Rating: 6+ (Enjoyable / Recommended)

Replay Value: I'll watch it again immediately when it hits streaming and I think I'll be more forgiving on future viewings now that my expectations have been altered.

Sequel Potential: YESSSSS PLEASE

Oscar Potential: None
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatking
greatest year for movies

Spoiler:
2007
gross



it does have some decent ones like no country, atonement, twbb, michael clayton, superbad, hot fuzz, & sunshine i'll admit



and looking at the list, i feel compelled to do a review of my own





Darjeeling Limited

What is lacks as a film it more than makes up for accurately capturing the je ne sais quo of carefree expat life

well to doish people without any real concerns just trying to experience new things while also getting high

most expats are financially independent because everything so cheap (and they usually come from wealthy families as well) so there's this casual indifference they have to many of life's struggles and instead just focus on having experiences

watching it was like entering a time capsule taking me back to my 20s

I'd never been to India, so it wasn't even about that, but they just really absolutely ffing nailed it - got exactly who the people that are willing to say "f it, let's go ride a train in india for a week on a moment's notice" are like


only watched it for the first time this year, really upset i hadn't watched it earlier because so many conversations about what life abroad was like would have been so much simpler, as now i can just tell them, "have you seen darjeeling limited, it was like that" it was a group of young men drinking and smoking whatever they could lay their hands on, happily exploring every stop and trying to get the max experience out of all of it without any real concerns or other real world priorities - expats do not talk about daycare or mortages or roth IRAs or car insurance premiums - nor do they reference pop culture and make references to the latest commercials because they neither own nor watch tv - they instead just travel, get high, talk about what they see, and try to bang some local women along the way

it brought me to tears with nostalgia, despite that i'd never been to india - even just typing this out and thinking about it now makes me very sad

the perfect movie
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll
gross



it does have some decent ones like no country, atonement, twbb, michael clayton, superbad, hot fuzz, & sunshine i'll admit
Wow that is a crap list. I've seen three of them, all were disappointing, and I have no desire to see any of the others. No Country For Old Men is great though.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroll
Darjeeling Limited

What is lacks as a film it more than makes up for accurately capturing the je ne sais quo of carefree expat life

well to doish people without any real concerns just trying to experience new things while also getting high

most expats are financially independent because everything so cheap (and they usually come from wealthy families as well) so there's this casual indifference they have to many of life's struggles and instead just focus on having experiences

watching it was like entering a time capsule taking me back to my 20s

I'd never been to India, so it wasn't even about that, but they just really absolutely ffing nailed it - got exactly who the people that are willing to say "f it, let's go ride a train in india for a week on a moment's notice" are like


only watched it for the first time this year, really upset i hadn't watched it earlier because so many conversations about what life abroad was like would have been so much simpler, as now i can just tell them, "have you seen darjeeling limited, it was like that" it was a group of young men drinking and smoking whatever they could lay their hands on, happily exploring every stop and trying to get the max experience out of all of it without any real concerns or other real world priorities - expats do not talk about daycare or mortages or roth IRAs or car insurance premiums - nor do they reference pop culture and make references to the latest commercials because they neither own nor watch tv - they instead just travel, get high, talk about what they see, and try to bang some local women along the way

it brought me to tears with nostalgia, despite that i'd never been to india - even just typing this out and thinking about it now makes me very sad

the perfect movie
Excellent review and will definitely give it a first viewing as well

While I agree on your assessment on expat/backpacker life, it moreso applies to SEA, and barely - if any... - to India imho. Even if you do get your small sample size of backpacker egocentric bubble perspectives in India, picking up local women is not a thing, parties/raves/bars are far from being rampant (or even available at all) and remaining untouched by the immense poverty and suffering in India is almost impossible (as opposed to living on Thai or Filipino isolated islands). Which is also why traveling in India is such a cultural shock at first, and that it is not uncommon to spot a foreigner in tears and wanting to gtfo/back to countries such as Nepal or Thailand. Going back to your home country and experiencing a severe depression for a year+ after traveling extensively to India is actually quite a thing, as it becomes tough for young travelers to reconcile both realities.

Just felt the need to add the above

Last edited by Dubnjoy000; 11-20-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 10:22 AM
Darjeeling Limited and Michael Clayton
... two of my personal favorites.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Thanksgiving

Director: Eli Roth

The kills and gore here were pretty top notch. For the most part, they looked great...

Oscar Potential: None
this is why you and I can never be friends.

ascribing 'Kills' and 'Gore' to pedestals of greatness when describing whether or not a film has value is something I just do not understand.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 10:28 AM
Is Alien just as good without the chest-burster scene?
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrazor
Is Alien just as good without the chest-burster scene?
Well, it certainly grabs one's attention.
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
Darjeeling Limited and Michael Clayton
... two of my personal favorites.




this is why you and I can never be friends.

ascribing 'Kills' and 'Gore' to pedestals of greatness when describing whether or not a film has value is something I just do not understand.

Youíre either a slasher fan or youíre not. Iíve always loved them. Talk About Movies: Part 4
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
Thirty Nine...
:/thread
Probably the right answer, but '41 and '53 have some pretty good films.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Probably the right answer, but '41 and '53 have some pretty good films.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
When we had the film year draft I took '67 with my first pick and stand by it!
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 08:53 PM
1972?
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 09:30 PM
1974
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote
11-20-2023 , 09:31 PM
‘72-‘77 are all amazing
Talk About Movies: Part 4 Quote

      
m