Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #3576
insidemanpoker
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,580
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/
insidemanpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3577
stupidHax0rz
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

ha thanks, i was actually looking for a place to get my back waxed

(im a guy)



(no ****)

Last edited by stupidHax0rz; 07-25-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: lol at h*m* being censored
stupidHax0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #3578
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidHax0rz View Post
ha thanks, i was actually looking for a place to get my back waxed

(im a guy)



(no ****)
I don't really know but every 2-3 blocks on Santa Fe there is a place that says "depilacion." You'll also find them throughout side streets in neighborhoods that are on the upscale side. Not that I live in the most upscale neighborhood but there are 4 places withing a 3 block radius of me. I'd walk in, ask if they work with men, and if they don't, ask that they point you in the direction of someone who does.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #3579
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

hey guys, any idea where i could get a replacement battery for my camera? it's a Nikon S70, it's a rechargable battery but i think it just died, i've had it for 4-5 years.

been to several Kodak shops that don't know, except for one Chinese guy who said he could get one for me by next Thurs, I was really hoping to be able to get it by this weekend though.
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #3580
sapol
Pooh-Bah
 
sapol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 3,822
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoss View Post
hey guys, any idea where i could get a replacement battery for my camera? it's a Nikon S70, it's a rechargable battery but i think it just died, i've had it for 4-5 years.

been to several Kodak shops that don't know, except for one Chinese guy who said he could get one for me by next Thurs, I was really hoping to be able to get it by this weekend though.
http://nikon.com.ar/
sapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #3581
winnercircle
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,782
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Sorry if this has been already answered, but what would an average monthly expense be in Argentina? Assuming a middle class type standard of living.
winnercircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #3582
insidemanpoker
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,580
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Your biggest expense will likely be your rent so it really just depends how you want to live. You could probably get away with paying $500 a month or 2k a month depending on what you want out of the place you live (area, how nice, roommates, etc). Spending outside of that is also really up to you. It isn't a particularly expensive place although read up on how not to get screwed in exchange.

It's strange to me how a thread that used to have so much life has completely died. Are things really so bad in BA now that people have lost all their enthusiasm?
insidemanpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #3583
MarGar
old hand
 
MarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,226
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Possible looking to come to buenosaires for a month in september.
What airlines do u recommend going there one-way from europe? (going to asia after), live in norway so have to get connecting flight
Will it be hard to get a place on such short notice? and only for a month...?.
MarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #3584
insidemanpoker
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,580
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Airline? Just book the cheapest flight because it makes very little difference unless duration matters to you in which case adjust based on that.

It will not be hard to get an apartment for a month, especially if you don't mind paying a little bit of a surcharge for being a tourist. With that said, do make sure to NEGOTIATE before agreeing to a price. Use the fact that it is last minute as a 'take it or leave it' position.

Assuming you aren't on a really strict budget, then just book this and do it. It will work out.
insidemanpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #3585
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapol View Post
thanks, i missed this reply but i got a new battery on "Camera Calle", it's not the official Nikon brand but decided to try it, so far so good.

Any of you guys have recommendations for long weekend trips? I'm a student and basically have more energy than money. I know it depends what I like, but basically I just want to see other interesting parts of the country that I can do fairly cheaply and within 2-4 day segments. I'm here until early Nov. and every weekend is 3 days (no Friday classes) and will have a couple 4-day wknds as well.

So far outside BA I've only been to Lujan which was nice IMO. Probably going to El Tigre/San Isidro. Cordoba seems fun but is it doable by bus over a long weekend (say, leaving Thurs. night and returning by Sunday night)? Worth checking out Rosario, La Plata, other suggestions, etc?

Think I will try taking the Buquebus to Uruguay at some point, is it reasonable to do Colonia and Montevideo in a couple days? Anything else I should see in Uruguay?

What are flights like to Bariloche, Mendoza, Ushuaia? I've heard conflicting stories about what in-country flights cost here.
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #3586
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Oh, almost forgot to add that I'm going to Iguazu in October with some people so looking for suggestions besides that.

Also going to Salta/Jujuy by bus after program ends in Nov, would it make sense to just save Rosario and Cordoba until then and hit them on the way? Will have a bit more time then.
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #3587
sapol
Pooh-Bah
 
sapol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 3,822
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoss View Post
thanks, i missed this reply but i got a new battery on "Camera Calle", it's not the official Nikon brand but decided to try it, so far so good.

Any of you guys have recommendations for long weekend trips? I'm a student and basically have more energy than money. I know it depends what I like, but basically I just want to see other interesting parts of the country that I can do fairly cheaply and within 2-4 day segments. I'm here until early Nov. and every weekend is 3 days (no Friday classes) and will have a couple 4-day wknds as well.

So far outside BA I've only been to Lujan which was nice IMO. Probably going to El Tigre/San Isidro. Cordoba seems fun but is it doable by bus over a long weekend (say, leaving Thurs. night and returning by Sunday night)? Worth checking out Rosario, La Plata, other suggestions, etc?

Think I will try taking the Buquebus to Uruguay at some point, is it reasonable to do Colonia and Montevideo in a couple days? Anything else I should see in Uruguay?

What are flights like to Bariloche, Mendoza, Ushuaia? I've heard conflicting stories about what in-country flights cost here.
Rosario, Iguazú, Bariloche, all Patagonia, Mendoza, Córdoba (multiple cities here) are all recommended. Mar del Plata and Pinamar are also nice buy closer to December when there's more people and the weather is better.

Flights to Bariloche and Mendoza shouldn't be super expensive. Ushuaia pretty sure is because it's a longer flight.

In Uruguay Punta del Este is nice (in December-February) and Montevideo is like a smaller Buenos Aires
sapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #3588
sapol
Pooh-Bah
 
sapol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 3,822
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Forgot Salta, Jujuy and Tucuman but never been there.

PM me if you need anything.
sapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #3589
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

is there some method i can use to deposit on Stars while i'm here that doesn't require obtaining an Argentine bank acct?
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #3590
Praetor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coaching/staking
Posts: 11,807
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Even if you had an Argy bank account you couldnt deposit to stars with it

How do you want to deposit, you have USD cash with you? There are people who will give you ONline money for cash I'm sure
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #3591
sapol
Pooh-Bah
 
sapol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 3,822
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
Even if you had an Argy bank account you couldnt deposit to stars with it

How do you want to deposit, you have USD cash with you? There are people who will give you ONline money for cash I'm sure
This is correct. PM if you need help with this.
sapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #3592
Jay.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jay.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,447
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

4 of us (all professional poker players) are moving down to BA from Playa Del Carmen in 5 weeks for 6 months.

So far we know to bring a bunch of USD and about the blue market rates and so forth and we're in the BA FB group. We're going to be looking for 4br places or 2 2br places in the same neighborhood. Recoleta, Palerma, San Telmo being the order of preferred. I've spent 4 weeks in BA, lived in Recoleta and my GF lived in San Telmo.

We're looking for real estate agent hook ups that any of you have used and have good recommendations, or websites you've used that you would recommend.

Also looking for general advice that we might not have thought of or missed.

Looking forward to having two meal meet ups w/ the community.
Jay. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #3593
SandmanNess
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Medellin
Posts: 2,706
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay. View Post
4 of us (all professional poker players) are moving down to BA from Playa Del Carmen in 5 weeks for 6 months.

So far we know to bring a bunch of USD and about the blue market rates and so forth and we're in the BA FB group. We're going to be looking for 4br places or 2 2br places in the same neighborhood. Recoleta, Palerma, San Telmo being the order of preferred. I've spent 4 weeks in BA, lived in Recoleta and my GF lived in San Telmo.

We're looking for real estate agent hook ups that any of you have used and have good recommendations, or websites you've used that you would recommend.

Also looking for general advice that we might not have thought of or missed.

Looking forward to having two meal meet ups w/ the community.
apartmentsba, luxuryba, vrbo, oasiscollections.com/buenosaires, and buenosaireshabitat should get you started.
SandmanNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3594
revlis87
See my coaching listing
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earning Cash-Back... Always
Posts: 1,763
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay. View Post
4 of us (all professional poker players) are moving down to BA from Playa Del Carmen in 5 weeks for 6 months.

So far we know to bring a bunch of USD and about the blue market rates and so forth and we're in the BA FB group. We're going to be looking for 4br places or 2 2br places in the same neighborhood. Recoleta, Palerma, San Telmo being the order of preferred. I've spent 4 weeks in BA, lived in Recoleta and my GF lived in San Telmo.

We're looking for real estate agent hook ups that any of you have used and have good recommendations, or websites you've used that you would recommend.

Also looking for general advice that we might not have thought of or missed.

Looking forward to having two meal meet ups w/ the community.
I'd strongly suggest not living in San Telmo, even though I kind of like it. It's just not a good place to live.

I'd also recommend you bring EVERY piece of computer equipment you need - it's basically impossible to get anything from the 21st century as far as technology goes down here so all monitors etc. that you might use.

If you want to make some money, offer to bring $ down for people or bring electronics and re-sell them if you're into that. Not my cup of tea, but there's def. a market for it.

I've set a bunch of people up down here with a reputable guy who does blue market rate stuff and comes to your house etc. If you're interested, PM me and I am happy to order the $ ahead of time for you and set it up. They do want $100's and not other denominations of bills...
revlis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #3595
revlis87
See my coaching listing
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earning Cash-Back... Always
Posts: 1,763
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Oh, and apparently you need to apply for your 10-year visa thing that you used to pay $150 for on arrival and have last 10 years BEFORE you get on the plane...I don't know the details, but check out baexpats.org and ask around. They're helpful.
revlis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #3596
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

revlis87 was referring to this:

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/...city-fee-visa/
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #3597
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

are there people in BsAs who can do relatively small Stars transfers for USD? like $100-200? (i want Stars)
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #3598
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

As in you pay them cash USD in person and they transfer you the same amount online? I'm sure there are. I'd be willing to help you out with this in a few weeks if no one else does.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #3599
TheHoss
journeyman
 
TheHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

yep, thats what i'm looking for.

also! - are there any bars where i can watch American Handegg??
TheHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #3600
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoss View Post
yep, thats what i'm looking for.

also! - are there any bars where i can watch American Handegg??

For addresses and phone numbers I'd google the names below with "buenos aires."

Casa Bar is my favorite. Their food is good. Only issue is sometimes their hours are strange. They might have some days/nights where they are not open; couldn't watch the UM/OSU game there last year because they didn't have people to work and I've had to leave in the middle of a MNF game before because they wanted to close.

Sugar bar has ok food. Overall alright place to watch games.

Both Alamos have football, although they are pits. Food is terrible.

Never been but I've heard that you can at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Don't know if Magdalena's Party does football.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive