Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #2501
soah
Unexpected
 
soah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 61,628
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

the one between Santa Fe and Honduras
soah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #2502
imakefrush
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 204
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soah View Post
the one between Santa Fe and Honduras
I kinda only catch glances over there when I cross the tracks, but had that developed into a full blown villa? I always remember seeing a dozen or so flimsy structures leaning against the warehouses. I guess a politician or their kid got robbed over there so the powers that be finally did something about it. It always blew my mind that if they stationed cops at the crossing of Honduras and Gorriti, muggings in Palermo would go down by half, yet I never saw one there.
imakefrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #2503
soah
Unexpected
 
soah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 61,628
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

First they said 50 families were removed, then they said it was "more than 30"

are there really a lot of muggings at the crossing on Honduras? I don't cross on Paraguay after dark but Honduras didn't seem as sketchy to me.
soah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #2504
sapol
Pooh-Bah
 
sapol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 3,822
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soah View Post
First they said 50 families were removed, then they said it was "more than 30"

are there really a lot of muggings at the crossing on Honduras? I don't cross on Paraguay after dark but Honduras didn't seem as sketchy to me.
Happy birthday Soah !!
sapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #2505
andrew7895
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Thanksgiving dinner at CasaBar in Recoleta starting today at 3PM in case anyone was looking! 80 pesos all-you-can eat with 2 drinks and all 3 NFL games playing; can't beat turkey and football GEAUX SAINTS! Happy Thanksgiving to all the yankees!
andrew7895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #2506
soah
Unexpected
 
soah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 61,628
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

OK, we're going to try this dinner thing again. This time I've got a few people confirmed already.

Thursday, 9 PM

"Garbis"

Scalabrini Ortiz and Cerviño

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=66

Anyone is welcome to just show up but I'd prefer that you let me know you're coming so we can get a big enough table for everyone.

Last edited by soah; 11-30-2010 at 11:59 PM.
soah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #2507
freedom.fries
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MX
Posts: 1,730
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Is it still true that an American can fly into any airport but EZE or take the ferry and avoid the $100 fee?
freedom.fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #2508
soah
Unexpected
 
soah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 61,628
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

as far as I know
soah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #2509
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom.fries View Post
Is it still true that an American can fly into any airport but EZE or take the ferry and avoid the $100 fee?
As far as I know as well. I think it has been increased to like $135 or something. Also, depending on what your situation is, you may just want to pay for the visa. You pay the fee once and then you don't have to again for 10 years.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #2510
MEC2210
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Chairman Wood's right, fwiw. My dad flies for Delta and I'm fairly in touch with international fees/visas, and obviously, right now, you can avoid the fee by getting into the country via any other way than EZE. But at some point Argentina's gonna realize that people are getting into their country for free, and put the squash on it. Just pay the $140 (I just came through EZE 3 weeks ago) and be done with it, it's 10 yrs anyways.
MEC2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #2511
MEC2210
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakefrush View Post
I kinda only catch glances over there when I cross the tracks, but had that developed into a full blown villa? I always remember seeing a dozen or so flimsy structures leaning against the warehouses. I guess a politician or their kid got robbed over there so the powers that be finally did something about it. It always blew my mind that if they stationed cops at the crossing of Honduras and Gorriti, muggings in Palermo would go down by half, yet I never saw one there.
it was never a villa, it's as safe as any area that is somewhat sketchy. The only reason it got shut down is because an Important Person's relative got mugged there.
MEC2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #2512
Nexeffect
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 108
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Guys are they strict about brining liquids onboard a trip from Ezeiza to brazil? Like sunscreen and contact solution in a plastic bag? Cause I just want to bring my carryon.
Nexeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #2513
LozColbert
Pooh-Bah
 
LozColbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 3,646
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

I usually hide the contact solution in my carryon and then put my carryon through the xray. at worst they will take your contact solution. this has worked the last couple times going to brazil.
LozColbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #2514
MEC2210
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Put it under a camera
MEC2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #2515
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexeffect View Post
Guys are they strict about brining liquids onboard a trip from Ezeiza to brazil? Like sunscreen and contact solution in a plastic bag? Cause I just want to bring my carryon.
As far as I know, most of the crazy searching through bags for liquids are only on flights to and from the US.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #2516
lead24
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 428
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Hey guys, can you guys give me some information or direct me to a site where i can get information on how to open a bank account (or what requirements i may need) upon entering the country. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
lead24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #2517
DrMagic
old hand
 
DrMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buenos Aires now imo
Posts: 1,376
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Lads,
Anyone had any dealings with a Magali Polak? Just looking for apartments atm so wanna make sure I'm not getting done obv
DrMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #2518
MEC2210
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMagic View Post
Lads,
Anyone had any dealings with a Magali Polak? Just looking for apartments atm so wanna make sure I'm not getting done obv
I rented through her, she's legit (and hot haha) but yeah the company she works for (the owner's name is zohan or zohar or smthg) is good and she's real good about being on top of stuff.
MEC2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #2519
DrMagic
old hand
 
DrMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buenos Aires now imo
Posts: 1,376
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2210 View Post
I rented through her, she's legit (and hot haha) but yeah the company she works for (the owner's name is zohan or zohar or smthg) is good and she's real good about being on top of stuff.
Cool cheers
DrMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #2520
MEC2210
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 377
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMagic View Post
Cool cheers
yeah and depending on where you wanna live, our old building was super nice and right across from her office, and had a rooftop pool for a decent price. tell her you're my friend maybe it will help things....add her on skype she's literally always on
MEC2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #2521
Chairman Wood
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,019
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead24 View Post
Hey guys, can you guys give me some information or direct me to a site where i can get information on how to open a bank account (or what requirements i may need) upon entering the country. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
I was hoping maybe someone would come in and answer this question as I fear that it will be a reoccurring question in the next few weeks.

There might be a few posts earlier in the thread about the process; I also believe that process has changed for most if not all banks. I really have no clue how to do it nowadays and the bank I used has closed their doors completely to non-residents unless they were grandfathered in.

It is a messy and silly process at times and overall it probably isn't worth the headaches. Furthermore, to get it to work where you are withdrawing from your poker accounts or e wallets to your Argentine account is an absolute nightmare.

If you are absolutely determined; the way I would go about it would be to get a list of Argentine banks and via their websites or just calling them, attempt to see what they require. I know a few years ago it varied from bank to bank and sometimes it may even vary from branch to branch as you will find that often, employees have no clue what is really going on.
Chairman Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2522
DrMagic
old hand
 
DrMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buenos Aires now imo
Posts: 1,376
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Another quick q guys, anyone had any dealings with sundblad properties? I saw a nice place today, that could be a goer should this guy be trustworthy.
DrMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #2523
amurophil
banned
 
amurophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Ottawa
Posts: 3,971
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

just to clarify: the poker games at the casino are raked 5% uncapped?
amurophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #2524
lead24
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 428
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wood View Post
I was hoping maybe someone would come in and answer this question as I fear that it will be a reoccurring question in the next few weeks.

There might be a few posts earlier in the thread about the process; I also believe that process has changed for most if not all banks. I really have no clue how to do it nowadays and the bank I used has closed their doors completely to non-residents unless they were grandfathered in.

It is a messy and silly process at times and overall it probably isn't worth the headaches. Furthermore, to get it to work where you are withdrawing from your poker accounts or e wallets to your Argentine account is an absolute nightmare.

If you are absolutely determined; the way I would go about it would be to get a list of Argentine banks and via their websites or just calling them, attempt to see what they require. I know a few years ago it varied from bank to bank and sometimes it may even vary from branch to branch as you will find that often, employees have no clue what is really going on.
thank you very much for the reply chairman. Im gonna get in contact with some banks and hope for the best.
lead24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #2525
andrew7895
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
Re: Moving to Buenos Aires discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurophil View Post
just to clarify: the poker games at the casino are raked 5% uncapped?
In Puerto Madero si... I haven't been there before but I'm pretty sure the casino in Tigre is only $50 pesos every two hours.
andrew7895 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive