Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #28226
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 25,979
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
Those aren't backstories though. Those are entirely new episodic plots written up by completely different people decades after the fact in order to milk a cash cow.

Of course, YMMV.
I don't see how you can say that unless you take any new films as illegitimate by default. If that's the case, I disagree.

I also disagree with the assertion that they're making these movies purely as a cash grab. There are an enormous amount of people working on these films who put their heart into telling a great story.

Of course, ymmv for how you approach making art
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #28227
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,449
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Danny Boyle to direct James Bond #25...

Solo tonight in3diMax
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #28228
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Why didn't I use Clojure instead?
Posts: 22,540
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustoRhymes View Post
I don't see how you can say that unless you take any new films as illegitimate by default. If that's the case, I disagree.

I also disagree with the assertion that they're making these movies purely as a cash grab. There are an enormous amount of people working on these films who put their heart into telling a great story.

Of course, ymmv for how you approach making art
It's business, which is, by definition, profit-driven. Dumping money into Star Wars Episode #752 is going to generate a buck. There's a reason they do Star Wars over and over instead of Metropolis.

On the same token, I'm not so jaded that I believe everyone involved has no interest in the movie itself. The profit motives has zero bearing on my opinion of the final product. The opposite would be claiming a low-budget film is excellent because it isn't a cash grab (by default).
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #28229
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 25,979
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveT View Post
It's business, which is, by definition, profit-driven. Dumping money into Star Wars Episode #752 is going to generate a buck. There's a reason they do Star Wars over and over instead of Metropolis.

On the same token, I'm not so jaded that I believe everyone involved has no interest in the movie itself. The profit motives has zero bearing on my opinion of the final product. The opposite would be claiming a low-budget film is excellent because it isn't a cash grab (by default).
Hi dave,

Agreed.

Obviously we are in a capitalist system. The people making them want them to make money. It was the assertion that the movies are being made only as a cash grab that ruffled my feathers.

Such a claim dismisses the people who work on such a film, least of all the screenwriter, and want the movie to tell a good story in addition to make money.
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26 AM   #28230
chopstick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chopstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 7,865
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Busto - it doesn't dismiss anyone who works on the film. Both of these things can exist simultaneously. The reason for Solo being made is 100% a cash grab. It's not right or wrong, it just is. It also doesn't mean that there aren't passionate people who care about telling a good story who worked on it. These things are not mutually exclusive. Shuffle is wrong about the backstories point in a similar manner - of course they are backstories. They are also attempts to milk the cash cow at the same time.

mrbaseball raises excellent points. The reason for these movies being made is irrelevant to whether or not they are enjoyable. Like him, I am also StarWarsed out don't care about it anymore. If I catch Solo on a flight at some point, that would be fine. The production studios oversaturate their markets with excessive franchises (now rebranded as XXXXX Cinematic Universe) because they want to maximize profit by exploiting their IP as much as possible. They are businesses, that's what they do. It's been this way for a long time and it's not going to change any time soon. If someone doesn't like it, the best thing they can do is vote with their wallet.
chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 AM   #28231
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 25,979
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

chop,

I'm unsure what you are disagreeing with. I, too, said these things can exist simultaneously, and that I only took umbrage if Shuffle was dismissing the films ONLY as cash grabs. I invited Shuffle to clarify if that's not what they meant.

I could nit it up over your claim that it is 100% a cash grab, but that's probably a semantic disagreement. I concede that I'm speaking from the bias of being a similar kind of content creator as what I'm arguing toward. For me, a story concept that is likely to thrill audiences AND make tons of cash go together so often (at least the intent to come up with them together) that I just take it as a matter of course.
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #28232
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,912
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

My statement wasn't qualitative. I think it's incorrect to say "this is so-and-so character's backstory" when a new movie is written and filmed by different people decades later. It's fanfiction with a very large budget.
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:13 AM   #28233
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,449
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Solo... very surprising, surprisingly great!

The movie Solo was not great in the sense that I was watching cinematic genius, but solo was great as in very very entertaining.

The look and style of the movie, the thin storyline and the acting all seemed to work very well within the context of the "Star Wars" universe.

The single great surprise of Solo was
Spoiler:


These alternative storylines, Rogue One and Solo, have really out shown the original series movies by a wide margin.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #28234
skiier04
Pooh-Bah
 
skiier04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,078
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Solo... very surprising, surprisingly great!

The movie Solo was not great in the sense that I was watching cinematic genius, but solo was great as in very very entertaining.

The look and style of the movie, the thin storyline and the acting all seemed to work very well within the context of the "Star Wars" universe.

The single great surprise of Solo was
Spoiler:


These alternative storylines, Rogue One and Solo, have really out shown the original series movies by a wide margin.
Definitely agree with this. Caught a 10am screening this morning and it blew my low expectations out of the water. More pumped for a Solo sequel than episode 9 now haha. If TLJ left a bad taste in your mouth I'd still say give this one a chance.
skiier04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 PM   #28235
g-bebe
because robots are strong
 
g-bebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JOSEPH VINCENT FLACCO
Posts: 19,105
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Detroit was just meh. Felt messy and disjointed, pretty disappointed actually after Bigelow's last two efforts of The Hurt Locker and ZDT.
g-bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #28236
UthersGhost
adept
 
UthersGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 752
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Maze https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5752606/

Pretty good drama inspired by the Maze prison breakout in 1983 during which
38 IRA members escaped.

I was serving during this time and had arrived at the Maze the evening of the breakout.
I'd only been in NI for a few weeks by then and remember, as I went through the main gate and seeing all the hullabaloo going on, thinking to myself, 'what the **** have I gotton myself into?'
As it was my first night there I was just told to stay in the rec room and stay out of the way. Suited me just fine
UthersGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:18 PM   #28237
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 25,979
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
My statement wasn't qualitative. I think it's incorrect to say "this is so-and-so character's backstory" when a new movie is written and filmed by different people decades later. It's fanfiction with a very large budget.
Fair.

FWIW, I like fan fiction
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:33 PM   #28238
John Cole
Lounge Nighthawk
 
John Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know
Posts: 12,929
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustoRhymes View Post
Fair.

FWIW, I like fan fiction
You better!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 PM   #28239
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 25,979
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online