Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Puzzles and Other Games Discussions about Puzzles and other non-gambling games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #201
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
Do you have to choose the 100 million people, or will a random 1% of the population be acceptable?
Random's acceptable, though I'd be sad that I'd be about to die and so would most people I know.

It would be better if I got to choose, of course — I'd choose people who were conscious and caring about the environment.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #202
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

My only experience with wigs was on the low end of the quality spectrum, and gives me the shivers even just thinking of it. Actually, that's not true, I have another experience but that involved me in the wig.

I agree, atak. When mankind is gone, nature will eliminate the idea that intelligence is an evolutionary advantage and go back to producing insects, who are the real rulers of the planet.
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #203
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Also, 100 million isn't necessarily best. Anywhere from 100 to maybe 500 million would be the sweet spot for the earth, I think, but I could be wrong about the details.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #204
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

According to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
100mn only gets you back to 500BC.
I'm thinking nearer 1mn might be better.
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #205
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokiri View Post
I agree, atak. When mankind is gone, nature will eliminate the idea that intelligence is an evolutionary advantage and go back to producing insects, who are the real rulers of the planet.
Intelligence is likely to evolve again, given time. My evidence for this, weak though it is, is that it happened once.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #206
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Be back in a bit, sorry.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #207
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholasp27 View Post
isn't the one where i kept saying hitch was wolf and nobody would believe me? but it was based on who he subbed in for, rather than hitch himself?
Yes. But iirc the original wolf only made one post.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #208
Epicurus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Epicurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,683
Re: The well: atakdog

interesting read.
Epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #209
amplify
Eternal Unknowable Mesmerizing
 
amplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: brilliant diffusion majestic space
Posts: 78,250
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokiri View Post
According to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
100mn only gets you back to 500BC.
I'm thinking nearer 1mn might be better.
Excellent point, but indigenous populations in the Americas were overfishing, overhunting, and setting fire to enormous areas of habitat thousands of years before that, clearly not pursuing the kind of ecological balance for which they are always lauded. You do need a population large enough to ensure genetic variation though. And the pop. will grow so you'll have to periodically cull.

But hey, Bucky only wanted to kill all the Jews.
amplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #210
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
Excellent point, but indigenous populations in the Americas were overfishing, overhunting, and setting fire to enormous areas of habitat thousands of years before that, clearly not pursuing the kind of ecological balance for which they are always lauded. You do need a population large enough to ensure genetic variation though. And the pop. will grow so you'll have to periodically cull.

But hey, Bucky only wanted to kill all the Jews.
Am i right that there's greater genetic variation in Africa than there is outside it? Dunno how you'd measure it, but i'm pretty sure you don't need that many to ensure sufficient genetics, especially if you get to pick.
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #211
Nicholasp27
27th level thinker
 
Nicholasp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 77,765
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
Yes, that was it. You convinced me, really, but there was not enough for a consensus and no one was listening to you that game because of your early play.
just reread it and don't think your recollection of it was accurate

u didn't want to vote hitch until the very end

in fact, i had to selfvote myself (which i never do) in an effort to get u to lynch hitch the next day

i recommend rereading it as it was a fun read and had lots to it
Nicholasp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #212
McAvoy
banned
 
McAvoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Apostle of Hope
Posts: 46,476
Re: The well: atakdog

Do you really think you have the stones to press a button to kill 500 million people?
McAvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #213
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: The well: atakdog

great well.

also, this is why i tried to do a shortened well in the pub, because i woudent have been able write the long answers that atak is, and because im not that interesting. i did have a few storys that i wanted to tell that i dident get a chance to, but i doubt that most people whould have wanted to hear them.

/talking about myself

atak,

if you could make the perfect ww player, what would he/she consist of?

how would you change my playing style to make me better?

how do you feel about the current run of very large mish-mash games vs smaller vanilla-ish games?
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #214
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAvoy View Post
Do you really think you have the stones to press a button to kill 500 million people?
Yes. (also: note that I was talking about killing a few billion)

As I said, I'd hesitate. I'd need to be sure. But fear wouldn't hold me back, at least not forever. Remember, I have contemplated my own death several times, which is a similarly big deal from my perspective. I've stood by the tacks and felt the pressure wave as the engine flew by, ad it wasn't fear that kept me off the tracks, it was just not being sure. And when I was trapped in my kayak under water, my thought wasn't to panic or even to be afraid, it was very calm, slow "I think I'm probably about to die."

I could do it.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #215
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholasp27 View Post
just reread it and don't think your recollection of it was accurate

u didn't want to vote hitch until the very end

in fact, i had to selfvote myself (which i never do) in an effort to get u to lynch hitch the next day

i recommend rereading it as it was a fun read and had lots to it
I may be recalling badly, it's true. I know I kept waffling at f5 — but I did know that killing someone who was probably a villager was likely to help regardless, because I didn't trust her to help at all and I knew she might gun for me later. It helped clean up the game so I/we could make better decisions.

Anyway, that is my recollection. When I pushed for her lynch I said it was because I thought she was a wolf,, but I was lying — one of the few times I've lied strongly (except about seer stuff) as a villager.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #216
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
Excellent point, but indigenous populations in the Americas were overfishing, overhunting, and setting fire to enormous areas of habitat thousands of years before that, clearly not pursuing the kind of ecological balance for which they are always lauded. You do need a population large enough to ensure genetic variation though. And the pop. will grow so you'll have to periodically cull.

But hey, Bucky only wanted to kill all the Jews.
I'm not too concerned about genetic variation in a population that large — this isn't inbred cheetahs we're talking about. So cultural forces, as you cite, would make a big difference in my choice.

I'd also choose, if I could, cultures wherein the people seem to have respect for each other. What good starting over with people who seem doomed to destroy each other again?
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #217
BitchiBee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 24,622
Re: The well: atakdog

lol what culture is that?
BitchiBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #218
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Re werewolf games of individual players: please, y'all don't be offended if I can't describe your games off the top of my head. I don't want to be wrong about this, because it's important... and I'll tell you how I know:

The single most important thing to my werewolf "career" was in shortline's well. He put me on his list of new players he thought might turn out to be really good. I think if he hadn't done that I'd have been much more likely simply to think of villagering as a mystery I wouldn't ever solve; with him having said it, I determined to make him right. (This was sometime in the middle of 2008, btw.)

I also decided, then, that I hoped some day to do a well that influenced someone in some way.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #219
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchiBee View Post
lol what culture is that?
I'm not sure there is one, unfortunately. I'm taking suggestions.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #220
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
how do you feel about the current run of very large mish-mash games vs smaller vanilla-ish games?
I don't love it. The games are more about design; too many are unbalanced, and in even the best-designed of them the power roles are such a huge part of the game that vanillagers justifiably feel left out.

Also, I think people are becoming "experienced" without ever having and to learn actually to play well. That's not awful, but it does mean a whole lot of players aren't as good as they think they are, and don't have terrific opportunities to become better.

However, I do believe that complex games are very important, in part because they keep the potential moderators and game designers interested. Moderating a vanilla game has its charms, but frankly if that were all there were we'd have a lot fewer games.

I also do like force lightning...
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #221
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
Re werewolf games of individual players: please, y'all don't be offended if I can't describe your games off the top of my head. I don't want to be wrong about this, because it's important... and I'll tell you how I know:

The single most important thing to my werewolf "career" was in shortline's well. He put me on his list of new players he thought might turn out to be really good. I think if he hadn't done that I'd have been much more likely simply to think of villagering as a mystery I wouldn't ever solve; with him having said it, I determined to make him right. (This was sometime in the middle of 2008, btw.)

I also decided, then, that I hoped some day to do a well that influenced someone in some way.
yea this is true. there are alot of us.

would you be able to make a similar list, since you are one of the most respected players around right now.

also, you were asked who you enjoy playing with. are there any players that if you see in the sign up thread, you hesitate about signing up with because you just dont like playing with them?
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #222
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 54,024
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
Every single one? that's not what I want. As you know, I'd press it in a heartbeat if it left 100 million people alive...

Probably not when first given the bomb... I'd be afraid it was wrong. But a day would come when I would. I think it is at least fifty percent likely that humans are an experiment that is on the way to failure, by which I mean they are going to destroy most of the rest of the life they encounter; I'd like to try again.
this number isn't that far off from the number that those in control want
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #223
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
interesting read.
... which comment reminds me that I think epi is the once-active player I miss the most.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #224
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyman View Post
Have you ever thought about starting and running your own test-prep company? What things would keep you from doing that? If the story about you leaving TPR has anything to do with it (like you never want to teach test prep again), I'm happy just to wait for the story.

I assume the largest barrier would be competition from TPR, et al, but maybe there are other reasons that you'd never do it.
I have no desire, absolutely none, to be an entrepreneur. I just want to do what I'm good at; in the context of test prep, that's teaching. One thing I really liked about working for TPR, once I got the reputation of being the best, was that I could just walk in and ask which class I was teaching — I didn't have to worry about anything else. I even had my own classroom, which no other teacher had — if I was working, I was in that room (90% of the time), so I could just walk in and ask the studenst which class it was, and we'd be good to go. (I once got a bit int a physics lecture before finding out it was an LSAT class...)

Relatedly, I certainly appreciate money but am willing to sacrifice very little to get it; I think that most people who pursue monetary goals hard are justified in doing so, because the world revolves around money... but I'm proud and happy that I'm not like they are.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #225
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc View Post
this number isn't that far off from the number that those in control want
I don't know how to avoid harmful oligarchy no matter how many people there are, unfortunately.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive