Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Puzzles and Other Games Discussions about Puzzles and other non-gambling games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #576
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 54,024
Re: The well: atakdog

the road is nice
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #577
XXsooted
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
XXsooted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: not sure
Posts: 32,335
Re: The well: atakdog

sick read by JD
XXsooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #578
Andynan
xD
 
Andynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Inside the Box
Posts: 27,680
Re: The well: atakdog

hmmmmm... road....
Andynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #579
XXsooted
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
XXsooted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: not sure
Posts: 32,335
Re: The well: atakdog

that's a freaky word man
XXsooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #580
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 78,091
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc View Post
I enjoyed this book but I can't imagine it's going to make an atheist suddenly doubt their philosophical views.
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #581
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 78,091
Re: The well: atakdog

I'm sad that I haven't had time to properly read more than like 2 pages of this thread but it's pretty amazing. And it's pretty exciting about the trip to Scotland.

Send Mojo to Atak imo
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #582
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 54,024
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
I enjoyed this book but I can't imagine it's going to make an atheist suddenly doubt their philosophical views.
yes, I said start by reading that book

my school has a whole curriculum you know.....
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #583
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 78,091
Re: The well: atakdog

Oh sweet. What's next? I am ready for the Dustin school of particle physics as well.
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #584
FCBLComish
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FCBLComish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Retired from WW
Posts: 21,060
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLady View Post
A POGer offered to pay for the whole (not insubstantial) plane ticket
One way or round trip?

I have not had a chance to comment, but I think this is the best well that we have had.
FCBLComish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #585
TimeLady
****ing planet
 
TimeLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: as below, so above
Posts: 58,486
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBLComish View Post
One way or round trip?

I have not had a chance to comment, but I think this is the best well that we have had.
round trip, unfortunately

and I agree, though I might be biased slightly
TimeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #586
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 54,024
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
Oh sweet. What's next? I am ready for the Dustin school of particle physics as well.
will have to think about this

it might be The Holographic Universe, but I'm not sure

Something that tries to further bridge the mind/matter gap though
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #587
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 78,091
Re: The well: atakdog

I think I read a bit of that. I take it your trying to work towards a sort of scientific acceptance of subjective experience, or inter-subjective experience? I'm kind of on that train, in a sense.
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #588
ElliotR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ElliotR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Contacting SoCal Approach on 127.3
Posts: 30,029
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXsooted View Post
Not at all implying you do this often, but do you feel bad at all when you tell someone they made a terrible kill in wolfchat? Do you worry they won't like you? And I assume your brutal honesty that I've seen in wolfchat is also there in the real world?

Again not saying you go out of your way to be mean but you definitely tell it how it is, which is something I both respect and wonder about because I'm not sure that I'm capable of doing that myself
I would *sooo* like to be on a wolf team with atak someday. It still bugs me that I was a neutral with atak and bigger in LOTR but I didn't get to chat with them because I was "lost" and by the time I joined the team they were dead.
ElliotR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #589
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
[LIST][*]A solid technical understanding of the numerical aspects of the games — it amazes me how many people don't get that. I mean, probably a solid majority of players don't even know who many villager peeks, or wolf peeks, or a combination (note: trick question) are necessary for a seer lock, nor could they even figure it out.
I was definitely guilty of this. I never even thought about it until my last game--a vanilla 21er where you were one of the seers and I was a wolf. What amazed me in that game was that even though, by day 4, neither seer had peeked any wolf, it village could lock it up, not by peeking a wolf, but by peeking a villager. And that the correct wolf play wasn't to NK the seers, but to NK a villager. So the game ended with none of the wolves being peeked, but conceding anyway because a sufficient number of villagers had been peeked to make the game a lock.

I just never knew such a scenario was possible.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #590
amplify
Eternal Unknowable Mesmerizing
 
amplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: brilliant diffusion majestic space
Posts: 78,250
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLady View Post
A POGer offered to pay for the whole (not insubstantial) plane ticket
this pogga is teh awesome imo
amplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #591
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
What all that means (assuming it's true) is complex. I suppose it could be argued that that implies that chess is a deeper game intellectually, and that may be so — bridge requires a much broader skill set, so it attracts people who are good at many things.
I would have thought the fact that bridge involves playing with a partner whereas chess is played individually explains the majority of it. Funny, because going from what little i know of you (and this well) i would associate you much more with the chess playing people i have met than the bridge playing people.
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #592
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
this pogga is teh awesome imo
Um, yeah, that's pretty clear.

And if you read this whole well you'll realize just how big a deal it was for me.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #593
BombayBadboy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BombayBadboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CRAI me a river.
Posts: 10,137
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
I was definitely guilty of this. I never even thought about it until my last game--a vanilla 21er where you were one of the seers and I was a wolf. What amazed me in that game was that even though, by day 4, neither seer had peeked any wolf, it village could lock it up, not by peeking a wolf, but by peeking a villager. And that the correct wolf play wasn't to NK the seers, but to NK a villager. So the game ended with none of the wolves being peeked, but conceding anyway because a sufficient number of villagers had been peeked to make the game a lock.

I just never knew such a scenario was possible.
My first game!

Tbh, I always try to figure out all the numbers: how manhy villagers do we need to mislynch, who are those villagers going to be etc etc. I could still improve on alot of the technicalities though.
BombayBadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #594
amplify
Eternal Unknowable Mesmerizing
 
amplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: brilliant diffusion majestic space
Posts: 78,250
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
And if you read this whole well you'll realize just how big a deal it was for me.
I both resent the implication that I have not read all of your well and admit to it.
amplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #595
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
I both resent the implication that I have not read all of your well and admit to it.
I've read a lot of it, but there's this "atakdog" guy who keeps writing essays. F that.
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #596
kokiri
ffermwr moch
 
kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Less moch, more defaid
Posts: 52,227
Re: The well: atakdog

Based on the answers itt, you seem to have a phenomenally high level of self confidence in your analytical abilities/perception, and yet a similarly high level of introspection. Do you have any self doubt? Is that a good thing or a bad thing in WW? In the real world?
kokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #597
Pyromaniac
enduring
 
Pyromaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bang agon
Posts: 17,593
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
this pogga is teh awesome imo
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000
Pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #598
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaz View Post
What would you say is the most annoyed you´ve been in a game of ww and why? Does you annoyance normally stem out of the "incompetence" of other players, or the fact that you may have overlooked something?
I get somewhat annoyed at people being bad at the game, but mostly I can move beyond that. It is unacceptable to be mad at someone for not being better at something than he is.

The most annoyed I've been by far was at OrangeRake, starting in the Playboy game I linked earlier. NOt because she got it wrong, but because I thiought had she tried she would have gotten it right. I blew up at her the next time we played, because for the first few days of the game she was joking around in the thread but was quite open about the fact that she wasn't going to bother trying until it got to end game, and would not ever read the whole thread. I viewed this as unacceptable, in a a team game.

To be very, very clear: my blowup was not acceptable. Feeling anger was human; letting it out was antisocial. I should have been banned (temporarily imo) for it.

Last edited by atakdog; 11-17-2009 at 02:46 PM.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #599
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplify View Post
I both resent the implication that I have not read all of your well and admit to it.
I wasn't talking about you at all. It was clear that you had (I thought); I was using your comment as a springboard to emphasize the importance of what has happened to me in the last 48 hours, and in particular of one person's generosity.

Sorry it wasn't clear.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #600
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: The well: atakdog

Apologies again — I have go take my tax final (early, because of the trip).

Worry not: I will answer all questions.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive