Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Puzzles and Other Games Discussions about Puzzles and other non-gambling games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #9201
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,313
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
The two opinions I mentioned of yours was trickle down to economics was your stance on Israel. You extrapolated, incorrectly, that this meant that I think anybody who disagrees with me is ridiculous. You are a math teacher right? Do you understand the idea of small sample size?

Funnily enough I have debated with you. But you do exactly what zorkman does. You baldy assert things in the thread with no backing aside from ďreasoning youíd find in a high school economics classĒ level arguments. When I then offer you actual research you ignore it or say you will read it later or whatever and you never do. You donít want your mind changed. You are the one who doesnít want to debate. You think because you assert something or have an opinion on it then it is automatically valid. But that is not how life works. Trickle down economics is a complete farce.
i have more of a moral problem with taxing the rich too high than a belief that it will all trickle down without government intervention

keeping the tax low on businesses and capital gains is more important to me than keeping the highest income tax rate low, but i still dont htink we should have 50% rates

i asked you to repost the israel video, but you also dont listen to anything i have to say on it as well
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #9202
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
You haven’t, but you must assume that what comes post revolutionary change is an improvement over the status quo since you want that change to happen, and I can’t imagine a scenario post revolution that would cause you to want the revolution so I assumed you believe it would be different than I believe it would be
Ok so your argument is basically any social upheaval would not lead to a better society?

That is a fairly bold stance imo
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #9203
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Is it ironic or just funny that I think Mets and his ilk have a far greater chance of bringing on the revolution than Birdman, Filthy, and their comrades lol
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #9204
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandfinsfan View Post
i have more of a moral problem with taxing the rich too high than a belief that it will all trickle down without government intervention

keeping the tax low on businesses and capital gains is more important to me than keeping the highest income tax rate low, but i still dont htink we should have 50% rates
Any reason for believing any of this?
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #9205
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
Ok so your argument is basically any social upheaval would not lead to a better society?

That is a fairly bold stance imo
No, my stance is that any system that I believe falls in the range of possible outcomes post communist revolution would not be an improvement. There are certainly outcomes that are theoretically possible that I would consider an improvement, I just donít think any of those have a realistic shot of actually happening
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #9206
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Range of possible outcomes is poorly phrased - I meant realistic possible outcomes
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #9207
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Interesting that Herbie would have been on the side of King George III, Louis the XVI, and the Russia Czars
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #9208
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
No, my stance is that any system that I believe falls in the range of possible outcomes post communist revolution would not be an improvement. There are certainly outcomes that are theoretically possible that I would consider an improvement, I just donít think any of those have a realistic shot of actually happening
But again youíve already said your assumption is not based on any post Iíve made, you said that a revolution could not lead to a better world
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #9209
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 32,300
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
Is it ironic or just funny that I think Mets and his ilk have a far greater chance of bringing on the revolution than Birdman, Filthy, and their comrades lol
Can you elaborate on this?
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #9210
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
Interesting that Herbie would have been on the side of King George III, Louis the XVI, and the Russia Czars
The ridiculous amount of extrapolation required to get from what I posed to here means thereís no reasonable way to confirm or refute it, but I can say that there is not nearly enough evidence to state this as either fact or reasonable inference
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #9211
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Basically, Herbie, I understand what you meant to say I’m just trolling you. What you mean to say is “based on what I think communism is, I think capitalism is better”. But you just tried to spruce that banal and uninformed opinion up by attributing a communist vision to me and phrasing it in a intellectual sounding way
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #9212
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
But again youíve already said your assumption is not based on any post Iíve made, you said that a revolution could not lead to a better world
Given the particulars of where we are right now I genuinely believe that. That doesnít mean I donít think a revolution in different circumstances couldnít lead to a better world, or that a revolution wonít be necessary in the future. You extrapolate way too far from what I say
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #9213
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
The ridiculous amount of extrapolation required to get from what I posed to here means thereís no reasonable way to confirm or refute it, but I can say that there is not nearly enough evidence to state this as either fact or reasonable inference
I want to know how you can argue against a world you claimed Iíve envisioned when you admitted you have no idea what world I envision. Or feel free to rephrase the opening to that post if you feel you didnít mean what you said
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #9214
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
Birdman can I think
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #9215
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,313
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
Any reason for believing any of this?
knowing how much my parents struggles in the 70s and did well in the 80s is a start

i dont need evidence to have a moral belief that its wrong to punish people for being successful

i know i work harder at jobs that have merit raises and bonuses than at union jobs. well not true, im a new teacher and will work my ass off. but yes i think merit incentive always works, and i think punishing people who make money doesnt

my friend is a psychiatrist in colorado and stopped taking patients in 2015 because he didnt want to make over 250 because "hed be workijng for free"

regardless what evidence do you have that marxism will work when most of the communist regimes have failed? i knwo ive asked this before
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #9216
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,313
Re: POG Politics Thread

Since Stalin was hugely in favor of the State of Israel i've hoped we'd see eye to eye one day!
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #9217
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
I want to know how you can argue against a world you claimed Iíve envisioned when you admitted you have no idea what world I envision. Or feel free to rephrase the opening to that post if you feel you didnít mean what you said
I argued against a world I think you envision because you want the revolution to happen. If Iím wrong about what kind of world you envision then I still donít agree with you but for different reasons. So I withdraw any claims to know or suppose what kind of world you see post revolution if that makes you feel better
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #9218
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandfinsfan View Post
my friend is a psychiatrist in colorado and stopped taking patients in 2015 because he didnt want to make over 250 because "hed be workijng for free"
Iím not sure how having a friend that doesnít understand math advances your case?
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #9219
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,313
Re: POG Politics Thread

Maybe you will find this interesting birdman

https://fee.org/articles/the-jewish-...ary-communism/
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #9220
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,313
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
Iím not sure how having a friend that doesnít understand math advances your case?
he understood math, and so did his accountant.
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #9221
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandfinsfan View Post
he understood math, and so did his accountant.
Then heís clearly subject to the secret 100% psychiatrist tax in Colorado that is so poorly understood
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #9222
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 32,300
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotawerewolf View Post
"if that horse has a single horn, it is a unicorn" is a tautological assertion that makes no factual finding whatsoever
As a bird watcher this post seems relevant to my interests but I'm not sure if you are wrong or not..

Like if I see something that is flying like a woodpecker with a white rump and I'm in the right area then I know it is a northern flicker. The factual finding can simply be 'this is the only possible animal that matches those characteristics in this habitat'.

Sort of like 'if I see a mostly red bird in Wisconsin in December then it is a male cardinal'. I'm not sure that counts as a tautology. I don't think it is. You seem to be conflating 'if A then B' style arguments with 'if A then A' tautologies.
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #9223
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

But I suppose based on the rules we established earlier him working for free is a factual statement so we can move on lol
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #9224
Birdman10687
Not a Troll IRL
 
Birdman10687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a world of magnets and miracles.
Posts: 26,440
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieGRD View Post
I argued against a world I think you envision because you want the revolution to happen. If Iím wrong about what kind of world you envision then I still donít agree with you but for different reasons. So I withdraw any claims to know or suppose what kind of world you see post revolution if that makes you feel better
It does make me feel better. Thank you for withdrawing that.

Next point Iíd like to clarify...

Instead of overstepping and assuming what I think you mean, instead Iíll just ask you to elaborate on what you mean when you said ďyou want the revolutionĒ If you wouldnít mind
Birdman10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #9225
HerbieGRD
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
HerbieGRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Always
Posts: 24,261
Re: POG Politics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman10687 View Post
It does make me feel better. Thank you for withdrawing that.

Next point Iíd like to clarify...

Instead of overstepping and assuming what I think you mean, instead Iíll just ask you to elaborate on what you mean when you said ďyou want the revolutionĒ If you wouldnít mind
As far as I can tell you have argued both that

In order to have a communist system a country must first undergo a communist revolution in addition to some other stuff and

You think we should have a communist system here because it is superior to capitalism

Based on those two points I inferred that you think we should have a communist revolution here
HerbieGRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online