Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest

01-31-2024 , 07:29 PM
These are the current standings.

YearIMDB 6.5OpeningDisneyCormanVillainScreenplayAvg
D191x19234.17
Filthy133810x14.33
Nich32294654.43
Aaron45732464.43
Boltx71285105.50
Xander5x8107325.83
eb1065438x6.00
Zeus291056196.00
Rick84675946.14
Zurvan6104x11086.50
Ferenc7896x777.33
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-02-2024 , 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt2112
Armageddon is a classic film about an earth killing meteor.
I'm really not surprised I finished last after reading that sentence.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-02-2024 , 01:22 PM
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-08-2024 , 07:00 AM
Best Fantasy Movies SLOW REVEAL

OK I'm going to start with the movies that I'd listed as my favourites that weren't picked. I listed 5....and only one got picked which will be revealed as number 1!

In no particular order.....

1) The Fellowship of the ring
The best Lord Of The Rings movie it balances whimsy with action incredibly well and IMO demands the most of the acting performances. The deaths hit home the most (GANDAAAALF) and as an introduction to a series that has dominated my life since (I did my English dissertation on the Gods of the lord of the rings....) it holds an extremely special place in my heart


2) The two towers
The second best LOTR movie. I think the battle sequence at Helms Deep is the best long form battle in cinema- it contains more epic moments and jump out your seat elements that any other battle scene I've watched (although it doesn't include the single greatest battle sequence....)
additionally, whilst its not as tight as fellowship there is a concreteness and flow of storyline that still keeps you glued the whole way through
Spoiler:
this does start slipping as the series goes on.

Also how ****ing cool was this scene:

Whenever I see double doors now I try and copy it

3) Edward Scissorhands

IMO the best Tim Burton movie thats not Big Fish.
Really cool movie and a great acting performance too from JD

4) Labryinth


This one is tough for you guys to get, and, the reason mostly is that my dad and I watched it a few times together so it's got a very close space in my heart. I dunno how well I'd have ranked it if you guys picked it but I think that personal bias overcomes and questions I have on quality

5) TO BE REVEALED
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-08-2024 , 07:20 PM
I ran out of popcorn. Going to get another tub.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 07:02 AM
There were nine submissions:

- Return Of The Kind, Filthy Vermin
- The princess bride, Aaron
- Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, Bolt
- Green mile, Zurvan
- Zardoz, French
- Pans Labyrinth- d1
- Monthy python and the holy grail- nich
- Spirited Away - eyebooger
- Donnie Darko - rick
- Swiss army man- Xander


Of this list...there were three I actively just don't like.

We'll start with them:

9th place: Zardoz- Ferencl
Maybe I'm just too wired up on modern movies and have had my focus destroyed by a combination of ADHD and TikTok, but jfc, I (a) had no idea what was going on in this movie, and, (b) no ability to pay attention
It's just so indulgent and clearly a passion project or a movie where the creators were given way too much freedom.

not for me

8th place- Pan’s Labyrinth - D1
I saw this in the cinema when it came out, and, I was a bit younger, so watched a recap instead of the full movie (sorry.)

But I didn't like it at the time, and, nothing in the recap made me change my mind.

I think I might be "empirically" wrong on this one based on the critics reviews, but, I just don't "get" it.

7th place- Harry Potter & the prisoner of Azkaban - bolt
Eh look, I think the Harry Potter movies are mostly trash.

The main three child actors are asked to do too much (including in this film) and they just aren't good enough at acting to keep me within the zone.

Also, it think the plots of Harry Potter have too many threads to easily transfer in to film- and- I don't think its successful here. Where Peter Jackson succeeds, in exchange for incredibly long movies, Cuaron just doesn't do it for me. Its too long winded, and, like Zardoz, I just found myself picking up my phone frequently through my rewatch
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:08 AM
OK now for the placing movies....

These were all admittedly very good, but, the top 5 were "fantastic" and escalated to a level that unfortunately number 6 just couldn't match:

7th place - Swiss Army Man - Xander



Pretty weird, but, very enjoyable.
Rough around the edges though, and, not a classic by any stretch of the imagination

It's a fart movie after all


6th place- Green Mile


A truly lovely movie that I've adored my whole life. I don't think it hits the heights of the rest of the top 5, which, are all elite movies, but, it's an excellently well made adaptation that has some top tier acting performances and hard hitting scenes

Last edited by Doctor Zeus; 02-12-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:11 AM
5th place- Donnie Darko- Rick



When I was 15 I'd imagine this would rank first place as it definitely has an element of edge-lord to it.

I think it's a great movie, with some really smart bits & funny moments. The Gylennhalls are great, and, there are numerous iconic moments that you can see referenced across other media.

Its the definition of a classic, and, I think it delivers it (sorry Pan's Labryinth)
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:14 AM
4th place - Spirited Away - Eyebooger



P.cool movie, and, choosing animation was imo an inspired choice as it was different enough to the others to make me extra motivated/focused (some bias in this obv.)


I hadn't actually seen it before, and, my wife didn't care for it (she doesn't care for any of these lol, but, this is the only one she watched with me). The music was banging, and, the sense of magic stayed throughout.

Love it. Highly recommended
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:17 AM
The next 3 I've seen a bunch, and, are all super top tier.

3rd place- Monty Python and the holy grail - Nich

I will only use meme's for my review:











lol.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:19 AM
2nd place- Return Of the king- Filthy Vermin

Sad for Filthy to chose the least excellent of the three unbelievable Lord of the rings movies.

This is potentially one of the greatest scenes in all movie:



I think I've watched it like 500 times. Super awesome.


The movie suffers from an extended ending, which does tug at the focus a bit.

It's still a 9/10 in total, and, I just love it. Fantastic choice
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:21 AM
1st place- the princess bride - Aaronk

a) WIFOM being a werewolf phrase that comes from this movie/book is hilarious
b) this movie just bangs.

I read the book first, then watched the movie expecting it to not live up to standards, but, they are equally good imo.
The castings on point, the chemistry is great, and, even for a movie of its time, you are sucked in to the reality of the moments which is key for fantasy and where some other movies suffered.

Banging choice.

Was very happy to rewatch
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:23 AM
Ah **** sorry I missed Green mile.

let me add it in to the post its meant to be in. knew there was something wrong
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zeus
There were nine submissions:

- Return Of The Kind, Filthy Vermin
- The princess bride, Aaron
- Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, Bolt
- Green mile, Zurvan
- Zardoz, French
- Pans Labyrinth- d1
- Monthy python and the holy grail- nich
- Spirited Away - eyebooger
- Donnie Darko - rick
- Swiss army man- Xander


Of this list...there were three I actively just don't like.

We'll start with them:

9th place: Zardoz- Ferencl
Maybe I'm just too wired up on modern movies and have had my focus destroyed by a combination of ADHD and TikTok, but jfc, I (a) had no idea what was going on in this movie, and, (b) no ability to pay attention
It's just so indulgent and clearly a passion project or a movie where the creators were given way too much freedom.

not for me

8th place- Panís Labyrinth - D1
I saw this in the cinema when it came out, and, I was a bit younger, so watched a recap instead of the full movie (sorry.)

But I didn't like it at the time, and, nothing in the recap made me change my mind.

I think I might be "empirically" wrong on this one based on the critics reviews, but, I just don't "get" it.

7th place- Harry Potter & the prisoner of Azkaban - bolt
Eh look, I think the Harry Potter movies are mostly trash.

The main three child actors are asked to do too much (including in this film) and they just aren't good enough at acting to keep me within the zone.

Also, it think the plots of Harry Potter have too many threads to easily transfer in to film- and- I don't think its successful here. Where Peter Jackson succeeds, in exchange for incredibly long movies, Cuaron just doesn't do it for me. Its too long winded, and, like Zardoz, I just found myself picking up my phone frequently through my rewatch
This is meant to be 10th, 9th and 8th. Sorry
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 07:17 PM
I certainly wasn't expecting to get 2nd last with Pan's Labyrinth wtf.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-12-2024 , 07:45 PM
I was following along as it was posted, and thought I finally did well in a category. I shoulda known
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-13-2024 , 05:58 PM
im in the middle of rewatching lord of the rings. im in the middle of two towers right now.

parts of this movie are more boring than i remember. now, i think lotr is arguably the greatest achievement in cinema... if it's not the greatest, it's one of the greatest.

i also think for purposes of drafts like this, it should be one movie. it was shot all at once. it's one story.

but anyway... the parts about the politics of rohan, and the romance triangle with aragorn and the two women are really boring. and longer than the extended endings of rotk


meanwhile the exciting parts of rotk are bonkers. i mean it's like 8 hours leading up to the pay off... sam takes the ring! frodo is captured by orcs! they trek through mordor and destroy the ring! and the insane battle at minas tirith, and the face off at the black gate... i mean just all objectively great stuff.

and sure the eagles at the end are a joke, and it kept ending over and over lol, but i didn't mind that personally. i can totally see how it's not for everyone though.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-13-2024 , 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyvermin
im in the middle of rewatching lord of the rings. im in the middle of two towers right now.

parts of this movie are more boring than i remember. now, i think lotr is arguably the greatest achievement in cinema... if it's not the greatest, it's one of the greatest.

i also think for purposes of drafts like this, it should be one movie. it was shot all at once. it's one story.

but anyway... the parts about the politics of rohan, and the romance triangle with aragorn and the two women are really boring. and longer than the extended endings of rotk


meanwhile the exciting parts of rotk are bonkers. i mean it's like 8 hours leading up to the pay off... sam takes the ring! frodo is captured by orcs! they trek through mordor and destroy the ring! and the insane battle at minas tirith, and the face off at the black gate... i mean just all objectively great stuff.

and sure the eagles at the end are a joke, and it kept ending over and over lol, but i didn't mind that personally. i can totally see how it's not for everyone though.
ROTK is still probably in my top 20 movies of all time....

It's a masterpiece but yh the ending just gets me. Its the only one of the movies I've stopped watching because the eye catching bits don't matter so much

But agreed about seeing them as a totality and the fact they are the greatest of all time
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-13-2024 , 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1iabol1cal
I certainly wasn't expecting to get 2nd last with Pan's Labyrinth wtf.
I legitmiately think it might be a blind spot with me because ive been chastised for this opinion before

I just dont get it
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-13-2024 , 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zeus
I legitmiately think it might be a blind spot with me because ive been chastised for this opinion before



I just dont get it
That's ok. There are plenty of movies I don't get that most people seem to love...like Star Wars.
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote
02-14-2024 , 10:58 PM
more on return of the king vs two towers:

i forgot they took out the best part of two towers book(the end, when they fight shelob), and put it in the return of the king movie lol
Grab Bag Draft Sign up/Interest Quote

      
m