Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Puzzles and Other Games Discussions about Puzzles and other non-gambling games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #201
Riki
adept
 
Riki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,123
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
1) Having read up on earlier games and using that exact information to call someone villagery. And someone who have actually been looked at with suspicion. It is just villagery.. Unless you ofc are both mafias (Slendy and you, I mean)
i'm pretty sure he's said that he read game 5 before this game started

is that the only reason you found the post villagery or was it the main reason
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #202
road
grinder
 
road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 529
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEspana View Post
Why would anyone claim wolf? Just as a sarcastic joke? In order for that to be a sarcastic joke that works you need to already have a community that accepts people openly saying "Yay I'm a villager" as their first post. My community doesn't have the time for that foolishness. Here is why.

Post 1: Yay I'm a villager
2: Yay I'm a vilager
3: woopie I'm a villager
4: I'm a villager too, what are the odds?
5: five villagers in a row here!
6: vullager, checking in
7: annoying.gif villagers like me are care free and post gigs
8: better break out a cop outfit, a tribal head dress and some leather chaps cause I'm part of the village people
9: sorry I'm late to the game, but I just read my villager PM
10: ¡soy un villagro!
11: know who is not a wolf? This villager
12: villager, checking in
13: wow. All 13 of us are villagers. Gonna be a simple game, huh.

Saying you're a villager is a pointless exercise in wasting everyone's time reading something completely devoid of strategic value. It simply increases your post count and tells nothing, not even personality. At least where I come from, where every one has realized that it equates to nothing but verbal fluff, we all agree it's pointless and don't do it. So it's turned the other way where I am and since no one does it, we can use anyone who does as an example of newbies over eager to sell villagerness.
In theory I agree. However I have played with ppl jokingly stating they are wolf, when they are wolf. could be too small a sample. However even though you thoughts are correct if everyone thinks the same, I just think it is wrong to apply them yo a game with so many unknown ppl.

Also you didnt answer my first question in regards to exactly when we can expect you to participate
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #203
fontisian
grinder
 
fontisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DarkLordPotter
Posts: 596
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendy View Post
fontisian -- upon reviewing your OP I realize I may have misinterpreted your question to Bomb. Did you mean it as an accusation, or as a question pertaining to Bomb's playstyle?

As for the answer to your "specifications", I found it odd you'd highlight Bomb's OP and my response to Bankertin out of all the posts -- in addition to 'mechanics-talk' with Ratchet.
The latter. I wanted to townread Bomb for his first post, but you should all be good enough to fake something like that, so I dug a bit further before moving in to defend him.

Hmm. I think I like the way you're willing to reassess your opinion on the first part enough to back off for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatic View Post
Says his community doesn't have time for foolishness, literally makes a fluff post that has no probative value in the pursuit of finding scum. I mean I don't mind fluffy posts, I make a lot of them personally because I am a bit of a silly duck, but being all like "blah blah pointless blah blah" and then making this post which doesn't really matter because the person he is talking to basically said it's null, and then this post also says it is null, so yeah. This is a waste of a post disguised as content time to vote this guy.

##vote: DocEspana
This.
DosEspana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEspana View Post
I rise to the occasion presented to me. Gotta adapt or die.

thebanker

I figure he was joking, and so I'm 80% sure I'll change my vote eventually. But the joke "I'm town" after my rant... tou gotta know that I'm gonna give it back to you witg a lynch vote.

Actually going to try to stop replying to things and actually face the day a bit now. Will read for actual content in a few.
Did you see Acromatic's accusation before posting this?
fontisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #204
Achromatic
journeyman
 
Achromatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 368
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
As Banks stated, I was asking him, as he talked about how he was more nervous in the game we played together (game 3). I was just trying to force some kind of interaction, not really knowing if the answer would be worth any value to me in reading banks, lol. Guess it can't be bad though
Forcing interaction is always an excellent reason to do anything, fair enough then.
Achromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #205
road
grinder
 
road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 529
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
i'm pretty sure he's said that he read game 5 before this game started

is that the only reason you found the post villagery or was it the main reason
I thought I had more reasons.. But this was actually the only reason (but I think it is major).

Dont you agree with me?

If I had spent effort in reading up a game on beforehand and taking some kind of (maybe mental) notes, and i turned scum, then I would not use my notes that early to try and villaread one of the guys, that at least some people expect to be one of the best, when he was already under suspicion.

I dont know if im elaborating my thoughts correctly I just found that very villagery..
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #206
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
In theory I agree. However I have played with ppl jokingly stating they are wolf, when they are wolf. could be too small a sample. However even though you thoughts are correct if everyone thinks the same, I just think it is wrong to apply them yo a game with so many unknown ppl.

Also you didnt answer my first question in regards to exactly when we can expect you to participate
I disagree in theory. I think that you can sometimes read people you know by how they claim villager and the strength and conviction they say it. Like if a bunch of people claim it then someone already posting comes in and claims it to be cool that dude is a wolf 8 out of 10 times imo.

I like you want follow up gonna be excited if we're both town this game.
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #207
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontisian View Post
The latter. I wanted to townread Bomb for his first post, but you should all be good enough to fake something like that, so I dug a bit further before moving in to defend him.

Hmm. I think I like the way you're willing to reassess your opinion on the first part enough to back off for now.


This.
DosEspana


Did you see Acromatic's accusation before posting this?
Is every post of yours going to be a multi quote this game?
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #208
fontisian
grinder
 
fontisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DarkLordPotter
Posts: 596
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Yes.
fontisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #209
Riki
adept
 
Riki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,123
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatchetOPB View Post
I think you're being needlessly pedantic here. They are the same thing in this context - he would be happy to roll town because it would mean that he did not role scum.
i don't think they're the same thing

banks was specifically looking for "happiness" in smartbomb's posts, which would probably be there if he said he was happy for rolling town

otoh, if he was only relieved to not roll scum, i don't think it necessarily make his posts "happier"
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #210
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontisian View Post
Yes.
noted that you're different.
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #211
road
grinder
 
road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 529
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBankertin View Post
I disagree in theory. I think that you can sometimes read people you know by how they claim villager and the strength and conviction they say it. Like if a bunch of people claim it then someone already posting comes in and claims it to be cool that dude is a wolf 8 out of 10 times imo.

I like you want follow up gonna be excited if we're both town this game.
Well yes, but that only works in so far you know they are not balanced in their openings (as if they are not claiming villager the same way in both roles).

I think we are, Banks. And more importantly, I hope we are.
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #212
DocEspana
enthusiast
 
DocEspana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 78
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatic View Post
Says his community doesn't have time for foolishness, literally makes a fluff post that has no probative value in the pursuit of finding scum. I mean I don't mind fluffy posts, I make a lot of them personally because I am a bit of a silly duck, but being all like "blah blah pointless blah blah" and then making this post which doesn't really matter because the person he is talking to basically said it's null, and then this post also says it is null, so yeah. This is a waste of a post disguised as content time to vote this guy.

##vote: DocEspana
I think we strongly disagree on what constitutes fluff. This is chock full of specifics on how I view things, my personality, and why I will (probably repeatedly) yell at people for doing things with no strategic value.

I'll post some gifs eventually. I'll laugh at some of you unrelated to the game mechanics. But those are 1) necessarily outlets and 2) telling more of a person's personality to see them relax a bit when its tense, or if they never take their eye off the prize. It's fluff disguised as fluff that I don't like. And I posted this all so early because you all need to know who I am since I'm one of the new outsiders. That much personality freely volunteered? Not fluff. But vote as you wish, it's the nature of the game to jump on feels.
DocEspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #213
road
grinder
 
road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 529
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Banks > Is it true you played a mish mash here on 2+2 as scum? (think i've read it in spec chat) If that is the case, would you like to link to it. As I only have seen one villagergame of you, I dont want to risk making a wrong tell on you, if you could do the same things as scum.
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #214
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
Well yes, but that only works in so far you know they are not balanced in their openings (as if they are not claiming villager the same way in both roles).

I think we are, Banks. And more importantly, I hope we are.
We will see.

I was hoping to roll town with 5 different people. So far I have town reads on 2 of them so this is good.
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #215
dorian78
centurion
 
dorian78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 137
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
also, what makes you think he wouldn't also do it as mafia?
I don't necessarily think Slendy wouldn't do it as mafia. We're all good players, I'm sure he's capable of it. But we have to start somewhere, and I like to start with the simpler answer, which is that same play is more likely to indicate same affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
i'm pretty sure he's said that he read game 5 before this game started
I did read games 4 and 5 before we started so I'd have some idea of what I was getting myself into.
dorian78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #216
Riki
adept
 
Riki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,123
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBankertin View Post
I don't. I think that he was wanting to pass of his post as null. At first I thought that meant he was more likely scum trying to downplay something he thought was scummy but he might actually just be a townie who is more likely to not care what his post looks like to others and wants to move on. Thats where I'm at with bomb atm based upon that progression and his responses to things.
yeah that's what i meant

your first thought would be weird because if he thought it was scummy he likely wouldn't have said it in the first place

i just interpreted it as him saying what he said was null (and i think that would've been the simpler interpretation) in response to people saying it could be a scum tell
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #217
DocEspana
enthusiast
 
DocEspana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 78
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
In theory I agree. However I have played with ppl jokingly stating they are wolf, when they are wolf. could be too small a sample. However even though you thoughts are correct if everyone thinks the same, I just think it is wrong to apply them yo a game with so many unknown ppl.

Also you didnt answer my first question in regards to exactly when we can expect you to participate

Eastern standard time when I'm awake. Which will be mostly 5pm to 10am. Obviously varying based on day somewhat.I work mostly nights but do have a day shift or two. And yes that means the doctor plays during work haha.

And if you all notice, I didn't actually vote for that person for doing that (though I did grumpy-vote someone else, but that probably won't stay there). I was just pointing out that posts like that rub me the wrong way. But you don't lynch based on that. You just get a feel for who you're not comfortable with from that. Said a few times thay I realize this is a different culture and I have to adapt. But the post is full of good characterizations of how I think. So I object to it being called fluff.
DocEspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #218
Riki
adept
 
Riki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,123
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
I thought I had more reasons.. But this was actually the only reason (but I think it is major).

Dont you agree with me?

If I had spent effort in reading up a game on beforehand and taking some kind of (maybe mental) notes, and i turned scum, then I would not use my notes that early to try and villaread one of the guys, that at least some people expect to be one of the best, when he was already under suspicion.

I dont know if im elaborating my thoughts correctly I just found that very villagery..
well i agree that in theory it's a -ev thing to say as a wolf

but i don't think it makes it that villagery, especially if he's a person who isn't very used to giving many reads early in the game.

and like i said earlier, i didn't actually agree with the observation he made or why his observation even makes slendy a villager
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #219
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by road View Post
Banks > Is it true you played a mish mash here on 2+2 as scum? (think i've read it in spec chat) If that is the case, would you like to link to it. As I only have seen one villagergame of you, I dont want to risk making a wrong tell on you, if you could do the same things as scum.
I've played 2 scum mishmashes here and 3 town ones maybe 4 math is hard. Baldur's Gate (Can't find it looking back and spent too long searching) and Futurama I was scum in both games.
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #220
Achromatic
journeyman
 
Achromatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 368
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEspana View Post
I think we strongly disagree on what constitutes fluff. This is chock full of specifics on how I view things, my personality, and why I will (probably repeatedly) yell at people for doing things with no strategic value.

I'll post some gifs eventually. I'll laugh at some of you unrelated to the game mechanics. But those are 1) necessarily outlets and 2) telling more of a person's personality to see them relax a bit when its tense, or if they never take their eye off the prize. It's fluff disguised as fluff that I don't like. And I posted this all so early because you all need to know who I am since I'm one of the new outsiders. That much personality freely volunteered? Not fluff. But vote as you wish, it's the nature of the game to jump on feels.
Personality does nothing though. It's just there. Usually one can relate their personality as the game goes on through actual, productive posts. Also yelling at people is just not going to cut it here. Like, if you want to get in a yelling match I will make it my personal mission to destroy your will to play the game. But let's be pleasant, not mean. It's much harder to play this game while being pleasant, but I find very rewarding. I can already sense you have a bit of an attitude so let's cut the crap and just play mafia by trying to find scum.

Vote stays though, mostly because it feels as if you are twisting in the wind a bit to try to explain how your posts haven't been fluffy so far.
Achromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #221
Riki
adept
 
Riki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,123
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian78 View Post
I don't necessarily think Slendy wouldn't do it as mafia. We're all good players, I'm sure he's capable of it. But we have to start somewhere, and I like to start with the simpler answer, which is that same play is more likely to indicate same affiliation.
wait, we're talking about pushing easy wagons as mafia right

why would anyone have to be a "good player" to be capable of that

didn't you say yourself that you thought that type of play was more likely to come from mafia

also, y u ignore the part of my post where i like, disagreed with you and stuff
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #222
DocEspana
enthusiast
 
DocEspana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 78
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBankertin View Post
I disagree in theory. I think that you can sometimes read people you know by how they claim villager and the strength and conviction they say it. Like if a bunch of people claim it then someone already posting comes in and claims it to be cool that dude is a wolf 8 out of 10 times imo.

I like you want follow up gonna be excited if we're both town this game.
But how many of these people do you really know? Also why woudon't all 13 people just make their first post be 'I'm a villager'. In this game set up with only cop villager and wolf the highest yield move is to have everyone claim villager. It's also completely useless strategically if everyone does it unless you know some of thsee people well (I know none of you).

I guess really tgis whole thing is sort of neither here not there. It's clear you guys do this stuff that baffles me as to why you would even bother, but it's just culture shock. I can't rightfully make much of it if everyone else thinks this is okay. Onto whatever my next point will be.

And to whomever asked if I saw my accusation before I posted? No. I'm posting at subway stops on.my way back to.my apartment. So I have service every few minutes and respond to whatever I was typing up when I last had service
DocEspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #223
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

I found it. Baldur's Gate
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #224
DocEspana
enthusiast
 
DocEspana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 78
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatic View Post
Personality does nothing though. It's just there. Usually one can relate their personality as the game goes on through actual, productive posts. Also yelling at people is just not going to cut it here. Like, if you want to get in a yelling match I will make it my personal mission to destroy your will to play the game. But let's be pleasant, not mean. It's much harder to play this game while being pleasant, but I find very rewarding. I can already sense you have a bit of an attitude so let's cut the crap and just play mafia by trying to find scum.

Vote stays though, mostly because it feels as if you are twisting in the wind a bit to try to explain how your posts haven't been fluffy so far.
There is no yelling. Thats a calm and polite response (both objectively and for me). I call people out for bad strategic moves by calling them morons. None of that here yet.

And personality matters a ton. It's how I build.my entire game. The way you interact is everything. We will see if it's useful here, but I strongly suspect so.
DocEspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #225
TehBankertin
[blod]
 
TehBankertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wolf Chat
Posts: 16,773
Re: The 2015 Mafia Championship: Game 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEspana View Post
But how many of these people do you really know? Also why woudon't all 13 people just make their first post be 'I'm a villager'. In this game set up with only cop villager and wolf the highest yield move is to have everyone claim villager. It's also completely useless strategically if everyone does it unless you know some of thsee people well (I know none of you).

I guess really tgis whole thing is sort of neither here not there. It's clear you guys do this stuff that baffles me as to why you would even bother, but it's just culture shock. I can't rightfully make much of it if everyone else thinks this is okay. Onto whatever my next point will be.

And to whomever asked if I saw my accusation before I posted? No. I'm posting at subway stops on.my way back to.my apartment. So I have service every few minutes and respond to whatever I was typing up when I last had service
I've played with road but not with the others on forums. I would care more about your reads on people in the game than your theory on the evolution on people saying the words "I'm villager" and the correlation that has on their alignment.
TehBankertin is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive