Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Heads Up NL Discussion of heads up NL Texas Hold'em cash games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Notthistimebuddy
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 71
5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

5-10nl blinds heads up home game. Villian is Grimstarr, online player from long time ago and he is very tight heads up in my opinion, doesn't get out of line often at all. I am an action player and I'm drinking beers. I've made a few overbets on rivers versus him and the times he's looked me up I've had the goods except once a few weeks ago I overbet bluffed with K high after I raised a flop. I straddle every hand, he folds over 50% of his hands preflop. Onto the hand.

He raises to 20 from button, I defend BB with 34o. I have about 2600 to start hand and he covers.

Flop is 567r. I lead 20, he calls.
Turn 9 (I think completing rainbow, maybe it brought BDFD, I don't remember, I'm drinking.)

I check, he bets 50, I raise to 160. He calls

River is an offsuit 2 no flush available.

I check and take a huge gulp of my beer, he bets 70. I instantly go all in.

He starts tanking. I call the clock.

He asks if I will show my hand if he folds. He looks very upset. I tell him yes I will show.

How did I play this hand?
Notthistimebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Tutejszy
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,756
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

I'm pretty sure every single hand worse than yours is folding and every single hand better than yours is calling. If that was your intention then well played.
Tutejszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Notthistimebuddy
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 71
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

here is what I thought:

He can't have a better straight. Best he can have is a set. All in.
Notthistimebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Notthistimebuddy
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 71
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

OK, sorry lol. This hand was posted in reverse order. I asked him after the hand if he wanted a call and he said yes and gave the reasoning that I stated above. Now clearly he has an extra chromosome but that's not that I'm trying to focus on here.

Now let's reverse the hand around. If you have just a bare 8 in the other person's shoes and get shoved on for over 8x pot here as a check raise, do you call it off? Does it make a difference that this is 5-10NL for >$2,000 or would the play be the same at .25/.50 for $100? Is this a "good" bluff to make someone fold a bare 8 since it's unlikely they have 8T as they would have reraised back on the turn?

After a little discussion I'll post results if interested.
Notthistimebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Tutejszy
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,756
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

edit: ok, I get it, you're just posting here to make some guy look like an idiot. If I have 8x there, I'm never folding vs obvious spazzer
Tutejszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Notthistimebuddy
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 71
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

anyone interested in running numbers on this type of scenario?
obviously before he showed down 34o I was under a different impression of ranges for what he could have in this spot. I honestly thought it was something like 30-35% chance he has 8T for the ten high nut straight and then about 65-70% chance he has just a dry 8 with a zero percent chance of bluff or "value own" situation where he's trying to bet a worse hand for value. Now after the fact obviously my numbers are wayyyy off. Also now that I think about turn action, it may have been like he led for another 20 and I raised to 90. Either way there was somewhere around $100 of action per player on turn. I guess a double checkraise is a bit stronger than if he leads, calls a raise then cr all in on river, but either way the huge overbet on river is completely weird as hell regardless of his hand.

I'll give one last example of a huge overbet I've seen this guy do, which in retrospect actually somewhat reminds me of this hand and could have and probably should have talked me into a call but at the end of the day my odds on calling off another ~2500 into a barely 300 dollar pot are very very bad so I need to be extremely confident that villian doesn't have 8T here and has a high bluff % because even if its something like 20% chance nuts and 80% just an 8 then I think it becomes a fold because pot odds are so freakin bad here. Now onto the other weird hand we played a few weeks ago:

we're playing Big O 6 plus. All cards 2,3,4, and 5 are removed from deck. I have JJx97 and I raise preflop to 20 or 30 in a 5/10 game and he defends big blind. Flop is A69
We checked the flop
Turn 8 and there may have been a small bet on the turn (or maybe flop, but definitely not both streets) and I call and we see river
8
He instantly goes all in for like 800 dollars into what is a pot of under 100 I think.

I tank, look at my hand, look at board, then eventually snapcall because I have straight flush lol. In 6 plus Ace is counted as low for straight and is the same as a 5 so I have a "steel wheel" aka 56789

He shows KTxxx and I win the pot. He was under the impression he had the nuts (but board paired means that quads still beats him lol) In this game, flush beats full house by the way.

So based on that last hand, he showed that he is capable of misunderstanding a hand and overplaying it with a huge overbet.

Still, at the time, it seemed like a weird and tough spot to call off a huge overbet with just bare 8.
Notthistimebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
adam levine
adept
 
adam levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WE all float down here (the micros)
Posts: 1,052
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

Is this really vs Grimm or am I being trolled?
adam levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
Notthistimebuddy
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 71
Re: 5-10nl I flop a straight...line check?

OP is AQ but I posted OP as a reverse hand from villain perspective to see if people would be like "oh that's a good spot to bluff" or "wtf are you a mongoloid? how can you turn the best bluff catcher into a bluff?!"

I haven't gotten many responses yet.
Notthistimebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online