Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Best country to move abroad in order to play poker

06-26-2022 , 12:38 PM
Hi! Im a Swedish player who due to the disappointing Swedish gambling laws are looking for a new home.

Im looking to be eligible for rakeback / cashback and have access to nearly all poker sites. My understanding is that Europe is a no go, however Ive been having a hard time determining which countries would be decent options.

Is there anyone with similar problems who can shed some light on some options, primarily in form of reasonable poker laws and accessibility to sites and rakeback. I cant seem to find any clear information country by country.

Responders much appreciated and gl at the tables.
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-26-2022 , 02:14 PM
I'm Brazilian and I live in England. Here in the UK poker players don't pay tax, however we don't have access to the Bodog website, which is one of the quietest site these days. In Brazil we have access to all the sites that exist because there is still no law regulating online gambling. In Brazil it is good for poker players because the dollar is worth 6 times more than the Real (Brasilian currency) and there is also the BSOP (Brasilian series of Poker), the second largest poker series in the world, second only to the WSOP
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-27-2022 , 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antherton
Im looking to be eligible for rakeback / cashback and have access to nearly all poker sites
It is incredibly weird that you word things like this first - rakeback is irrelevant without factoring in actual amounts of rake, and should only be a minor factor compared to quality/choice of games and integrity/security of the site. Getting 30% compared to my 0% is pointless if:

a) you are paying 5% rake and I am paying 3%
b) you are playing in games where you need your rakeback to break even and I am playing in games where I am making a profit
c) I know my money is secure but you're playing on questionable sites where the site, or an agent, has a chance of scamming you
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-27-2022 , 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Augusto
I'm Brazilian and I live in England. Here in the UK poker players don't pay tax, however we don't have access to the Bodog website, which is one of the quietest site these days. In Brazil we have access to all the sites that exist because there is still no law regulating online gambling. In Brazil it is good for poker players because the dollar is worth 6 times more than the Real (Brasilian currency) and there is also the BSOP (Brasilian series of Poker), the second largest poker series in the world, second only to the WSOP
Thank you for reply and the tip! Care to share some quiet, secure, nice places with good internet in Brazil?
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-27-2022 , 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour
It is incredibly weird that you word things like this first - rakeback is irrelevant without factoring in actual amounts of rake, and should only be a minor factor compared to quality/choice of games and integrity/security of the site. Getting 30% compared to my 0% is pointless if:

a) you are paying 5% rake and I am paying 3%
b) you are playing in games where you need your rakeback to break even and I am playing in games where I am making a profit
c) I know my money is secure but you're playing on questionable sites where the site, or an agent, has a chance of scamming you
Maybe my wording was a bit unclear but Iīm basically looking for countries where poker is not restricted. Meaning I would have access to all or most sites, and I would be eligible for rakeback on the sites that do offer it. And from there be able to pick and choose what sites works for me, rakeback or no.

If you donīt know, swedes are restricted, both in terms of sites iīm eligible to play at. For example i canīt play on ggpoker at all. And also in terms of being eligible for rakeback / cashback on sites that I do have access to. Like partypoker for example, where I can play but not have access to rakeback. Meaning my opponents receive rakeback while I donīt in the same exact environment, that is definately not irrelevant.

I realize sites have different rakestructures, security and game softness, which is why I want to have access to all or most sites.
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-27-2022 , 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Augusto
I'm Brazilian and I live in England. Here in the UK poker players don't pay tax, however we don't have access to the Bodog website, which is one of the quietest site these days. In Brazil we have access to all the sites that exist because there is still no law regulating online gambling. In Brazil it is good for poker players because the dollar is worth 6 times more than the Real (Brasilian currency) and there is also the BSOP (Brasilian series of Poker), the second largest poker series in the world, second only to the WSOP
How good is the series?
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-27-2022 , 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour
It is incredibly weird that you word things like this first - rakeback is irrelevant without factoring in actual amounts of rake, and should only be a minor factor compared to quality/choice of games and integrity/security of the site. Getting 30% compared to my 0% is pointless if:

a) you are paying 5% rake and I am paying 3%
b) you are playing in games where you need your rakeback to break even and I am playing in games where I am making a profit
c) I know my money is secure but you're playing on questionable sites where the site, or an agent, has a chance of scamming you
In fact pro online players will tell you the main source of income are cashback/ rakeback, etc.
I was playing poker for a living 10 years ago (80% poker - 20% job irl) and I can tell you rakeback is important for pro poker player because, you can have a breakeven month but you still have to pay the bill.
I remember one of the poker coach making million per year on stoxpoker telling his student. You are making too much BB/100hands, you are NOT PLAYING ENOUGHT TABLE !
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-28-2022 , 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnakk2424
You are making too much BB/100hands, you are NOT PLAYING ENOUGHT TABLE !
2010 called, it wants its style of play back
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-28-2022 , 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnakk2424
In fact pro online players will tell you the main source of income are cashback/ rakeback, etc.
I was playing poker for a living 10 years ago (80% poker - 20% job irl) and I can tell you rakeback is important for pro poker player because, you can have a breakeven month but you still have to pay the bill.
I remember one of the poker coach making million per year on stoxpoker telling his student. You are making too much BB/100hands, you are NOT PLAYING ENOUGHT TABLE !
Yes, ten years ago. That changed a very long time ago.

Rakeback is still pretty important but the business model of being a SNE RB grinder died when Stars shut down the program.
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-29-2022 , 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Augusto
I'm Brazilian and I live in England. Here in the UK poker players don't pay tax, however we don't have access to the Bodog website, which is one of the quietest site these days. In Brazil we have access to all the sites that exist because there is still no law regulating online gambling. In Brazil it is good for poker players because the dollar is worth 6 times more than the Real (Brasilian currency) and there is also the BSOP (Brasilian series of Poker), the second largest poker series in the world, second only to the WSOP
How do you live in the UK after brexit?

Since you 're Brazilian, how did you live in the UK before brexit? Can you rent a flat and move in and out of the country every few months?
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
06-29-2022 , 03:47 PM
In general, I think than outside cost of living and the weather, the UK is one of the best options in Europe... well at least until Brexit happened. I don't know now how you are supposed to move there even if you are a EU citizen.

I notice that a lot of Germans pros have moved to Austria so that's a tell.

Malta has always been a popular option as it seems to be ticking most of the boxes.

A big factor for me would be a country that also allows you to play on PS.fr and thus PS.es and PS.pt.

Since most Western European countries are regulated in one way or another, what remains are Eastern European countries, though I suspect that language would be a more significant barrier than western europe. I remember traveling to Poland many years ago and barely anyone could talk English -though you probably could get by if you spoke German.

Hungary used to be popular at some point. Countries like Czech Republic, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Romania might be worth exploring as options.

I would love to hear what people from various european countries discussing what sites are available and what's the deal with taxes.
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote
07-12-2022 , 11:21 AM
They work on a new law in Romania. They want to take a higher tax. In the next month we will know more about it.
Best country to move abroad in order to play poker Quote

      
m