Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

About the Forums Here's where you post suggestions about the forums and the software that implements them.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,269
Finding out why posters have been Banned?

I suggest that you should be able to click on the banned tag and find out what that poster got banned for.

It would serve two purposes 1. entertainment 2. If people knew what is a bannable offense they might avoid a ban themselves.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,597
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

You can always ask here if you want to know, any mod can look up the reason. Regarding #2, it's as simple as not breaking the rules.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,269
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

You dont see any benefit in what I am suggesting? I also think it would make the mods more even handed if they have to write why they chose to ban a poster for everyone to see.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Shoe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brewers Magic Number: 15
Posts: 11,225
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
You can always ask here if you want to know, any mod can look up the reason. Regarding #2, it's as simple as not breaking the rules.
I think it would be helpful, especially since different forums have different rules and unless you read the FAQ every time sometimes they can be hard to keep straight. For example, in SE saying "ban" as a joke gets you banned, saying "ban" in another forum is allowed as a joke (although not really funny anymore). The rules are not consistent across the entire site.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,597
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Correct, and that's a good thing that different forums have different rules. Just pay attention to which forum you're in.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 27,313
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Forum rules are like EULAs. Nobody reads them until it's too late.
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 45,065
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
I suggest that you should be able to click on the banned tag and find out what that poster got banned for.
Besides the fact that it's not just a matter of pushing a button and making the stock forum software do whatever you can think of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
It would serve two purposes 1. entertainment
We don't ban people for your entertainment, sorry. At least not most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
2. If people knew what is a bannable offense they might avoid a ban themselves.
Highly, highly unlikely IMO. TBH, that just sounds like justification for the real reason, which you already gave.

While ban reasons aren't top secret, I also don't think it's always appropriate to make them public. There are forums that make every ban public, which everyone knows (or could find out if they cared), and I think that's great. But if I give someone a ban for a day or two to cool off, how is making that public going to help the situation?

If people ask, some bans I will tell others the reason for, and some I won't - it's situation-dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
I think it would be helpful, especially since different forums have different rules and unless you read the FAQ every time sometimes they can be hard to keep straight. For example, in SE saying "ban" as a joke gets you banned, saying "ban" in another forum is allowed as a joke (although not really funny anymore). The rules are not consistent across the entire site.
Actually, that's the very reason it wouldn't be helpful, as you wouldn't know where they had been banned. And even if you did, how would it help you track what was allowed in what forum? It seems like the forum rules would be a much more accurate and easy way to find out.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Shoe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brewers Magic Number: 15
Posts: 11,225
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Yeah the more I think about the less sense it makes, especially since it isn't an option that can be turned on in the software. I probably wouldn't even come across posts like that often anyways, unless I knew a poster got banned and I went back to look for the reason. If a ban happens in a thread I am following the reason will normally be pretty obvious.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #9
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,743
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

big surprise the mods come out to make sure their privileges remain extra exclusive. so ****ing typical
ScreaminAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 45,065
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaminAsian View Post
big surprise the mods come out to make sure their privileges remain extra exclusive. so ****ing typical
Thin blue line FTW!
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #11
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,269
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Bobo I gave two reasons and meant them both. Forums need active posters and this site Bans a lot posters. Some of the best posters got themselves banned over the years and many times we users cannot find out why. I should have mentioned that I meant only permas and not temp bans.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 45,065
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Entertainment was a good reason?

I also explained why I disagree with your second reason. I don't think it would serve the purpose you think it will.

As for this forum banning a lot of posters, you're not the first person to suggest that, but I think there's a pretty wide gap between perception and reality there.

We have somewhere around 423,000 members. ~48,500 are banned, and the vast majority of those are spammers, scammers, or trolls with multiple accounts.

Usually when posters are high profile enough to be considered "some of the best posters", it's no secret why they were banned.

All that said, what changes would you suggest? I highly doubt there's any simple way to make it so that you could check why any given poster is banned.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #13
Anais
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,666
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Usually when posters are high profile enough to be considered "some of the best posters", it's no secret why they were banned.
And it's not like the stated reason is always a perfect description of why someone was banned. For that, you'd need to give everyone access to view notes left by mods, as well as the ability to read the minds of all the mods.

Which is just a little impractical.
Anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #14
Morphismus
Gimperator
 
Morphismus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in you heads
Posts: 13,911
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Morphismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 45,065
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais View Post
And it's not like the stated reason is always a perfect description of why someone was banned. For that, you'd need to give everyone access to view notes left by mods, as well as the ability to read the minds of all the mods.

Which is just a little impractical.
Very true - the most controversial bans really require a more in-depth discussion if people want to understand what happened, and those often take place in this forum.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
Crockett616
Snoopy of MTTs
 
Crockett616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 731
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

I have spent so much time going trough banned users' posts to find a clue as to why they were banned, knowing full well that the posts may have been deleted....
Crockett616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,743
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

ya regular users should be able to click to view deleted posts too. ESPECIALLY the obscene ones.
ScreaminAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #18
lonely_but_rich
ɔarpal \ʇunnel
 
lonely_but_rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wearing a suit
Posts: 20,129
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Free Ed Furlong
lonely_but_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Tuma
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,721
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
You can always ask here if you want to know, any mod can look up the reason. Regarding #2, it's as simple as not breaking the rules.
why was furlong banned?
Tuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Wiki
Pooh-Bah
 
Wiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: [2,5]
Posts: 5,812
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

It would be quite interesting - also to know when they were banned.

It's sometimes rather sad, when looking at a historic thread (or way back in a long running thread [NOT, the 'rigged' thread, you'd expect it there]), to see just how many of the posters have been banned. They often seem perfectly normal people, making a sensible contribution to the site.

(This does not specifically apply to 2+2; It's something you see at a lot of sites.)


All in all, though, probably too much effort, for very little meaningful return.
Wiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
VP$IP
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
VP$IP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zero Millions
Posts: 6,841
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki View Post
It's sometimes rather sad, when looking at a historic thread (or way back in a long running thread [NOT, the 'rigged' thread, you'd expect it there]), to see just how many of the posters have been banned. They often seem perfectly normal people, making a sensible contribution to the site.
Yes. I noticed that too. Do that many good posters eventually go bad? Are they still bad?

It is known as Eating Our Young, Killing Our Old

The low-tech solution would just be a locked thread in ATF where mods make a brief entry of name, date, sub-forum, reason for perma-ban.

Probably not worth the effort for temp bans.
VP$IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,799
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

I would like to know why some posters haven't been banned. Can we have this feature?
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
Morphismus
Gimperator
 
Morphismus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in you heads
Posts: 13,911
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

I remember when I first saw posts by █████ I was thinking "Wow what did this guy do getting Orwelled?"
Morphismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 27,313
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
I would like to know why some posters haven't been banned. Can we have this feature?
YES!
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #25
Shoe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brewers Magic Number: 15
Posts: 11,225
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
I would like to know why some posters haven't been banned. Can we have this feature?
I'm still here because I make the rest of you look better.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online