Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Why I don't tell people I play poker.

02-14-2010 , 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prfsr_cain
eating a cake they won in a church raffle.
But how much did they lose?
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 03:49 PM
Jesus is a socialist and gives it all back obv.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prfsr_cain
I live in the bible belt. They sit there and say "gambling is wrong. It's in the bible." etc while scratching a lotto ticket and eating a cake they won in a church raffle.
Hypocrites ftmfw!!

+1
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 05:47 PM
"No, Dad, I don't have a gambling addiction."

"But, that's what you'd say if you did. You're in denial!"

*sigh*
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 06:10 PM
"Yeah mom, I had a bad session, I lost a huge pot where I was an 80% favorite to win"



"Well if you can't even win when you're an 80% favorite what good are ya?"


FU!
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 06:43 PM
Girl: So where do you work?

Me: I play poker

Girl: What a loser
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpLive
Girl: So where do you work?

Me: I play poker

Girl: What a loser
The fact you think this was post-worthy means she's probably right
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpLive
Girl: So where do you work?

Me: I play poker

Girl: Lol Donkamentz

FYP
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 10:50 PM
i am a mtt player and usually play 4x a week usually for 10-13 hr sessions. everyone around here knows i play poker so they always come up to me asking how to deposit money. i usually take theyre money and send it to them. sometimes i will watch them play, and one constant i always see is calling raises with weak hands. and when i say something like "hey u should just lay that down, ur in bad position, and thats the first time that guy raised in a hr." they usually respond with something like "well u never kno what the flop will bring" sure enough they flop bottom pair with theyre j5 and proceed to call any bet. when they lose, its either "**** man that was bull**** i cant beleive that crap!" lol or "can u send me another 5?" im just like sigh
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzks
"Yeah mom, I had a bad session, I lost a huge pot where I was an 80% favorite to win"



"Well if you can't even win when you're an 80% favorite what good are ya?"


FU!

well?
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-14-2010 , 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macthemost
well?
all in preflop, douche.....::sigh::
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-15-2010 , 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbinson
I think the main thing that people don't grasp is that you can win in the long run, even though you may have (lots of) losing sessions. This point seems intuitive and obvious to us, but to non-poker players seems counter-intuitive.

Another thing you must make clear to them (so that they don't think you're a degen) is that you are well aware that you do have losing sessions, but more importantly, you know very well that although you may be favourite to win a hand, you will not always win it (unless villain is drawing dead).
What I usually tell people is that days or weeks don't matter to me. I just take a long-term view, and I'm happy when I'm up at the end of the month.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-15-2010 , 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macthemost
i am a mtt player and usually play 4x a week usually for 10-13 hr sessions. everyone around here knows i play poker so they always come up to me asking how to deposit money. i usually take theyre money and send it to them. sometimes i will watch them play, and one constant i always see is calling raises with weak hands. and when i say something like "hey u should just lay that down, ur in bad position, and thats the first time that guy raised in a hr." they usually respond with something like "well u never kno what the flop will bring" sure enough they flop bottom pair with theyre j5 and proceed to call any bet. when they lose, its either "**** man that was bull**** i cant beleive that crap!" lol or "can u send me another 5?" im just like sigh
lol this, or when they keep minbetting and lose to a rivered flush they say like **** i have always bad luck. and when you tell them about bet sizing they don't listen
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-15-2010 , 10:37 AM
I have a picture of me playing poker at Commerce on my departmental website.

pro: my students in my TA discussions want to talk about poker.

con: department chair calls you in to ask if you have gambling problems. i thoroughly explained about the variance and EV. i'm in the math department, ftw.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-18-2010 , 11:52 AM
My friend just told me he was going to earn 50 / week giving tennis lessons, and he's so excited about it like it's huge money. So I proceed to tell him that I make much more than that playing poker weekly, and here's what he answers :

"Yeah but yours are fake, the money I make is real".

Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-18-2010 , 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkarioun
My friend just told me he was going to earn 50 / week giving tennis lessons, and he's so excited about it like it's huge money. So I proceed to tell him that I make much more than that playing poker weekly, and here's what he answers :

"Yeah but yours are fake, the money I make is real".

So he's making like $68 a week? Holy ****, I could find more on the sidewalk if I put a weeks worth of time into it. Lol.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-18-2010 , 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genekim
I have a picture of me playing poker at Commerce on my departmental website.

pro: my students in my TA discussions want to talk about poker.

con: department chair calls you in to ask if you have gambling problems. i thoroughly explained about the variance and EV. i'm in the math department, ftw.
lol, A+ i would love to have a degen professor that i can spot playing cards with and lending him money for an easy grade
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-18-2010 , 10:25 PM
ignorance= more moneyz for hero

The moneyz come from people who dont understand pkr!
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-18-2010 , 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwerty12
lol...this reminds me of me.

I've played probably 7 or 8 cash games with my best mates from school. We play once every few months. This is the only poker they've ever played in their lives. Every time we have a game I have to explain the rules again because they don't remember them. With drinking and chatting we probably get in 10 hands an hour over 3 or 4 hours.

Every pot is limped by every player and I always feel guilty about taking their money so i generally just make sure i break even or win a little on the night.

The other day I told them I'm playing the WSOPME this year. They pissed themselves laughing saying "you're joking !....you can't even beat us !!"
Cool story bro
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-19-2010 , 12:02 AM
In line for the flight to vegas and in front of me were these two 'big baller' types claiming to be big time players discussing craps saying how it was the best way to make money. Someone else brought up poker and they laughed and mocked that 'that game is stupid for idiots' all everyone does and fold and you can only win by getting super lucky...i had to quietly laugh to myself and wonder how much they were probably going to drop on their trip.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-19-2010 , 05:51 AM
I tell many people I play poker (not for a living though like lot of the guys posting ITT). They usually accept it quite well once I go through the bankroll management story.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-19-2010 , 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcash
People always want to learn how to do it too or the cliche... "Hey man, what if I give you $300 of my money for you to double it, can you do that?"
haha I get that a lot, too - annoying, but you don't want to be rude. "Mr. Warren Buffet, I have $100 to invest, what could you do with that for me?"

No, I'm not comparing my poker skills to Warren Buffett's investment skills, but you get the analogy.
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-19-2010 , 04:53 PM
At a live game:

Guy A: I play mostly online
Guys B, C & D: I don't get it- that's not real poker. I have to be able to see the other players so I can get their tells. Playing online is like a video game.
Guy A: There's pretty good money playing online.
Guys B, C & D: I HIGHLY doubt that, nobody wins in the long run.

Me: Note to self- play lots of pots with guys B, C & D
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-19-2010 , 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopsychoV
I tell many people I play poker (not for a living though like lot of the guys posting ITT). They usually accept it quite well once I go through the bankroll management story.
Isn't it annoying having to tell the same story every time?
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote
02-20-2010 , 12:50 AM
drafted this a few times and came up with...... fu** em!
Why I don't tell people I play poker. Quote

      
m