Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #2076
Pondus
journeyman
 
Pondus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 283
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BaseTom View Post
Out at the bar a few nights ago...


My friend: "Oh yeah, Tom plays poker all the time!"

Her guy friend: "Oh yeah?"

Me: "I play a little" please end conversation right here

Guy: "Yeah, I've played before, but I always get beat by that last card"

Me: "Yeah, that can happen. I wouldn't play anymore, it's not that good of an idea" please /conversation

Guy: "Yeah, you're right. I would much rather put my money into blackjack"

Me: "Um...unless you are counting cards, that is an even worse idea"

Guy: "No, I don't think so"

Me: "Well, do you really think casinos would have a game where they didn't make money from you in the long term? The odds are against you in the long run"

Guy: "Yeah, but think about it. The dealer is forced to make certain plays like hit on 16. That gives me the advantage since I can make whatever plays I want."

Me: "Ok we shouldn't talk about this anymore, lets change the subject"
Bumping a thread full of win with a post full of win
Pondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #2077
Blizzuff
veteran
 
Blizzuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,711
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_dusto View Post
"ZOMG how do you get money into/out of poker?" (this is the most common one I hear; I'm considering drawing a little picture of how Neteller works and keeping it in my wallet for visual aid purposes
Is it wrong of me to laugh at a post from 2006 with this in it?
Blizzuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #2078
duhstin
journeyman
 
duhstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbia,SC
Posts: 224
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

word to the wise never tell your girlfriends traditional parents that you play poker.
duhstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #2079
Frank the Tank
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,458
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I started playing poker regularly and semi-jokingly calling it my "job." (I'm in university. Poker is the only income for me that's not my parents). My friends sometimes rag on me for it or say stuff like "poker's gambling, you can't win when you gamble." Then I paid for a party in a VIP lounge with my winnings. This is how several of the conversations during the party went.

Friend: Wow, this is a really sick lounge.
Frank: Yep. Wanna know how I was able to afford it?
Friend: How?
Frank: 15 hours of poker.

We now have a deal that none of them can rag on my poker playing ever again.
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #2080
The Detonator
Pooh-Bah
 
The Detonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,017
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Majority of my friends dont gamble, a few gamble with a basic knowledge of poker

From the people with a basic knowledge (buy in for just above the minimum at the casino and are busted in an hour)

You are just one of those lucky guys that always gets pocket aces

Its rubbish every time I get Ace King the flop is rubbish

Im just one of those people who dont get cards thats how it works, you get cards, I dont

Daniel Nagreaneu is the best poker player in the world have you seen some of his reads on youtube?


And from the people with zero basic knowledge of poker

So your gambling again? Man your addicted

Poker is just luck you know, your just a luckbox, one day you'll lose it all

POKER IS NOT A SPORT!! (I KNOW, I DIDNT SAY IT WAS A SPORT, ITS A GAME, MONOPOLY IS A GAME, HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS IS A GAME, POKER IS A GAME. JUST BECAUSE WE PLAY DOESNT MEAN WE THINK ITS A SPORT)
The Detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #2081
The Detonator
Pooh-Bah
 
The Detonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,017
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

And another one from people at my sporting club

"Why dont you come down on thursday nights and just smash it?"

Its 1/2 with a $20 buy in, yes, you start with 10 big blinds
The Detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #2082
vilemerchant
old hand
 
vilemerchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 1,759
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Friend: Wow, this is a really sick lounge.
Frank: Yep. Wanna know how I was able to afford it?
Friend: How?
Frank: 15 hours of poker.

We now have a deal that none of them can rag on my poker playing ever again.
haha any ****** who got lucky on a greyhound race could pay for a party, they probably still think you're a degen.
vilemerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #2083
texan1382
grinder
 
texan1382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denton, Tx
Posts: 602
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detonator View Post
And another one from people at my sporting club

"Why dont you come down on thursday nights and just smash it?"

Its 1/2 with a $20 buy in, yes, you start with 10 big blinds
Lolololol at that game.


Ones I get:

"Can you count cards?" Which always gets complicated because I can to a decent extent (still can't get down the Illustrous 18 all the way ), but now I just say "In Blackjack where it's POSSIBLE I can."

"Wanna Double this money?" Sure, If I can keep it.

"Wanna teach me?" Sure, you're cute.

"But how much have you lost? The house always wins you know"
texan1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #2084
vilemerchant
old hand
 
vilemerchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 1,759
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan1382 View Post
"But how much have you lost? The house always wins you know"
The balla thing is to tell people you've lost 2 million dollars at poker but it doesn't worry you because you know you'll make it all back some day.
vilemerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #2085
Restlys
old hand
 
Restlys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,227
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Back in the day, like a 2years ago im at my ex's christmas family party.....and theres a poker game going on in the basement so they come and get me upstairs and im like sure ! ill play with you guys.

No my ex's bro knew i was playing alot of poker..i wasnt pro at the time but i did play a bunch..

So we start this 5 $ sng, im CO,sum limp to me and i bet...i get like 3 calls...flop comes...they all look at me;

Gf's bro :so what are you doing
me: your utg, your the first to act
him : euhm no man, its the person that bets preflop(he didnt call it that) first that goes first on the flop
me: euhm, i dunno where you learn that, but its the first person to the left of the dealer that is still ...etc etc you know what i said
him: Dude i played in a casino and thats not the way we played(WTF?!), you dont know the rules

Now the thing is, 2 of his friends are there and started agreeing with him and ****.

I got up, left the table.

im a really direct and honest guy...i hate lying and wont do it unless im saving a life or something...so in that situation i chose to keep things to myself and just leave the situation.

Apparently it runs in the family, im in honors psychology, and the bro's father was telling me about how therapy was all bs and **** ..... i actually made a credible argument with him and he didnt change his mind...i just stared him down for like 10 sec and left.
I just honestly felt like lowering my pants and throw turds everywhere.

Cliffnotes = Lotsa idiots, i drank lotsa booze.
Restlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #2086
bacats32
Pooh-Bah
 
bacats32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: your pocket
Posts: 5,601
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restlys View Post
Back in the day, like a 2years ago im at my ex's christmas family party.....and theres a poker game going on in the basement so they come and get me upstairs and im like sure ! ill play with you guys.

No my ex's bro knew i was playing alot of poker..i wasnt pro at the time but i did play a bunch..

So we start this 5 $ sng, im CO,sum limp to me and i bet...i get like 3 calls...flop comes...they all look at me;

Gf's bro :so what are you doing
me: your utg, your the first to act
him : euhm no man, its the person that bets preflop(he didnt call it that) first that goes first on the flop
me: euhm, i dunno where you learn that, but its the first person to the left of the dealer that is still ...etc etc you know what i said
him: Dude i played in a casino and thats not the way we played(WTF?!), you dont know the rules

Now the thing is, 2 of his friends are there and started agreeing with him and ****.

I got up, left the table.

im a really direct and honest guy...i hate lying and wont do it unless im saving a life or something...so in that situation i chose to keep things to myself and just leave the situation.

Apparently it runs in the family, im in honors psychology, and the bro's father was telling me about how therapy was all bs and **** ..... i actually made a credible argument with him and he didnt change his mind...i just stared him down for like 10 sec and left.
I just honestly felt like lowering my pants and throw turds everywhere.

Cliffnotes = Lotsa idiots, i drank lotsa booze.
I played in a home game when I first started playing that was like this. The next round action started with the last rounds first aggressor or raiser. Even though I was a beginner then, I knew it was ******ed. So did other people, the game got really big but then it died because of the ******ation going on there. They also, never balanced tables. One night it was rediculous, we were playing 3 handed while the other table was 7. They said, "well who do you move?"
bacats32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #2087
PatInTheHat
veteran
 
PatInTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,184
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

BEAT

Picked up girl @ bar and in cab on route to buddy's place:
Girl: "So what do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a professional poker player"
Girl: "Really?"
Me: "Yup"
Girl: "So you're unemployed?"
PatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #2088
vilemerchant
old hand
 
vilemerchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 1,759
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Yep, you are actually unemployed
vilemerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #2089
n4rf
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
n4rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,722
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I mean cmon, why on earth would you tell a girl you're trying to pick up that you're a pro poker player? it's common sense folks

I've been using investment banker with a mix of equity analyst (serious). It just goes way over girls' heads and they don't bother to ask questions which makes it mad convenient.

Plus if you're picking up a girl at the bar, you really don't want to sit there and make the conversation all about yourself by trying to explain to her what you do.
n4rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #2090
bumpking
adept
 
bumpking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 969
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

After years of the standard "what happens when you lose?", "what does your family think about that?", "why haven't I seen you on TV?", etc. I decided a new route that works great and they can't argue with it at all:

Moron: So what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm retired actually.
Moron: (surprised look on their face) REALLY? You're so young, what are you retired from?
Me: Online poker. Actually to be fair, I'm retired financially but now dabble in _________ (formula 1 racing, porn, big wave surfing, underwater filming for NatGeo --- depends on who the moron is and what I'm gonna get the most shock value out of)
Moron: ? (no idea what to say) /conversation
bumpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2091
bacats32
Pooh-Bah
 
bacats32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: your pocket
Posts: 5,601
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4rf View Post
I mean cmon, why on earth would you tell a girl you're trying to pick up that you're a pro poker player? it's common sense folks

I've been using investment banker with a mix of equity analyst (serious). It just goes way over girls' heads and they don't bother to ask questions which makes it mad convenient.

Plus if you're picking up a girl at the bar, you really don't want to sit there and make the conversation all about yourself by trying to explain to her what you do.
Probably because he thinks that said girl would think it is cool that he is a hustler type. Backfired!!! No game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpking View Post
After years of the standard "what happens when you lose?", "what does your family think about that?", "why haven't I seen you on TV?", etc. I decided a new route that works great and they can't argue with it at all:

Moron: So what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm retired actually.
Moron: (surprised look on their face) REALLY? You're so young, what are you retired from?
Me: Online poker. Actually to be fair, I'm retired financially but now dabble in _________ (formula 1 racing, porn, big wave surfing, underwater filming for NatGeo --- depends on who the moron is and what I'm gonna get the most shock value out of)
Moron: ? (no idea what to say) /conversation

This makes me lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bacats32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #2092
r1zz0
old hand
 
r1zz0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Emma Watson's windows
Posts: 1,405
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimdaniel View Post
I dont tell anyone that i play poker, but I thought my grampa might understand, since he is a very inteligent person and has studied economi etc, so I told him.

I explained him about EV, variance, BRM, static system with HEM.

And then he was like: Karim... I've been a 10/20 grinder for years now, I know all about what your saying and I am very proud of you being a winning poker player.

And he showed me he's hold'em manager graph and we discussed some hands etc.
pics?
r1zz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #2093
r1zz0
old hand
 
r1zz0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Emma Watson's windows
Posts: 1,405
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

One day at school I had a long argument with this guy.

Him: But surely you cant win if you get unlucky
Me: Yeah but you get your fair shair of luck, the better players win in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No because everyone will get the same amount of luck in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No, there are books that teach you how to win.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: *slap*
Him: *crying* you're a meanie.

ok so I made the last two up...
r1zz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #2094
Wolv3rine
journeyman
 
Wolv3rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 283
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1zz0 View Post
One day at school I had a long argument with this guy.

Him: But surely you cant win if you get unlucky
Me: Yeah but you get your fair shair of luck, the better players win in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No because everyone will get the same amount of luck in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No, there are books that teach you how to win.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: *slap*
Him: *crying* you're a meanie.

ok so I made the last two up...
Ahahahah, good one.
Wolv3rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #2095
fl0w
journeyman
 
fl0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Self-destruction. Also, Sweden.
Posts: 353
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1zz0 View Post
One day at school I had a long argument with this guy.

Him: But surely you cant win if you get unlucky
Me: Yeah but you get your fair shair of luck, the better players win in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No because everyone will get the same amount of luck in the long run.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: No, there are books that teach you how to win.
Him: But surely luck comes first, and skill second?
Me: *slap*
Him: *crying* you're a meanie.

ok so I made the last two up...
"And don't call me Shirley" imo
fl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #2096
BT2
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mos Eisley
Posts: 4,468
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w View Post
"And don't call me Shirley" imo
hehe
BT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #2097
cheet
veteran
 
cheet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,498
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I'm sure a lot if you are in this situation with a friend or family member:

My grandma thinks poker is bad/impossible to win even though I've been winning for years and telling her about. Recently, she has been asking me how I've been doing at poker when she sees me. I always just say "good". This repeated discourse made me think she finally understands and is supportive. Last night she asks me and I give the standard answer and she says "just so you know I don't approve of this still". Which I translate to mean, she's anxiously awaiting me to report I'm losing so she can get an "I told you so" in there.

Now I'm stuck and forced to just always say I'm doing good, less I say I'm losing at the moment and therefore eternally labeling me as a degenerate losing gambler in her eyes.
cheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #2098
Onetwobit
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 2,263
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Can someone please tell me how to explain to my dad that poker really isn't 'gambling' .. (even though it is). My dad is a math guy and pretty damn smart but doesn't seem to understand that poker doesn't relate to gambling like he thinks it does (because i'm probably not explaining it entirely).

I try to explain to him about variance and somewhat of the system that is used, but no...its still gambling. It feels like its almost impossible to explain this **** to someone without them experiencing what it takes first hand.
Onetwobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #2099
Devilboy666
veteran
 
Devilboy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,569
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Tell him about nash equilibrium and kelly's criterion
Devilboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #2100
bacats32
Pooh-Bah
 
bacats32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: your pocket
Posts: 5,601
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

sit down with a coin and tell him that you will flip this coin. That every time it lands on heads he gets $1.50 and every time it lands on tails, he owes you $1. He will tell you that is kind of crazy I am sure, but explain to him that is what you are looking for in poker. That edge.

If he is a math guy you should be able to explain to him outs for draws and pot odds and the correlation between them. Explain in detail, that you know of 5 cards out of 52 and you hold 4 to a flush with 2 cards to come. Explain that means you have 9 outs because there is 9 hearts left in the deck. Explain that that means you have a 9 out of 47 chance of hitting or hitting once and missing 4 times, therefore in a $10 heads up pot you can only call a bet of $2.50 in order to break even. Don't get detailed right away about implied odds or anything. Just be real basic.

Get visual even, use a deck.
bacats32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive