Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #1776
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza_g View Post
Yea, and if you do win....how much have you lost?
I play 4/8. Last year I was in Vegas for a month. Played 150 hours. Came back a $1400 winner.

My Grandma asks how I did. I say I won $1400. She says, "yeah, but how much did you lose." I reply with, actually I won $11,400 but I lost $10,000. She says, "Why'd you lose that much? Can you not lose?". She looks at me like I must be terrible.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #1777
vig
adept
 
vig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikiwai View Post
It's hopeless to talk w/ anyone about it, except people who play. I've tried and now I know better.
This is an absolute rule
vig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #1778
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdouglass View Post
this thread is solid gold.


Have you guys ever had an intelligent conversation about online poker with someone who has never played before? I've had a few and I was very impressed with them afterwards.
On the plane on the way back from one of my first trips to Vegas to play poker (1998ish) I was next to some guy. He seemed really intelligent. We were talking about Math and Science. I brought up poker. He said he doesn't play any games that involve random number generators. I said poker isn't a casino game where the odds are stacked against you by design. What you need to overcome in poker is the rake. You know everyone gets the same mix of cards in the long run. To be successful at poker you just need to play your cards better than your opponents do. He looked at me with both confusion and intrigue at the same time.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #1779
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,805
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper21 View Post
stock traders get more love than poker players because what they do isn't zero sum. in poker, for someone to win someone has to lose. in the stock market, everyone can win, and it is therefore more socially respected.
I am a tournament poker player. I have also played chess tournaments, where an entry fee is paid, some of the players cash, but most do not. I have also run races (from 5K to marathon) where an entry fee is paid, some runners cash, but most do not.

These are all zero-sum activities (except that with a race I might finish out of the money and still get a T-shirt). Why is a poker tournament less socially acceptable than a 5K race or a chess tournament?

If being zero-sum is the only reason, it's not good enough.
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #1780
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
Beating 3/6 limit live is nearly impossible because of the rake or so I have heard
I think that's correct. Maybe an excellent player who can beat a 20/40 game could beat 3/6 in Vegas because the rake much smaller. But in CA they drop a $ amount each hand. I don't think it can be beat. But there are lots of 2+2ers who disagree.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #1781
Biggle10
veteran
 
Biggle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis/ Ultimate Frisbee pitch
Posts: 2,963
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyPlay View Post
I think that's correct. Maybe an excellent player who can beat a 20/40 game could beat 3/6 in Vegas because the rake much smaller. But in CA they drop a $ amount each hand. I don't think it can be beat. But there are lots of 2+2ers who disagree.
Unless they're dropping like $9+ a hand 3/6 is way easily beatable.
Biggle10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #1782
kidcharisma1
adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the renaissance
Posts: 1,099
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

"What you do last night?"

"I went to the casino."

"How did you do."

"I made $500."

"What did ya start out with?"

I started with 0 and found a dollar on the ground. Why do you have to explain to everyone what making money means. Obv I made more money then I started with.
kidcharisma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #1783
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAim View Post
"But what will you do when your luck ends?"
Fold until my luck comes back.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #1784
GFY_
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 287
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyPlay View Post
I play 4/8. Last year I was in Vegas for a month. Played 150 hours. Came back a $1400 winner.

My Grandma asks how I did. I say I won $1400. She says, "yeah, but how much did you lose." I reply with, actually I won $11,400 but I lost $10,000. She says, "Why'd you lose that much? Can you not lose?". She looks at me like I must be terrible.
You made $9.33 per hour. Awesome.
GFY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #1785
Human A.I.
centurion
 
Human A.I.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 155
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acbarone View Post
Yeah, I haven't had much success. Unfortunately, girls either assume I'm a degenerate or a rich television star/millionaire. But I'm neither; I just grind SNGs. So what do I tell the girls? I lie to them. Lying to women is +EV.
Lolz ^^^^^^^^
Human A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #1786
Sciolist
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY_ View Post
You made $9.33 per hour. Awesome.
That's more than one bet per hour in a live game, what's wrong with that?
Sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #1787
Logieuk
old hand
 
Logieuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,795
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

When i first started playing my GF said "You better not lose the house playing poker" and my dad keeps mentioning thats its pure gambling, which i disagree with. I tell him the reason i enjoy playing Poker and not games like BJ is that theres quite a bit of skill involved.

Skill that i dont have yet, but still.
Logieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #1788
Gregvenezia
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog0 View Post
I'm at a birthday shindig, all the girls go off to the bathroom and I'm talking to some guy. He's talking about work (he picks up garbage off the streets... no joke) and then when the girls get back, one of them listening in is like, "hey, do you know what he (me) does for a living? He plays poker on the internet."

him: "oh, really?"
me: "yeah"

For the next ten minutes, I'm stuck listening to how he won $40 at a home game once and that he prefers pocket twos to pocket aces.

What negative experiences have you guys had when someone found out you play poker for a living and/or on the internet?
lol yeah have had similar exp's. kinda sucks lol
Gregvenezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #1789
Carnivore
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,530
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun Gothic View Post
Hah, this would have been a great response.



Oh, I always answer people's questions and 99% of people don't stay stupid things (but then, we're not going to post about them, are we?) and I try to politely set them straight on misconceptions.
However, it still bugs me that poker is like psychology - everyone thinks they can have an equal say despite the obviously apparent fact that, just as some people know a little more about psychology than the average person, some people know a little more about poker than the average person

I found the same thing with my previous "career" as a personal trainer. Everyone has read a few articles on the internet or in a magazine, and it seems everyone has their ideas exercise. And alot of people carry far too much confidence in knowledge that's based on one online article or something they heard from a friend (and know nothing more about the source or research involved)
Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #1790
PokerStarSteve
adept
 
PokerStarSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 934
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieuk View Post
When i first started playing my GF said "You better not lose the house playing poker"
can't imagine how this would even happen.

Are ppl really mortgaging their houses and betting it all on black?

It seems possible its just strange that she would assume this will happen. Do you have a history of making monumentally stupid decisions?
PokerStarSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #1791
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmore View Post
happens at work all the time.

i have tried to explain in so many ways how i win at pokers but they just DONT BELIEVE ME. they think you CANNOT WIN POKERS.. THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS. they say one day ill find out its all luck

they say "but once i had pocket aces and lost to pocket 5s. its just luck"

i get into a heated argument and am really close to punching them all out but id get fired

also i work in an actuarial firm where everyone is supposed to be really smart and good at maths

WTF!?!?
What? You work in a Actuarial firm and your co-workers don't understand? This I don't believe. This is a firm where you have Actuarial Associates and Fellows? This can't be true.

Try asking them how Casinos make money. Then say but how come I can win a hand in BJ on occasion. There response should start talking about long term expectation and laws of large numbers. Then ask them if they know the difference between a Casino game and Poker. Explain to them that Casino games are constructed so that the Casino has a Mathematical edge in the game ... but they already know this. In Poker you play against other players and the playing field is level. All you need to do is play better than the other players. True, the house takes a rake and that needs to be overcome, but the other players are so bad and the rake is so small that it is no problem to overcome. So in Poker you have the mathematical edge. The problem is getting to the long run because in the short run it's easy to lose. The way you get to the long run quicker is by multi-tabling online. All this coupled with BR management and discipline ensures you won't go broke.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #1792
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciolist View Post
That's more than one bet per hour in a live game, what's wrong with that?
It's better than losing which is what 99.9% of the poker playing public does. But I'm sure GFY_ will tell you he can crush any 4/8 game for $20/hour but he doesn't play limit because it's not real poker. And at the same time he works a regular job.

Or maybe he just didn't think I realized it was $9.33/hour and was being helpful doing the calculation for me?
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #1793
ImNotSoLucky
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 290
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStarSteve View Post
Are ppl really mortgaging their houses and betting it all on black?
Red actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCdBsOIKYA
ImNotSoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #1794
Vantek
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 5,850
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
the rake is so small
This is NEVER the case.
Vantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #1795
Vanhaomena
old hand
 
Vanhaomena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,924
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I do talk about it with my friends and parents, and they're all chill about it (well, parents freak out a bit if bankroll / cashouts exceed their monthly salary) and understand the concept of online poker - some of them know even a bit of strategy - pretty well, since playing freerolls on B2B is a popular Finnish pastime amongst young men.

They were a bit dumbstruck when it came out I had once built a 30k+ bankroll which I proceeded to fully destroy at high stakes - your standard case of upswing-tilt and terrible BRM... Got a load of "why didn't you stop when..." which was in fact quite appropriate I admit.

The only mildly annoying thing is I've encountered is questioning about my bankroll size, cashouts etc... That's pretty personal info isn't it, but I've been pretty open about it since they're not (hopefully: not yet) life-changing amounts.

I never got absolutely any of the "how much did you lose", "it's rigged in favour of the house", "wanna know this roulette system I have?", and just once I've had to politely decline from turning 20€ to 200€ (I get to keep 20€ for myself if I succeed, but I have to pay the 20€ back in any case before friday...)

Maybe off topic since I actually do tell people I play poker, just wanted to point out that there are parts in the world where (online) poker is pretty decently understood.

Last edited by Vanhaomena; 06-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Vanhaomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #1796
bacats32
Pooh-Bah
 
bacats32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: your pocket
Posts: 5,601
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharisma1 View Post
"What you do last night?"

"I went to the casino."

"How did you do."

"I made $500."

"What did ya start out with?"

I started with 0 and found a dollar on the ground. Why do you have to explain to everyone what making money means. Obv I made more money then I started with.
Best post I have seen in a while. WP sir!
bacats32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #1797
Kitty Viola
journeyman
 
Kitty Viola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 286
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhaomena View Post
I do talk about it with my friends and parents, and they're all chill about it (well, parents freak out a bit if bankroll / cashouts exceed their monthly salary) and understand the concept of online poker - some of them know even a bit of strategy - pretty well, since playing freerolls on B2B is a popular Finnish pastime amongst young men.

They were a bit dumbstruck when it came out I had once built a 30k+ bankroll which I proceeded to fully destroy at high stakes - your standard case of upswing-tilt and terrible BRM... Got a load of "why didn't you stop when..." which was in fact quite appropriate I admit.

The only mildly annoying thing is I've encountered is questioning about my bankroll size, cashouts etc... That's pretty personal info isn't it, but I've been pretty open about it since they're not (hopefully: not yet) life-changing amounts. Nothing good will come of it.

I never got absolutely any of the "how much did you lose", "it's rigged in favour of the house", "wanna know this roulette system I have?", and just once I've had to politely decline from turning 20€ to 200€ (I get to keep 20€ for myself if I succeed, but I have to pay the 20€ back in any case before friday...)

Maybe off topic since I actually do tell people I play poker, just wanted to point out that there are parts in the world where (online) poker is pretty decently understood.

Seriously? Why on earth would you tell (Brag to) your parents that your bankroll or cashouts exceed the size of their monthly salaries? Or tell anyone exactly how much you win or lose at any given time, past or present?

My parents know I play poker, aren't necessarily thrilled about it, but they are satisfied when I assure them that I'm doing fine, have plenty of cash to pay my bills every month, etc. They don't need the details, and if they asked I would keep the answers very vague. People who don't play poker don't understand (or even want to) exactly how it happens or what the risks are, bankroll requirements, etc.

I don't see why it should be any different from any other profession...when it comes to income, don't ask, don't tell. You say that you are "pretty open" about your wins/losses now because the amounts aren't life-changing, but, really, it's none of anyone's business. It will only start to make them feel bad about themselves if you make more than they do, or feel superior if they make more at their dumb job.
Kitty Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #1798
craigmd
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 318
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY_ View Post
You made $9.33 per hour. Awesome.
why do people make posts like this
craigmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #1799
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
This is NEVER the case.
Never??

The rake isn't small in a 20/40 limit game?

The time charge isn't small in a 100/200 limit game?

OK??
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #1800
theredphoniex
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 438
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieuk View Post
When i first started playing my GF said "You better not lose the house playing poker" and my dad keeps mentioning thats its pure gambling, which i disagree with. I tell him the reason i enjoy playing Poker and not games like BJ is that theres quite a bit of skill involved.

Skill that i dont have yet, but still.
I am on unemployement and taking another shot at playing...

got to go with no telling. if this goes well - I will tell everyone that I will open up a small investment office where I can play. A nice little front

My family/friends would rather me earn 'honest $'.

....I want to say I do! Honest! I only bet with the nuts
theredphoniex is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive