Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #1751
n4rf
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
n4rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,722
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I have never disclosed to anyone how much money I've made in poker. I'm sure it's been mentioned but people always have a basic idea or some number in there head of which they expect to hear. So if I were to actually say how much I've made I'm sure the actual amount far exceeds the number in their head and then it's a bit awkward.

this is why if someone already knows I play poker and asks me how much I've made, I say "a good amount" and leave it at that.

I also wanted to mention I think it depends on your crowd. I'm still in school and most of my friends do not have good jobs or actually have no job so for me to say I'm making X amount when they ask me definitely gets to be a little awkward.

Last edited by n4rf; 06-11-2009 at 01:53 PM.
n4rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1752
Carnivore
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,530
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
Had my first, "How much did you make last month? But how much did you lose?" the other day from my mates girlfriend. I just thought of this thread and laughed while her boyfriend explained it to her.
I just tell them I lost all of it and then ask for a stake....

Well I don't but it might be funny. Until I have to assure them it was a joke.
Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #1753
dragonystic
banned
 
dragonystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: unleashing the 2xer
Posts: 5,210
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

new thing that has been happening lately that is leaving me *?*

"so what do you do for a living?"
"poker"
"oh cool. sooo, do you like, count cards?"
"..."

what exactly do you think poker is?
dragonystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #1754
funkyj
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonystic View Post
new thing that has been happening lately that is leaving me *?*

"so what do you do for a living?"
"poker"
"oh cool. sooo, do you like, count cards?"
"..."

what exactly do you think poker is?
My wife put the movie 21 in our netflix queue because quote "I know you like poker".

The good news is she does know the difference between poker and blackjack. Pretending to be stupid and see if the other person really meant what they said is a game we play ...

The best thing I can say about the movie is that it gave me some context for when Andy Block (sp?) and Chris Ferguson talk about it on PAD.
funkyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #1755
Vantek
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 5,850
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Sounds stupid? Well..
You buy football ticket, watch the match and receive 1 part of fun as a payment for your brain. Professional football players gets your money.
You deposit to poker, you play like a dumbass and get 1 part of thrill and 1 part of fun as a payment to your brain. Professional poker players gets your money.

Whats the difference? How can you not get this?
Quote:
As I said majority of the poker players are loosing players who play FOR FUN, if you compare them to people who watch football FOR FUN, I dont see a difference. And whether the winning player is high stakes professional, mid stakes grinder or someone who plays for extra income as a hobby there is always the loosing player who gets he's FUN for playing, as the same way sports fan gets he's FUN for watching the match. So the halo where the players stand in is not relevant here.
1) You watch football. You play poker. I would say televised tournament pros are somewhat comparable to football players. Small stakes online grinders are not.

2) For the football fan, the existence of professionals is required for any experience to exist at all. For the "for fun" poker player, the experience would be much better if it wasn't for the pros.

Quote:
Well actually stock traders are productive, since they invest to some company which may have nice business idea and the company with the invested money can make it happen.
No... Those are stock investors. Also stock dealers are productive.

Stock traders are not:
Quote:
Stock traders usually try to profit from short-term price volatility
Yet I believe anything to do with stock, including these guys, are even respected in our society. Thus it's pretty stupid to try to disrespect poker pros on the grounds of nonproductivity.

Quote:
I mean if you want society where everyone must be 100% productive, then I dont know man.. maybe get a time machine and go to nazi germany?
What is your problem, guy. I only said it's not productive which is perfectly common and acceptable in other areas of the society, so it would be unjust to scorn online poker for this reason. I'm essentially saying the same thing as you, dummy, with even better justification. Way to attack your ally.
Vantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #1756
JackRandall
old hand
 
JackRandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,967
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Wrt the whole "how much did you lose?" thing, there are people who confuse "cashed for" with "won", like they come 1st in a SNG for 25 and say I won 25, completely disregarding the 5.50 it cost to enter and the 4 they didn't cash in prior. You get this even more with things like fruit machines,in the bar were I used to work people would always claim to have won £50 or whatever, failing to mention the £45 they'd put in in the first place. The best bit about this was when they'd be pressured into getting the drinks in because they'd just "won" £50.
JackRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #1757
kikadell
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,020
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

everyone who talks to me about poker always asks me "made your millions yet"? with a douchey smile, or asks me how much money i have.

i dont ask you how much money you have, so stop asking personal questions like that.
kikadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #1758
Estor
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 39
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikadell View Post
everyone who talks to me about poker always asks me "made your millions yet"? with a douchey smile, or asks me how much money i have.

i dont ask you how much money you have, so stop asking personal questions like that.
Had this same, once CEO (it's small company, so CEO works as programmer, like we employed) asked me this same after weekend. Here is my answer:
"As you can see, im still at work, so... no i did not.... yet. But when i win, i will send you postcard "

He never asked me again about poker
Estor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #1759
Raygun Gothic
old hand
 
Raygun Gothic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,722
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Eating in the kitchen (university housing block) playing Badugi on my laptop; someone who knows I play a lot comes in and starts watching. He asks what game it is, I explain, he says he plays NLHE, I try to look interested and ask what stakes, he says he plays £5 home games maybe once a month or something.
I see where this is going.
He then gives me some outstanding strategy advice, involving "only playing your own hand" and "playing low cards instead of high cards so nobody thinks you have it". I nod and die a little inside.
Raygun Gothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #1760
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,805
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikadell View Post
everyone who talks to me about poker always asks me "made your millions yet"? with a douchey smile, or asks me how much money i have.

i dont ask you how much money you have, so stop asking personal questions like that.
A lot of friends ask me how I'm doing at poker. For the most part they understand poker at least a little bit and understand that I'm building a bankroll and working my way up.

I'm thinking about starting a blog; partly for the constructive critiscism I might get that will help my game, but also so I don't have to send E-mail updates to a bunch of friends in other cities telling them how I'm doing.

Telling people how much money you make is a tricky issue. A lot of people's salaries are pretty much known, or at least people have a general idea. This would include public employess, and anyone else under a union contract. And when I ran for local office, I warned my wife that we would be giving up our privacy. If someone wanted to see our tax return, "none of your business" is never the right answer in the political arena, it is assumed that you're hiding something.

I don't make a lot of money 4-tabling $5 DONs, so I'm don't mind disclosing those numbers to my friends. But soon I will be making a lot more. I'm disclosing now, should I stop when I'm making more money than most of my friends?

Complicating this still further is that those who know how to use the poker websites can get a pretty good idea of how you're doing anyway. There are lots of websites that you can use to scout other players.

So, this really is a tricky area, but don't assume for a minute that because your friends don't know that you paid cash for your new car, they won't know that you're a "baller". All it would take is for one friend to hear about these poker sites and spread the word, or even see you on the computer 8-tabling $50 tournaments. Then your friends who made 30K last year will all figure out that you make at least 5 times that.

When that happens, one piece of advice. Change your phone number!
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #1761
Tapirboy
Pooh-Bah
 
Tapirboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: babytapirphotos on tumblr
Posts: 4,993
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun Gothic View Post
He then gives me some outstanding strategy advice, involving "playing low cards instead of high cards so nobody thinks you have it". I nod and die a little inside.
I think I would just say "that doesn't really work in Badugi."

I didn't used to tell anybody, but I'm coming around to being more open and friendly about it, so that people can think of that more or less normal nice guy they talked to once who was a poker pro, and maybe they're not so bad. So far I haven't had any of the ridiculous crap responses in this thread, apart from occasionally people describing their "strategy." Then again I don't present as a typical 2+2er either.
Tapirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #1762
Tapirboy
Pooh-Bah
 
Tapirboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: babytapirphotos on tumblr
Posts: 4,993
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Clif View Post
A lot of friends ask me how I'm doing at poker.
I've found a really good strategy for that: I take it as a question about my self-employment, rather than about my gambling results. I can go on quite a while about how I'm doing at meeting my goals for getting hours in, and what I'm doing for educational development, and how I'm preventing workplace boredom, and so on. People lose interest long before money comes up at all.
Tapirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #1763
Raygun Gothic
old hand
 
Raygun Gothic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,722
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapirboy View Post
I think I would just say "that doesn't really work in Badugi."
Hah, this would have been a great response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapirboy View Post
I didn't used to tell anybody, but I'm coming around to being more open and friendly about it.
Oh, I always answer people's questions and 99% of people don't stay stupid things (but then, we're not going to post about them, are we?) and I try to politely set them straight on misconceptions.
However, it still bugs me that poker is like psychology - everyone thinks they can have an equal say despite the obviously apparent fact that, just as some people know a little more about psychology than the average person, some people know a little more about poker than the average person
Raygun Gothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #1764
The Negotiator
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 322
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonystic View Post
new thing that has been happening lately that is leaving me *?*

"so what do you do for a living?"
"poker"
"oh cool. sooo, do you like, count cards?"
"..."

what exactly do you think poker is?
This is a great video but if you want to hear this question asked again skip to 6:15

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=735160207
The Negotiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #1765
dragonystic
banned
 
dragonystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: unleashing the 2xer
Posts: 5,210
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Negotiator View Post
This is a great video but if you want to hear this question asked again skip to 6:15

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=735160207
ROFL
dragonystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #1766
notats
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 225
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure marrying her makes it legal to **** her.

Nice work, sir.
u anal?


nice
notats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #1767
supbro2
banned
 
supbro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dreams
Posts: 290
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Yesterday I bought a lottery ticket for 1$. I won 20$. I told it to my mom. An she was insta like BUT HOW MUCH DID U LOST. I loled because of this thread.
supbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #1768
Vanhaomena
old hand
 
Vanhaomena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,924
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbro2 View Post
Yesterday I bought a lottery ticket for 1$. I won 20$. I told it to my mom. An she was insta like BUT HOW MUCH DID U LOST. I loled because of this thread.
... Hopefully you answered "1$"
Vanhaomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #1769
vilemerchant
old hand
 
vilemerchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 1,759
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Clif View Post
All it would take is for one friend to hear about these poker sites and spread the word, or even see you on the computer 8-tabling $50 tournaments. Then your friends who made 30K last year will all figure out that you make at least 5 times that.
If I found out a friend was 8-tabling $50 tournaments, I wouldn't assume he's making 5 x 30K, I'd probably assume he's a loser. Most poker players ARE losers afterall.
vilemerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #1770
grimripper21
old hand
 
grimripper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: formerly Foldimo on ftp
Posts: 1,482
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post


Stock traders are not:


Yet I believe anything to do with stock, including these guys, are even respected in our society. Thus it's pretty stupid to try to disrespect poker pros on the grounds of nonproductivity.
stock traders get more love than poker players because what they do isn't zero sum. in poker, for someone to win someone has to lose. in the stock market, everyone can win, and it is therefore more socially respected.
grimripper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #1771
sejje
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
sejje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South-Central US
Posts: 6,428
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhaomena View Post
... Hopefully you answered "1$"
Since he said he won $20, I'm going to assume he cashed $21.

If not he's a moran and should be mocked.
sejje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #1772
Vantek
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 5,850
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
stock traders get more love than poker players because what they do isn't zero sum. in poker, for someone to win someone has to lose. in the stock market, everyone can win, and it is therefore more socially respected.
What SPECIFICALLY stock traders do is zero sum.

In that field... Do you feel casino owners/builders/... are socially disrespected?
Vantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #1773
dissata
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper21 View Post
stock traders get more love than poker players because what they do isn't zero sum. in poker, for someone to win someone has to lose. in the stock market, everyone can win, and it is therefore more socially respected.
money has to come from somewhere...

as I was once told by an airline attendant in England when I was asking about my luggage, "There's no magic going on here."
dissata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #1774
DiceyPlay
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,507
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Them: You play poker? Are you good?
Me: No, I think I suck. But lucky for me most people suck more than me.
Them: Do you play any other games?
Me: No, I like money too much.
Them: Do you count cards?
Me: Card counting in the sense that people do it in BJ doesn't really apply to poker.
Them: You are wrong.
Me: You know in BJ they use shuffling machines now where the discards are immediately put back into the shoe and shuffled in so card counting becomes irrelevant - the count is voided.
They look at me like I'm a moron.

People seem to get some kind of vision of how they think something works. They never investigate and/or figure how it really works. They're content having their view no matter how invalid it is.
DiceyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #1775
Reefypoopoo
banned
 
Reefypoopoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ninny rubbin'
Posts: 8,630
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

lol I get the 'card counting' thing well over 1/2 the time
Reefypoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive