Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #3276
oNste
veteran
 
oNste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia.
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Clif View Post
I suppose that's true. There is a professional video game circuit.
You do realise how hard some of those players train right?

The pro Starcraft players are insane.
oNste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #3277
noreallyimfine
enthusiast
 
noreallyimfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 97
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

still catching up on this thread... just had to say that today has been a rough one but this thread has cheered me up greatly

5 ****ing stars all day
noreallyimfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #3278
Aesah
 
Aesah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,508
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Donks View Post
The guy in question works as a telemarketer on twenty something $$ an hour by the way.
not bad for a telemarketer
Aesah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #3279
King Of The Donks
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 508
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesah View Post
not bad for a telemarketer
I'm in Australia where the average wage is 70k a year. But things are way more expensive here. $17 for a pack of smokes, $60 for a case of good beer, $500 a week + rents for shoebox apartments in Melbourne CBD, grocery bill of $120 a week to feed one person, $150 a month for full package pay TV, $70 a month for internet, high gas and electricity bills etc etc. Earning $25 an hour would mean you are just getting by in Melbourne with very little room for any kind of luxuries. The guy in question was a smarmy wanker anyway.
King Of The Donks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #3280
oNste
veteran
 
oNste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia.
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Donks View Post
I'm in Australia where the average wage is 70k a year. But things are way more expensive here. $17 for a pack of smokes, $60 for a case of good beer, $500 a week + rents for shoebox apartments in Melbourne CBD, grocery bill of $120 a week to feed one person, $150 a month for full package pay TV, $70 a month for internet, high gas and electricity bills etc etc. Earning $25 an hour would mean you are just getting by in Melbourne with very little room for any kind of luxuries. The guy in question was a smarmy wanker anyway.
Haha +1

I'm a Uni student working part time for $25 and hour.

If I was working for $20/hr full time I'd be ****ing hating life.

Sounds like a ****.
oNste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #3281
King Of The Donks
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 508
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oNste View Post
Haha +1

I'm a Uni student working part time for $25 and hour.

If I was working for $20/hr full time I'd be ****ing hating life.

Sounds like a ****.
Haha def

If you're single, to live a "good" life in an inner city suburb of Melbourne, you would need to be earning $80k minimum. If you're in a relationship and got a mortgage, then you need to be earning well into 6 figures. The average house price of a place like Fitzroy is over 900k now.
King Of The Donks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #3282
Benjamin the Donk
old hand
 
Benjamin the Donk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Micros. Don't trust my advice :)
Posts: 1,254
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

lol I was making almost that much stacking shelves at Woolies 5 years ago! (in Perth tho). Now I'm an engineer and part time degen.
Benjamin the Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #3283
Fsas
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Friend: I heard you play poker
Me: Yeah i make a decent bit online
Friend: You play online too? I'm so good we should play
Me: Yeah, what site?
Friend: Zynga..
Me: .____________________.
Fsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #3284
oNste
veteran
 
oNste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia.
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Donks View Post
Haha def

If you're single, to live a "good" life in an inner city suburb of Melbourne, you would need to be earning $80k minimum. If you're in a relationship and got a mortgage, then you need to be earning well into 6 figures. The average house price of a place like Fitzroy is over 900k now.
Yeah no doubt mate, play at crown much?
oNste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #3285
Randal_Graves
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Randal_Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: @tj_jurk
Posts: 10,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoogle View Post
You're the one in a million...

My mom: "You won today? Withdraw it. Now. Before the government bans online poker and they keep your money so you can't take it out. What's to stop them from doing that?"
Mom never lies.
Randal_Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #3286
Thommehh
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,068
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

lately had my worst downswing ever, like 4k

after that i won most back in a few tourneys and a friend of mine could not believe i did not quit right there (i'm still down since the beginning of the downswing)
Thommehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #3287
LolDonkamentz
veteran
 
LolDonkamentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London / Meribel
Posts: 2,563
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoogle View Post
You're the one in a million...

My mom: "You won today? Withdraw it. Now. Before the government bans online poker and they keep your money so you can't take it out. What's to stop them from doing that?"
DMoogle - 2006

The prophet had foretold this!!!!!!
LolDonkamentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #3288
kb12345
banned
 
kb12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 720
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Donks View Post
I'm in Australia where the average wage is 70k a year. But things are way more expensive here. $17 for a pack of smokes, $60 for a case of good beer, $500 a week + rents for shoebox apartments in Melbourne CBD, grocery bill of $120 a week to feed one person, $150 a month for full package pay TV, $70 a month for internet, high gas and electricity bills etc etc. Earning $25 an hour would mean you are just getting by in Melbourne with very little room for any kind of luxuries. The guy in question was a smarmy wanker anyway.
lol dont know where you are getting these stats from, but the average wage is exactly the same as the US. Go check the government statistics.

But prices are 10x as steep.
kb12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #3289
King Of The Donks
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 508
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb12345 View Post
lol dont know where you are getting these stats from, but the average wage is exactly the same as the US. Go check the government statistics.

But prices are 10x as steep.
Abs ( which is a government website ), claims the average full time wage in Australia is $1304.20 per week in 2011. Now x that by 52 and you have over 67.5k. That was in 2011. It's now approaching 2013 and it has went up to about 70k. Stats are below, table 8.43. Enjoy.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....s~Earnings~299
King Of The Donks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #3290
King Of The Donks
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 508
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolDonkamentz View Post
DMoogle - 2006

The prophet had foretold this!!!!!!
If only we all had of listened
King Of The Donks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #3291
Sciolist
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Donks View Post
Abs ( which is a government website ), claims the average full time wage in Australia is $1304.20 per week in 2011. Now x that by 52 and you have over 67.5k. That was in 2011. It's now approaching 2013 and it has went up to about 70k. Stats are below, table 8.43. Enjoy.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....s~Earnings~299
http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/e...gion&ind=false is AU vs US income based on purchasing power equity - i.e, what it lets you buy.
Sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #3292
nionios89
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 116
Thumbs up Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgood9 View Post
Conversation I had last week with my mom:
I just won $250 at 1/2 live cardroom

Mom: Where did you go last night?
Me: This cardroom nearby
Mom: WHAT!?! Who runs it?
Me: This Asian businessman. The whole place is really nice and homely though.
Mom: What stakes did you play for?
Me: The blinds were 1/2 dollars.
Mom: What does that mean?
Me: I bought in for $200.
Mom: WHAT!? You're a student, you shouldn't be wasting your money like that.
Me: Well if you cared to ask I've gone multiple times and have won 75% of the times I went. In fact, yesterday I made $250 in three hours of playing.
Mom: Well it's all luck, you'll lose everything if you keep playing.
Me: No I won't, poker is a game of skill.
Mom: You can't control what cards you get.
Me: I know, but I have control over how I play the certain hands I play, and I use a lot of variables to make my decisions. But I can tell you don't care about that. If you want to have an adult conversation about this, I'm ready any time.
Last line was epic!
nionios89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #3293
Fsas
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

when in doubt, pull out the sharkscope graph usually shuts everyone up
Fsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3294
NthDegree
banned
 
NthDegree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: A table near you
Posts: 268
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreallyimfine View Post
still catching up on this thread... just had to say that today has been a rough one but this thread has cheered me up greatly

5 ****ing stars all day
Same.
NthDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #3295
Jean
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Got house!
Posts: 1,585
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I moved to the UK last year to start playing full time. On day 2 of being a full-time player, the tech guy of the building wakes me up for a routine control. The conversation litterally went:

"What you do for a living mate?"
"Ar, I play poker"
"Really?"
"Yeah"
"Well the other time I was playing at the Vic, there was this guy. I had noticed whenever he had a good hand, he bet with his left hand. But when he had a bad hand, he would take the chips in right hand and shove them in, you see? So I had two tens, I called, and the flop was like a queen, a nine and a seven ... no that was the 4 of hearts, or maybe a deuce. He said "ten" and I said call. Then another deuce, he said "25" and I said call. Then he bet 60, with his right hand again. I said call and he said <<you're good>>."

That was followed by an akward 5 seconds silence. I now realise I was expected to answer something to the effect of "Yeah, right/left hand betting patterns recognition is one of the major skills of a good poker player".

I wish I had read this thread before, I would have had a good laugh instead of thinking "what the hell is going here?". I guess I lost my poker-virginity on day 2. Me iz poka playa now, yeah!

The end of the conversation was something like: Do you play comps? What? Comps. What? Comps! Errr, what? COMPS! Errr no, I play tournaments.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3296
Jean
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Got house!
Posts: 1,585
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthDegree View Post
Same.
Oh yeah, 5*.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #3297
Jean
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Got house!
Posts: 1,585
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
Mom: come downstares to eat.
Me: closing a loosing session.
Mom: Did you played poker.
Me: Yeahh....(blehh)
Mom: and?
Me: I lost ....$
Mom: But how much did you win??
Me: &%&$%$%
Your Mom rocks. Mine's unhappy whenever I tell her poker's been going fine for me lately and happy whenever I'm on a downswing. She hopes heavy enough losses will make me go for a "real job". You wanna trade?
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #3298
billyd77
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 101
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog0 View Post

For the next ten minutes, I'm stuck listening to how he won $40 at a home game once and that he prefers pocket twos to pocket aces.


LOL
billyd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #3299
Pleeeasefold
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 174
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I don't tell my gf I play poker because she always freakes out when she knows I'm playing, if she knows then I don't get "any" for the next 48 hrs, I even bought home 8k in cash that I won on a live game, and she still freaked, the best poker is after 7pm until morning, it's her quality time with me. I always have to keep lying to her that I'm going to hang out with friends, so the question is, should I choose poker ? Or the gf? Anyone else have this problem?
Pleeeasefold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #3300
Busche1427
grinder
 
Busche1427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Half a level ahead.
Posts: 561
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeeasefold View Post
I don't tell my gf I play poker because she always freakes out when she knows I'm playing, if she knows then I don't get "any" for the next 48 hrs, I even bought home 8k in cash that I won on a live game, and she still freaked, the best poker is after 7pm until morning, it's her quality time with me. I always have to keep lying to her that I'm going to hang out with friends, so the question is, should I choose poker ? Or the gf? Anyone else have this problem?
First of all post this is the relationship thread in OOT or wherever it is.

I think you need to figure out what you want out of this... if you're just having fun, sure keep lying.

But if she doesn't accept it you either need to have a long talk with her or find a girl who accepts you for who you are. Not going to work in the long run
Busche1427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive