Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #2901
isunkurbttlship
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
isunkurbttlship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7,373
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbuzzbeater View Post
My girlfriend just didn't understand poker at all. She didn't really care what I did with my time away from her, but she didn't see why I would waste it playing some game online, and she didn't understand how I made money from it consistently, if it was just "gambling".

So I gave her this analogy: let's say I hold up number behind my back between 1 and 10. If you give me $5, you can try to guess the number. If you're right, I'll give you $55. If you're wrong, I keep the money. Would you take that bet? She responded, "of course not, I'm going to lose 9 times out of 10". Of course I facepalmed. Some people really just don't get it.

She is now my ex-girlfriend by the way. Not because of that discussion though....
im stealing this
isunkurbttlship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #2902
Sciolist
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isunkurbttlship View Post
im stealing this
The way to make it obvious is to then say "ok, let's flip a coin. If it comes up heads you give me $5.50. If it comes tails, I give you $5". I imagine most people will understand it's the same proposition.
Sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2903
mephisto
Pooh-Bah
 
mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Jemy is unfortunately right, the truth hurts. Unless you are a successful high stakes player that likes to show off his wealth I would just avoid the poker conversation all together. It's just too hard to explain poker to people that have strong preconceived notions that our favorite game is just gambling. Accept it, create a strong cover story, and work on your game until you are in a position to mention that you play poker for a living to the masses.
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #2904
Sciolist
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

This is my millionth post in this thread on the same subject, but I've never had any of these negative conversations. In the past 9 years I've played poker for 3 and worked for PS for 6.

The closest I've come was with my hairdresser and even that ended up with her recognising that what she thought happened wasn't true. I couldn't explain how you win well enough to convince her why I was right, but she believed me when I said it was possible.

I can only imagine that most people who've had bad conversations just aren't very good at having conversations.
Sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #2905
duecesful
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 451
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciolist View Post
The way to make it obvious is to then say "ok, let's flip a coin. If it comes up heads you give me $5.50. If it comes tails, I give you $5". I imagine most people will understand it's the same proposition.
Ive used this even saying " I will give you $10, and you give me $5" You would be surpised how many people still say no.
duecesful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #2906
Sciolist
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 17,463
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duecesful View Post
Ive used this even saying " I will give you $10, and you give me $5" You would be surpised how many people still say no.
Most people are more risk averse than a poker player is going to be - we have the same attitude once the money gets important to us, it's just that theirs kick in earlier.

They won't take the bet because they don't want to gamble rather than because they don't understand it's positive expectation.
Sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #2907
bigballa_3214
grinder
 
bigballa_3214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FLA
Posts: 482
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog0 View Post

What negative experiences have you guys had when someone found out you play poker for a living and/or on the internet?


I'm semi-pro and they start hatin' hard. I don't tell anyone anymore cuz it's none of their business.
bigballa_3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #2908
Kord
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 103
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStarryBra View Post
was talking with my two brothers bout online poker after we had some beer and some weed

bro1: why u play cards so many hours per day? its pointless
me: becouse im making money this way
bro1: lol but its not real money
me: it is real!
bro2: so where is the money?
me: its on my poker account
bro2: have you ever cashed out?
me: no, i need more money to build a bigger bankroll so i can make more money in the near future
bro1: this money is not real! u have never seen it and u never will *lol*
me: thousend of people out there making money while playing poker online and they make more then u can imagine
bro2: its not true, nobody is making a lot of money from playing poker online, internet washed ur brain.... ur a zombie
me: lol wtf, ofc they are tons of players out there, but nobody is talking about becouse of idiotic conversations like this one
bro2: poker is only luck
me: its pure maths!
bro2: if we gona play 10 hands u r not gonna win all of them
me: 10 hands is luck, milllion hands is skill
bro2: if its so easy to make money online... why u dont teach bro1 how to do it?
me: look at him, he is just to stupid for it
bro1: *loling all the time*
me: lets talk about something else.... its pointless, u just dont understand it


was something like this... sry for crappie english
LMFAO
Kord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #2909
Vanhaomena
old hand
 
Vanhaomena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,924
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
me: look at him, he is just to stupid for it
bro1: *loling all the time*
Vanhaomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2910
dfbuzzbeater
old hand
 
dfbuzzbeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chitown
Posts: 1,510
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciolist View Post
This is my millionth post in this thread on the same subject, but I've never had any of these negative conversations. In the past 9 years I've played poker for 3 and worked for PS for 6.

The closest I've come was with my hairdresser and even that ended up with her recognising that what she thought happened wasn't true. I couldn't explain how you win well enough to convince her why I was right, but she believed me when I said it was possible.

I can only imagine that most people who've had bad conversations just aren't very good at having conversations.
Is it possible that this is because you're not from the U.S.?

I just can't fathom this....
dfbuzzbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #2911
Flushtrated17
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a land down under
Posts: 451
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbuzzbeater View Post
Is it possible that this is because you're not from the U.S.?

I just can't fathom this....
I can definitely fathom it...if u explain it correctly to anybody with a normal IQ, they will understand it, at least to some extent...its not that hard to explain
Flushtrated17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #2912
dfbuzzbeater
old hand
 
dfbuzzbeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chitown
Posts: 1,510
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushtrated17 View Post
I can definitely fathom it...if u explain it correctly to anybody with a normal IQ, they will understand it, at least to some extent...its not that hard to explain
So are you saying that the almost 3000 posts in this thread (WHICH WAS CREATED FOR JUST THE OPPOSITE REASON) are by people who are "doing it wrong"?
dfbuzzbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #2913
rage4dorder
adept
 
rage4dorder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: imaginationland
Posts: 1,186
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Why I don't tell people I play poker:

Because I don't play anymore
rage4dorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #2914
leprous_hand
unclean
 
leprous_hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: General Snus
Posts: 16,249
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage4dorder View Post
Why I don't tell people I play poker:

Because I don't play anymore
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
leprous_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #2915
Freefalling
old hand
 
Freefalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Why do you care?
Posts: 1,606
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Because it's illegal
Freefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #2916
rakemeplz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rakemeplz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: feminine yuppie narc
Posts: 12,602
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Because most people launder clothes and not teh monies.
rakemeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #2917
ava_nl50
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefalling View Post
Because it's illegal
[x] rumours
ava_nl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #2918
elanomcfc
journeyman
 
elanomcfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wythenshawe, Manchester
Posts: 209
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

When I say I play poker for money online, my friends challenge me to play on zynega (facebook) and then assume they're a better player than me because they went all in every hand like the rest of the table and won with lowest pair or something

so I say, fine, put $10 on stars and I'll play you heads up

no-ones accepted that challenge yet
elanomcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #2919
RobFarha
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RobFarha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: @robbyrobbb
Posts: 9,467
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanomcfc View Post
When I say I play poker for money online, my friends challenge me to play on zynega (facebook) and then assume they're a better player than me because they went all in every hand like the rest of the table and won with lowest pair or something

so I say, fine, put $10 on stars and I'll play you heads up

no-ones accepted that challenge yet
so baller omg
RobFarha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #2920
elanomcfc
journeyman
 
elanomcfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wythenshawe, Manchester
Posts: 209
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFarha View Post
so baller omg
baller on a budget son
elanomcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #2921
fudude
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 101
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Tried telling my mom about me playing poker online for money, she goes on about its illegal and immoral.. turns on the tv and hears all the poker sites are taken down due to illegal activities such as money laundering, she has a go at me and tells me she doesn't want to see me playing poker as long as I live in same house.

Moral of my story is dont tell your ****ing parents.
fudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #2922
Ravedancer
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 367
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudude View Post
Tried telling my mom about me playing poker online for money, she goes on about its illegal and immoral.. turns on the tv and hears all the poker sites are taken down due to illegal activities such as money laundering, she has a go at me and tells me she doesn't want to see me playing poker as long as I live in same house.

Moral of my story is dont tell your ****ing parents.
Or move out of the basement.
Ravedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #2923
donbabba
old hand
 
donbabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,408
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava_nl50 View Post
[x] rumours
donbabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #2924
NiSash1337
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NiSash1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,185
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Some of my pokerbuddys watched me play when I won a pretty big score and somehow one of them couldn`t keep his mouth shut and told it so much people
(I don`t like people knowing that I play poker at all and especially I don`t want them to know how much I won).
So I go to a bar the next days after the score and a couple of people run into me congrulating me and were like "Ohh man and I did beat you Headsup once". I was like "lol samplesize" they then proceedrf to tell me how good they are and that they don`t like onlinepoker and liveplayers are much better than onlineplayers etc.
I started drinking then, again someone talked to me taking out his iphone showing me Screenshots of badbeats I only thought "C`mon u mother****in fish, I`m here to drink and want to have a good time and don´t want to talk about mother****in poker and especially I`m not interested in seeing your ****in badbeats"
He showed me a couple hands and told me that it was Cashgame I totally saw that those were SNG hands(Ldo he was playing NL2k, I srsly wanted to punch him in the face when he tried to convince me that it was NL2k). Also later that night about 10 people asked me for coaching, it was so ****in annoying.
NiSash1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #2925
litlebullet
veteran
 
litlebullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: circumventing the profanity filter
Posts: 3,479
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdonkey View Post
Created an USD account to my bank sometime ago for a $30k cashout because I bought an Audi TT last week. (Party rips you off in transaction costs.) However, I was unable move the money from the USD account to my EUR account via online bank, so I had to visit the teller today.

A young clerk girl really didn't know how to do it, so she got an older woman to help us out. While the older woman was doing the transaction she asked where did the money come from, since they have a policy to ask on all big amounts coming from other countries. I said "from an online poker site" to which the young girl said "man, I have to start playing poker too!". Elderly woman: "Yeah, it's good as long as you're winning, but how much did you lose?"

I died a little inside.

Moment later I gathered my stuff, walked out in flips and jean shorts and felt a little baller. Peace.
did you get the young clerk's #?
litlebullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive