Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #2576
Sub-Zer0118
old hand
 
Sub-Zer0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,223
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Was talking to brother in law and mother in law about poker when bro in law starts talking how he's a legend in poker but even if your good you'll never win because of luck (which makes no sense but whatever) and he says I will never understand his coolers and I say well you might be playing bad. If that was true I couldn't be winning consistently nor could any pro. He says it's hardly a skill game.

So I calmly give him a situation, your 10BB deep in a tourney and are dealt QQ on the button what do you do? He quickly gets up and shouts FOLD OF COURSE he could have AA or KK! You don't know they haven't acted yet. He then gives out a big d-bag smirk and my mother in law smiles and says, "see, your not the only good poker player."

I got up just got up and left shaking my head.
Sub-Zer0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #2577
Matt Wolfe
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: grinding the 180s
Posts: 1,248
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

^^ Phil Hellmuth teachings at work right there.
Matt Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #2578
babysmurf6
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 53
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zer0118 View Post
Was talking to brother in law and mother in law about poker when bro in law starts talking how he's a legend in poker but even if your good you'll never win because of luck (which makes no sense but whatever) and he says I will never understand his coolers and I say well you might be playing bad. If that was true I couldn't be winning consistently nor could any pro. He says it's hardly a skill game.

So I calmly give him a situation, your 10BB deep in a tourney and are dealt QQ on the button what do you do? He quickly gets up and shouts FOLD OF COURSE he could have AA or KK! You don't know they haven't acted yet. He then gives out a big d-bag smirk and my mother in law smiles and says, "see, your not the only good poker player."

I got up just got up and left shaking my head.
LMAO. That's priceless.
babysmurf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #2579
jewbinson
Pooh-Bah
 
jewbinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,248
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciolist View Post
Einstein didn't believe in a personal god. He just uses the word god as an abstract idea of why things are like they are. I don't think he's much use quoting as defence of religion, even if he arguably did believe in some kind of god figure (organised religion and god are not synonyms). Most would call him an agnostic by today's definition.

"In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast power in the hands of priests."
Yeah...

Spoiler:
jewbinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #2580
Sendarianbluffs
journeyman
 
Sendarianbluffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bluffing the river
Posts: 349
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Im playing a video game at a friends house, there's poker in it so i go and **** around i push all in with with Top Top and the computer player calls with a gut shot. Obv I loose, friend says "i thought you were good at this" face palm
Sendarianbluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #2581
jewbinson
Pooh-Bah
 
jewbinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,248
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendarianbluffs View Post
Im playing a video game at a friends house, there's poker in it so i go and **** around i push all in with with Top Top and the computer player calls with a gut shot. Obv I loose, friend says "i thought you were good at this" face palm
lol @ pushing w/ tptk
jewbinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #2582
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,805
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbinson View Post
lol @ pushing w/ tptk
It depends.
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #2583
mrducks
Pooh-Bah
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,157
Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikaKazak View Post
I was at a house party once....girl overheard I played poker for a living...I was like F ME another boring night of explaining how you can actually make money playing poker

BUT turns out she's from Las Vegas and her dad has been playing poker for a living for over 20 years ...we talk it up...get to know eachother..and that night I got a drunken bj ....best random hook up of my life
And they say there are no benefits that come with a job like poker
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #2584
Nathan Zamora
journeyman
 
Nathan Zamora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 324
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

"So, like... You know how to count cards?"
Nathan Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #2585
RobFarha
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RobFarha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: @robbyrobbb
Posts: 9,467
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendarianbluffs View Post
Im playing a video game at a friends house, there's poker in it so i go and **** around i push all in with with Top Top and the computer player calls with a gut shot. Obv I loose, friend says "i thought you were good at this" face palm
Red Dead Redemption obv
RobFarha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #2586
DARIPPA
centurion
 
DARIPPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Surface Parking Lot of BORGATA
Posts: 152
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFarha View Post
Red Dead Redemption obv
LMAO, RDR Rigged!
DARIPPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #2587
afiguy357
centurion
 
afiguy357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: livin life in high definition
Posts: 121
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

you guys have the patience to play that poker without cheating?
afiguy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #2588
FlatTireSuited
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,362
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Epic thread. That said, am I the only person here with reasonable family?
Dad thought poker was something along the lines of 5-card draw versus the house, and was worried when I told him I play a decent amount of poker.

Dad: How do you make money playing poker? Doesn't the house always win unless you're cheating like counting cards in blackjack?
Me: No, you're playing other players, it's my money versus their money, the house isn't involved.
Dad: So why would a casino offer the game?
Me: They still make money - the house just takes a rake [realizes he doesn't know what a rake is]...Essentially they just charge all the players a small amount for the right to have a nice, safe, trust-worthy place to play poker.
Dad: Oh. That makes sense. So as long as you're better than the other players, you win money, minus whatever the casino charges?
Me: Yes. [Wow that was easy].

And one Sunday when I visited him, poker came up again (since I had played the day before), he asked me how I did and I said it was a bad day, I lost $400. He goes "So the guys were better than you yesterday?", so I was at least happy that was his reaction, but then I began explaining about how my all-in bet with top set got called by a flush draw that hit...then realized that would be fruitless since he still thinks it's 5-card draw, so I went with this:

Me: Basically, I outplayed the guy such that we both put our money in a situation where I was about 70% likely to win and he 30% - this one time, the 30% happened.
Dad: Oh, so it's like the stock market - all you're doing is trying to put your money in favorable situations, and as long as they work out more often than they don't, you make money?

Having heard all of the horror stories of family members freaking out when it comes to poker, I was amazed.

Brag aside, I will contribute to the thread with my personal "how I explain poker to complete morons who think it's degen gambling". I go by over-simplifying poker to "The skill is trying to outplay the other guy such that you're putting your money into situations where you're better than 50% to win" (this of course ignores things like chasing draws when the pot odds are there, but it works). If this fails, I go with this:

Me: Okay, how about this - we'll flip a coin 100 times. Each time it lands on heads, you'll pay me $2, if it lands on tails, I'll pay you $1.

When they realize that, barring extremely bad luck I'm going to make money in that situation, I basically say the skill in poker is outplaying the other guy so that he's putting his money in a situation like that.

It's grossly over-simplifying the game, but honestly I've rarely had any problems. But then again, I don't talk about how I play online as well, just live, so maybe that helps.

Also, my brother's only thoughts on poker were that sunglasses should be banned - "If you can't control your eyes then tough ****", and he legitimately wanted to know how I don't give away massive tells because I fidget ALL the time.
FlatTireSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #2589
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,805
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatTireSuited View Post
Epic thread. That said, am I the only person here with reasonable family?
Dad thought poker was something along the lines of 5-card draw versus the house, and was worried when I told him I play a decent amount of poker.

Dad: How do you make money playing poker? Doesn't the house always win unless you're cheating like counting cards in blackjack?
Me: No, you're playing other players, it's my money versus their money, the house isn't involved.
Dad: So why would a casino offer the game?
Me: They still make money - the house just takes a rake [realizes he doesn't know what a rake is]...Essentially they just charge all the players a small amount for the right to have a nice, safe, trust-worthy place to play poker.
Dad: Oh. That makes sense. So as long as you're better than the other players, you win money, minus whatever the casino charges?
Me: Yes. [Wow that was easy].

And one Sunday when I visited him, poker came up again (since I had played the day before), he asked me how I did and I said it was a bad day, I lost $400. He goes "So the guys were better than you yesterday?", so I was at least happy that was his reaction, but then I began explaining about how my all-in bet with top set got called by a flush draw that hit...then realized that would be fruitless since he still thinks it's 5-card draw, so I went with this:

Me: Basically, I outplayed the guy such that we both put our money in a situation where I was about 70% likely to win and he 30% - this one time, the 30% happened.
Dad: Oh, so it's like the stock market - all you're doing is trying to put your money in favorable situations, and as long as they work out more often than they don't, you make money?

Having heard all of the horror stories of family members freaking out when it comes to poker, I was amazed.

Brag aside, I will contribute to the thread with my personal "how I explain poker to complete morons who think it's degen gambling". I go by over-simplifying poker to "The skill is trying to outplay the other guy such that you're putting your money into situations where you're better than 50% to win" (this of course ignores things like chasing draws when the pot odds are there, but it works). If this fails, I go with this:

Me: Okay, how about this - we'll flip a coin 100 times. Each time it lands on heads, you'll pay me $2, if it lands on tails, I'll pay you $1.

When they realize that, barring extremely bad luck I'm going to make money in that situation, I basically say the skill in poker is outplaying the other guy so that he's putting his money in a situation like that.

It's grossly over-simplifying the game, but honestly I've rarely had any problems. But then again, I don't talk about how I play online as well, just live, so maybe that helps.

Also, my brother's only thoughts on poker were that sunglasses should be banned - "If you can't control your eyes then tough ****", and he legitimately wanted to know how I don't give away massive tells because I fidget ALL the time.
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I have a tell that I have to watch. I have ADD, and I'm naturally very fidgety. When I get a big hand, I often stop fidgeting and sit up straighter.

It's a common tell, players with a big hand tend to "freeze" so they don't get excited and give away the strength of their hand. Check yourself for that one.

Last edited by Poker Clif; 08-02-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #2590
gfunk018
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: C-Town
Posts: 88
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I tell one friend I play poker and before I know it they tell someone else who eventually ends up asking me dumb questions that I do not want to have. better to keep your mouth shut.
gfunk018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #2591
Freefalling
old hand
 
Freefalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Why do you care?
Posts: 1,606
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Friend: You make money playing poker? Do you count cards?
Freefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #2592
FlatTireSuited
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,362
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Clif View Post
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

I have a tell that I have to watch. I have ADD, and I'm naturally very fidgety. When I get a big hand, I often stop fidgeting and sit up straighter.

It's a common tell, players with a big hand tend to "freeze" so they don't get excited and give away the strength of their hand. Check yourself for that one.
Yep. My solution is just to keep my left leg moving at all times. Just a consistent shake of the left leg that doesn't change regardless of hand strength.
FlatTireSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #2593
franxic
veteran
 
franxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: idiot with an anamolly
Posts: 2,059
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

http://daleroxxu.blogspot.com/2009/1...out-poker.html
franxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #2594
vaz1981
adept
 
vaz1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: eatin poop and stabbin dudes
Posts: 1,190
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendarianbluffs View Post
Im playing a video game at a friends house, there's poker in it so i go and **** around i push all in with with Top Top and the computer player calls with a gut shot. Obv I loose, friend says "i thought you were good at this" face palm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBABP1pUB18

lol jaimegoldaments
vaz1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #2595
DRUNKCOWBOY
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 269
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Asides from the usual "How much did you lose" and "Can you double $50 for me"

-What are you up to?
-Playing Poker
-OMG how much are you losing / how are you doing ?
-I'm up $2000 for the day
-Oh wow, where's my share? / Where's my gift?

Or, on a trip when I stopped by at a casino and won $700 playing 2/5 NL in a 1 hour session....

Friends/family members I travel with:
"I hope you are going to share" or "Does this mean you will be paying for the dinner / hotel?"

I almost said something along the lines of "Sure, will you be sharing your next paycheck with me?"
DRUNKCOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #2596
Sub-Zer0118
old hand
 
Sub-Zer0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,223
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUNKCOWBOY View Post
Asides from the usual "How much did you lose" and "Can you double $50 for me"

-What are you up to?
-Playing Poker
-OMG how much are you losing / how are you doing ?
-I'm up $2000 for the day
-Oh wow, where's my share? / Where's my gift?

Or, on a trip when I stopped by at a casino and won $700 playing 2/5 NL in a 1 hour session....

Friends/family members I travel with:
"I hope you are going to share" or "Does this mean you will be paying for the dinner / hotel?"

I almost said something along the lines of "Sure, will you be sharing your next paycheck with me?"
That sucks because then you look like the jerk when u don't share with anyone lol
Sub-Zer0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #2597
DRUNKCOWBOY
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 269
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zer0118 View Post
That sucks because then you look like the jerk when u don't share with anyone lol
It sucks even more when someone from your side of the friends/family announces to the group or visiting family, "Let's go to that expensive place, James is gonna treat us upon his luck-filled day, right James?". captainpicardfacepalm.jpg
DRUNKCOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #2598
franxic
veteran
 
franxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: idiot with an anamolly
Posts: 2,059
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

my fav is: how do u know ur opponents are real?

i often answer that stars is set up to cheat exclusively me and 3-4 other idiots and that boris becker is not a real person. thx god i am a genious, hacked their website and win anyway.

people who think they play against real opponents are the same that believe they really flew to the moon.
franxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #2599
5-Ton Hammer
journeyman
 
5-Ton Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: I rest my case....
Posts: 360
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

I like this thread. I thought I was the only one with not-wanting-them-to-know problems. Im happy to know there others like me.



Im also annoyed when ppl ask how much did I earn after an online session. I dont know about others but I dont really look at the cashier all the time to see how well Im doing.
So I dont really have an answer to give and I randomly say "about 200 or so..."


Also:

Me: "I ve running bad the last two month. My bankroll fell from 18K to 10K."

Friend: Omg, why you didnt withdraw the money!!! Now you lost it....

Me: ......



I recently told my mother that I play poker semi-professionally and what stakes I play in.
Replies have all been posted above ( MY SON!! YOU WILL END UP BROKE!!! etc.)
5-Ton Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #2600
royce_
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 740
Re: Why I don't tell people I play poker.

me: dad, I want to play poker for a living
dad: how are you going to do that you don't even have facebook
royce_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive