Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Here's where you put your whines and wins.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #51
aba20
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,746
Re: My story (long)

Quote:

1. Did/do you ever play at Chumash?

I used to yes.

Quote:

2. Is how much you're making actually enough to pay for your own place in IV? Do "own places" even exist there?
I don't live in IV anymore. I live downtown on the mesa. And housing in santa barbara is very expensive.
aba20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #52
AllIn3High
veteran
 
AllIn3High's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Letting others elaborate
Posts: 2,844
Re: My story (long)

Amazing story. Congrats and (continued) good luck.

Still can't believe you've had a bigger downswing tho...
AllIn3High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #53
aba20
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,746
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
Amazing story. Congrats and (continued) good luck.

Still can't believe you've had a bigger downswing tho...
Don't jinx me. Also do you still have that screen shot of us playing 2/4 NL back in january? Some posters wanted to see it.
aba20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #54
Sponger.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 20,593
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
Don't jinx me.
About a week ago you were playing on interpoker for the first time (that i knew of), and this was the first hand I saw at L10/20 full ring...

UTG limps, 3~ other people limp, you raise big in the BB, UTG goes all in for L2000~, all fold, you call.

You = KK
UTG = JJ
Flop = Jxx

UTG sits out and leaves before posting his BB. I got freaked out and stopped watching.
Sponger. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #55
TomHimself
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomHimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oooohhh Kill'em
Posts: 10,252
Re: My story (long)

great story!

gl and continue ur success
TomHimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 AM   #56
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,777
Re: My story (long)

aba,

FWIW, most of the top winners I know in 50/100NL have had a 200k+ downswing.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #57
AJFenix
Pooh-Bah
 
AJFenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: twitch.tv/adrianfenixx
Posts: 4,869
Re: My story (long)

Thanks for taking the time to write this out.
AJFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:10 AM   #58
have it all
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 471
Re: My story (long)

Well the games a much tougher online. Also live you can usually get a pretty good idea who is capable of making a move on you. I would say get a HUD and figure out which stats help you determine a players characteristics. Then have them on your display so you can make decisions based off of that.


aba,

would you mind posting which stats you use?
have it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #59
kiddo
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
Posts: 3,047
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
True but I was also playing 2/4, in january, which is only 10 and 20 times lower than the games I play now. I think anyone can move up to these limits in that time period if they are good without running hot.

I have played online nearly daily for over 4 years. Your history is very far from unique. There are so many guys moving up quickly and after 6 month finds themselves in the toughest games there are on internet. And do good in these games.

All these guys are sure it is their pokerskills that have taken them there. And most of the time it is. But what they dont understand (yet) is that there are so many other factors that becomes important. Like: How do I react when I hit my first really nasty downswing? How often do I play worse then I could? What happens when other good players at this limit get a read on me? Will I not get bored and start to play worse when I get used to the limit I play at? Will I not start to play worse when I become bored of playing poker (like u will sooner or later, maybe not each day... but after a while it is a work, not a hobby)... and so on and so on...

They guys winning big playing internet poker week after week after month after month after year after year got so many skills besides being good at playing poker. And after playing a lot on the net for 6 months and moving up all the time, u dont know if u got these skills. Come back after u have played poker for a living for 12 more months and u will see your own sucess in a different light.
kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #60
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: My story (long)

Great post Kiddo.
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #61
HEK
Pooh-Bah
 
HEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: follow me @HEK1
Posts: 5,464
Re: My story (long)

Excellent kiddo.

I feel like I'm going through that test right now and failing it.

aba,

Great work man and great story!
HEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #62
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,777
Re: My story (long)

kiddo,

I agree w/ your post 100%.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #63
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: My story (long)

FWIW, (and this probably doesn't mean too much coming from an 18 year old) lately i have been more and more impressed with your posts, a maturity and humility that may always have been there is more evident, and it is evident that you are a better and more seasoned player than I gave you credit for. Just thought i would throw it out there, since i didn't hesitate to bust your balls in the past either
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #64
Little_Jim
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 160
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
FWIW, (and this probably doesn't mean too much coming from an 18 year old) lately i have been more and more impressed with your posts, a maturity and humility that may always have been there is more evident, and it is evident that you are a better and more seasoned player than I gave you credit for. Just thought i would throw it out there, since i didn't hesitate to bust your balls in the past either
ggbman, I agree completely
Little_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #65
Gildwulf
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gildwulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23,491
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
Quote:
FWIW, (and this probably doesn't mean too much coming from an 18 year old) lately i have been more and more impressed with your posts, a maturity and humility that may always have been there is more evident, and it is evident that you are a better and more seasoned player than I gave you credit for. Just thought i would throw it out there, since i didn't hesitate to bust your balls in the past either
ggbman, why do you constantly act like anyone cares what your opinion is, as if you are some kind of authority, or that you are qualified to judge how good or seasoned a player such as HEK, who is clearly multiple times better than you, is?
easy there, captain threadcrapper
Gildwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #66
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: My story (long)

I really don't think i act like anything. I don't have any reason to think that means a great deal to HEK, i even said that in the post. However, there was a thread a while back where there was some conversation about him running hot, and I probably came as a little hostile, so i took an oppurtunity to pay him an compliment, it certainly wasn't for your benefit.

Also, believe it or not, sometimes people who havn't made the most money in the past 4 months don't suck, and are still decent players, most of the people i play with would attest to that. Anyway, we don't need to hiack a thread with your seemingly pointless attack, we can do it via PM if you really want, or agree on a location to throw down!
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #67
El Ishmael
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,047
Re: My story (long)

Macbowned.
El Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #68
aba20
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,746
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
Will I not get bored and start to play worse when I get used to the limit I play at?
I agree with most of your post and especially this point. I admit that I don't find poker as mentally stimulating as other activities and I have had trouble playing my best at "lower" stakes. I guess only time will tell if I am capable of playing my best all the time
aba20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #69
disjunction
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,040
Re: My story (long)

Quote:

ggbman, I agree completely
Quote:

ggbman, why do you constantly act like anyone cares what your opinion is, as if you are some kind of authority, or that you are qualified to judge how good or seasoned a player such as HEK, who is clearly multiple times better than you, is?
Whoa, what happened here? Who edited this?
disjunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #70
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: My story (long)

He did.
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #71
Little_Jim
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 160
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
He did.
Little_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #72
Staycool
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SF
Posts: 173
Re: My story (long)

aba, just found this thread...great story

you've inspired me to get in some deep live games--hopefully i can find those locally when i move to sf in 2 weeks

a couple questions for you:

when you were on your meteoric rise through the nl ranks, what was your bankroll requirement? how many hours did you play per month? how many hands?

thanks. gl and congrats on that 170k score!
Staycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #73
fsuplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fsuplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Guy's a pro.
Posts: 8,371
Re: My story (long)

Quote:
Quote:
True but I was also playing 2/4, in january, which is only 10 and 20 times lower than the games I play now. I think anyone can move up to these limits in that time period if they are good without running hot.

I have played online nearly daily for over 4 years. Your history is very far from unique. There are so many guys moving up quickly and after 6 month finds themselves in the toughest games there are on internet. And do good in these games.

All these guys are sure it is their pokerskills that have taken them there. And most of the time it is. But what they dont understand (yet) is that there are so many other factors that becomes important. Like: How do I react when I hit my first really nasty downswing? How often do I play worse then I could? What happens when other good players at this limit get a read on me? Will I not get bored and start to play worse when I get used to the limit I play at? Will I not start to play worse when I become bored of playing poker (like u will sooner or later, maybe not each day... but after a while it is a work, not a hobby)... and so on and so on...

They guys winning big playing internet poker week after week after month after month after year after year got so many skills besides being good at playing poker. And after playing a lot on the net for 6 months and moving up all the time, u dont know if u got these skills. Come back after u have played poker for a living for 12 more months and u will see your own sucess in a different light.
obv. a really good post kiddo.

aba, congrats on all your results. id be lying if i said i wasnt jealous.
fsuplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #74
ahnuld
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ahnuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: buy side
Posts: 17,544
Re: My story (long)

350k roll sounds really short to me but it obviously doesnt matter anymore. Nice run, sounds like it happened to a good guy too.
ahnuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #75
Keepitsimple
Pooh-Bah
 
Keepitsimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: raising your turn
Posts: 4,507
Re: My story (long)

aba probably has a million roll now
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive