Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
AJo 20/40 AJo 20/40

08-23-2021 , 04:18 AM
Reads: UTG+1 has played a lot of hands for my small sample size (7/15 hands or so) and only won 1/2 (2/7) that went to showdown, but showed down top two that got counterfeit (9To and lost) and top pair that held

7 handed utg+1 r hero utg+2 3bet AdJs, all fold

9c8s4c 3.5 BB
x/b/c

turn Kh 5.5BB
b/hero ?

Last edited by checkraisdraw; 08-23-2021 at 04:30 AM.
08-23-2021 , 11:38 AM
If I am reading your post correctly, villain leads the turn? I'm folding. This is a very marginal call that you just don't need to ever be making against a typical villain. Most players just have a king here way too often.
08-23-2021 , 03:30 PM
I’m folding. I may check flop too.
08-23-2021 , 06:28 PM
Yes, villain led turn.
09-20-2021 , 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingershuffle AJo 20/40
Iím folding.
Me, too.
Quote:
I may check flop too.
Why?
09-21-2021 , 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBostick AJo 20/40
Me, too.


Why?
I think you need to have some sort of check back range. Dude opened early and unless he is a maniac, then AJ suddenly becomes kinda meh on this flop. AK AQ are still ahead and won't fold, pocket pairs are ahead and won't fold, all sorts of QJ-89s type hands are now either ahead or have some sort of draw they won't fold. So the only hands you are targeting for value are AT, KJ, KQ type of hands. It's fine to let him have a free one when he now has the range advantage and see what the turn is.
09-22-2021 , 04:23 AM
If I checked behind and he led the turn, would we still go for the fold? I assume yes.
09-22-2021 , 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw AJo 20/40
If I checked behind and he led the turn, would we still go for the fold? I assume yes.
On that card yes
10-13-2021 , 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingershuffle AJo 20/40
Iím folding. I may check flop too.
It would have to be an extremely tight raiser for you to correctly fold the AJ. And it you don't fold, then you should three bet.

Mason
10-13-2021 , 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingershuffle AJo 20/40
I think you need to have some sort of check back range. Dude opened early and unless he is a maniac, then AJ suddenly becomes kinda meh on this flop. AK AQ are still ahead and won't fold, pocket pairs are ahead and won't fold, all sorts of QJ-89s type hands are now either ahead or have some sort of draw they won't fold. So the only hands you are targeting for value are AT, KJ, KQ type of hands. It's fine to let him have a free one when he now has the range advantage and see what the turn is.
I understand your argument that his range with this particular flop may be stronger than yours. But there are 7 1/2 bets out there and you don't have to pick it up very often for your bet to be correct. Also, your bet may buy you a free turn card if the turn card doesn't help you. In addition, I think some players would fold an AQ here and more will fold an AJ (which you forgot to mention). So, I believe a flop bet is correct.

If you had raised first in with the same hand, only the big blind called, and the same flop came, then this might be a good time for a check back range. Do you see why?

Mason
10-13-2021 , 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw AJo 20/40
If I checked behind and he led the turn, would we still go for the fold? I assume yes.
One of the reasons to check behind is that if an ace, king, queen, or jack hits you would have a bet.

But in this example, your opponent bet when the king hit instead of letting you bet. I think the answer here is that you need to consider a lot of things:

1. This looks like a card that you would often bet. So why did your opponent bet into you?

2. Did your flop check now induce your opponent to bluff? A small percentage of players can't help themselves when you make a flop check like this.

3. How aggressive is your opponent anyway?

I think if the answers to these questions are positive in your favor, you don't fold (and may even raise).

Mason
10-13-2021 , 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth AJo 20/40
It would have to be an extremely tight raiser for you to correctly fold the AJ. And it you don't fold, then you should three bet.

Mason
The turn? We have no pair no draw and may be dead to 3 outs.
10-26-2021 , 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingershuffle AJo 20/40
The turn? We have no pair no draw and may be dead to 3 outs.
He means preflop. His post also is a little off because he misread the flop action. It was headsup and went check, bet, call. He read it as you checking the flop, which is wrong because you were in position based on the preflop action.

This seems like a grumbling fold because he really has to have JTs or QJs in order to have raised preflop, airballed this (in terms of SD value), and led the turn and have your AJ still be ahead.
10-30-2021 , 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingershuffle AJo 20/40
I think you need to have some sort of check back range.
IP 3b pot? Don't we want to be building a pot ip with our range uncapped range advantage in most circumstances? ... If we check does this "cap" us? And is that necessarily a good thing given pf action?
11-24-2021 , 11:45 PM
NH so far, now fold turn. You don’t get to win every hand.
11-26-2021 , 04:13 AM
Thanks for the responses I

Spoiler:
Öfolded turn.
Yesterday , 10:29 PM
I'm rarely folding this one on the turn fwiw

      
m