Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Science, Math, and Philosophy Discussions regarding science, math, and/or philosophy.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #76
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 29,048
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
I never made the claim that people don't have the concept of twoness in their minds. You must have inferred that along the way. Logical consistency is important but not as important as actually working out the concepts. You ignored everything about the thing-in-itself. Is it because you don't have an answer to that?
I don't think I need to argue that specific point. I'm criticizing your argument, not presenting a positive one of my own.

Quote:
"It's not clear how using math has been to our evolutionary advantage." Come on. Really?
Yes, really. In particular, from your point of view, numbers could be a mere side effect of the development of our perceptive capacity. That is, our sense of numbers isn't actually something that is driving evolutionary benefit, but is rather something that evolved alongside something else that was *actually* the evolutionary benefit.

As I said, you have a lot more work to do. And I'll poke you again for the outright nonsense of your DNA argument as an example of you not realizing just how poor your argumentation is.

Quote:
I never set out to prove math does not exist.
Correct. You tried to set up an argument that math doesn't exist if the universe is one substance (which then morphed into an if and only if statement). I'm showing you how this argument fails. I've even given you an argument structure that's better, and you haven't yet even started to consider it.

I'm starting to think that you really are setting out to prove math does not exist because you can't seem to focus on the argument that you've projected yourself to be making.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #77
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 18,532
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Math describes what numbers can do. I suppose one can argue that a description of a real thing is not the real thing, but only a description. But thatís like arguing words are not words in a dictionary because a dictionary only contains descriptions of words.

Descriptions are real, but arenít the real thing they describe does seem true....

So is a description of what descriptions do, a real description?
spanktehbadwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #78
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 29,048
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
Ignorance is always the starting point... knowledge of ignorance...
The way this is going, it appears ignorance is also your destination. So be it.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #79
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 29,048
Re: The unreality of mathematics

If anyone wants to read about Kant's view of mathematics:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-mathematics/
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 AM   #80
masque de Z
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
masque de Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stanford, CA USA
Posts: 9,377
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
If anyone wants to read about Kant's view of mathematics:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-mathematics/


Also

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1426

One day soon the reframing of physics that will explain QM and geometry will rebuilt Philosophy too.

I will try to read Kant moreover the immense difficulty i have when reading philosophy given the instant objection based on present day science and math that reveals conflicts hard to relax and ignore while reading the rest. As a result it takes tremendous effort to constrain this frequent objection and observe the thinker in their own time enjoying their brilliance while silencing momentarily revolting thoughts regarding their logic's foundation and arguments. It is very tough indeed to play this game.
masque de Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 AM   #81
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 17,264
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque de Z View Post
One day soon the reframing of physics that will explain QM and geometry will rebuilt Philosophy too.
I reckon Einstein will feel as old then like Newton today.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #82
VeeDDzz`
Pooh-Bah
 
VeeDDzz`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,220
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
If relations between objects exist in spacetime, which is a function of our intuition, then they might exist, they might not.
Whether relations exist or not is not a trivial question. It cuts at the belly of the edifice of thought that you've presented.

You brush it off in barely a paragraph. As if its a footnote to your train of thought.

Bertrand Russell struggled with this idea for many years. He refused to indulge Platonism for a long time. His student Wittgenstein, and a few others weren't so reluctant. Russell eventually couldn't get around it. Relations, like numbers, like adjectives, like many other "abstractions", are mind-independent.

In fact, this debate dates back many years before Spinoza. You can trace it back to the problem of adjectives. Plato and Aristotle, of course. In short, adjectives brake the laws of physics. Blue, as a colour for example, exists in multiple places at the same time (sky, ocean, blueberries, etc.). Physically, it is impossible for any one thing to exist simultaneously in multiple places. Yet this is what we observe. This is problem.

As a side-note, where do adjectives belong in your very narrow ontology?

Last edited by VeeDDzz`; 12-08-2018 at 06:16 AM.
VeeDDzz` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #83
VeeDDzz`
Pooh-Bah
 
VeeDDzz`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,220
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Interestingly enough though.

The title of this thread is oddly fitting.

Mathematics, neither subjective, nor objective. Present, yet unreal.

P.s. this may confuse some people. The argument I've presented implies that I believe mathematics to be objective. No.

Just because it is mind-independent, does not automatically mean it is objective. It is not. It does not exist "objectively" in the world, in the sense that a tree or rock does. It is neither subjective, nor objective.

It is eternal.
VeeDDzz` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #84
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 17,264
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Not bad VeeD. 37 is eternal. Red is eternal (or the nanometers it represents). If the natural laws are eternal.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #85
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 18,532
Re: The unreality of mathematics

That other thread about imprecision in math is contrast.

When you build a bridge, math can describe the bridge before you build so it ends up built to hold itís lifetime weight. Math describes the bridge and the weight it can hold in relationships.

Is math the bridge? Is it more than bridge since it also described weight it can hold while that weight may not even have been born yet?

And do you want math to describe the weight a potential bridge can hold imprecisely?

I find math boring, no offense, but I like it. Itís real enough that by using it we learned to describe bridges very accurately before we use them.
spanktehbadwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #86
robert_utk
Pooh-Bah
 
robert_utk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ValueTown
Posts: 3,724
Re: The unreality of mathematics

The bridge exists. The math we use to design or describe it is just a model.

The math the universe uses to keep it standing is reality.
robert_utk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #87
NewOldGuy
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In the wires
Posts: 5,370
Re: The unreality of mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_utk View Post
The math the universe uses to keep it standing is reality.
Perfect.
NewOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online