Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Science, Math, and Philosophy Discussions regarding science, math, and/or philosophy.

View Poll Results: How would you want to go if the world had to end?
Zombie apocalypse 20 18.02%
Meteor collides into the earth 30 27.03%
Alien invasion 58 52.25%
Nuclear disaster, either from war or accident 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #76
ProphetofProfit
adept
 
ProphetofProfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 698
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

My question.

Is Paul Lafolley a genius or a madman or both?

http://www.miqel.com/visionary_art/p...ley_intro.html

Does his work make sense to anyone? I read that a CAT scan discovered a 3/8" metallic object lodge in his occipital lobe, straight from the horses mouth.
ProphetofProfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #77
cixelsyD
journeyman
 
cixelsyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 219
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

I was reading about Wittgenstein, the summary book talked about him being Christian. Did he ever explain why this is? I know this is more RGT but ill get better answers here.
cixelsyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #78
Zeno
Le Misanthrope
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spitsbergen
Posts: 19,284
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyD View Post
I was reading about Wittgenstein, the summary book talked about him being Christian. Did he ever explain why this is? I know this is more RGT but ill get better answers here.
Not a reason to post it here in SMP, even in the Fringe Topics Thread. If you wish general information on the philosophy of Wittgenstein then start a thread on it.

If you wish to know something about specific religious beliefs, or religious beliefs and justifications of it for individuals, then post in RGT. The basic principle is that forums must have some fundamental focus to function in an orderly manner.

-Zeno
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #79
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

this thread hasn't done much to convince me that humans have landed on the moon.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #80
martin9_90
Pooh-Bah
 
martin9_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradford
Posts: 5,586
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

u reckon is there a god or no? need answer pretty quick
martin9_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #81
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

no
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #82
DDNK
veteran
 
DDNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ~Vietnam
Posts: 2,591
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

It's within the realm of possibility at least.
DDNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #83
DDNK
veteran
 
DDNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ~Vietnam
Posts: 2,591
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Hard to flame away when you've not even given an account. And a UFO story from an unknown, anonymous source is about as interesting to me as watching other people play Monopoly, no offense, so good luck with that.
DDNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #84
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey5303 View Post
Flame me all you want, but I have seen a UFO.

P.S. I am not insane. After seeing one myself, I find it hard that someone who says they don't exist can simply dismiss thousands upon thousands of eye witnesses.
I have no doubt that if you say you have seen a UFO, you have.

Last edited by atakdog; 04-15-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: So, what does "UFO" stand for again?
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #85
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey5303 View Post
Flame me all you want, but I have seen a UFO.

P.S. I am not insane. After seeing one myself, I find it hard that someone who says they don't exist can simply dismiss thousands upon thousands of eye witnesses.

Not saying I know that there was an alien inside, or whether or not it was built by the government, but I saw one. One that looked like it was straight from the movies.

Flame away.

Any questions are also welcome.
where were you? what time of day? what did it look like? what range was it at? was it moving? how fast? lights?



to answer the ? "what is a ufo" any object that you cannot readily identify is a UFO. if you look at the sky and see an airplane, you can identify it as a plane. if i create a weird device and launch it into the sky and then you see it and cannot identify it, its a UFO.

i love aliens but i know enough to not just assume that ufo = aliens.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #86
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 19,096
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
this thread hasn't done much to convince me that humans have landed on the moon.
Was waiting for this. Let´s start *




*again
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #87
Ryanb9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ryanb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NEVA!
Posts: 7,252
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

I decided to check this tread out and all i have to say is tl;dr.
Ryanb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #88
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaaynde View Post
Was waiting for this. Let´s start *




*again
i cannot get over the timeline that everyone so blindly believes. let me recap:

1961: USA's space exploration totals 15 manned minutes in low earth orbit

1961-1968: NASA scientists work diligently to create, from scratch, the most sophisticated technology ever dreamt by man (spacesuits, Saturn V rocket, lunar orbiter, etc)

1969-1972: USA sends 7 manned missions to the moon (6 land on the moon and return safely while one of them becomes a Tom Hanks movie)

These missions manage to successfully leave Earths atmosphere, zip 200k+ miles to the moon's orbit, deploy a Lunar Module to safely land 69 miles below on the surface of the moon and then the Module is able to blast off the surface of the moon days later and reconnect with the Command Module which was orbiting the moon at around 4,000 mph.

We are to believe that they nailed this mission 6 times in 7 attempts (in outer space mind you) where as it took thousands of trials and errors on Earth to even get into Earth's orbit.

This all really sits well in your mind? w/ 60s technology? developed in < 8 years? in the 60s?!

EIGHT YEARS. not bad considering it took Stars 3 years to implement "auto add-on". In 5 more years maybe Stars will have moon landing software ;-)

Consider this peculiar fact: in order to reach the surface of the Moon from the surface of the Earth, the Apollo astronauts would have had to travel a minimum of 234,000 miles*. Since the last Apollo flight allegedly returned from the Moon in 1972, the furthest that any astronaut from any country has traveled from the surface of the Earth is about 400 miles. And very few have even gone that far. The primary components of the current U.S. space program – the space shuttles, the space station, and the Hubble Telescope – operate at an orbiting altitude of about 200 miles.

(*NASA gives the distance from the center of Earth to the center of the Moon as 239,000 miles. Since the Earth has a radius of about 4,000 miles and the Moon’s radius is roughly 1,000 miles, that leaves a surface-to-surface distance of 234,000 miles. The total distance traveled during the alleged missions, including Earth and Moon orbits, ranged from 622,268 miles for Apollo 13 to 1,484,934 miles for Apollo 17. All on a single tank of gas.)

good read: http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/Apollo1.html
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #89
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 19,096
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
EIGHT YEARS. not bad considering it took Stars 3 years to implement "auto add-on". In 5 more years maybe Stars will have moon landing software ;-)
This really got me to think if Kennedy´s dream ever was fulfilled.

plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #90
Akileos
old hand
 
Akileos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,337
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

The mythbusters episodes on the moon landing hoax were an extended riposte to this argument.

And destroys your weak pro hoax points.
Akileos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #91
Benholio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Benholio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,292
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
i cannot get over the timeline that everyone so blindly believes. let me recap:

1961: USA's space exploration totals 15 manned minutes in low earth orbit

1961-1968: NASA scientists work diligently to create, from scratch, the most sophisticated technology ever dreamt by man (spacesuits, Saturn V rocket, lunar orbiter, etc)
From scratch? All branches of the US military were developing long range missiles in the early 1950's. Development of the Saturn rockets started before NASA was formed.

The first full-pressure suit was used as early as 1931. A hard-shell suit that was the predecessor to the suits used by NASA was developed in the early 1950's and was being used in vacuum chambers.

Quote:
This all really sits well in your mind? w/ 60s technology? developed in < 8 years? in the 60s?!

EIGHT YEARS. not bad considering it took Stars 3 years to implement "auto add-on". In 5 more years maybe Stars will have moon landing software ;-)
The technology involved in this was developed over a much longer period than 8 years and by multiple private, government and international agencies.

Quote:
Consider this peculiar fact: in order to reach the surface of the Moon from the surface of the Earth, the Apollo astronauts would have had to travel a minimum of 234,000 miles*. Since the last Apollo flight allegedly returned from the Moon in 1972, the furthest that any astronaut from any country has traveled from the surface of the Earth is about 400 miles. And very few have even gone that far. The primary components of the current U.S. space program – the space shuttles, the space station, and the Hubble Telescope – operate at an orbiting altitude of about 200 miles.
Well sure, why would we send these things further away than an earth orbit?

If you just want to throw numbers out there for shock value, we sent the Mars rovers out at least 34,000,000 miles (distance to mars in 2003, which was a relative minimum).
Benholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #92
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 9,632
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
We are to believe that they nailed this mission 6 times in 7 attempts (in outer space mind you) where as it took thousands of trials and errors on Earth to even get into Earth's orbit.

This all really sits well in your mind? w/ 60s technology? developed in < 8 years? in the 60s?!

EIGHT YEARS. not bad considering it took Stars 3 years to implement "auto add-on". In 5 more years maybe Stars will have moon landing software ;-)

Consider this peculiar fact: in order to reach the surface of the Moon from the surface of the Earth, the Apollo astronauts would have had to travel a minimum of 234,000 miles*. Since the last Apollo flight allegedly returned from the Moon in 1972, the furthest that any astronaut from any country has traveled from the surface of the Earth is about 400 miles. And very few have even gone that far. The primary components of the current U.S. space program – the space shuttles, the space station, and the Hubble Telescope – operate at an orbiting altitude of about 200 miles.
OMG, guiz, so like they say we developed nucular bombs in the 40s! And we used 2 bombs in the span of 3 days, but since then, we've used 0!!!!11!!

I bet Hiroshima and Nagasaki were faked.
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #93
always_sunni_
old hand
 
always_sunni_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: old school online player
Posts: 1,262
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

My question is,

What is the first thing that you would do if all man-made objects disappeared this instant? (Lemme know if you need further clarification....)
always_sunni_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #94
vhawk01
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vhawk01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GHoFFANMWYD
Posts: 31,866
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

It took us 100,000 years to harness electricity and you expect me to believe we got instant access to midget porn in less than 100? GMAFB
vhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #95
Subfallen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Subfallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: farther back
Posts: 7,243
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_sunni_ View Post
My question is,

What is the first thing that you would do if all man-made objects disappeared this instant?
Start expecting the Spanish Inquisition, probably.
Subfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #96
Subfallen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Subfallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: farther back
Posts: 7,243
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Also I had a conversation with the janitor in my building today, and he was saying how we are going to colonize Mars and it won't be hard to find people to move there permanently...and I replied, "Maybe, but Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids / In fact, it's cold as hell."

He stared at me.
Subfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #97
atakdog
addicted
 
atakdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vṛkṣāsana
Posts: 50,136
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfallen View Post
Also I had a conversation with the janitor in my building today, and he was saying how we are going to colonize Mars and it won't be hard to find people to move there permanently...and I replied, "Maybe, but Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids / In fact, it's cold as hell."

He stared at me.
You're totally missing the point: there's no one there to raise them — that's the problem. And there won't be if we don't start working on the problem now. I say we could get a manned space program going in just forty or fifty years — maybe go for the moon first, though. That should be challenge enough.
atakdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #98
ChrisV
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 40,378
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakdog View Post
I agree that discussion of cold fusion and discussion of whether the moon landing was a hoax seem qualitatively different. The latter belongs in a thread about zombies and crop circles, but the former can at least be discussed, more than trivially, in a scientific way.
I agree with this. In fact I think the acid test ought to be whether a paper discussing the subject has been published in a peer-reviewed journal in the last five years. This would allow discussion on some subjects which are considered nonsense by the mainstream community but which are or have been the subject of actual research. For instance cold fusion and homeopathy. That's fine because then there is actual evidence to discuss. However it would still allow clear pseudoscience (phrenology, perpetual motion machines, the healing power of crystals, assorted conspiracy theories such as the moon landing) to be confined to this thread as planned.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #99
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 19,096
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholio View Post
If you just want to throw numbers out there for shock value, we sent the Mars rovers out at least 34,000,000 miles (distance to mars in 2003, which was a relative minimum).
Donniccolo? Did we send these out... or...?
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 AM   #100
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rebel of Eden
Posts: 19,096
Re: Official Fringe Topics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_sunni_ View Post
My question is,

What is the first thing that you would do if all man-made objects disappeared this instant? (Lemme know if you need further clarification....)
I would think: HOW ** did this happen?

(If I still existed, in a way I´m a man made "object" too )

First I would try to check on my sanity. I would try to check out what consecuences this has. Are my loved ones still around? What is the weather, primarily: how cold is it? Where to get shelter? Can we survive on the short or middle long term and what to do to increase the chances? Finding drinking water is a big issue. Can we co-operate with the other people around? A former city would be incredibly crouded. All people inside houses would have fallen down to the ground from where they were, when their man-made houses diappeared. Now it is getting really nasty...

No clothes. It´s beginning to look like people primarily in the tropics have a decent chance.

Last edited by plaaynde; 04-18-2010 at 02:59 AM.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online