Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016-17 Europa League?
Manchester United 8 24.24%
Inter 1 3.03%
Athletic Bilbao 2 6.06%
Fiorentina 0 0%
Southampton 1 3.03%
Schalke 04 1 3.03%
Zenit 0 0%
West Ham 3 9.09%
other / non-Sevilla-CL-dropout 5 15.15%
Sevilla 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #951
BOIDS
veteran
 
BOIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,928
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Hero View Post
a) those numbers aren't right
oh are they

then do tell us what the real numbers are

the internet is telling me he won 2 vs pep in 11 attempts and 1 vs tito, but maybe google is a huge conspiracy designed to play down the magnificent achievements of the special one
BOIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #952
rainbowsinthesky
Pooh-Bah
 
rainbowsinthesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 12
Posts: 3,587
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

That comparison is stupid and I don't even like Mourinho anymore. Pep was having a team made from a once in a lifetime generation of players, hanging around together since they were like 12 years old. Mourinho came to RM in a period of transition, had to clean up the squad and make good transfers, making us competitive again in the era of the best Barcelona in history. We weren't winning the league for 3 years and not making the SF of the CL in 8 before he came to RM. His first 2 years were very good, but that's the maximum he could have done in such a short amount of time.
rainbowsinthesky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #953
Fallen Hero
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fallen Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIDS View Post
oh are they

then do tell us what the real numbers are

the internet is telling me he won 2 vs pep in 11 attempts and 1 vs tito, but maybe google is a huge conspiracy designed to play down the magnificent achievements of the special one
Quote:
Overall:
Games played under Mou : 17
Games won : 5
Games drawn : 6
Games lost : 6

4-3-2 in the last 9 games
being a condescending jackass on stuff you don't actually know does not make you look smart
Fallen Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #954
kingweed
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pass it to the keeper!
Posts: 41,421
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsinthesky View Post
That comparison is stupid and I don't even like Mourinho anymore. Pep was having a team made from a once in a lifetime generation of players, hanging around together since they were like 12 years old. Mourinho came to RM in a period of transition, had to clean up the squad and make good transfers, making us competitive again in the era of the best Barcelona in history. We weren't winning the league for 3 years and not making the SF of the CL in 8 before he came to RM. His first 2 years were very good, but that's the maximum he could have done in such a short amount of time.
wow rits, didn't think you had it in you!

agree with what youre saying, if he went toe to toe with Barca - well he did - and got smashed 5-0. Changed it up, beat them in a cup final then won the league the following year.

Had he went to play attacking football against them in the semi against Barca with Inter he wouldn't have won the CL with them.

His football and philosophy if you will is pretty boring but it's very effect and get results.

He then falls out with everyone and moves on
kingweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #955
BOIDS
veteran
 
BOIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,928
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

alright his record was a little different. idk what my search was missing out, possibly spanish charity shield matches or something.

anyway you've missed the point, which wasn't about the magnitude of his losing record vs barca but rather the manner in which his teams set up, have always set up, and probably will always set up when facing teams of comparable strength, and that is to foul and frustrate and blame the refs and the ball boys and whatever else. its perfectly possible to win like that, especially when you have the biggest checkbook in world football, but its absolutely dull football, the reason myself and mc1 can't sit through 90 mins of mun any longer, and likely a factor which contributed to his multiple sackings
BOIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #956
Fallen Hero
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fallen Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIDS View Post
alright his record was a little different. idk what my search was missing out, possibly spanish charity shield matches or something.

anyway you've missed the point, which wasn't about the magnitude of his losing record vs barca but rather the manner in which his teams set up, have always set up, and probably will always set up when facing teams of comparable strength, and that is to foul and frustrate and blame the refs and the ball boys and whatever else. its perfectly possible to win like that, especially when you have the biggest checkbook in world football, but its absolutely dull football to watch
there are some reasonable things you can criticize Mourinho for, spending a lot of money is certainly not one of them, specially after he won 2 CL + UC with Porto and Inter. He coached Real Madrid and Chelsea, both had a lot of money to spend, both are pretty happy with the return they got on it. As Arsenal fans should know, they don't give out trophies for net spend.
Fallen Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #957
kingweed
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pass it to the keeper!
Posts: 41,421
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Baids, if Jose was England manager and he got to the final of the world cup - bare with me - would you rather he set up to give England the best possible chance to win a one of game. Or go all out attack against Spain/Brazil/Germany or whoever and play into their hands and get smashed 3 or 4-0?
kingweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #958
BOIDS
veteran
 
BOIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,928
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

course i can criticise him for it. when mun turn up at anfield next season and park the bus and try to nick a 1-0 win i am going to think 'christ £400m spent over two summers for THAT', and so is everyone else

and btw its time to stop dining out on the 2 CLs over a 15 odd year career, zidane is probably about to equal him and he only started managing about 3 months ago iirc
BOIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #959
BOIDS
veteran
 
BOIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,928
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingweed View Post
Baids, if Jose was England manager and he got to the final of the world cup - bare with me - would you rather he set up to give England the best possible chance to win a one of game. Or go all out attack against Spain/Brazil/Germany or whoever and play into their hands and get smashed 3 or 4-0?
i'd rather he set up to maximise our chances

however

if the england manager was given £150m to spend every summer and could buy the best players in the world and we turned up bus parking it in the final i'd be pretty ****ed off
BOIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #960
Fallen Hero
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fallen Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIDS View Post
course i can criticise him for it. when mun turn up at anfield and park the bus and try to nick a 1-0 win i am going to think 'christ £400m spent over two summers for THAT', and so is everyone else

and btw its time to stop dining out on the 2 CLs over a 15 odd year career, zidane is probably about to equal him and he only started managing about 3 months ago iirc
I'm sure if you ask mourinho himself whether he thinks the team played well this season, or as well as it should be considering the investment, he'll tell you no. But they were playing poorly and he believed that was the best way to get a result in an important match, I'd rather see him do that than Pep's "I'd rather lose playing my way" bs.
Fallen Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #961
kingweed
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pass it to the keeper!
Posts: 41,421
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Hero View Post
I'm sure if you ask mourinho himself whether he thinks the team played well this season, or as well as it should be considering the investment, he'll tell you no. But they were playing poorly and he believed that was the best way to get a result in an important match, I'd rather see him do that than Pep's "I'd rather lose playing my way" bs.
Pretty much. Also I don't think we have been playing that poorly we've really struggled to score goals in games we've have dominated and ran into keepers having the games of their lives. A few of those games turn in to wins which would have been deservedly so wins. We'd likely have gotten top 4 and there wouldn't have been so much on the line in this game. The pressure to win it was immense.
kingweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #962
Ambush
Pooh-Bah
 
Ambush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 5,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingweed View Post
Baids, if Jose was England manager and he got to the final of the world cup - bare with me - would you rather he set up to give England the best possible chance to win a one of game. Or go all out attack against Spain/Brazil/Germany or whoever and play into their hands and get smashed 3 or 4-0?
I don't agree with this dichotomy, there's still a lot between all out attack/aesthetics and Mourinho. And as for the comparison, if I go along with your analogy, he wouldn't just not do that against Spain/Brazil/Germany but also ~Trinidad & Tobago.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #963
kingweed
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pass it to the keeper!
Posts: 41,421
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
I don't agree with this dichotomy, there's still a lot between all out attack/aesthetics and Mourinho. And as for the comparison, if I go along with your analogy, he wouldn't just not do that against Spain/Brazil/Germany but also ~Trinidad & Tobago.
>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIDS View Post
look here's the thing, when mourinho's team is 5x better than the oppo he'll send them out to deliver a beating

Last edited by kingweed; 05-28-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: although, England may not actually be better than T&T
kingweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #964
Fallen Hero
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fallen Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingweed View Post
Pretty much. Also I don't think we have been playing that poorly we've really struggled to score goals in games we've have dominated and ran into keepers having the games of their lives. A few of those games turn in to wins which would have been deservedly so wins. We'd likely have gotten top 4 and there wouldn't have been so much on the line in this game. The pressure to win it was immense.
yeah, a little better variance would have secured top 4 and it's the first year of trying to turn around a pretty terrible situation, but I'm sure he was hoping for more, giving up those leads that cost a lot of points was very anti-Mourinho
Fallen Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #965
Ambush
Pooh-Bah
 
Ambush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 5,732
Re: UEFA Europa League 2016-17 feat. Mouchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingweed View Post
>
eh, Ajax? I mean, maybe United isn't 5x better. But they should be.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online