Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #51
g-bebe
because robots are strong
 
g-bebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JOSEPH VINCENT FLACCO
Posts: 18,710
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

heh, that's like the only one I haven't listened to in the last month. Just his weekly football ones after the Sunday games have been weak, and this one was especially bad because it was like 95% Patriots and then just briefly touch on the other teams.

of all his guests I think Mike Lombardi is the best, at least most knowledgable and makes me look back at some of the plays a lot differently. Cousin Sal is kind of funny but mostly just a talking head and him and Bill parrot each other.
g-bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #52
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,867
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-bebe View Post
heh, that's like the only one I haven't listened to in the last month. Just his weekly football ones after the Sunday games have been weak, and this one was especially bad because it was like 95% Patriots and then just briefly touch on the other teams.

of all his guests I think Mike Lombardi is the best, at least most knowledgable and makes me look back at some of the plays a lot differently. Cousin Sal is kind of funny but mostly just a talking head and him and Bill parrot each other.
Really? You like Lombardi? He seems like such a yes man to me. He seems to think everyone is good on every team. It always annoys me. And he tries to make really awful basketball analogies all the time. I have a feeling I'm alone though because the guy sure does seem popular.

He had this gem in the one from today "Because if GB had Marshawn Lynch they would be a lock to go to the super bowl".
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #53
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 57,071
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

ya lombardi is a complete blowhard. its no surprise he was an awful gm.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #54
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,867
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
just searched 'millman' and ended up here. god this guy is a complete idiot. i just tried to describe him to someone and said 'he's basically a vegas railbird'. seems about right.
Perfect description. He seems like one of those guys who thinks everyone he talks to is a professional sports betting zillionaire. He keeps throwing these random guys names into podcasts and thinks they are experts just because they are walking around sportsbooks all the time.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #55
AC-Cobra
Pooh-Bah
 
AC-Cobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Giving a **** when it's not my turn
Posts: 5,207
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

I thought the Ted Leonis one was pretty great, as have been all the recent NBA ones.

Millman is awful. I did like Lombardi but agree that his analysis is a bit wishy washy. The blue chipper thing he had going was pretty awful.
AC-Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #56
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,867
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Cobra View Post
I thought the Ted Leonis one was pretty great, as have been all the recent NBA ones.

Millman is awful. I did like Lombardi but agree that his analysis is a bit wishy washy. The blue chipper thing he had going was pretty awful.
It may sound really dumb, but my favorite guests of his are his friends.

I think House and JackO are both very entertaining just about everytime they are on.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #57
AC-Cobra
Pooh-Bah
 
AC-Cobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Giving a **** when it's not my turn
Posts: 5,207
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
It may sound really dumb, but my favorite guests of his are his friends.

I think House and JackO are both very entertaining just about everytime they are on.
I wouldn't say thats dumb. House is awesome and I like JackO even though I dont like baseball. Sal is always enjoyable.

The out of the blue one off guests (Leonis, Al Michaels, Steve Kerr etc.) are also much better than the recurring commentators he has on (Lombardi, Schatz etc.).

Klosterman is probably my favourite, although his podcast appearances for some reason make me fearful that one day the Gladwell email sessions are going to make it into podcast form.
AC-Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #58
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 18,734
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

I think the podcast is at it's best when it's the most casual. Some of the best (and sometimes worst) ones are w/Jacoby of the "regular" guests. Wish we could get Klosterman soon again soon.
aoFrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #59
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,867
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Cobra View Post
I wouldn't say thats dumb. House is awesome and I like JackO even though I dont like baseball. Sal is always enjoyable.

The out of the blue one off guests (Leonis, Al Michaels, Steve Kerr etc.) are also much better than the recurring commentators he has on (Lombardi, Schatz etc.).

Klosterman is probably my favourite, although his podcast appearances for some reason make me fearful that one day the Gladwell email sessions are going to make it into podcast form.
I just mean it's dumb because they really have no professional information at all to give out. It seems so amateurish that they are even on there.

I also <3 Klosterman.

Thinking about it, I think I just enjoy the podcasts when it seems like they are just dudes talking on the phone. Guys like Schatz, Lombardi, Millman all just seem like he called them for a podcast. Where as Klosterman, JackO, House, the NBA podcasts(Stein, etc) seem like they could legitimately be having this conversation regardless of whether it is recorded or not.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #60
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 52,331
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
I just mean it's dumb because they really have no professional information at all to give out. It seems so amateurish that they are even on there.
This is the essence of Bill Simmons schtick. He's the regular fan just like you and me, only with a quicker recall of 80s and 90s pop culture, his buddies fit perfectly into that niche.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #61
loosekanen
USA#1, Oh Yeah!
 
loosekanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Within 30 Feet of a Dogfish IPA
Posts: 24,960
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

House/JackO/Gus/Jacoby are his best recurring guests. As far as serious sports discussion goes though, other than the NBA, which I'll admit he is probably the most knowledgeable of the MSM (I know, lolMSM) the analysis just isn't that good.

Fellow journalists are usually good too. I'm especially thinking of Buzz Bissinger. Sepinwall is good too.

It's a good forum for personalities though. When he has talented, compelling people on (Klosterman, Ace) the show can get good. But I still listen to every episode. The drone is great.

Also, as a struggling sports bettor I love the Sal podcasts simply because they're always talking about getting killed on the same **** I got killed on. It helps to know I'm not alone.
loosekanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #62
Caldarooni
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Caldarooni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 25,000
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
just searched 'millman' and ended up here. god this guy is a complete idiot. i just tried to describe him to someone and said 'he's basically a vegas railbird'. seems about right.
The amount of ******** this guys spews is simply amazing. Every ****ing week.
Caldarooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #63
MacGuyV
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MacGuyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22,234
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Lol Millman. "I had some sharps emailing me Sunday morning who jumped on Seattle vs. NO" (didn't say anything on last week's podcast though). Cool story bro - might as well post in the betting forum that you loved the Jets ML last week.
I like Gus and House - something about JackO's voice makes me want to punch him in the face.
MacGuyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #64
JayTeeMe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JayTeeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The night shift
Posts: 24,883
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Less podcasts, more writing. His views aren't really that enlightened or interesting. He's not nearly as funny when speaking. I don't like spending 30 minutes to hear what he thinks.

His main appeal is that he's a good writer
JayTeeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #65
Bad Beat Bill
veteran
 
Bad Beat Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,987
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

He is, some of the time. His take on Belichick's 4th-and-2 from last year was so astoundingly dumb that it made me seriously question why I even liked the guy in the first place.
Bad Beat Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #66
Chilltown
banned
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Steppe
Posts: 39,084
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

If he says if gambling were legal ONE MORE TIME
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #67
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTeeMe View Post
Less podcasts, more writing. His views aren't really that enlightened or interesting. He's not nearly as funny when speaking. I don't like spending 30 minutes to hear what he thinks.

His main appeal is that he's a good writer
Wow I disagree completely. He is a terrible writer, especially when he needs to write a longform column and not just mailbags/picks where he can write 100-200 word blurbs. The podcasts are good because he has good guests and is much better than the Colin Cowherds of the world who put on a shtick to be "controversial"
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #68
Yeti
Abominable
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,566
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

my favourite millman bit from this week, paraphrasing :

bill : so yeah, i noticed how even though green bay are the overall favourites, the superbowl line is AFC -1

millman (excitedly) : i know!! isn't that amazing???

bill : why is that?

millman : i have no idea!!!

bill : well my theory is... (explains the reason which anyone with an IQ greater than 90 can work out)

millman : yeah, that's what i was thinking!!!



also as someone stated above, it's totally hilarious when he lists stuff like 'yeah man bobbo at bobbo.com did awesome this week, he was all over the jets moneyline and the steelers', as if we're supposed to be gobsmacked that some random dude in vegas hit a 1/7 shot.
Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #69
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Simmons' columns are a complete afterthought for me at
this point but his podcasts are still one of my more enjoyable time kills.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #70
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 57,071
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

i cant stand his semi lispy socialite voice.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #71
SnotBoogy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SnotBoogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: trying to make fetch happen
Posts: 7,694
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

millman and simmons sound like the exact same person on podcast, their voices are like identical
SnotBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #72
g-bebe
because robots are strong
 
g-bebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JOSEPH VINCENT FLACCO
Posts: 18,710
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
my favourite millman bit from this week, paraphrasing :

bill : so yeah, i noticed how even though green bay are the overall favourites, the superbowl line is AFC -1

millman (excitedly) : i know!! isn't that amazing???

bill : why is that?

millman : i have no idea!!!

bill : well my theory is... (explains the reason which anyone with an IQ greater than 90 can work out)

millman : yeah, that's what i was thinking!!!



also as someone stated above, it's totally hilarious when he lists stuff like 'yeah man bobbo at bobbo.com did awesome this week, he was all over the jets moneyline and the steelers', as if we're supposed to be gobsmacked that some random dude in vegas hit a 1/7 shot.
yeah, this really was an awful exchange
g-bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #73
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 52,331
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

I've never listened to a Millman podcast, I fell like I'm missing out
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #74
SnotBoogy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SnotBoogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: trying to make fetch happen
Posts: 7,694
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

I feel like hanging out with Millman and Simmons in Vegas for an entire weekend would be MUCH more boring than it sounds

Not even close to going with, say, Barkley and Viffer
SnotBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #75
Francis_MH
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Francis_MH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: William, William, a prayer almost..
Posts: 9,945
Re: Bill Simmons/Sports Guy Containment Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogy View Post
I feel like hanging out with Millman and Simmons in Vegas for an entire weekend would be MUCH more boring than it sounds
Millman might get you some contacts with wiseguys tho.
Francis_MH is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online