Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #24151
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Northwestern isn't that great

good location on lake

train to city fun is longer than you'd think
Evanston not a college town -- really restrictive liquor licenses

Has the potential, but isn't quite hitting it.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #24152
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,170
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22 View Post
Never understood the cold weather spandex thing, i would think sweatpants would be much warmer
You can always tell the athletes from the non-athletes by sweatpants on campus(talking about girls). Athlete chicks were basically always sweats/mesh shorts.
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #24153
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

mmmmm... ASU... visiting there so much fun.

Four Peaks Brewery last trip --- FTMFW
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #24154
Mittens
Pooh-Bah
 
Mittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brodeur Jersey Still Fits
Posts: 4,711
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
Northwestern isn't that great

good location on lake

train to city fun is longer than you'd think
Evanston not a college town -- really restrictive liquor licenses

Has the potential, but isn't quite hitting it.
Nah, but if you have a chance to go to Northwestern you probably should despite the weather because it opens a lot of doors. That's the point. It's worth being cold and stuff during college if you're getting a great degree, but if my son is going to U of M, I'm going to tell him to just downgrade a bit and go to Pepperdine or something. If he's going to Northwestern, I'm going to make fun of him for the purple uniforms and let him go.
Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #24155
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
Have you actually been to USC's campus? Or just Los Angeles? USC's campus is garbage, and you have to value weather an insane amount to prefer it over Ann Arbor and South Bend.
weather plays an important part sure. Also, we were talking about the locations of colleges not just the campus boundaries. I spent time on USC's campus and it was fine. It didnt blow Michigan out of the water or anything but LA did blow Ann Arbor out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Also lol at Durham, now there is a ****hole.
tons of good restaurants and less than 15 min from Chapel Hill for hotter girls and different bar scene. Add in the Duke bars in Durham, proximity to Raleigh, and weather, and its solid. Far better than Ann Arbor.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #24156
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
It's significantly different from at least a few of the cities listed
avg snowfall - 58.4 inches
avg snowy days - 53.2

Bloomington, IN
avg snowfall - 15.5 inches
avg snowy days - don't even track

I've spent the majority of my life in Chicagoland. My wife is from way south Illinois, Rend Lake area. The difference in the weather from one to the other is huge.

almost every town has what you mention. The weather is not something that changes as easily.
USC is a short drive from so much stuff. Sure, next to watts, but it's not hard to get to the beaches or Hollywood Hills, or whatever.

Ann Arbor is nice for hunters and white militias.
shocker, mt2r saying something stupid about michigan.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #24157
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
Nah, but if you have a chance to go to Northwestern you probably should despite the weather because it opens a lot of doors. That's the point. It's worth being cold and stuff during college if you're getting a great degree, but if my son is going to U of M, I'm going to tell him to just downgrade a bit and go to Pepperdine or something. If he's going to Northwestern, I'm going to make fun of him for the purple uniforms and let him go.
Agree with this, but if youre going to Northwestern I think a better option would be to get into UChicago and suck up the fact that its tougher than most places. Definitely no point in going to a school like Michigan, tOSU, Oregon, Wisconsin (go to an SEC school or ASU if you want the party scene), etc.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #24158
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

actually, now that I think about it I cant find a reason to go to any big 10 school unless you are in state and want to stay close to home or save money. I cant say the same for any other major conference or the Ivys.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #24159
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
Nah, but if you have a chance to go to Northwestern you probably should despite the weather because it opens a lot of doors. That's the point. It's worth being cold and stuff during college if you're getting a great degree, but if my son is going to U of M, I'm going to tell him to just downgrade a bit and go to Pepperdine or something. If he's going to Northwestern, I'm going to make fun of him for the purple uniforms and let him go.
hmmmm.... I think Michigan degree opens more doors than Pepperdine.
And, I'm not the type to be blown away by degrees having much significance.

As always, the answer is it depends. If it's a general liberal arts degree, school differences rarely matter. If one's goal is to settle in Michigan and rise through middle management of some business, a Michigan or MSU degree goes a long ways. If going national, Michigan name carries a bit more weight.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #24160
Mittens
Pooh-Bah
 
Mittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brodeur Jersey Still Fits
Posts: 4,711
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
actually, now that I think about it I cant find a reason to go to any big 10 school unless you are in state and want to stay close to home or save money. I cant say the same for any other major conference or the Ivys.
yeah I can't for the life of me imagine why someone out-of-state would ever want to go to Minnesota/MSU etc, Michigan kinda makes sense ex-ante because you're 17 and the school is ranked decently and you don't understand the lifestyle difference between UM and something slightly worse like UNC or UCLA.
Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #24161
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
actually, now that I think about it I cant find a reason to go to any big 10 school unless you are in state and want to stay close to home or save money.
I agree with this. I only went to Illinois due to in-state academic schollie and the school was #1 or very close to it nationally in the majors in which I was interested.

If I was undecided or whatever, I would have gone South.

There is the exception that if you know you're going to settle in the state, it's good to go to the state school as it will help foot-in-the-door wise for interviews and such.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #24162
Mittens
Pooh-Bah
 
Mittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brodeur Jersey Still Fits
Posts: 4,711
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn2Raise View Post
hmmmm.... I think Michigan degree opens more doors than Pepperdine.
And, I'm not the type to be blown away by degrees having much significance.

As always, the answer is it depends. If it's a general liberal arts degree, school differences rarely matter. If one's goal is to settle in Michigan and rise through middle management of some business, a Michigan or MSU degree goes a long ways. If going national, Michigan name carries a bit more weight.
Yeah but it's not that big of a difference to justify the lifestyle hit. In my experience there's like 4 levels of college when it comes to job stuff:

Harvard/Princeton/Yale

...

Ivy+

...

Almost every other nationally competitive school where the school doesn't mean anything and you have to prove yourself (like every flagship state school, lots of others)

...

Schools where it's straining credulity to believe you're smart (The 2nd or 3rd best state school in most states or below)


Put simply: Fairly or not, no one is going to assume you're smart if you went to Michigan. They won't exclude the possibility, but they won't assume it. People will assume you're smart if you went to Northwestern. Maybe Pepperdine is a bad example, but there are a ****load of fun, warm schools where people won't assume you're smart but are open to being convinced.
Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #24163
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Michigan has a ridiculously huge alum base, it definitely will get you in places Pepperdine won't. lol Pepperdine.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #24164
Mittens
Pooh-Bah
 
Mittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brodeur Jersey Still Fits
Posts: 4,711
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Upon further research Pepperdine is a terrible party school run by contraception-hoarding Christians. lol Pepperdine indeed. Replace "Pepperdine" with "UCLA".

Last edited by Mittens; 03-02-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: haha, apparently UCLA is ranked higher than Michigan. Let's try UT Austin!
Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #24165
sethypooh21
Make or Miss League
 
sethypooh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nylon Calculus etc.
Posts: 47,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
yeah I can't for the life of me imagine why someone out-of-state would ever want to go to Minnesota/MSU etc, Michigan kinda makes sense ex-ante because you're 17 and the school is ranked decently and you don't understand the lifestyle difference between UM and something slightly worse like UNC or UCLA.
I grew up somewhere colder, so southern Minnesota wasn't that bad.
sethypooh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #24166
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
Yeah but it's not that big of a difference to justify the lifestyle hit. In my experience there's like 4 levels of college when it comes to job stuff:

Harvard/Princeton/Yale

...

Ivy+

...

Almost every other nationally competitive school where the school doesn't mean anything and you have to prove yourself (like every flagship state school, lots of others)

...

Schools where it's straining credulity to believe you're smart (The 2nd or 3rd best state school in most states or below)


Put simply: Fairly or not, no one is going to assume you're smart if you went to Michigan. They won't exclude the possibility, but they won't assume it. People will assume you're smart if you went to Northwestern. Maybe Pepperdine is a bad example, but there are a ****load of fun, warm schools where people won't assume you're smart but are open to being convinced.
more or less agree with this. I think the 2nd line is 2 distinct groups though and Stanford and MIT probably belong in the top group. Stuff like Northwestern, NYU, UVA, UNC, etc. belong above other state schools like Wisconsin or tOSU, but below places like Duke, Cornell, Cal Tech, etc.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #24167
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
Upon further research Pepperdine is a terrible party school run by contraception-hoarding Christians. lol Pepperdine indeed. Replace "Pepperdine" with "UCLA".
try UGA. seems like a good parallel.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #24168
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Honestly, the northern schools are left over from a day and age when A/C wasn't widely available and cheap. As the population shifts, the somewhat superior attitude held by many of their alums will decrease. For the longest time, the big MW land grant state schools were spitting out more alums than the other places. Strength in numbers.
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #24169
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

It's a shame you'll be dead by the time their attitudes come back to earth. Really just a pity.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #24170
Dyenimator
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dyenimator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: It's the D.Y.E.
Posts: 23,131
The way this "winter" is going, people will be coming back in droves.
Dyenimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #24171
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Yeah bro, global warming is going to reverse the population shifts in no time. Michigan is going to be the new Cancun with all dem beaches.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #24172
Fyte On
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fyte On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lane ****ing kiffin bro
Posts: 7,330
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
Have you actually been to USC's campus? Or just Los Angeles? USC's campus is garbage, and you have to value weather an insane amount to prefer it over Ann Arbor and South Bend.
lol

You lost major points to your argument by saying the "campus" is bad

The campus is gorgeous, they film there all the time, etc (yes, proximity to Hollywood helps)

The area surrounding is absolute dog**** I'll give you that, but it is improving

There are and have been major issues with the surrounding community that have severely limited the schools ability to just level all the crappy stuff (tons of which is on property the school owns)

Plus its not just weather, its close to everything

But even then, I'm cold when its 60. lol @ u
Fyte On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #24173
Fyte On
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fyte On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lane ****ing kiffin bro
Posts: 7,330
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Notre Dame's campus was very nice, but there is a reason that everyone stays in Chicago for ND games
Fyte On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #24174
Fyte On
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fyte On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lane ****ing kiffin bro
Posts: 7,330
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Yeah Pepperdine is uber religious and small and doesn't party

The campus is on the beach in Malibu, but the school isn't even that great, it just private

I'm fairly certain UCSB is ranked higher than Pepp as well if you're looking for a school on the beach

But you can catch herpes just driving through Isla Vista so enter at your own risk
Fyte On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #24175
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,622
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
It's a shame you'll be dead by the time their attitudes come back to earth. Really just a pity.
sounds like butthurt
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive