Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #22776
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
not really sure that huds can be any more than minimally blamed for that.
I'm not blaming HUDs. I don't think you don't realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
unbelievably wrong
Care to explain why? How, exactly did a site make money off of me when I made one 600 dollar deposit 6 years ago? Yeah, I don't get to keep everything I win, but the site still is simply losing less money from other people, not making money off of me. Without the depositors, the site gets no new cash and goes broke.

Since you're not actually making any argument, I'm kind of left guessing what your point is, and I think you're simply confusing cause and effect. Basically, you're forgetting that the site's rake is paid for by other people's money, not mine.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #22777
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Ok, so what are you whining about then?
FWIW I'm far more than a marginal winner and didn't move because I have a decent casino nearby along with a wife and a home. It's been a major hit to my finances though.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #22778
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Ok, so what are you whining about then?

i dunno, ur the one who brought my personal situation into this. it really has no relevance. ill be happy to discuss it but ive described in numerous times and its not all that interesting.

i was more into discussing how the sites make money, how to create and maintain a "healthy" economy and all that.

ikes already said it, and you were trending dangerously close, but i wasnt sure you stance. the notion that sites dont make money off of winning players and that winning takes away from the sites does not sit well with me. i didnt say wrong, bc i dont doubt there is a way to construct and frame a situation where it applies.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #22779
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Which part. The part I bolded is 100% correct.
pretty much the rest but here

"While sites collect rake and this takes away from my winnings, they do not make money off of me. They only make money from people putting money on the site. Since I pull off far more than I put on, I'm not exactly valuable to them."
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #22780
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
i dunno, ur the one who brought my personal situation into this. it really has no relevance. ill be happy to discuss it but ive described in numerous times and its not all that interesting.

i was more into discussing how the sites make money, how to create and maintain a "healthy" economy and all that.

ikes already said it, and you were trending dangerously close, but i wasnt sure you stance. the notion that sites dont make money off of winning players and that winning takes away from the sites does not sit well with me. i didnt say wrong, bc i dont doubt there is a way to construct and frame a situation where it applies.
You've admitted that u mad, and you seem pretty passionate on it, just wondering why you gaf.

Like I said, there are a lot of variables at play, but basically, both the pros and casinos are dependent upon a constant supply of fish. The existence of the pros shortens the lifecycle of the fish, creates a more urgent (and therefore more expensive) need to constantly replace them, and creates a less enjoyable product for the fish (which both shortens the lifecycle and increases cost of acquisition due to word of mouth). But both the casinos and the pros are basically divvying up the revenue generated by the fish.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #22781
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post

Like I said, there are a lot of variables at play, but basically, both the pros and casinos are dependent upon a constant supply of fish. The existence of the pros shortens the lifecycle of the fish, creates a more urgent (and therefore more expensive) need to constantly replace them, and creates a less enjoyable product for the fish (which both shortens the lifecycle and increases cost of acquisition due to word of mouth). But both the casinos and the pros are basically divvying up the revenue generated by the fish.
much of this makes sense, but i think we are disagreeing on the degrees and ability to control.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #22782
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
pretty much the rest but here

"While sites collect rake and this takes away from my winnings, they do not make money off of me. They only make money from people putting money on the site. Since I pull off far more than I put on, I'm not exactly valuable to them."
If I deposit 1000, withdraw 10000, and 'pay', with other people's money, 1000 in rake. What's my net value added to the poker site?
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #22783
Riverman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Riverman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 73,137
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

lol ike

Last edited by Riverman; 02-15-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: you should apply for a job at bodog
Riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #22784
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

things like SNE are short term good long term bad for a site, i imagine. but i'm sure it brought in decent money for stars to have a ton of games going during the day with a low # of fish - just pros grinding away on SNE.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #22785
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
things like SNE are short term good long term bad for a site, i imagine. but i'm sure it brought in decent money for stars to have a ton of games going during the day with a low # of fish - just pros grinding away on SNE.
Going for SNE turns many players from net drains on the site to net donators to the site because it encourages people to ALWAYS be playing. Even with 6 great pros at the table, one of them will be a fish at that moment.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #22786
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

ikes: the idea that players are 'net drains' or 'net donators' on any site is ridiculous.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #22787
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

did you guys know that ikes makes money playing poker?
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #22788
ItsRainingMen
master of your domain
 
ItsRainingMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LET THE MARLIN SOARRRRR!!!
Posts: 21,760
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
ikes: the idea that players are 'net drains' or 'net donators' on any site is ridiculous.
i wouldn't be too sure about that
ItsRainingMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #22789
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
ikes: the idea that players are 'net drains' or 'net donators' on any site is ridiculous.
Why, exactly?
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #22790
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

i mean, obv a superuser would be a "drain" and some 100/100 maniac wouold be a nice donator, but irl these sort of things are negligible.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #22791
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

you really dont understand?

you are correct that the site needs new deposits coming in or else they will rake away all the money and there won't be any games left.

however as long as new deposits are coming in at a rate greater than or equal the rake plus withdrawals, the site could give a **** who wins and who loses
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #22792
Calm And Collected
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 758
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Winning players make money off the losing players/worse winning players.

The site makes money off of everyone.

Kind of simple.
Calm And Collected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #22793
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm And Collected View Post
Winning players make money off the losing players/worse winning players.

The site makes money off of everyone.

Kind of simple.
It's much more complicated than that.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #22794
Calm And Collected
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 758
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
It's much more complicated than that.
for a ****ty site like bovada, yes.

for a legit site like stars, i don't see how.
Calm And Collected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #22795
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
i mean, obv a superuser would be a "drain" and some 100/100 maniac wouold be a nice donator, but irl these sort of things are negligible.
That's an awfully big assertion. Again, if I deposit 1000, withdraw 10000, and 'pay', with other people's money, 1000 in rake. What's my net value added to the poker site? It'd be one thing if someone achieved this through pure luck. However, many pros do this basically all the time.

The conclusion you're going to be eventually make is that poker sites want regs, not massively winning pros. That's why pokerstars pushed SNE. That's why rewards programs push players to continue playing. Other sites, like bodog, have gone in the other direction by discouraging play to 'protect' fish. Frankly I don't think this is ideal because so many people will grind themselves into oblivion (see pokerstars), but bodog has other reasons like it's casino and sportsbetting for that policy.

It seems like I'm trying to be out nitted here, and I don't think either one of us really remembers how this discussion started, but I want legalization to happen, even if it sucks, so that more fish can deposit. More fish depositing is nothing but good for online pros. The reason why games have sucked so much lately is that the casual player is not willing to put money online, and for good reason.

Last edited by ikestoys; 02-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #22796
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
you really dont understand?

you are correct that the site needs new deposits coming in or else they will rake away all the money and there won't be any games left.

however as long as new deposits are coming in at a rate greater than or equal the rake plus withdrawals, the site could give a **** who wins and who loses
Bolded is kind of the whole point. Sites are perfectly fine with pros as long as the bolded rate is large enough to their liking. The problem is that with the wider use of things like ptr and the increased difficulty of depositing, it's been much harder for new deposits to keep up. Once the net drains overwhelm the net sources the site is in trouble.

The question becomes what do you do when the bolded is no longer true? Sites have gone to limiting withdrawals to small amounts and making players completely anonymous. Both are essentially designed to severely discourage winning players from playing.

Now, hopefully a new poker economy won't face the same crunch, but that doesn't change the fact that large winning pros are anything but a drain on a site.

Last edited by ikestoys; 02-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #22797
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
you really dont understand?

you are correct that the site needs new deposits coming in or else they will rake away all the money and there won't be any games left.

however as long as new deposits are coming in at a rate greater than or equal the rake plus withdrawals, the site could give a **** who wins and who loses
But that can't continue forever. So the casino is constantly reinvesting in new customer acquisition. But as the pool of potential new customers shrinks with each new acquisition, and the lifecycle also shrinks due to more money coming out of the ecosystem, and free acquisitions due to word of mouth shrivel up, then the cost of acquisition skyrockets. All of that is why the site gives a ****. Their true profit from the winners is much much less than their net rake received from them.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #22798
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

BTW, an analogous statement from loretta would be: the 5 lb weight around a runners ankle is not a net drag as long as the runner is moving forward. That obviously doesn't make sense. Sites make more money when there's less withdrawals and more rake.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #22799
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

large winners are inevitable though, there are always going to be players who are far better than the competition. in MTTs at least, even if every single player were of equal skill there would be lots of huge winners over, say, a sample size of a year.

i think the redepositing issue is a much bigger problem for cash games than in MTTs, where the huge money for the top spots deludes fish into continuing to give it a shot.
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #22800
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,695
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, and Forum Discussion

Has anyone here seen Justified?

It any good?
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive