Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #10926
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Tractor Trailer for Dirk.

I guess we can finally close the book on that debate.
idk, Bo.b.bo might have some secret stats that show Tractor actually had some elite hidden abilities, and the Bucks actually won the deal. i think the book stays open 'til then.
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #10927
TimmayB
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimmayB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Master of the Obvious
Posts: 12,085
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Indeed. The disparity is pretty amazing. Suffice it to say I feel for you, oT, and Phildo.
Racist ban for leaving out tarheels.
TimmayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #10928
AcTiOnJaCsOn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AcTiOnJaCsOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GOAT
Posts: 24,775
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
He got plowed!
Spoiler:
AcTiOnJaCsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #10929
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
I am not in the majority when it comes to these things, but if someone said "such and such metric means this, go figure it out," I would gladly do that in order to contribute to the discussion at hand rather than say something like "why don't YOU explain it you big dick cheese." Chances are good a simple Google search will uncover what you need to know, and if you can't find it then, you should then ask questions.

But again I understand such thinking is generally not accepted as reasonable for sports discussions on this site.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypooh21 View Post
It's only "on you" to the extent you care about convincing people of something.
I don't think we should be trying to convince people of anything...we should all throw our collective knowledge into the pot and then try to best come up with answers. Of course its frustrating when people don't properly evaluate evidence, and that is what leads to most "debates." But if someone doesn't even care enough to do some basic research, then who cares what they think anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitchface View Post
Did you miss the Assani post in TZ this year where he said people should just listen he and Bobbo more?
I think people should listen to us about our overall methodologies and the way we think about basketball. I certainly don't think people should blindly accept the things we say, and if I ever said that then I was wrong.

I don't think I'm one bit better at evaluating basketball via 'the eye test' or basic statistics than anyone else; I do think that with the help of guys like Keith/Rob/etc. I've discovered a better way(one resembling a scientific approach to evidence) to analyze things. At least I notice in myself that I'm now much better than I was before adapting these lines of thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
And that if they say clearly wrong stuff that they eventually realize is wrong it's okay because it's a learning experience for them and that's what these forums are for. For people to state ridiculous claims as fact with an absurd sense of arrogance and then be taught the truth. That's why we post.
LOL@ "ridiculous claims". I wonder how many people who have honestly sought out to learn about the KLove situation(I suppose thats what you are referring to) still think those are ridiculous claims. I'd be interested in hearing what Clark, Seth, CVig, and other guys who have been active in Skype chats think about it now.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #10930
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 36,550
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

"Kevin Love has a legitimate case for being the best player in basketball" is a ridiculous claim, you can argue with that all you want I don't care. I will however note that a favorite stat of you guys RAPM rates him as a neutral player which makes it rather diffiicult/disingenuous to defend both positions.
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #10931
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing what Clark, Seth, CVig, and other guys who have been active in Skype chats think about it now
Honestly, the only thing more tiring than debating how Bobbo(mostly) and Assani (to a lesser extent) present their more controversial thoughts to the group is the seemingly endless FAQ/PM/Email debate of bans, standards, trolling and rules. The only reason I engage is my profound respect for Keith, my friendship with IrishHand and my genuine belief that both Assani and Bobbo have a genuine desire to debate these topics and to enhance their knowledge.**

The most succinct way I can sum it up is that if Bobbo/Assani would present their thoughts in the same way KBFC does, this topic would suddenly cease to exist and there'd be much more robust dialogue that would benefit everyone (most of all those who hope to eventually turn a profit on their NBA analytics).

Last edited by ClarkNasty; 05-11-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: **I should add that I it would also help me learn more and drastically increase the quality of forum discussion.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #10932
ItsRainingMen
master of your domain
 
ItsRainingMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LET THE MARLIN SOARRRRR!!!
Posts: 21,760
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawesomer View Post
tuq if the wings somehow pull this off and you get out of this sweet avatar I made you after game 3...

I post this here instead of the sj-det thread because it looks terrible from the outside (have only visited once or twice since series started), guessing it's both fanbases contributing. bay area is very interestingly represented in SE, there's not much middle ground either you're a terrible poster or you're an awesome one (check the single season giants threads top post counters to see this effect in full force)
i doubt very much there's anyone in either thread who loses sleep over the distinction
ItsRainingMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #10933
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

how many posts does assani spend talking about how he thinks about basketball vs posts where he actually discusses basketball? i don't read tz much so maybe i'm wrong but it seems like the ratio is pretty crazy these days.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #10934
Fallen Hero
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fallen Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 21,422
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Assani, you're either trolling or don't understand the definition of "evidence"
Fallen Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #10935
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 36,550
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
how many posts does assani spend talking about how he thinks about basketball vs posts where he actually discusses basketball? i don't read tz much so maybe i'm wrong but it seems like the ratio is pretty crazy these days.
You now need to read his website to see his thoughts on basketball. He encourages you to make an account and comment on the articles!
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #10936
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Of course its frustrating when people don't properly evaluate evidence, and that is what leads to most "debates." But if someone doesn't even care enough to do some basic research, then who cares what they think anyway.
What I briefly remember from reading TZ was that whenever you guys argued your point, others questioned your sources or the stats cited, the normal reaction was akin to "you guys don't know what you don't know."

It makes me wonder if you guys even understand the stats (and their potential shortcomings) that you are citing, or perhaps you just don't want to share them.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #10937
chuckbomb
adept
 
chuckbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Oh hey am I too late to lol at Clark for claiming milk is worse for you than ****ing grape juice? I mean that is just hilarious and roughly equivalent to claiming Rondo>Rose or something equally absurd.

Last edited by chuckbomb; 05-11-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: hey clark, lol@u
chuckbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #10938
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 36,550
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Haha yeah that was great.

Milk is bad.... I drink juice!
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #10939
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,695
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

The mods clearly just changed Asseni's post and put it under Assani's real account before anyone noticed.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #10940
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Looks like we can take down the job posting for "angry random in SE" since it appears chuckbomb has filled it adequately.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #10941
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbomb View Post
Oh hey am I too late to lol at Clark for claiming milk is worse for you than ****ing grape juice? .
Except I never said any such thing.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #10942
chuckbomb
adept
 
chuckbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Looks like we can take down the job posting for "angry random in SE" since it appears chuckbomb has filled it adequately.
Much obliged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Except I never said any such thing.
obtuse itt
chuckbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #10943
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

what about grape drink?
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #10944
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
what about grape drank?
fyp
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #10945
tarheeljks
The Dark Knight
 
tarheeljks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: no tacos this year
Posts: 37,657
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

who doesn't like to grip and sip?
tarheeljks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #10946
cwicemvp12
Sergei Bobrovsky!
 
cwicemvp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 22,497
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
fyp
cwicemvp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #10947
cwicemvp12
Sergei Bobrovsky!
 
cwicemvp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 22,497
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbomb View Post
Oh hey am I too late to lol at Clark for claiming milk is worse for you than ****ing grape juice? I mean that is just hilarious and roughly equivalent to claiming Rondo>Rose or something equally absurd.
It's fine, you'll get the last laugh when his bones start to deteriorate.
cwicemvp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #10948
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
"Kevin Love has a legitimate case for being the best player in basketball" is a ridiculous claim, you can argue with that all you want I don't care. I will however note that a favorite stat of you guys RAPM rates him as a neutral player which makes it rather diffiicult/disingenuous to defend both positions.
Agreed, that is a ridiculous claim. Its also quite different from "Through 30 games, Kevin Love has played incredibly better than we expected(which may be variance) while a ton of superstars have gotten off to really bad starts. Therefore, its actually legitimate to think of Kevin Love as being in the discussion of having been the best player through 30 games, although if I had to rank him exactly I'd put him somewhere in the #3-5 range over those 30 games."

I don't think I have ever once said anything positive about RAPM. I'm not even sure if I've ever mentioned it once in my 35K+ posts on 2p2...are you sure you're remembering things correctly?

Last edited by Assani Fisher; 05-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #10949
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post

The most succinct way I can sum it up is that if Bobbo/Assani would present their thoughts in the same way KBFC does, this topic would suddenly cease to exist and there'd be much more robust dialogue that would benefit everyone (most of all those who hope to eventually turn a profit on their NBA analytics).
Also agreed completely with this. Keith really is a good model for me to try to follow. I've tried to present my arguments much better ever since we started the site. I know my argument style previously wasn't the best.

With that said, there still is/was a lot of value to the way I was always willing to go incredibly in depth into arguments. Hopefully I can continue that aspect of my style but make changes for the better as you suggest.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #10950
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

well as long as you stay humble
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive