Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #7751
tschubauer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tschubauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Godgers
Posts: 7,458
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcountry View Post
i just hope you q.ueers don't do anything drastic because this is always the lamest month+ of the sporting calendar
Question, does all this crap happen every year when football ends?
tschubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #7752
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

I don't buy the whole "worst month" thing. Maybe if you're not into basketball or hockey, but late June - late August are total sporting wastelands except for baseball and golf, and I don't expect anyone to care about golf just because I do.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #7753
kbfc
Pooh-Bah
 
kbfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Let's NBA
Posts: 4,225
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Eh, I don't keep all my PMs but there were a bunch who claimed it. You're free to not believe me, but why would I make it up?
It's not that I don't believe the PMs exist. It's that I'm skeptical they exist from posters who would otherwise be valuable contributors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Chicken and egg is irrelevant when the bias is pretty obvious. And you certainly are aware of his issues, so you aren't blind. But definitely biased.
It absolutely matters. It's the difference between causation and correlation. Yes, I am biased towards conversing with people who fit the traits I believe to be most valuable in a conversational partner. And I'm also biased towards trying to suss out what it is that makes a conversation valuable to me, and trying to explain those reasons to reasonable, rational folks like yourself. That's not what you mean when you say "bias", though. I would agree with you if the subject was something unrelated to the exact specific reason I became friends with them in the first place, but in this case, that's exactly what the subject is.

Quote:
Oh, please, do you seriously think it was meant to be an exhaustive recap of Assani's SE resume?
"Especially wrt SE, we're talking about the introducing FBG draft threads to this forum, above average basketball discussion and............what? Biased football analysis and Denver is an elite team takes?"

You're saying I misinterpreted this?

Quote:
You've said this before privately as a suspicion, but you severely underestimate the impact that their trolling has on people's perception of them when they are trying to have a legit debate. So you think it's disappointing that when Assani "wants to be taken seriously", he isn't (or it's viewed as a negative), but it's Assani's own fault, not some suboptimal flaw in the forum
I think I estimate people's perception of them quite well, which is why I'm disappointed. If Boiling Oat Runner is causing someone to dismiss Assani's NBA posting, then I'm disappointed in them. If one thinks he or Bobbo are trolling when they post controversial statements that they may or may not believe, but think might be worth discussing in order to solidify their own understanding of a topic, same thing.

For a game which you'd all admit still has so many unanswered questions, I see a lot of hair-trigger dismissal going on from people who I am pretty damn sure don't have all the answers. And even if you happen to be right about a specific assertion being made, I'm even more pretty damn sure you haven't explored all the implications, qualitatively or quantitatively, of your position.

Quote:
Re: bolded, the prosecution rests re: bias. I'm flabbergasted at that statement. (and I think Bobbo has by-and-large been outstanding lately)
This was in regards to them contributing most of the interesting material in TZ these days. Counterexample?

Quote:
Nah, it's a negative. When the Asseni gimmick is as successful as it is, it should be obvious there's a problem. Assani has caused multiple threads in the ATF forum of posters who wanted him banned due to his trolling. In what way is that a good thing? It detracts from all of the positive things he does.
The Asseni gimmick was successful because it was funny. I thought that was obvious. I'm not swayed by people wanting him banned in other forums. Those other forums are composed mostly of people with whom I couldn't stomach more than 30 seconds of conversation.

Quote:
You blame the forum for not taking him seriously when he wants to be, but how do you not see that it's all Assani's own fault?
Because A clearly doesn't imply B, and I'm living proof. Beefcake.
kbfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #7754
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

maybe july. nfl fans have preseason in august and are usually pretty excited for the regular season.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #7755
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Casual golf fans don't care, now that Tiger is ****
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #7756
tschubauer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tschubauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Godgers
Posts: 7,458
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

But the difference between July and February is the weather. I don't care if there is a lack of sporting events going on in July because its nice outside; I can go play golf or softball or any number of things and enjoy the summer weather. February just sucks because (for most of us) it still involves snow/rain/cold and sitting inside staring at the TV. Football is a nice distraction from winter and when the season ends, winter gets old real fast. And I am assuming most people here probably spend less time posting and watching TV in general in the summer.

edit, so yes I am drawing the conclusion that weather plays a large part in our February sports boredom.
tschubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #7757
kkcountry
BBV MS Paint Rapid Response Squad
 
kkcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: dimichele ripped
Posts: 31,249
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschubauer View Post
But the difference between July and February is the weather. I don't care if there is a lack of sporting events going on in July because its nice outside; I can go play golf or softball or any number of things and enjoy the summer weather. February just sucks because (for most of us) it still involves snow/rain/cold and sitting inside staring at the TV. Football is a nice distraction from winter and when the season ends, winter gets old real fast. And I am assuming most people here probably spend less time posting and watching TV in general in the summer.
this

cabin fever itf
kkcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #7758
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Oh. Well here it's preferable to be outside in February rather than July. By a lot.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #7759
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,363
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Oh. Well here it's preferable to be outside in February rather than July. By a lot.
but it's a dry heat!

new avator tuq? good replacement for cigar dude, imo.
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #7760
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,177
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Why the hell do people live in cold places?
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #7761
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,705
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfc View Post

For a game which you'd all admit still has so many unanswered questions, I see a lot of hair-trigger dismissal going on from people who I am pretty damn sure don't have all the answers. And even if you happen to be right about a specific assertion being made, I'm even more pretty damn sure you haven't explored all the implications, qualitatively or quantitatively, of your position.
You can say this about anyone including yourself given that it is an unsolved game. So I'm guessing this is more an issue with people stating things assertively and you'd like more qualifiers of things being opinion rather than fact.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #7762
sethypooh21
Make or Miss League
 
sethypooh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nylon Calculus etc.
Posts: 47,038
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfc View Post
The Asseni gimmick was successful because it was funny. I thought that was obvious. I'm not swayed by people wanting him banned in other forums. Those other forums are composed mostly of people with whom I couldn't stomach more than 30 seconds of conversation.
Peel the onion back one more layer and think about WHY it was funny. With no frame of reference, the Asseni posts are pretty dumb. That they are believably (though amplified) Assani posts, that says something about his ability to make ridiculous posts.

Not to say that he's a negative poster (I think he isn't and I don't think Clark does either), but you are making the logical error of assuming that since you aren't bothered by his more...elaborate arguments, others don't find them so bothersome as to color their opinion of his actual content-filled posts. It's a little bit like saying the wins are skill and the losses are variance.
sethypooh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #7763
badbeatnik
veteran
 
badbeatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brad's Brass Flamingo
Posts: 2,642
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle77 View Post
Why the hell do people live in cold places?
After another long winter here in Indiana, I again asked myself why I stay here. I always come back to not wanting to live far away from my parents if they have health problems and wanting to see my sister's kids grow up. Most people that stay in places where the weather sucks probably have similar answers.
badbeatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #7764
sethypooh21
Make or Miss League
 
sethypooh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nylon Calculus etc.
Posts: 47,038
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeatnik View Post
After another long winter here in Indiana, I again asked myself why I stay here. I always come back to not wanting to live far away from my parents if they have health problems and wanting to see my sister's kids grow up. Most people that stay in places where the weather sucks probably have similar answers.
This. Except for the Indiana part, ldo.
sethypooh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #7765
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

i actually like the seasons, but "what did I come back to this?" crossed my mind a couple times when January was kicking our ass.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #7766
iamawesomer
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,523
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
i actually like the seasons, but "what did I come back to this?" crossed my mind a couple times when January was kicking our ass.
Boston sucked less than I remember when I was there this past weekend, probably was because it's been warmer than when I've been before (except Thursday night, that sucked). Seasons are OK and all but I'd still much rather have it where if I want to see snow I just have to take a couple hour drive and still have it be 50-60 degrees in the wintertime otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
You can say this about anyone including yourself given that it is an unsolved game. So I'm guessing this is more an issue with people stating things assertively and you'd like more qualifiers of things being opinion rather than fact.
If I remember kbfc correctly this is the last thing he wants more of.

I'm probably someone who reads and participates a lot less than I did, and the memetarding plays some part of it (though much smaller then just being much more busy).

Do I think the forum would be better off with less "u mad"s and "$how your work"s? Sure. Would I want them to start banning because of it? Not really, I don't think it's going to accomplish much in the long run. Like Phildo, I'd just be more upset that they couldn't troll better. If they did trolled well with a good one liner instead of terrible memes, it'd be a lot better. Creative trolling is such a fine art.

FREE NOT LOLO!
iamawesomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #7767
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle77 View Post
Why the hell do people live in cold places?
cause pretty much all my friends are here and there is a lot of stuff to do?

also nyc is one of the best places to live in the world and it's cold as hell too
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #7768
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

qualifiers are indicative of poor communicators in most cases.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #7769
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,705
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawesomer View Post
If I remember kbfc correctly this is the last thing he wants more of.
I guess its more of an issue of tone or aggressiveness of argument then.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #7770
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,177
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
i actually like the seasons, but "what did I come back to this?" crossed my mind a couple times when January was kicking our ass.
Theres almost nothing in this world that could get me to go back to that dreadful north east. I haven't seen a snowflake since I moved here last June, have had 70 degree days in February and March, did I mention no snow? Its basically the greatest thing ever. Going golfing this weekend for like 3rd time in my life. Should be interesting.

Now...the states themselves down here are pretty ****ed up. Thank God Myrtle is like a separate entity from the rest of SC. This state kind of blows.
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #7771
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

i've heard charleston is pretty sweet.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #7772
kbfc
Pooh-Bah
 
kbfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Let's NBA
Posts: 4,225
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
You can say this about anyone including yourself given that it is an unsolved game. So I'm guessing this is more an issue with people stating things assertively and you'd like more qualifiers of things being opinion rather than fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawesomer View Post
If I remember kbfc correctly this is the last thing he wants more of.
Sup! Rob mentioned you guys hung out a bit this weekend. Way too busy to make it out this year, but maybe next time.

You're right, btw. It's the difference between making an assertion as the opening salvo of a debate, which you're willing to devote stupid amounts of time to support; and dismissing said assertion out-of-hand, thus giving the seal of approval for all the trolls to derail the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypooh21 View Post
Peel the onion back one more layer and think about WHY it was funny. With no frame of reference, the Asseni posts are pretty dumb. That they are believably (though amplified) Assani posts, that says something about his ability to make ridiculous posts.
They were funny because they captured his voice incredibly well, to the point where they actually fooled people into thinking it was him. The Asseni posts weren't inherently trolly or banworthy by any measure. I'm not saying Assani isn't an amusing character -- Asseni proved as much -- but so what? As if any of the rest of us are immune to such poking.

Quote:
Not to say that he's a negative poster (I think he isn't and I don't think Clark does either), but you are making the logical error of assuming that since you aren't bothered by his more...elaborate arguments, others don't find them so bothersome as to color their opinion of his actual content-filled posts. It's a little bit like saying the wins are skill and the losses are variance.
No, I'm saying you guys are doing a really poor job of distinguishing between "elaborate arguments" and "content-filled posts". They're the same thing. If you don't have the stomach or stamina to go along with him in one of those threads, then don't! Easy peasy.
kbfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #7773
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,177
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Yeah...depending on how this whole NCAA fiasco goes I'm applying to high schools in Charleston, Wilmington, NC, and Savannah, GA. All 3 places are gorgeous and have the "city-ish" atmosphere that I want. Myrtle is just straight beast mode though. Still have to pinch myself that I live here. A ****ing palm tree is right in front of my car outside.
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #7774
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

I visited Charleston several years ago and I would 100% visit again. Very cool city. Great culture, music, food, nice people, the beaches are pretty cool, etc.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #7775
brendoh
Pooh-Bah
 
brendoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,826
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Get a job in wilmington & get your golf game in shape. Then come drink, gamble and golf with me next time i'm out that ways yo.
brendoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive