Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #7726
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfc View Post
I meant who are the examples of people who changed their mind as to whether to contribute or not based on the rules?
Eh, I don't keep all my PMs but there were a bunch who claimed it. You're free to not believe me, but why would I make it up?
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #7727
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Thumbs up re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypooh21 View Post
I think the problem lies in the certitude with which your present your stat-based opinions (and yes they still qualify as opinions) - Basketball is not solved to nearly the extent that baseball is. I suppose it's possible to argue that Fields > Amare, but coming to such a conclusion would make me first question my methodology a little (not reject it, just reexamine to see if there is a systemic bias in favor of or against certain types of players) and second cause me to think that such a conclusion is probably more an indictment of Amare than a startling revelation of the greatest of Fields.
This is a great post.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #7728
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Eh, you were hated by a lot of posters. Pretty shocked you'd say this other than trying to be argumentative since I think you're reasonably self aware.
I was clearly referring to the fr forum not se. for an esteemed mod such as urself, u either show really bad reading comprehension or are trolling, both which are obviously very funny for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
It's also nice that you don't even deny that you've sucked and even TuT acknowledges what you've been doing. When KBFC calls you out for sucking, you know it's pretty bad. Which is a shame because you're capable of contributing.
I've contributed fine, i'm not gonna sit here and say i've never trolled because that's obviously a lie. Almost everyone trolls though so whatever, I have plenty of serious discussions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
This is just silly. Who do you think you're kidding? I think it's cute that you are trying to carefully define what you're saying so you can try and get all legalese about it in arguments. You're without question one of the leading meme people. U mad, Kesha.
I've prob used the "u $ad" ke$ha photo like 2-3 times at most and i'm def not one of the leading meme people unless u wanna call being in like the top 30 being one of the leading.

Last edited by EPiPeN11; 03-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #7729
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

epi might not be one of the meme guys, but the reason why he gets lumped in there is because any time i've read anything by him, he is defending some ridiculous homer point or clearly trolling. that's basically what all the others do.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #7730
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitchface View Post
There are like 5-7 posters I assume I'd genuinely dislike as people based on their posting on this forum. It makes me happy that these people think I've ruined "their" forum. I'm going to keep doing this for as long as I post here as it amuses me and that's all I really care about. I really don't think it's a forum problem since it's a small minority of posters being affected and I can interact with most people just fine. The discussion in this thread couldn't have been any more rewarding.

I have no motivation to make sure I'm right in all of my posts or to make sure they're witty or whatever you people want them to be. If you guys want that, can't you just stick to The Wire thread and discuss the flaws in S5 for the thousandth time with the same people over and over again. That should fill your, "I need to say smart things so people think I'm smart" quota for a while.

As for the mods, I think they usually get too much hate but think it's funny when they use the threat of banning as a way to try to reach some silly goal for the forum. I'd much rather be banned than have you say, "do this or you'll be banned." Seth is the worst about this. His threat to ban ratio is pretty high. It's the perfect way for him to show his power while being able to avoid everyone getting too mad at him for banning a bunch of people.

I'm not going to claim I completely don't care what people think about me. Everyone here does. I definitely don't care what the people who hate me think though, so carry on.

Lastly, lol TSC. I think it's funny that you can't gain acceptance to a single SE social circle despite your massive amounts of posts in many different threads. The constant TZ bashing seems like a last-ditch effort to try get the invite to the nath/triumph/pudge crew. The problem with that though, is that while they have their flaws, they're still intelligent and capable of having value on the forum, so you don't really fit in with them either.
1. I've thought a lot about it, and considering how you approach posting in general, the fact that you were nearly permabanned, and the obvious issues your posting causes, I'm just not gonna let this slide. I'm going to PM you and we can discuss, but basically, you're gonna have to change your stance if you want to keep posting. Which I hope you do because I think that when you're posting semi-seriously you do a great job of blending context/observation with statistical data.

2. Seth has to deal with the hooligans, so while you are correct, I think he deserves to be cut some slack. That thread may be tougher to mod than NBA (and the only reason NBA is tough right now is being discussed in this thread at the moment).
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #7731
NameOnTheCake
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NameOnTheCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: we're not enemies, we just disagree
Posts: 19,597
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

I'd like to throw something out and see if anyone agrees with me, its possible that I'm very much off base.

Making an outlandish claim designed to provoke a response can still be trolling, even if you are able to show some support for the claim using freely available data.

True or false?
NameOnTheCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #7732
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

true
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #7733
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfc View Post
The thread-title and subforum stuff was what I was referring to as forum formatting, which I agree are perfectly reasonable mod actions.

As for the name-calling, I think it's a little naive to think that helped anything. I guess a few thin-skinned posters may have liked it better (not that I particularly care to share a forum with them anyway, I'd imagine), but it's generally just a mockery where more time gets wasted debating about what is or isn't over some imaginary line of offensiveness. I don't consider it a win (or a loss for that matter) if name-calling is simply forced to appear worded slightly differently.
Actually, it cut down on that stuff considerably. It's hard to have real discussion when every disagreement is "stop being a moron". That's what it was. Unfortunately, it's backslid a bit, and that causes more angst and honestly I think we need to crack down on it again. I'm guilty of name calling myself so I'm not excusing myself from blame in that regard.

Quote:

You've got this completely backwards. I became real-life friends with Assani in the first place 100% because of his posting on here, and the same is true with Bobbo.
Chicken and egg is irrelevant when the bias is pretty obvious. And you certainly are aware of his issues, so you aren't blind. But definitely biased.


Quote:
To sum up his contributions as the FBG draft, biased football analysis (as if any of the rest of the self-aware lot here are above this), and a thread about Denver is silliness, and you're better than that.
Oh, please, do you seriously think it was meant to be an exhaustive recap of Assani's SE resume?


Quote:
There is nobody on here, Bobbo excluded, who is willing to explore the depths of an argument anywhere near the level Assani will. That he is sometimes (or often, as happens when you post a lot) wrong is so completely irrelevant that I don't know what else to say. The fact that these aspects are so often seen as a negative on here is simply disappointing.
You've said this before privately as a suspicion, but you severely underestimate the impact that their trolling has on people's perception of them when they are trying to have a legit debate. So you think it's disappointing that when Assani "wants to be taken seriously", he isn't (or it's viewed as a negative), but it's Assani's own fault, not some suboptimal flaw in the forum

Quote:
Maybe the forum would be better if instead of worrying about modding meme overuse, our good veteran posters wouldn't stoke the flames with dismissive accusations of "bobbotarding" or "assanitrolling" when these guys go out of their way to post what comprises almost all of what's left of interesting, thought-provoking content in TZ these days.
Re: the first part. Those types of accusations don't just come out of the blue man.

Re: bolded, the prosecution rests re: bias. I'm flabbergasted at that statement. (and I think Bobbo has by-and-large been outstanding lately)

Quote:
His artful trolling is just icing.
Nah, it's a negative. When the Asseni gimmick is as successful as it is, it should be obvious there's a problem. Assani has caused multiple threads in the ATF forum of posters who wanted him banned due to his trolling. In what way is that a good thing? It detracts from all of the positive things he does. You blame the forum for not taking him seriously when he wants to be, but how do you not see that it's all Assani's own fault?

Last edited by ClarkNasty; 03-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #7734
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Nah, it's a negative. When the Asseni gimmick is as successful as it is, it should be obvious there's a problem. Assani has caused multiple threads in the ATF forum of posters who wanted him banned due to his trolling. In what way is that a good thing? It detracts from all of the positive things he does. You blame the forum for not taking him seriously when he wants to be, but how do you not see that it's all Assani's own fault?
truer words were never spoken
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #7735
Badminton
Formerly Moronchad the King
 
Badminton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,710
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

N00b question.

How do the symbols beside the threads get there?

Heart/ Thumb etc
Badminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #7736
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Do you have MSPaint?
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #7737
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7738
nutshot2
 
nutshot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 48,746
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

nutshot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #7739
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #7740
Blue Celery
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Blue Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #carefree
Posts: 8,905
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
2. Seth has to deal with the hooligans, so while you are correct, I think he deserves to be cut some slack. That thread may be tougher to mod than NBA (and the only reason NBA is tough right now is being discussed in this thread at the moment).
Blue Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #7741
Badminton
Formerly Moronchad the King
 
Badminton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,710
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Thanks guys
Badminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #7742
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
2. Seth has to deal with the hooligans, so while you are correct, I think he deserves to be cut some slack. That thread may be tougher to mod than NBA (and the only reason NBA is tough right now is being discussed in this thread at the moment).
The soccer threads are pretty good this season, better than last anyway. Sethy hasn't even been around that much and when he has I don't think he has had that much work to do in them. A few posters don't like him for some reason but all in all Sethy doesn't do anything so bad that warrants the amount of hate he seems to get.

Some people that post in the NBA thread have tried to bring their nonsense over to the soccer threads, thankfully they have been told to take it somewhere else.
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #7743
AcTiOnJaCsOn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AcTiOnJaCsOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GOAT
Posts: 24,775
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

AcTiOnJaCsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #7744
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,111
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
...Some people that post in the NBA thread have tried to bring their nonsense over to the soccer threads, thankfully they have been told to take it somewhere else.
meh, now we're going to blame TZ for everything? not really a big deal that C-Vig, or TUt, or whoever burned a few posts trying to troll the footy crowd. sure it's stupid, childish, and annoying, but at the end of the day it's a drop in the bucket.

the biggest problem with the footy threads, when they get bad, is the lack of objectivity among pretty much all of the posters. rampant homerism is like a badge of honour, which leads to many a pointless arguments that would be better served if people would realize that the right answer is somewhere in the massive grey area in the middle.
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #7745
kkcountry
BBV MS Paint Rapid Response Squad
 
kkcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: dimichele ripped
Posts: 31,249
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

i just hope you q.ueers don't do anything drastic because this is always the lamest month+ of the sporting calendar

in less than two months boatshoes will yet again be the meme-du-jour, there will be actual meaningful nba'ing, and the WANGZZZZZZZZZZZ bandwagon will be in full effect!
kkcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #7746
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

72,

Im not blaming it for everything, other people have said to those that have posted the stupid memes in the soccer threads to take it back to TZ. I don't read that thread at all so I don't really know what goes on in there.

Something I have noticed is that there is a difference in culture between soccer fans which leads to some of the arguments. Some of us are well used to the banter, its what we grew up with. Some clearly have a smaller threshold than others and just lose the plot altogether. Plus you have to remember that soccer is such a passionate sport (probably the most passionate in the world) and tempers run high during and after games, but once the dust settles after a big game it gets back to some kind of normality.

The worst thing about some of the threads is those who come in and just post about how bad the thread is etc... their posts are the worst posts itt.
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #7747
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
Thumbs up re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmayB View Post
the WANGZZZZZZZZZZZ bandwagon will be in full effect!
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #7748
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,111
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
...Plus you have to remember that soccer is such a passionate sport (probably the most passionate in the world)...
thread needs more Jetto, ldo.
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #7749
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

Jetto is a Serie A fan!
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #7750
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
re: SE FAQ, Liveblog, Foodblog, and Forum Discussion

that must have taken a while in paint.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive