Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #55601
StoppedRainingMen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StoppedRainingMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GOATish measurables
Posts: 47,294
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

pretty amusing **** imo

Last edited by StoppedRainingMen; 03-20-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: and by amusing i mean lol @ crying on twitter
StoppedRainingMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #55602
anononon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

wut
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #55603
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 22,089
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Cliffs of whatever you guys are talking about plz

I have weird respect for GB despite his blatant pac 1012 homerism and anti sec schtick but I can still laugh plz
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #55604
Empire Man
veteran
 
Empire Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 58 etc
Posts: 2,890
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Bobbo, probably don't fish around too much about GoT online, a small % of book readers go out of their way to spoil everything everywhere, so consider youtube and comments sections totally off-limits. I stay away from the ootv thread too; signal/noise used to be terrible in it but maybe it's changed, man it must be the biggest modding headache of all-time. Fwiw this genealogy and this political map and this list helped me through S1.

Omar one of the best things about GoT is it never slows down for ppl to catch up. I can be pretty dumb about sorting out family trees etc during shows, and tbh I didn't 100% understand all the dynamics until the rewatch. Which was fine because GoT is one of the most rewatchable shows ever, despite being not much more than The Sopranos minus subtext plus Eddie Gaedel.

Last edited by Empire Man; 03-20-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Empire Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #55605
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 22,089
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

If I just got too drunk to make it to sunrise in the Canyon I will be very angry with myself.

But I think I'm fine.

Right?

Even though being at 7,000 feet above sea leavel level makes one drink be like four and I, uh, had more than one.

Including starting off with a Manhattan which is an absoluite recipe for disaster, every time.
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #55606
Ray Horton
banned
 
Ray Horton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: how far we done fell
Posts: 26,879
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

lol eddie gaedel
Ray Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #55607
StoppedRainingMen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StoppedRainingMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GOATish measurables
Posts: 47,294
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

this is, with no recency bias and no hyperbole, the single worst opinion expressed on 2+2
StoppedRainingMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #55608
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Man View Post
Bobbo, probably don't fish around too much about GoT online, a small % of book readers go out of their way to spoil everything everywhere, so consider youtube and comments sections totally off-limits. I stay away from the ootv thread too; signal/noise used to be terrible in it but maybe it's changed, man it must be the biggest modding headache of all-time. Fwiw this genealogy and this political map and this list helped me through S1.

Omar one of the best things about GoT is it never slows down for ppl to catch up. I can be pretty dumb about sorting out family trees etc during shows, and tbh I didn't 100% understand all the dynamics until the rewatch. Which was fine because GoT is one of the most rewatchable shows ever, despite being not much more than The Sopranos minus subtext plus Eddie Gaedel.
Thanks, this is awesome .

I am just grinding right now, and only posting in SE. I can't imagine I get spoiled, unless someone deliberately posts things in this thread or TZ just to **** with me.

Show is heating up, but I agree with the notion there are a million and 1 characters to remember. One thing though:

Spoiler:


Yeah.
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #55609
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

probably not a salient plot point, but:

Spoiler:
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #55610
Deanglow
Pooh-Bah
 
Deanglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: little china
Posts: 5,313
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboFitos View Post
probably not a salient plot point, but:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Deanglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #55611
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanglow View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #55612
Abysmal
veteran
 
Abysmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,089
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboFitos View Post
Hey All: I am going to begin GoT marathon tonight. I have never seen a single episode or read a single spoiler. I have this entire week free, so my plan is to catch up in order to be ready for the season opener at the end of the month.
If you're really hardcore you'll read the first 3 books as well.
Abysmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #55613
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,695
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

When I watched GOT for the first time last year, within 20 mins I thought to myself, "this is already my favorite show of all time."
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #55614
Eltbus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Eltbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CHOO CHOOOOO
Posts: 33,298
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

i've never seen a single episode of GoT either. i need to do what bobbo is doing.
Eltbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #55615
Eltbus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Eltbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CHOO CHOOOOO
Posts: 33,298
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

my oh my. and i thought this culs guy was a dolt.
Eltbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #55616
digables
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
digables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: lol b league
Posts: 15,761
I love NBA but also think March Madness is awesome.

Problem is the players and rules drive me so crazy that I wont care much by week 2 unless UNC is around

first weekend is epic though
digables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #55617
Das Boot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Das Boot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: where have you gone, landon donovan
Posts: 20,196
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Don't think you're taking it in the right light tbh. Though, given your take on that 18-year-old, maybe that post just isn't for you.

edit: to clarify, the specifics of what he's saying are definitely problematically expressed at points. But as an overall "argument"/opinion, there's something to what he's saying.

Last edited by Das Boot; 03-20-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #55618
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Leave the rapists alone
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #55619
Zimmer4141
Wet
 
Zimmer4141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 32,748
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Leave the rapists alone
I mean seriously, did you know they were honor students?
Zimmer4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #55620
Das Boot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Das Boot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: where have you gone, landon donovan
Posts: 20,196
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

The "it's not as bad because it's not rape rape" segment was highly regrettable and should have been excised, admittedly.
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #55621
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Part of the contempt towards these kids and their friends (and the community as a whole to a degree) is the vile way they acted about the rape for weeks afterwards so not really sure where this remorse argument is coming from.

Having remorse because you're going to jail isn't the same thing as having remorse because you feel bad about doing a terrible thing.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #55622
Das Boot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Das Boot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: where have you gone, landon donovan
Posts: 20,196
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Part of the contempt towards these kids and their friends (and the community as a whole to a degree) is the vile way they acted about the rape for weeks afterwards so not really sure where this remorse argument is coming from.

Having remorse because you're going to jail isn't the same thing as having remorse because you feel bad about doing a terrible thing.
I think everyone would agree on the last point. The caveat was "if the boy in question genuinely feels remorseful in his heart" (emphasis mine.) This standard of "genuineness" is certainly something that's difficult to tell from the outside and something that it's understandable to be cynical about. But, for the philosophical argument he makes, it's a crucial qualifier.

As regards the first sentence: genuine remorse can certainly be the result of a process that involves mistakes and learning. These boys/men are getting to see the consequences of their actions in a way that they may never truly have before. Is it convenient for them to develop consciences now? Sure, but that doesn't preclude it being an authentic development.
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #55623
Omar Comin
fantasy failure
 
Omar Comin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hold on we're going home
Posts: 27,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Boot View Post
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Don't think you're taking it in the right light tbh. Though, given your take on that 18-year-old, maybe that post just isn't for you.

edit: to clarify, the specifics of what he's saying are definitely problematically expressed at points. But as an overall "argument"/opinion, there's something to what he's saying.
Saying we shouldn't treat them this bad because there's worse forms of sexual assaults is silly.

Saying we shouldn't treat them this bad because they cried when they were being punished is silly.

Saying that we shouldn't punish them more than the law says to is lolobvious.
Omar Comin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #55624
Das Boot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Das Boot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: where have you gone, landon donovan
Posts: 20,196
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog & Bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Saying we shouldn't treat them this bad because there's worse forms of sexual assaults is silly.

Saying we shouldn't treat them this bad because they cried when they were being punished is silly.

Saying that we shouldn't punish them more than the law says to is lolobvious.
We obviously agree (scroll up), obvious straw man, trivial (respectively.)

I can't speak for this dude, and I wouldn't have worded things the way he did nor responded to replies the way he did, so I'll go more into my personal thoughts.

I think the reflex to aggressively and viciously dehumanize offenders, while understandable, is extremely unproductive and morally problematic. If we want a society where human rights are consistently respected, we need to consistently respect others' fundamental humanity, even/especially when it seems difficult.
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #55625
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Not really sure what you think is owed to these kids that they haven't received?

Our empathy?
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive