Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #43626
Noze
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Noze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A League
Posts: 25,712
Holy lol at tanners cars posts
Noze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #43627
digables
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
digables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: lol b league
Posts: 15,761
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Rate the way The Sopranos ended on a 1-10 scale
digables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #43628
El Rata
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Rata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31,711
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Solid 8.
El Rata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #43629
Vagos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Vagos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 40,963
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Pretty much a 10 imo
Vagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #43630
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

In before someone links to masterofgettingeveryontheinternettobelievemy****ty argument
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #43631
Vagos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Vagos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 40,963
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

You don't have to agree with it, but I don't really see how what he wrote is a "****ty argument."
Vagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #43632
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

bc it wasn't the intended conclusion by the creator, so it's just like his opinion man?

(seeing what he wants to see, etc)

Last edited by 72off; 12-15-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: there obv is no definitive ending, that's the point, to argue otherwise is just dumb
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #43633
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE SOPRANOS FINALE

He put in a lot of work and it's interesting, but it tilts me that it's cited as the be all and end all of Soprano's analysis and a solution to a puzzle when the essay is a giant strawman. His argument is basically "If there are a lot of fatalistic motifs/symbols/themes in final season then Tony dies". Then he proceeds to outline every fatalistic element in exhausting detail. The problem is those who think Tony lived or are agnostic about the ending aren't disputing the premise that fatalistic themes existed, they are disputing the causation of his argument. The breadth of mastersofsopranos makes it an excellent piece of analysis, but the breadth doesn't eliminate his fundamental rhetorical error.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #43634
CPHoya
Warden of Taipan Island
 
CPHoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Explainocratic Party
Posts: 73,271
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut2010 View Post
Just stopping by to post that I got on 2+2 this morning solely because I wanted to watch this again.

****ing hilarious.

"Second, go to the terrible thread. . ."

Last edited by CPHoya; 12-15-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I'm pretty dumb
CPHoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #43635
digables
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
digables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: lol b league
Posts: 15,761
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

this essay?

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.co...on-of-the-end/
digables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #43636
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

**** THAT FORUM
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #43637
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge714 View Post
DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE SOPRANOS FINALE

He put in a lot of work and it's interesting, but it tilts me that it's cited as the be all and end all of Soprano's analysis and a solution to a puzzle when the essay is a giant strawman. His argument is basically "If there are a lot of fatalistic motifs/symbols/themes in final season then Tony dies". Then he proceeds to outline every fatalistic element in exhausting detail. The problem is those who think Tony lived or are agnostic about the ending aren't disputing the premise that fatalistic themes existed, they are disputing the causation of his argument. The breadth of mastersofsopranos makes it an excellent piece of analysis, but the breadth doesn't eliminate his fundamental rhetorical error.
Spoiler:


Let me ask you something, what do you think David Chase's intent was with the last scene?
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #43638
Eltbus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Eltbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CHOO CHOOOOO
Posts: 33,298
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets View Post
back to CHALLENGE discussion

9. CT dq vs brad on the duel
HOLY **** i found it and watched it. CT just bulldozes him as usual and does something dumb. LOOOOOOL that was ****ing awesome. CT is the goat
Eltbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #43639
digables
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
digables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: lol b league
Posts: 15,761
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

masterofsopranos is the ultimate tl;dr
digables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #43640
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

yeah, i finally got around to watching the dk video, that was pretty good. he should narrate a series on using the internet better
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #43641
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Sopranos ending prolly a 9, maybe an 8. I like it more as time goes by and loved it on rewatch of the series last year.

The controversial ending hides the fact that the last 8 or 10 episodes (S6P2) of that final season were incredible.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #43642
digables
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
digables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: lol b league
Posts: 15,761
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

tony obv dies, no need to explain it using 3 million words and pics
digables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #43643
CPHoya
Warden of Taipan Island
 
CPHoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Explainocratic Party
Posts: 73,271
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd View Post
**** THAT FORUM
lol.
CPHoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #43644
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by digables View Post
tony obv dies...
butnahhhhhhhhhh (obv spoilers)

Spoiler:


Quote:
...no need to explain it using 3 million words and pics
well yeah you do to "prove" something that isn't true
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #43645
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

While Alan Sepinwall is a very good TV writer, he has clung to that viewpoint for years and even deliberately misquotes some things Chase says to support it

(example: He quotes Chase saying "It's all there" to support the idea that nothing happened that we didn't see on the surface; Chase's actual quote is "It's all there if you look carefully", which seems to suggest the opposite)
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #43646
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

also depends on what the meaning of "it" is
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #43647
Noze
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Noze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A League
Posts: 25,712
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

masterofsopranos >>> all of you
Noze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #43648
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

The Sopranos is one of the great pieces of TV and media in general, that the final scene has been reduced to a puzzle because people demand closure is a little depressing to me. The irony of the quote above is that I think that Chase was attempting to curb extra-textual analysis and suggesting that one view the piece of art as it is, but it has the opposite effect where people think Chase is giving hidden clues. Chase has always been inscrutable in interviews and has shown contempt for a lot of The Sopranos audience the idea that he would give some secret clue in an interview seems out of character.

Last edited by Pudge714; 12-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #43649
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

TriumPhudge is right!
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #43650
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and The Challenge Discussion

anyone parsing anything david chase said post-sopranos, unless he explicitly explains the meaning of the ending, is losing the argument

sepinwallisright

'it's all there' is the showrunner equivalent of 'we're just taking it one game at a time'
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive