Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #41676
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Someone needs to post screencaps of his four pages of infractions, should be some good stuff in there
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #41677
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,695
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
I'm all for freeing TuT (even though he's probably found a new identity as a certain slot receiver), but that has nothing to do with dkgo.

CDL is right though - all the rape jokes here make me feel uncomfortable. WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE WOMEN WHO POAST HERE?

Or we could just get a thicker skin.
Rape jokes are not meant to be offensive. The intention isn't there. When dkgo spouts off racist **** it IS MEANT TO BE OFFENSIVE.

Kind of similar, but not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
I dont care a single bit about any of this personally as none of it adversely affects me, but the double standard is silly.

I do have a close female friend who was raped and if anyone even uses the word she freezes up and cant speak for a few minutes. The way she explained it to me once (after she had a breakdown because someone used the word) was that her coping mechanism was to completely forget it ever happened and that even tiny things like meeting someone with the same name as the guy could trigger flashbacks to the event which put her into physical shock. I have never heard of anyone having a reaction to a racist comment that is anything near this bad, but I guess its possible. There is no reason to have a double standard on this where something with lesser effects is punished and something that could actually be crippling to a person is let go.

Like I said, I am all for letting it all fly, but lol at the mods if they think racist jokes are worse than throwing out comments about rape.
Racist jokes are one thing, I love my a good racist joke, but openly posting racist **** is way worse than casual rape comments.

dkgo either needs to stop being ignorant or keep getting banned. Simple as that.

It's just so ****ing stupid too. IF YOU DON'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE THEN STOP WATCHING PRO SPORTS CAUSE THEY ARE CLEAR BETTER AT IT THAN US WHITEYS.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #41678
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledDownLight View Post
The way she explained it to me once (after she had a breakdown because someone used the word) was that her coping mechanism was to completely forget it ever happened and that even tiny things like meeting someone with the same name as the guy could trigger flashbacks to the event which put her into physical shock.
Uh, does the guy have a common name? Is it Ben? If so how does she watch TV or otherwise interact socially if she is going to have such a visceral reaction? Not making fun of her, that totally sucks, but it seems like it would come into play a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tanner View Post
DK hasn't been funny in 6 months because he's been forcing all the racist **** to get a reaction. Its stale now and its getting guys like yeota and more recently phb to say stupid racist **** for the same reason.
To be fair, if fig guy baits phb into posting enough racist things to get permabanned it will be his crowning achievement.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #41679
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeotaJMU View Post
Nobody has ever called an asian person Lucy Liu or Jackie Chan before? Gtfo

I also called this white guy Gerard Butler because he had a beard that was straight of out 300.

Lots of butt hurt.

Last edited by RT; 11-30-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Well that was odd
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #41680
nutshot2
 
nutshot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 48,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
No, but they have one for him.
nutshot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #41681
Dids
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Social Justice War Room
Posts: 60,880
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Well I'd have to see the exact quote to be sure, but if it's what mutigers poasted earlier then this is just a complete misrepresentation of what dkgo said

Intent matters. Yes dkgo makes racist comments, but he's practically never mean-spirited about it. Unless he's referring to Sham or Rivera specifically.

I didn't see the post either, but if we assume it was this:

Quote:
let those fruits be naked if they want but if there is a kid around charge them with sexual abuse of a child"
It's doing exactly what I suggest. It's mostly a bad joke and not like super vile, but it is more than just calling a gay dude a fruit. It was a thread about public nudity in San Francisco. At no point had homosexuality meaningfully come up in the conversation until dk's post.

I agree that he's not usually intentionally mean spirited- but ignorance of the impact of your post isn't exactly a defense. However, in terms of the desires and rules the site, intent really doesn't matter. If you want to post on the site, color within the lines.
Dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #41682
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dids View Post
I didn't see the post either, but if we assume it was this:



It's doing exactly what I suggest. It's mostly a bad joke and not like super vile, but it is more than just calling a gay dude a fruit. It was a thread about public nudity in San Francisco. At no point had homosexuality meaningfully come up in the conversation until dk's post.

I agree that he's not usually intentionally mean spirited- but ignorance of the impact of your post isn't exactly a defense. However, in terms of the desires and rules the site, intent really doesn't matter. If you want to post on the site, color within the lines.
lol wat

"fruit" here does not mean gay dude imo. Nor does "child" mean "boy"

Your reading comprehension is frankly terrible if that's what you got from that comment
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #41683
GusJohnsonGOAT
SESwamiGOAT
 
GusJohnsonGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,357
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Anyone who wants fig guy banned clearly has forgotten week 4 of the National Football League. Some hilarious posts include:



https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1702

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1802

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1837

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1936

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1953


And of course led to this amazing post (which ultimately led to a few day ban):

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...postcount=1971


There were other racist comments by others in that thread. 2+2 is fairly lenient on this, which is fine by me, and I think in the context, these comments are hilarious, especially when you are watching this all unfold. I think most of the time, fig guy is being racist in a context like this. I don't want him to be banned unless he is literally just going around and being racist to members on the site. In this case, him making racist remarks over people that aren't on the website in this context was quite humorous considering how Carolina completely blew the game.
GusJohnsonGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #41684
Dids
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Social Justice War Room
Posts: 60,880
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

That's not an issue of comprehension but interpretation. If you think dk used the word "fruit" in that context just to mean "freak" or something, I think you're really stretching to give him credit he doesn't deserve. Find me a similar context where "fruit" doesn't suggest homosexuality.
Dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #41685
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Uh, does the guy have a common name? Is it Ben? If so how does she watch TV or otherwise interact socially if she is going to have such a visceral reaction? Not making fun of her, that totally sucks, but it seems like it would come into play a lot.


To be fair, if fig guy baits phb into posting enough racist things to get permabanned it will be his crowning achievement.
I have no idea. She wouldn't tell me anything more specific than about how long ago it was and the very very vague details of what happened. I know she also didn't report it due to not wanting to relive it though she did go to the hospital a day or two after it happened and apparently did a lot of intense therapy. She also seemed to imply that it didn't always trigger the response, but could and she couldn't control when it did, but I really never pressed it as it came up organically when she froze up and I could tell something really bad was wrong and took her home.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #41686
Rei Ayanami
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Rei Ayanami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,695
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dids View Post
Find me a similar context where "fruit" doesn't suggest homosexuality.
in the all-too-common event that the naked people are secretly sentient fruit
Rei Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #41687
GusJohnsonGOAT
SESwamiGOAT
 
GusJohnsonGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,357
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

dk getting banned for using the word fruit is like Al Capone getting imprisoned for tax evasion.

Last edited by GusJohnsonGOAT; 11-30-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: If he basically sticks to SE and completely avoids politards, he'll be fine.
GusJohnsonGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #41688
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dids View Post
That's not an issue of comprehension but interpretation. If you think dk used the word "fruit" in that context just to mean "freak" or something, I think you're really stretching to give him credit he doesn't deserve. Find me a similar context where "fruit" doesn't suggest homosexuality.
Fruit is also slang for "strange person"

If you look at it in the context of the sentence he is clearly saying that grown adults should not be naked around children and should be arrested if they are.

OMG HOMOPHOBIA
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #41689
metsandfinsfan
banned
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 156,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
lol wat

"fruit" here does not mean gay dude imo. Nor does "child" mean "boy"

Your reading comprehension is frankly terrible if that's what you got from that comment
Shark is correct

Mods are reading into it cause of anti jackets bias


Look chill thinks he deserved the ban; doesn't that mean it's wrong?
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #41690
Das Boot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Das Boot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: where have you gone, landon donovan
Posts: 20,196
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

SS is usually dead-on, not sure what exactly is going on here.
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #41691
Dids
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Social Justice War Room
Posts: 60,880
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Fruit is also slang for "strange person"
No, it's really not. Only inasmuch as "strange person" implies homosexuality. At it's root, when the term is used as an insult- it's implicitly homophobic.

(and I have no anti-jacket's bias, I wish he wasn't such a bigot, but he's hilarious and I wish he'd stop getting himself banned.)
Dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #41692
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fruit
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #41693
Booker Wolfbox
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Booker Wolfbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio State Compliance Dept
Posts: 34,548
This thread has turned into ATF crossed with politards plus a dash of extra AIDS.
Booker Wolfbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #41694
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Boot View Post
SS is usually dead-on, not sure what exactly is going on here.
Just standing up for the oppressed classes by giving a voice to the voiceless imo
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #41695
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeotaJMU View Post
Nobody has ever called an asian person Lucy Liu or Jackie Chan before? Gtfo

I also called this white guy Gerard Butler because he had a beard that was straight of out 300.

Lots of butt hurt.
this is a honest question

do you not have friends to tell you how much of a ****ing douchebag you come across as when you go up to Asian girls and speak fake Mandarin and call them Lucy Liu?

i mean what did you expect the response to be ITT when you posted that story? "LOL good one yeota you sure showed those slanty-eyed bitches" or something like that? are you just that clueless as to how your actions are perceived?

unlike dkgo, who knows exactly what he's saying and what reactions it will cause, i get the sense that you're legitimately baffled by the unanimously negative responses you've received.
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #41696
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

as for dkgo, it's not hard to avoid breaking forum rules on racism when you've been repeatedly asked to stop with the racism. if he chooses to continue with it and gets perma'd, it's on him and no one else. completely up to him.
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #41697
mutigers
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mutigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 37,178
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

fruit isn't really a word applied to gay people because they are gay, it applies to the super flamboyant people. It's pretty clear to me that if you are a walking around in public in the nude you are a huge attention whore. The whole nudist ban discussion came up because there were a well known group of naked men (who happened to be gay) who were regularly standing around these businesses and lo and behold they lost some business because most people don't enjoy looking at ugly naked americans. . Using fruit in that context is not much different than making fun of goths or hipsters to me. Admittedly it gets murky because when people call their friends fruits it implies gayness. But that's because it's pretty obvious there is a higher percentage of flamboyant gays than flamboyant straight people.
mutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #41698
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
as for dkgo, it's not hard to avoid breaking forum rules on racism when you've been repeatedly asked to stop with the racism. if he chooses to continue with it and gets perma'd, it's on him and no one else. completely up to him.
Agreed. As much as I'll defend the guy it's clear that the mods can't just let open rulebreaking slide all the time.

Unfortunately "stop whining" isn't a rule
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #41699
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutigers5591 View Post
fruit isn't really a word applied to gay people because they are gay, it applies to the super flamboyant people. It's pretty clear to me that if you are a walking around in public in the nude you are a huge attention whore. The whole nudist ban discussion came up because there were a well known group of naked men (who happened to be gay) who were regularly standing around these businesses and lo and behold they lost some business because most people don't enjoy looking at ugly naked americans. . Using fruit in that context is not much different than making fun of goths or hipsters to me.
Yeah I'm probably wrong then. lol.
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #41700
mutigers
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mutigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 37,178
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Holiday Discussion

I don't see how that changes much. How many straight men do you really expect to walk around naked in San Fransisco.


anyway I'll drop it, it's really not a big deal and noone cares I'm sure.
mutigers is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive