Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #34201
Karak
ELIte
 
Karak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 62,729
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #34202
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
I mean I don't think it's a stretch to say that a bunch of guys engaging in a videotaped gangbang of their married public school teacher as a senior in HS probably have some sort of issues.

Maybe I'm just a prude.
Meh, I suspect you'd think anyone involved in a gangbang has issues, regardless of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
5 years is excessive but I don't find it ridiculous at all for a high school teacher to go to prison for sleeping with a current student
I think once they are 18, especially if clearly no force or coercion was used, no way should prison be a risk. Losing ones job? Certainly. She shouldn't be a high school teacher. But prison is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyenimator View Post
5 years is perfectly fine
The damage her 3 kids will suffer from 5 years with no mother is infinitely greater than the zero damage the men she had sex with suffered.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #34203
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

situations are situational with regard to how much prison time the offender should get, obv. but i definitely think sleeping with someone who's currently your high school student is a criminal offense.

the "think of her kids" argument shouldn't be relevant imo. the fact you've reproduced at some point in your life doesn't change the severity of the crime.
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #34204
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
situations are situational with regard to how much prison time the offender should get, obv. but i definitely think sleeping with someone who's currently your high school student is a criminal offense.
Since we're talking about students who are of age, this line of thinking seems to suggest to me that having sex with one's subordinates in any capacity would be a criminal offense. That's pretty absurd. EDIT: How about college professors tapping 18 year old freshmen? Prison time there, too?
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #34205
dkgojackets
DKGOAT
 
dkgojackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86,128
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

a student is not a "subordinate" to a teacher like a worker is to their boss. at all.
dkgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #34206
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
situations are situational with regard to how much prison time the offender should get, obv. but i definitely think sleeping with someone who's currently your high school student is a criminal offense.

the "think of her kids" argument shouldn't be relevant imo. the fact you've reproduced at some point in your life doesn't change the severity of the crime.
How is it criminial. Only criminal if it's rape. It's a terminable offense in terms of work, sure. But GTFO its criminal. It's only sex. These same kids vote and go to the military, but people go to JAIL for FIVE YEARS for having consentual sex with them? It's barbaric.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #34207
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets View Post
a student is not a "subordinate" to a teacher like a worker is to their boss. at all.
I'd agree, the teacher almost certainly has less leverage than the boss.
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #34208
Hold'em 07
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hold'em 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,312
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

lol texas. end of story
Hold'em 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #34209
Dids
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Social Justice War Room
Posts: 60,880
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

5 years for obviously consensual sex between adults is just ****ing stupid. I'd fire the **** out of the teacher and make sure she never taught again, but that's shouldn't be criminal.
Dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #34210
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,447
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets View Post
a student is not a "subordinate" to a teacher like a worker is to their boss. at all.
this, good god

a teacher should absolutely be jailed for this, 18 or not
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #34211
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,447
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Imagine this situation but with a male teacher and female students...would people still be up in arms over this prison sentence?
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #34212
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22 View Post
Imagine this situation but with a male teacher and female students...would people still be up in arms over this prison sentence?
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #34213
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

if they're 18 and it's consensual? like dids said, adults shouldn't go to prison for having consensual sex. now what people tend to assume if a male teacher sleeps with a female student is that there is some level of coercion because of the natural inequality in the relationship. i'm willing to grant that, but what is the purpose of sending someone to prison in these instances?

teachers shouldn't sleep with students, period, but if the sex is otherwise legal they shouldn't go to prison for it.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #34214
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,447
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
lol thanks for the reminder.

flags at half mast today, gents.
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #34215
Shark Sandwich
1-2-teddied
 
Shark Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,503
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22 View Post
Imagine this situation but with a male teacher and female students...would people still be up in arms over this prison sentence?
This happened at my school (only one student, no gangbangs). They ****canned his ass fast but those two dated for years. Hell, they might still be dating. No prison sentences passed down.
Shark Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #34216
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22 View Post
Imagine this situation but with a male teacher and female students...would people still be up in arms over this prison sentence?
Maybe some wouldn't, but that doesn't actually change anything. It seems to me like 18 years old is the bright line for sexual activity; I don't see that there's anything about high school (other than an ick factor) that changes the calculus criminally. Do you think a college professor should be spending 5 years in jail for boning an 18 year old freshman?

EDIT:

Quote:
teachers shouldn't sleep with students, period, but if the sex is otherwise legal they shouldn't go to prison for it.
Given that the "lol prison" is already apparently controversial I'm sure this will be unpopular, but honestly, I don't even see anything inherently immoral in teachers sleeping with students who've reached majority. It is obviously a relationship with a lot of potential for abuse, and it's a cover your ass nightmare for schools, but I can at least imagine relationships of this sort that are perfectly fine. Maybe you can make an argument a la negligence where these sorts of things sour so easily and predictably that it's wrong to engage, but I feel like that's a little more nuanced than people usually are in these discussions.

Last edited by gumpzilla; 08-23-2012 at 01:58 PM.
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #34217
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,447
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Triumph, when your career and livelihood is educating young people and being paid by the taxpayers to do so in a public school, and parents are trusting these educators with their children, it should absolutely be illegal to have sex with said students.

The college freshmen argument is dumb because there's obviously a huge difference between a college and a public high school
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #34218
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,447
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

I mean this law makes so much sense from the general public's point of view that it isn't even funny. Do you want a teacher going at it with your child? No, no parent does. Should any teacher be able to use their position of authority to involve themselves sexually with a student? No...if you are interested in boning 18-year-olds then you shouldn't even be a teacher in the first place. Now Texas clearly took this to a pretty large extreme, maybe 5 years is a little much. But this law is probably mostly in place to prevent this thing from occurring int eh first place, and the law 100% makes sense.
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #34219
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Who exactly does a parent want going at it with their 18 year old at all?

Nobody is debating <18, and nobody is debating the propriety of firing the teacher (even given my last edit I think that's a no-brainer.) That last one seems like a pretty huge disincentive already.

EDIT:

Quote:
The college freshmen argument is dumb because there's obviously a huge difference between a college and a public high school
Yes, one is a college and one is a high school. A hearty LOL at the idea that there's some huge maturity gain in the intervening few months. If your argument still comes down to "public servants shouldn't be banging kids," that applies to a large swath of colleges as well, and both are still easily punishable by canning the teacher.
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #34220
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu_22 View Post
Triumph, when your career and livelihood is educating young people and being paid by the taxpayers to do so in a public school, and parents are trusting these educators with their children, it should absolutely be illegal to have sex with said students.
Okay, but at 18, students don't even have to be living with their parents - they could be legally emancipated. I understand that it's a position of public trust, and that's why the teacher would be fired and barred from working in any public school. But to make her a felon (I assume it's a felony for 5 years)? She'll be lucky to get a job doing anything when she comes out, and have lost 5 years of her life, and that's ridiculous.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #34221
Ray Horton
banned
 
Ray Horton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: how far we done fell
Posts: 26,879
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Ray Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #34222
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

I'm with Clark on this one, and I understand WHY it's illegal. It just SHOULDN'T. Totally fireable offense, but 5 years for consensual sex just is sad
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #34223
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Then again, Texas also has this guy as a judge.





http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/08/22/t...ma-re-elected/
I learned today that he's not a real judge, he's like a county chair.

Lol Texas stands though.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #34224
nutshot2
 
nutshot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 48,746
Lol FAQ thread

Let Cl.ark and K.a.r.a.k drag y'all into a political discussion, well done
nutshot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #34225
Karak
ELIte
 
Karak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 62,729
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshot2 View Post
Lol FAQ thread

Let Cl.ark and K.a.r.a.k drag y'all into a political discussion, well done
Spoiler:
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive