Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #27176
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
i've seen this argument on 2+2 before and it's lol wrong. fantasy football is the most popular fantasy sport in the us because football is the most popular sport. same with gambling. gambling on sports existed long before football and fantasy prob started with baseball although no fantasy sport was popular before the internet. then fantasy football and baseball gained a ton of popularity at the same time (with basically every other sport ever invented soon to follow) but football reigned as the fantasy king because it was already the number 1 sport in america.

the internet in general and fantasy sports is prob somewhat responsible for its current level of extreme popularity but the same thing would have happened to baseball or basketball or even soccer if one of them had been the #1 sport when the internet changed the world. i just don't understand why people think fantasy and gambling only exist for football and therefore explain its popularity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
this. football's popularity is in part because it requires very little fan commitment. i do think the spread and the fact that people bet all the games helps/helped, but it would still be #1 regardless.
I mean, I don't know that I agree with what Phildo is saying but maybe I'm thinking the same thing in a different way. I think the sport drove the popularity of betting and fantasy, which then became popular in their own right and helped drive the sport.

Baseball would never have the same. Too many games, too much time. Betting on baseball is confusing. People don't get +140/-160. They understand +3pts.

But in the end it's the fact that it's weekly only and easy to follow that help football the most (aside from the actual product). It's *part* of why soccer is so huge overseas too imo. Once a week is great.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #27177
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,789
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

ya fantasy did not make football popular. it made it as way moar popular.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #27178
Booker Woodfox
Pooh-Bah
 
Booker Woodfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ohio State compliance dept
Posts: 5,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeljks View Post
who here has done a fantasy league by hand
Me. Ty al Jesus gore for the internets.
Booker Woodfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #27179
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOsis View Post
Has anyone used hbo go on a droid. My cable and internet are out and I'm getting heated up with no GoT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayz View Post
yes
I got all tingly for a second and then realized you are talking phones not tablets. HBO Go isn't out yet for droid tablets afaik.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #27180
Karak
ELIte
 
Karak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 62,729
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim17 View Post
nm --

Found the entire thing here:

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2012/04/...-eminem-tupac/

Unreal good so far.
this is awesome
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #27181
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
I mean, I don't know that I agree with what Phildo is saying but maybe I'm thinking the same thing in a different way. I think the sport drove the popularity of betting and fantasy, which then became popular in their own right and helped drive the sport.

Baseball would never have the same. Too many games, too much time. Betting on baseball is confusing. People don't get +140/-160. They understand +3pts.

But in the end it's the fact that it's weekly only and easy to follow that help football the most (aside from the actual product). It's *part* of why soccer is so huge overseas too imo. Once a week is great.
yeah that's fair but it's pretty much the same reason football was more popular than baseball and basketball before the internet/fantasy explosion too. they just magnified it.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #27182
schu_22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
schu_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: One yard
Posts: 38,442
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

I find that I have waaaay more fun playing my fantasy baseball rotisserie league than I do fantasy football. I don't even like baseball really, but its just a really fun daily sweat to see how your pitchers did in their starts today, how many RBIs did my team rack up so I can move up a spot in that category, who got injured, etc. There's not much waiting involved like in football where its Sunday/Monday and then you have 6 days to sit there and do nothing.
schu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #27183
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeljks View Post
who here has done a fantasy league by hand
I mean it was like 15 years ago but I have
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #27184
SchererBoy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SchererBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,215
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim17 View Post
nm --

Found the entire thing here:

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2012/04/...-eminem-tupac/

Unreal good so far.
thanks for linking that.

probably the greatest thing i've ever seen.
SchererBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #27185
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

pretty much everybody that has played by hand did it 15 years ago
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #27186
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
yeah that's fair but it's pretty much the same reason football was more popular than baseball and basketball before the internet/fantasy explosion too. they just magnified it.
That's basically my stance for sure.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #27187
Karak
ELIte
 
Karak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 62,729
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
pretty much everybody that has played by hand did it 15 years ago
my father, who is in his late 60s, says he and his friends used to do fantasy baseball (although they didn't call it that) when they were in the army (late 1960s). Each would pick 5 players at the beginning of the week and then track their stats in the papers. Rudimentary scoring system he doesn't remember... but something like a really raw roto: highest BA got 5 points, lowest BA got 1 point, highest HR got 5 points, lowest HR got 1 point, etc.
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #27188
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

well yeah i should have said 15 years ago or more; it's been around for at least 50 years. your dad was a pioneering nerd.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #27189
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
my father, who is in his late 60s, says he and his friends used to do fantasy baseball (although they didn't call it that) when they were in the army (late 1960s). Each would pick 5 players at the beginning of the week and then track their stats in the papers. Rudimentary scoring system he doesn't remember... but something like a really raw roto: highest BA got 5 points, lowest BA got 1 point, highest HR got 5 points, lowest HR got 1 point, etc.
the real question is did they enjoy rotisserie chicken
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #27190
Bidz
Hurts so good
 
Bidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: paragliding over Torrey Pines
Posts: 24,306
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim17 View Post
so so good
Bidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #27191
g-bebe
because robots are strong
 
g-bebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20,733
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white
g-bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #27192
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 22,021
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

claim: most people like football because of x, y and z

phildo: that's not true, football is very popular
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #27193
dkgojackets
DKGOAT
 
dkgojackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86,128
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketChads View Post
claim: most people like football because of x, y and z

phildo: no most people like x, y, and z because they like football
.
dkgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #27194
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 22,021
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

i'm sure that's what he tried to say, but it's not what he did say
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #27195
WaterWalker
Pooh-Bah
 
WaterWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whats this?...A Roll of Quarters?
Posts: 3,901
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Just watching the ESPN 30/30: Cubs/Bartman edition.

IMO: not bartmans fault, ldo. They still scored 8 fricken runs after that situation. If Alou doesn't react like that; this turns into a typical, everyday blown game.

Free Bartman.
WaterWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #27196
WaterWalker
Pooh-Bah
 
WaterWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whats this?...A Roll of Quarters?
Posts: 3,901
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

I'm guessing Bartman now where's contact lenses, white v neck shirts and ear buds.
WaterWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #27197
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketChads View Post
claim: most people like football because of x, y and z

phildo: that's not true, football is very popular
Claim: Most people like gambling because of football

PocketChads: Thats not true, gambling is very popular
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #27198
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

my mistake was misinterpreting victor's post. everyone else seems to have understood what i meant though.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #27199
anononon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

claim: most people like football because of gambling
pocketchads: where's the beer you fdafjgbfsklg
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #27200
sethypooh21
Make or Miss League
 
sethypooh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nylon Calculus etc.
Posts: 47,038
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
claim: most people like football because of gambling
pocketchads: where's the beer you fdafjgbfsklg
This is the objectively correct position, is it not?
sethypooh21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive