Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #27126
dkgojackets
DKGOAT
 
dkgojackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86,128
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
NASCAR is ****ing aids, just awful. The only excuse to watch it is drinking all Sunday, in which case you should be watching the NFL.
thanks for confirming nascar as elite

do me a favor and predict wins for kyle busch each week
dkgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #27127
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

fig guy subsists on a diet of mcdonalds and likes nascar. way to play up to stereotypes
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #27128
Krayz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Krayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 47,277
NASCAR is the ultimate thing to watch if you have 4 hours on a Sunday and just want to chill and watch some good ****.
Krayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #27129
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,141
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

lol @ cars turning left as a reason to drink all day!
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #27130
Riverman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Riverman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 73,137
Socially acceptable in bible belt tho
Riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #27131
Debo9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Debo9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: first LOL Steeler thread starter
Posts: 9,152
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

You've been invited!

What: NFL Mock draft over Skype

When: Wednesday the 18th, at 8 or 9 PM EST

Where: Skype

Why: Cause stone cold said so
Debo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #27132
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

NASCAR is pretty crazy. I don't like watching it, and perhaps I just don't really understands all the intricacies and strategy. Its kind of funny that people pick a driver and support them like crazy and root for them to win. People wearing Tony Stewart gear crack me up.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #27133
kp1022
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,219
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

This was posted in the european soccer thread, some food for thought imo



To the americans/'lol soccer' crowd itt: I suggest giving this week's champions league semifinal games (tues+wed) a watch. Also Barcelona v Real Madrid this weekend. For those who wanna only be watching top of the line teams, this weeks matches are it.

If you can only get around to watching 1 team/game, barca is the team to watch.

Last edited by kp1022; 04-15-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fwiw i'm american too, so listen to me dagnamit
kp1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #27134
sethypooh21
Make or Miss League
 
sethypooh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nylon Calculus etc.
Posts: 47,038
I don't agree that Barca is the best team to watch if you are completely new to watching soccer. If you don't really know what you're looking at, they can probably be fairly boring punctuated by some moments of greatness. I think the Bayern/Real matchup is likely to be far more exiting to casualfan of the Champions League games.

That said, the Barca-Real matchup next weekend has all sorts of epic potential.
sethypooh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #27135
kp1022
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,219
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

"Barca is the team to watch" was more just alluding to their status as the GOAT.

And yeah I see your point; guess it depends on preference tho. For me, even as a total soccer noob several years ago I was drawn to the way Barca play(ed). Intricate passing/movement, skill>>>>physicality, all that good stuff is what I enjoy. IMO usually if a Barca game is "boring," its because of the other team's ultra-defensive tactics.

For people who like a more balls-to-the-wall/'hit 'n hope' style that the EPL is known for, I agree teams like Real Madrid/Chelsea/etc will probably be a more "exciting" viewing.
kp1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #27136
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Bayern-Madrid will be pretty fun to watch because both teams will like to play quick and attack down the wings. Some good wingers and strikers on those teams, so it should be a fast game.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #27137
ToTheInternet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,883
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

The fun of watching NASCAR seems analogous to that of watching the status bar of a torrent you've waited months for as it approaches 100%.
ToTheInternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #27138
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

PSA: Unless you just hate hate hate being scared even a little, go see Cabin in the Woods, and know as little as possible when you do so. It has moments of brilliance that are so good, it'd be a shame to miss them.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #27139
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Not to ruin Clark's recommendation, but I too, like Cabin in the Woods.

Last edited by Pudge714; 04-16-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I even smiled once during it
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #27140
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

How good is the speakerphone bit?

Last edited by ClarkNasty; 04-16-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: GOAT or just GOATish?
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #27141
Green Kool Aid
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Green Kool Aid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,901
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheInternet View Post
The fun of watching NASCAR seems analogous to that of watching the status bar of a torrent you've waited months for as it approaches 100%.
Or downloading MP3s on 28k modem in the 90's?
Green Kool Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #27142
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,937
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1022 View Post
This was posted in the european soccer thread, some food for thought imo



To the americans/'lol soccer' crowd itt: I suggest giving this week's champions league semifinal games (tues+wed) a watch. Also Barcelona v Real Madrid this weekend. For those who wanna only be watching top of the line teams, this weeks matches are it.

If you can only get around to watching 1 team/game, barca is the team to watch.
Cool video, but his case is basically, "Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand it" and I'm thinking that's really wrong.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #27143
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tanner View Post
Cool video, but his case is basically, "Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand it" and I'm thinking that's really wrong.
The video is pretty stupid. Most fans of the NFL probably just like it for the hits and big plays.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #27144
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Clark,
I'd forgotten about the the speakerphone bit because of all the craziness in the last half hour. That was a highlight along with the
Spoiler:


Richard Jenkins is such a good actor.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #27145
kp1022
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,219
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tanner View Post
Cool video, but his case is basically, "Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand it" and I'm thinking that's really wrong.
Not exactly imo. I mean there's always gonna be people who don't like it regardless, but iyam the TV product of american sports(NFL, MLB etc) is on another level when compared to the way soccer is put out. I do think there's merit to the thought that most people don't recognize the little things in a game until they're pointed out.

For example nowadays during NFL season on sundays everyone and their uncle are armchair-offensive coordinators and whatnot; I don't think the average casual fan was as educated on/aware of some of the finer points of their sport(s) maybe 10-15+ years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSaltCracka View Post
The video is pretty stupid. Most fans of the NFL probably just like it for the hits and big plays.
Well yeah the average drooler is probably like this, but just look at this forum for example- lots of appetite for discussion and analysis beyond just 1st level stuff out there and it only increases with more awareness of details. Not saying I agreed with everything in the vid to the extent that he frames it, but there's some nuggets of truth in there imo.
kp1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #27146
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,792
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSaltCracka View Post
The video is pretty stupid. Most fans of the NFL probably just like it for the hits and big plays.
no moast nfl fans like it bc of fantasy gambling and tribalism
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #27147
Henrik Sedin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henrik Sedin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: assisting your goals
Posts: 17,915
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
no moast nfl fans like it bc of fantasy gambling and tribalism
plus real gambling

and drinking on Sunday instead of church

or after church, whatever...
Henrik Sedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #27148
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,792
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

comma understood
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #27149
SirOsis
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SirOsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cowboy territory with no sheriff
Posts: 29,516
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

Has anyone used hbo go on a droid. My cable and internet are out and I'm getting heated up with no GoT.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #27150
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: SE FAQ, Liveblog and Forum Discussion

youtube.com/coachella
live stream of dre. and snoops set
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive