Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #6126
BASaint
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BASaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: round headed buffoon
Posts: 14,826
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
didn't khan do this fight for uk tv? What was his comments?
He was critical of Pac all thru the fight and pretty much sounded resigned to defeat (hes a friend of Pac as im sure u know since u asked this question).

Cant remember him giving a score but judging from the tone of his voice he was pretty sure that Pac lost.
BASaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #6127
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzBeALevel View Post
He was offering to fight Marquez next during the 12th round anticipating his victory.
if even he thought marquez had won...
also compare the after fight celebrations where pac in their previous fights raised his arms.. now he looked about as beat as anyone i ever saw.

I'm mad. Yep. Just feels like corruption when a judge gives 8/11 first rounds and there is no way you can justify that.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #6128
trippy
old hand
 
trippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,355
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

One thing that surprised me was JMM was able to handle Manny's power. After Manny was basically beating the crap out of fighters much bigger than him and JMM, and after knocking down JMM 4 times in lower weight classes, I would have thought that Pac just had too much power for him this time around (like most people did).

After seeing that is can handle Manny's power, I think JMM is so skillful that he would do pretty well at 140 or 147. Then again, he is 38, so probably not. I think he could beat Berto though.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #6129
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb5008 View Post
I never gave Pacquiao a chance against Floyd. Why would this change your mind? He had done the same if not worse vs Marquez in the first two and everyone proclaimed him to be King and Pound for Pound and whatnot. What changes with today's third similar showing?
well, as you may be aware, peoples main argument about pac suddenly being a top10 (or even the greatest) fighter of all time is that hes such an evolved fighter by now compared to 3 years ago.

Thats obviously absolute horse****, and this fight proves hes more or less had extremely favorable style matchups.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #6130
EddiePlaysO8
grinder
 
EddiePlaysO8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 651
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I was dead wrong on how this fight was going to be.

I think a lot of boxing scoring is based on aggression. Maybe the judges gave points to Pac because he was moving forward a lot. Marquez had good counters, but maybe that worked against him. If they had the Canadian judge scoring (from their first fight), maybe JMM would have gotten one scorecard.

I may be biased, but I thought this was close enough to go either way. I'm glad it went the way I wanted it to.

OT: shocked by the JDS v Cain fight. I guess with the smaller gloves and less padding, those shots that clip behind the head can have a large impact on stability. Damn.
EddiePlaysO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #6131
BRm34eva
adept
 
BRm34eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 922
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymc1 View Post
lol Steve Bunce is crazy.

no need for billionaires when there is Filipino gamblers to please.
"Filipino gamblers are a large asset to Las Vegas. I am not surprised Manny won".
BRm34eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #6132
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
One thing that surprised me was JMM was able to handle Manny's power. After Manny was basically beating the crap out of fighters much bigger than him and JMM, and after knocking down JMM 4 times in lower weight classes, I would have thought that Pac just had too much power for him this time around (like most people did).

After seeing that is can handle Manny's power, I think JMM is so skillful that he would do pretty well at 140 or 147. Then again, he is 38, so probably not. I think he could beat Berto though.
it's more like he could handle mannys speed, which the others couldn't.

he didn't really get hit clean much, so it wasn't much power to deal with.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #6133
Ce1ska
banned
 
Ce1ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 'MERICA
Posts: 4,598
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Marquez: I felt Pacquiao was stronger in the first two fights. He was not that strong at this weight.
Marquez saying he might retire =( they stole the kids heart
Ce1ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #6134
trippy
old hand
 
trippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,355
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
no matter what you think about the result of this fight, does anyone still give manny a good shot at beating mayweather?
I had Pac winning, but after seeing the Shane and JMM fight, I think Floyd beats Pac.

Pac just isn't the same offensive machine he used to be. Where were the combinations the last two fights? Seems to me that Pac is trying to be "smarter" and by smarter, I mean less aggressive.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #6135
webb5008
enthusiast
 
webb5008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 94
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
well, as you may be aware, peoples main argument about pac suddenly being a top10 (or even the greatest) fighter of all time is that hes such an evolved fighter by now compared to 3 years ago.

Thats obviously absolute horse****, and this fight proves hes more or less had extremely favorable style matchups.
I tend to agree. I think he fought alot of favorable opponents (in terms of them being old or coming off losses...)
webb5008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #6136
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool
he didn't really get hit clean much, so it wasn't much power to deal with.






JMM took a few really solid shots from Pac and did ok for the most part.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #6137
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

the biggest boxingforum been crashed since the fight ended..lol.

i promise to resume my hateful spamming there once it's back it. Bare with me.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #6138
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb5008 View Post
I tend to agree. I think he fought alot of favorable opponents (in terms of them being old or coming off losses...)
Also, when you're really good, you tend to make your opponents look bad (see: Mayweather, Floyd/Pacquiao, Manny).
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #6139
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

rt,

those pictures pretty much proves my point. if the best shots to be found is two leadrights from a sp, and one straight left who hits on the temple, thats not a whole lot to argue about.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #6140
Ce1ska
banned
 
Ce1ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 'MERICA
Posts: 4,598
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddiePlaysO8 View Post
I was dead wrong on how this fight was going to be.

I think a lot of boxing scoring is based on aggression. Maybe the judges gave points to Pac because he was moving forward a lot. Marquez had good counters, but maybe that worked against him.

Has more to do with who they want to win, if JMM wins he prob. calls it a career and the Mayweather-Pac match never happens and they lose out on millions and boxing goes back to sucking balls.
Ce1ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #6141
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tanner View Post
Also, when you're really good, you tend to make your opponents look bad (see: Mayweather, Floyd/Pacquiao, Manny).
look at how marquez moves compared to margarito, clottey, current mosley, cotto tho.

they are there to be hit all the time, where as jmm is very hard to hit.

i think pac is mostly the same fighter he was when he fought jmm the second time. He just can't handle counterpunchers who can move well.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #6142
Ce1ska
banned
 
Ce1ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 'MERICA
Posts: 4,598
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
I had Pac winning, but after seeing the Shane and JMM fight, I think Floyd beats Pac.

Pac just isn't the same offensive machine he used to be. Where were the combinations the last two fights? Seems to me that Pac is trying to be "smarter" and by smarter, I mean less aggressive.

Yeah, this is why Nacho thought they would have a better shot at beating him this time around. Have never been a PBF fan but can't wit for Manny to lose.
Ce1ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #6143
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
look at how marquez moves compared to margarito, clottey, current mosley, cotto tho.

they are there to be hit all the time, where as jmm is very hard to hit.
Right, but those guys are all reasonably top flight fighters and guys like Manny and Floyd make them look dumb. There are obviously going to be issues on every fighters resume, but the best guys make most others look outclassed (mostly because they are).

Quote:
i think pac is mostly the same fighter he was when he fought jmm the second time. He just can't handle counterpunchers who can move well.
Maybe, or maybe his heart wasn't in this fight (he's dealing with a ton of serious distractions and it may be time for him to *gasp* retire). I have no idea, but regardless, the idea that Manny was fighting a bunch of nobodies/worthless fighters is off base, Manny was just way better than those guys.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #6144
trippy
old hand
 
trippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,355
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Manny was very serious about this fight, trained hard, said this fight was "personal", etc.

He is just tailor made for JMM style-wise. JMM has his number even if he doesn't have the wins to show for it.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #6145
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tanner View Post
Right, but those guys are all reasonably top flight fighters and guys like Manny and Floyd make them look dumb. There are obviously going to be issues on every fighters resume, but the best guys make most others look outclassed (mostly because they are).
And they all share the same traits which makes them stylistically very easy for manny.

Quote:
Maybe, or maybe his heart wasn't in this fight (he's dealing with a ton of serious distractions and it may be time for him to *gasp* retire). I have no idea, but regardless, the idea that Manny was fighting a bunch of nobodies/worthless fighters is off base, Manny was just way better than those guys.
yeah if he wasn't motivated for this fight he should definitely retire.

i never said hes fighting worthless fighters. Read please. I'm saying they are too stationary and slow to deal with pac, rather than pac being this evolved superboxer all of a sudden.
Hes the same fighter mostly as he was when he turned 30. Big Shock.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #6146
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #6147
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post


i never said hes fighting worthless fighters. Read please. I'm saying they are too stationary and slow to deal with pac, rather than pac being this evolved superboxer all of a sudden.
You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
Thats obviously absolute horse****, and this fight proves hes more or less had extremely favorable style matchups.
Manny fought the guys at the top of his division (with one obvious exception). I get that you're saying those guys match up well with him (and I don't disagree) but the implication is that he's only fighting easy fights. That's the part that's off. He's fighting whomever is out there, it's not on him that there are relatively few people that can stand up to him toe-to-toe.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #6148
RT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42,933
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Jesus that Pink card might have scored every round wrong.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #6149
trippy
old hand
 
trippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,355
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Pink scorecard is bad. Have to watch the fight again, but a lot of those rounds should be flip flopped.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #6150
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

yeah, stylistically easy fights. Nowhere am i saying hes not fighting good fighters. I know exactly how the ww division looked like at the time and who was ranked at what spot.

did i say "it's on him"? I said hes the same fighter as he was in 08. And hes not the greatest of all time, or that his run at 147 (or catchweights there around) makes him some superfighter.

Hes the same. A very good fighter, one of the best of his generation (possibly the best, but i doubt it). But hes not what hes hyped up to be post oscar fight.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive