Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #4926
Geddy Lee
Good Ol' Canadian Boy
 
Geddy Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Obi-Sean, you're our only hope
Posts: 25,361
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo View Post
I'm not sure Khan could provide Bradley a big enough payday yet for him to risk taking an almost guaranteed lopsided beating.
Well he's not gonna find a better alternative at 140 than Khan; the Bradley-Alexander fight at the Silverdome was a massive financial disaster.
Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #4927
Palo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Palo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,564
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
Well he's not gonna find a better alternative at 140 than Khan; the Bradley-Alexander fight at the Silverdome was a massive financial disaster.
I agree Bradley doesn't draw crowds and doesn't make much or deserve to make much. He's only 27 though and it seems a bit early to take a paycheck from Khan when he's got very little chance to win. Clearly, any fighter should be eager to take an ass whipping from Floyd or Manny for what would be by far the biggest paycheck they'll ever see in their life. I'm just not sure Khan can provide a big enough paycheck at this point in his career to make it worth Bradley losing his undefeated status and titles. If Khan moves up to welter which should happen soon and Bradley can unify the 140 division which he's got a real chance to do then he could potentially land a huge fight with Floyd or Manny in a couple years and by then Manny and Floyd may be fading and slightly vulnerable. Manny's been in so many wars that he's now at the age where he could literally go from the best fighter in the world to completely shot overnight if his brain starts falling apart.
Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #4928
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)



some behind the scenes type of promovid for ortiz may
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #4929
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo View Post
I agree Bradley doesn't draw crowds and doesn't make much or deserve to make much. He's only 27 though and it seems a bit early to take a paycheck from Khan when he's got very little chance to win. Clearly, any fighter should be eager to take an ass whipping from Floyd or Manny for what would be by far the biggest paycheck they'll ever see in their life. I'm just not sure Khan can provide a big enough paycheck at this point in his career to make it worth Bradley losing his undefeated status and titles. If Khan moves up to welter which should happen soon and Bradley can unify the 140 division which he's got a real chance to do then he could potentially land a huge fight with Floyd or Manny in a couple years and by then Manny and Floyd may be fading and slightly vulnerable. Manny's been in so many wars that he's now at the age where he could literally go from the best fighter in the world to completely shot overnight if his brain starts falling apart.

bradley would kick khan's azz. if they fight, i am taking all bets.

also, putting khan in against mayweather would be leading a sheep to slaughter. he would take a horrific beating.
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #4930
Geddy Lee
Good Ol' Canadian Boy
 
Geddy Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Obi-Sean, you're our only hope
Posts: 25,361
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
bradley would kick khan's azz. if they fight, i am taking all bets.
Look me up if it happens, even though I can't provide any serious baller action.
Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #4931
GaaTT
centurion
 
GaaTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dublin, Eire
Posts: 178
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Great performance by Kahn, he made it look easy and a different class.

I am not suprised that the low moral Judah didn't get back up and tried to cheat himself out of the situation. I haven't actually seen too many standing 8 counts in my time of following boxing, but I do have it in good faith that for it to be classed as a standing 8, the fighter actually do have to stand on his legs, and not lie on the deck being counted out, looking for a cowardly way out.

Although I highly respected, regarded and actually quite liked Judah's boxing skills earlier in his career, that doesn't count for anything now. I will not watch another fight with the tosser again!

Low blow...... **** off!!
GaaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #4932
SnotBoogy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SnotBoogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: trying to make fetch happen
Posts: 7,694
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

FNF could be good tonight
SnotBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #4933
Autocratic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,276
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogy View Post
FNF could be good tonight
+1, looking forward to the main event.
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #4934
SnotBoogy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SnotBoogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: trying to make fetch happen
Posts: 7,694
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

weird ending to first fight
SnotBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #4935
hoyasnaxa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Beijing
Posts: 4,462
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Badou Jack looked pretty good.
hoyasnaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #4936
Autocratic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,276
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogy View Post
weird ending to first fight
Kinda disagreed with the Atlas analysis on the low blow there. When you're a known dirty fighter, and you throw 2 early, you're just crying wolf when you complain about the third.
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #4937
SnotBoogy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SnotBoogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: trying to make fetch happen
Posts: 7,694
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I agree auto
SnotBoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #4938
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Pac vs Floyd happening in may 2012 according to pac
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/329556...s-floyd-jr-may

Bob arum says theres no more obstacles. They accept the testing.
http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/104034.html

Anyone believe this **** this time around?

Wake me up when the fight is signed.
Think i heard Bob say the same thing last summer.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #4939
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I've been saying to my mates that Manny and Floyd will get it on early 2012. I've somehow convinced myself of this for a few months now and then when I heard Mayweather at the Ortiz press conference it made me even more confident.

Please God let it happen.
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #4940
NoJacket
old hand
 
NoJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,284
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I think this fight past its peak interest point a long time ago. Obviously it's still top of the "fights I want to see list" though. If Manny does accept the drug testing then I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd put another stumbling block in the way, like trying to make Manny wear pillow gloves.
NoJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #4941
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJacket View Post
I think this fight past its peak interest point a long time ago. Obviously it's still top of the "fights I want to see list" though. If Manny does accept the drug testing then I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd put another stumbling block in the way, like trying to make Manny wear pillow gloves.
Or you know, unreasonable fees for missing weight.

Probably past the peak of interest, but that may change if they both have good fights this fall. I do think they will clearly break 2.4 million ppv's and set a new record.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #4942
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcool View Post
Or you know, unreasonable fees for missing weight.

Probably past the peak of interest, but that may change if they both have good fights this fall. I do think they will clearly break 2.4 million ppv's and set a new record.
Yeah this. If both come through their respective fights later in the year then the hype will build again.

If the deal gets signed it will be back page news and headline sports reports all around the world.
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #4943
NoJacket
old hand
 
NoJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,284
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I think gloves should be standardised anyway, along with ring size. I'm fed up with the "A side" boxer trying to eke out every advantage he can. All the top guys do it, which you can't really blame them for, but it's just not fair.
NoJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #4944
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJacket View Post
I think gloves should be standardised anyway, along with ring size. I'm fed up with the "A side" boxer trying to eke out every advantage he can. All the top guys do it, which you can't really blame them for, but it's just not fair.
I must have missed Floyd demanding larger gloves. I've never heard that as a fact, more of a rumor that was shut down immediately.

Of course glove size should be standard.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #4945
NoJacket
old hand
 
NoJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,284
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I wasn't specifically talking about Floyd, but it sounds like something he might do. And btw, I'm not saying Manny is perfect, his catchweight titles over the last few fights are complete bs.

On the weight issue, I can't remember how much the fine was for every pound over the weight that manny wanted but I guess it had to be a lot. Wasn't it $300k for every pound floyd was over 144 against Marquez? He came in at 146 and didn't even look bothered about paying the fine. If someone doesn't care about 300 grand then I guess you have to charge him a little more.
NoJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #4946
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Floyd has cleared the issue with Marquez camp before the weigh-in therefore making it seem like he didn't try.

Pacquiao wants 10 million per pound which is quite absurd.

Maybe he should have had Mayweather wear 2 oz heavier gloves for missing weight. Like Pac had to do against Torrecampo when he missed their weight.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #4947
NoJacket
old hand
 
NoJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,284
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

I'm not sure what you mean by "cleared the issue". He still had to pay $600k though right?

I had never heard that about Pac-Torrecampo, that's hilarious.
NoJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #4948
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJacket View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "cleared the issue". He still had to pay $600k though right?

I had never heard that about Pac-Torrecampo, that's hilarious.
yeah he paid. But marquez knew about it. It wasnt settled on the weigh ins.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #4949
Palo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Palo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,564
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

$10 mil/pound doesn't seem that unreasonable when Floyd isn't going to be paying the penalty because he can easily make 147 or whatever they decide on.
Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #4950
kingofcool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingofcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Makhachkala
Posts: 10,838
Re: SE Boxing Thread (still waiting for PBF v. Pac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo View Post
$10 mil/pound doesn't seem that unreasonable when Floyd isn't going to be paying the penalty because he can easily make 147 or whatever they decide on.
It's more about pride and bull**** like that.
Why demand such a ridiculous sum of money for something that has like 0.1% chance of happening? Mind games and pride.

For pac and roach it almost seem like a strategy. Not the first time they've done it (large fee compared to the total salary for missing weight).
The morales scraps come to mind.
kingofcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive