Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #1401
FlyingRat
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 20,409
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Goldberg is awesome value, he was huge when WCW ruled the world.
FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #1402
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
And I guess they just pulled his name out of a ****ing hat to receive these kind of pushes. Could have been anyone!

well, he had a great winstrol body, so that may be why vince pushed him, not like vince hasn't pushed guys with great bodies before or since, o wait
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #1403
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,874
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
well, he had a great winstrol body, so that may be why vince pushed him, not like vince hasn't pushed guys with great bodies before or since, o wait
Vince pushed him largely because he was so ridiculously popular that he couldn't pass it up.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #1404
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
well, he had a great winstrol body, so that may be why vince pushed him, not like vince hasn't pushed guys with great bodies before or since, o wait
Sober up dude.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #1405
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
Vince pushed him largely because he was so ridiculously popular that he couldn't pass it up.

how does someone get popular 1) they have the ability to get over to a crowd or 2) vince pushes them to the moon during a hot period and gets his full weight behind it and has the right guys put said wrestler over

Warrior doesn't do jack w/o Hogan, DiBiases, and unnamed. Plain and simple, Vince went after him from Dallas because of his body, Warrior wasn't exactly shooting up the card for a dying promotion like WCCW.

again, he was pure crap and a pure vince creation
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #1406
Dynasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,842
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
Vince pushed him largely because he was so ridiculously popular that he couldn't pass it up.
I've read the original plan for WrestleMania VI's main event was Hulk Hogan vs. Zeus.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #1407
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Sober up dude.

me thinks you've been doing too much candy if you actually think that Jim Hellwig actually deserves to be drafted at all, moreless in teh second round when there have been big drawing champs that are a million miles ahead of him in all aspects of wrestling
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1408
Russ M.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Russ M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cornette Face
Posts: 27,877
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Except for the fact that he absolutely was a top superstar I'm not really sure what to say. Lots of conjecture because you personally don't like him.
He was the top guy for less than 3 years and got into disputes with McMahon several times, being fired three times. He bombed huge in WCW, due in large part to the fact that he had creative control over his own storylines (LOL OWN). His interviews are rambling incoherent nonsense. He gasses himself before the matches even start. His in-ring work is turrible. Other than that he's great.

I was a big Warrior fan when I was growing up. I totally marked out watching him squash unnamed. But then after Hogan passed the torch to him, he totally bombed being the #1 guy and proved himself completely unreliable at every turn.
Russ M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1409
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

This round has been really interesting to me, in that a lot of guys I liked but thought would slip a little bit and be great value, instead are going earlier than I expected because everyone else (or a lot of people) felt the way I did. This includes Perfect, Funk, Piper (who I wish I had pushed for), Roberts (although I think he went a little too early, but I still love him), Steamboat (who I was pushing for our second-rounder), Vader and Dusty (great great pick there). Meanwhile, a guy like Edge who I thought would go earlier actually slipped and became a value pick, and there's a couple other guys like that as well. It's been interesting.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1410
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #1411
DetlefSchrempf
adept
 
DetlefSchrempf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "This is not Detroit man!"
Posts: 1,169
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Warrior/Hogan 1 was one of the biggest matches in WWE history while Warrior/Hogan 2 was one of the worst matches of all time.
DetlefSchrempf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #1412
VickreyAuction
Pooh-Bah
 
VickreyAuction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bo shi dun
Posts: 4,089
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
This round has been really interesting to me, in that a lot of guys I liked but thought would slip a little bit and be great value, instead are going earlier than I expected because everyone else (or a lot of people) felt the way I did. This includes Perfect, Funk, Piper (who I wish I had pushed for), Roberts (although I think he went a little too early, but I still love him), Steamboat (who I was pushing for our second-rounder), Vader and Dusty (great great pick there). Meanwhile, a guy like Edge who I thought would go earlier actually slipped and became a value pick, and there's a couple other guys like that as well. It's been interesting.
I think if Edge wasn't hurt right now, he would have gone earlier. He's just been out of everyone's mind for months.
VickreyAuction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #1413
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
This round has been really interesting to me, in that a lot of guys I liked but thought would slip a little bit and be great value, /snip/ It's been interesting.


to say the least. Its created a lot of fun discussion though. Still loving mine and deezy's Terry Funk pick and people trying to say he wasn't good based on garbage matches that he did in his 50s and 60s
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #1414
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickreyAuction View Post
I think if Edge wasn't hurt right now, he would have gone earlier. He's just been out of everyone's mind for months.
I think overall this has been a problem with Edge. It seems over the past 8 years or so, that everytime he's been primed for a big run that he's gotten injured, mostly due to his in-ring style(which is both a blessing and a bane). I love the pick as I'm an Edge fan, it just sucks that he's had as many injuries that he's had
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #1415
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo9 View Post

"Lawler could be a sick pick late. You get a decent guy with good mic skills. Also can be a commentator"
This is such an understatement. The guy is as elite as it gets with the mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPatriot View Post
dnky,

I think Steamboat/Punk is a much better draft strategy than Punk/Steamboat.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
lawler is a brilliant pick that late.
+1, I thought he was a first rounder for sure and considered him at #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongarm300 View Post
I am also amazed at people saying the Flair pick was to high. Growing up a huge wrestling fan there, IMO, was noone better in the business for a LONG LONG time. That guy would've been a monster star had he been in the WWE during his prime. He had the look, the charisma, the ability to work the crowd and the mic. He could make matches entertaining simply with his interaction w/the ref!
wait what? many people have said Flair should have been #1 overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetlefSchrempf View Post
Cena is very polarizing and a big draw to the younger crowd. His merch. sells like crazy. Great pick.
+1. I was very surprised to see people hate on the Cena pick. He could have went in the first round and I wouldn't have blinked. The guy is a legit superstar. Many of you are overrating guys with good ability that weren't stars because you like watching them wrestling. You guys aren't the ones that make the owners millions of dollars though, 12 year olds and their parents are. Cena is so much better in this draft than a guy like RVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
wow, warrior=insanely bad

don't really know what to say other then that
If you were putting together a real wrestling organization, it wouldn't be very successful based on this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
Irrational Ultimate Warrior hate ITT. The guy was HUGE HUGE HUGE. He's great value at this point. Hell, I still see people with Ultimate Warrior costumes every Halloween. People are seriously overrating wrestling ability and underrating everything the ability to be a star. The latter is a much bigger deal, especially early in the draft.
+million

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPatriot View Post
The problem is that he ONLY provides you value as a short term mega-star. His peak is what, two or three years tops?

He has zero other skills. He can't talk. He can't wrestle. If there's anyone that loses a ton of value from not having Vince McMahon around, it's him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4ZT...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
+1

The vast majority of fans don't give two ****s about how technically proficient a wrestler is(and never would know anyway, especially the kids). The point of this draft is not to win a wrestling competition, it's to form a federation.
I'm glad some people realize this.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #1416
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
+1

The vast majority of fans don't give two ****s about how technically proficient a wrestler is(and never would know anyway, especially the kids). The point of this draft is not to win a wrestling competition, it's to form a federation.
I disagree with this, it is like saying that most movie goers don't care about how well the movie is shot. They might not explicitly recognize it, but their enjoyment is tied to the quality of the fight. Considering Warrior wasn't good on the mike or in the ring and didn't have a good gimmick, it's clear he was only successful because of a Vince push.

I think Warrior and Goldberg are the same pick and both are bad.
I think Edge was a very good pick.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #1417
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Untouchable, I'm DEAD certain that I can put together a promotion that doesn't inclcude the Ultimate Warrior and have it be very successful. In fact, I'm DEAD certain that many people can put together highly successful promotions sans Ult Warrior in his "prime"


I may be a smark, but I'm also not out of touch. Ultimate Warrior just doesn't cut it in any promotion outside of some quick nostaligia value
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #1418
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

(I hate to give these links away, but it's the only decent video I could find to introduce him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCUQKiQadrA&feature=fvw

Spoiler:
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #1419
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
I disagree with this, it is like saying that most movie goers don't care about how well the movie is shot. They might not explicitly recognize it, but they will enjoy it more or less if people are good/bad it.
2012 made $65.2 million this weekend.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #1420
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,874
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge714 View Post
I disagree with this, it is like saying that most movie goers don't care about how well the movie is shot. They might not explicitly recognize it, but their enjoyment is tied to the quality of the fight. Considering Warrior wasn't good on the mike or in the ring and didn't have a good gimmick, it's clear he was only successful because of a Vince push.

I think Warrior and Goldberg are the same pick and both are bad.
I think Edge was a very good pick.
You do realize the a really big % of the wrestling fan contingent is made up of kids and ...not extremely educated people right? This isn't a buncha movie critics here bro. They aren't sitting around sipping Cabernet talking about the technical precision of a headlock or something. They're screaming because Warriors music just came on and he won a match in 30 seconds against UnNamed.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #1421
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Race was on our shortlist but I guess we just decided he wasn't a good pick to work with Vince. Maybe we failboated there.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #1422
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
Untouchable, I'm DEAD certain that I can put together a promotion that doesn't inclcude the Ultimate Warrior and have it be very successful. In fact, I'm DEAD certain that many people can put together highly successful promotions sans Ult Warrior in his "prime"


I may be a smark, but I'm also not out of touch. Ultimate Warrior just doesn't cut it in any promotion outside of some quick nostaligia value
Then why was he one of the biggest superstars in the history of wrestling? How come everyone I knew had Ultimate Warrior gear and he was their favorite wrestler? That nostalgia is there for a reason. The Warrior has made the WWF more inflation adjusted money than most guys will make them in 20 years.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #1423
Russ M.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Russ M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cornette Face
Posts: 27,877
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

littlekeed you bastard
Russ M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #1424
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
You do realize the a really big % of the wrestling fan contingent is made up of kids and ...not extremely educated people right? This isn't a buncha movie critics here bro.
+1000000

I don't know if people missed my stories of watching old WWF videos when I was FOUR years old. I'm sure I loved Hulk Hogan then because of his superior wrestling ability.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #1425
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge714 View Post
I think Warrior and Goldberg are the same pick and both are bad.
I think Edge was a very good pick.


I'll disagree with the Goldberg/Warrior comparison in that Goldberg always came off as somewhat believable, especially in a wrestling environment that was increasingly unbelievable. While Goldberg did get pushed too far too fast, he had a hell of a lot more talent then the dolt Jim Hellwig. Goldberg at least understood somewhat doing a job and putting someone over, Ultimate Warrior had/has zero concept of that function
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive