Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #476
WaterWalker
Pooh-Bah
 
WaterWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whats this?...A Roll of Quarters?
Posts: 3,901
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

on third thought...you can always grab a good Headliner later....
WaterWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #477
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Foley has been successful with multiple gimmicks in multiple companies. The guy loves wrestling more than life itself. He's a perfect pick to build around.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #478
HajiShirazu
Pooh-Bah
 
HajiShirazu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cricket analysis
Posts: 4,688
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Kind of an odd pick I would have thought of Mankind as somewhere in the 20-30 range. Not to saw that he's not awesome especially if you are looking to build that kind of promotion which may be a good plan in something like this.
In any case I think now we're getting into "guys that kind of sucked but were over/title holders so we have to pick them" vs "really talented but were not always over/pushed."
HajiShirazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #479
Russ M.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Russ M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cornette Face
Posts: 27,877
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

glorified stuntman itt
Russ M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #480
SarcasticRat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SarcasticRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sucking at Reverse Sheep
Posts: 9,774
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

A lot of the hardcore stuff Foley did just doesn't happen any more today, for good reason. When you remove the fact that he's insane and will do crazy **** he really isn't that good here.
SarcasticRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #481
sightless
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 15,988
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

plus he is hardcore
1998 HIAC @ King of the Ring - best wrestling match of all time imo

Last edited by sightless; 11-16-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: really like Foley:P
sightless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #482
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

i dont know how much i like this pick. i guess its better than mine is gonna be taken, but for a guy who was mostly a glorified stuntman, i think this is too high.

however, him winning the WWE championship on raw, and WCW telling fans that was going to happen that night was one of the biggest reasons that the WWE won the monday night wars.

i guess its not such a bad pick, i dont know.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #483
Etats360
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Etats360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,758
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I went to the same high school as Mick Foley. He came to give a speech to the students once, and basically told us that smoking pot was OK.
Etats360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #484
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPatriot View Post
Foley's a huge reach, but I guess if you really wanted him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
now that I think abou it though...I think hes kindve a reach at this point.
I picked Foley at #11.

The guy who picks at #13 just said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Rhino View Post
I was hoping he'd drop.
The guy who picks at #14 just said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
Damn it, we were definitely going Mick Foley. Great pick


Therefore, I disagree that he is a reach.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #485
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

So via our trade, dnkyhunter is up?
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #486
HajiShirazu
Pooh-Bah
 
HajiShirazu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cricket analysis
Posts: 4,688
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

btw Hogan could actually work a match he just never had the motivation or reason to do it in the U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUev...eature=related

(2nd part is better imo)
HajiShirazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #487
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ M. View Post
glorified stuntman itt
As I said in my writeup, the highest rated segment in the history of the monday night wars featured Mick Foley on the mic(along with the Rock). Pretty impressive for a "glorified stuntman."
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #488
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

He is a reach, but goddammit I still love the guy. Couldn't help but laugh at all those facts.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #489
MikeyPatriot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MikeyPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sack Mike Goldberg
Posts: 11,891
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymcfly View Post
You're wrong. He was regularly putting on 4 star+ matches in 2000/2001. He was pretty much considered an equal to guys like Benoit and Jericho in the ring at the time. Then when he came back from the quad tear, he changed things up and wasn't the same at all.

I still think his match with HBK at Summerslam though (HBK's return match) is one of the greatest matches of all-time if not the greatest even though no one really agrees with me.
Who are these people that had HHH right up there with Benoit as an in-ring worker?

HHH is a fine worker, but he wasn't a great one, ever. Putting on a string of quality matches (and I imagine they were with the cream of the crop at the time: Rock, Austin, Foley, Benoit, etc.) does not a great worker make.
MikeyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #490
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson16 View Post
So via our trade, dnkyhunter is up?
i am up. my pick is ready to go. just wanna give a few more minutes to let the foley talk continue before everyone laughs at my reach
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #491
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
i am up. my pick is ready to go. just wanna give a few more minutes to let the foley talk continue before everyone laughs at my reach
Ah, is it standard in these drafts for the second-to-newest pick to get buried? I guess I can see it.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #492
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
i am up. my pick is ready to go. just wanna give a few more minutes to let the foley talk continue before everyone laughs at my reach
as in, my pick will be up at :30
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #493
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
Foley has been successful with multiple gimmicks in multiple companies. The guy loves wrestling more than life itself. He's a perfect pick to build around.
I think that you, me, and the Untouchable think a lot alike.



FWIW, Foley was my #9:

1. Vince
2. Hogan
3. Flair
4. Rock
5. HBK
6. Austin
7. Undertaker
8. Hart
9. Foley


But I think I may have actually taken Foley over both Hart and Undertaker just due to personal preference.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #494
Dynasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,841
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
re: vince mcmahon as booker:

he really does not/has never "booked" outright any of the shows. he had writers who do this for him. vince does have final say as to what happens, but to call vince the booker of the wwe is incorrect.
Some of you need to remember that Vince Jr. was in the wrestling business for more than a decade before he bought the WWE from his father. During that time, Vince Jr. had many jobs in the company.

Vince Jr. was at least a partial booker in the late 70s and early 80s. Specifically, he had total control over the Intercontinental title and tag team titles. By 1982, he was booking at the top of the card, including the Bob Backlund-Jimmy Snuka feud and Snuka's later face-turn.

A big reason why Vince Jr. could be the "final say" guy as an owner was that he did so many individual jobs earlier as an employee.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #495
iggymcfly
runs good at HORSE
 
iggymcfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 26,028
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Foley's mic skills are severely underrated though. In his late runs in the WWF where he'd come in for one match, he's basically managed to single-handedly make it the most anticipated match on the card with his mic skills several times. And he's done similar things in TNA too. While the big gimmick matches are what made him famous, he's definitely got a lot more to offer than just that.

Not saying he's necessarily the best pick available, but he definitely is a Top 15 guy IMO.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #496
Wrane
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,086
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I was insta-taking Foley if he came to me.
Wrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #497
MikeyPatriot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MikeyPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sack Mike Goldberg
Posts: 11,891
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Therefore, I disagree that he is a reach.
I think it's pretty established that there is a heavy mid/late 90's bias in this draft.

You might find a bunch of tards who would take Derek Jeter number one in a baseball defense draft, but that doesn't make the pick any less of a reach.
MikeyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #498
sightless
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 15,988
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

srsly Foley is a really charismatic guy.
sightless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #499
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPatriot View Post
I think it's pretty established that there is a heavy mid/late 90's bias in this draft.

You might find a bunch of tards who would take Derek Jeter number one in a baseball defense draft, but that doesn't make the pick any less of a reach.
But is the bias not deserved? You're talking about wrestling's most popular time ever, and not only was that because of the edgy storylines, but because there were a ****ton of awesome characters and some pretty decent wrestling.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #500
MrOnizuka
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,750
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Mick Foley? Like that'll put butts in the seats.
MrOnizuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive