Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #4851
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

The draft is time warping guys to today. So Ray Stevens would be wrestling today and have more modern moveset than he did then.

But even if you hate old schoolers, there's not one person there who could have made even a slight impact (which would be bigger than Nowinski, who had no impact)?
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #4852
metsandfinsfan
banned
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 156,120
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
not true here. old school wrestling puts you to sleep. thats why they show old awa on espn classic at 11pm. its like watching paint dry with the limited moveset and bad promos.
i find todays wrestling pretty unwatchable.
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #4853
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I don't think you can just assume guys from yesteryear would time warp to 2009 and have a different moveset. It doesn't work that way.

I'm fine if you want to carry over the idea that the old guys who got over back then could get over today, or the guys who cut a great promo back then could do so today.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #4854
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
The draft is time warping guys to today. So Ray Stevens would be wrestling today and have more modern moveset than he did then.

But even if you hate old schoolers, there's not one person there who could have made even a slight impact (which would be bigger than Nowinski, who had no impact)?
so then your not getting ray stevens, your getting ray stevens extra. because if you were getting ray stevens, you get a bland moveset.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #4855
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
I don't think you can just assume guys from yesteryear would time warp to 2009 and have a different moveset. It doesn't work that way.

I'm fine if you want to carry over the idea that the old guys who got over back then could get over today, or the guys who cut a great promo back then could do so today.
qf xpost-aments
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #4856
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Like, there are definitely some old-school guys who could absolutely "bridge the gap" and get over today ... maybe not through their in-ring work (although there are a few who could even do that), but certainly through promos and ring psychology and things of that nature.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #4857
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I understand that not all skills are going to transfer. What I don't understand is why some people think that current guys are superior when the industry is significantly less popular than it was 10 and 15 years ago. It seems to me that the 90s and early 2000s guys were the best of all worlds.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #4858
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
I don't think you can just assume guys from yesteryear would time warp to 2009 and have a different moveset. It doesn't work that way.
I think it's the same assumption wrt Joe Louis being a boxer today. Louis was small by today's standards, but if he were in his prime today, he'd be different. Same with Stevens. Obviously, he's never going to fly like Rey Misterio Jr., but he's also not going to have just the punch, body slam, arm bar repertoire that wrestlers of the 60s and 70s had.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #4859
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I mean there's too many variables for timewarps and I don't know how to properly do it.

Could Ray Stevens wrestle the schedule used today without getting injured? I mean, a lot of the old wrestlers have longevity because they weren't wrestling 300+ nights a year and using a more high-impact style that's seen today.

That being said, would CM Punk have the same appeal if he wrestled in 1970? This is virtually a theoretical mind****.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #4860
pflwardog
adept
 
pflwardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 959
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
Like, there are definitely some old-school guys who could absolutely "bridge the gap" and get over today ... maybe not through their in-ring work (although there are a few who could even do that), but certainly through promos and ring psychology and things of that nature.
Billy Graham is a great example, so is the Shiek
pflwardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #4861
MrOnizuka
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,750
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
Like, there are definitely some old-school guys who could absolutely "bridge the gap" and get over today ... maybe not through their in-ring work (although there are a few who could even do that), but certainly through promos and ring psychology and things of that nature.
This is why I dunno what to think about the really old school guys like Thesz, Sammartino, or Kowalski.

Wasn't a lot of their appeal based on the fact that people thought they were actually beating people up and never losing? Did they give great promos about how they were gonna give 110% and take it once match at a time? Do we have any info at all about how they acted inside the ring?

I dunno jack about old school wrestling though.
MrOnizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #4862
AC-Cobra
Pooh-Bah
 
AC-Cobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Giving a **** when it's not my turn
Posts: 5,207
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Ricky Steamboat is an even better example. **** the guy was better than most of the current roster still when he came back around Wrestlemania.
AC-Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #4863
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson16 View Post
I mean there's too many variables for timewarps and I don't know how to properly do it.

Could Ray Stevens wrestle the schedule used today without getting injured? I mean, a lot of the old wrestlers have longevity because they weren't wrestling 300+ nights a year and using a more high-impact style that's seen today.

That being said, would CM Punk have the same appeal if he wrestled in 1970? This is virtually a theoretical mind****.
You do realize that wrestlers in the pre-PPV era were working virtually every day and sometimes twice a day right? I remember someone (possibly Bruno) that was offered the NWA title and turned it down because he didn't want to lose the one weekend a month he had off at the time.

The rules simply stated that your wrestler would be as over today as he was in 1972. None of that "how does his moveset translate" stuff matters. As long as he was really hated/liked then he will receive the same support now.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #4864
Burdzthewurd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Burdzthewurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WE THE PEOPLE
Posts: 11,597
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson16 View Post
I mean there's too many variables for timewarps and I don't know how to properly do it.

Could Ray Stevens wrestle the schedule used today without getting injured? I mean, a lot of the old wrestlers have longevity because they weren't wrestling 300+ nights a year and using a more high-impact style that's seen today.

That being said, would CM Punk have the same appeal if he wrestled in 1970? This is virtually a theoretical mind****.
Pretty sure CM Punk would be hated quite a bit in the 60's and 70's criticizing everyone for toking up
Burdzthewurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #4865
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson16 View Post
I mean there's too many variables for timewarps and I don't know how to properly do it.

Could Ray Stevens wrestle the schedule used today without getting injured? I mean, a lot of the old wrestlers have longevity because they weren't wrestling 300+ nights a year and using a more high-impact style that's seen today.

That being said, would CM Punk have the same appeal if he wrestled in 1970? This is virtually a theoretical mind****.
Where the hell did you come up with the number anyways? In 1997 the WWF ran 190 cards. http://100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling...her/wnls97.txt I seriously doubt they have 110 more than that today.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #4866
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

From all the reading I've done, wrestlers wrestled WAY MORE matches back before 1995. Again, check out Ric Flair's 1982 NWA world title defense schedule. It's crazy. Guys did two shows on weekends, most weekends. It's still a brutal business these days but not quite as bad.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #4867
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeed View Post
Where the hell did you come up with the number anyways? In 1997 the WWF ran 190 cards. http://100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling...her/wnls97.txt I seriously doubt they have 110 more than that today.
Hm, this was one of those things that I have heard repeated a ton of times but never verified it. Apparently others thought the same way, if you Google "wrestling 300 nights a year" there's quite a few hits.

Was just flat out wrong on the old-timers putting in that much work. I just figured those guys were wrestling maybe twice or three times a week. Didn't realize they traveled that much, thought since it would be regional there wouldn't be much drawing power several nights a week.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #4868
metsandfinsfan
banned
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 156,120
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

oldtimers not only worked every day, but paid for the own hotels, meals, and sometimes even airfare
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #4869
ajohnson16
veteran
 
ajohnson16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oops. I'm breaking the fourth wall.
Posts: 3,466
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Not denying, but is this daily travel schedule confirmed anywhere? I'd like to read up on it.
ajohnson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #4870
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Someone posted an NWA world title defenses link earlier in the thread, I assume you could do a search for it.

Last edited by antidan444; 12-14-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I mean, a google search for "NWA world title defenses" or something, not a search of this monster thread for the link.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #4871
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
I understand that not all skills are going to transfer. What I don't understand is why some people think that current guys are superior when the industry is significantly less popular than it was 10 and 15 years ago. It seems to me that the 90s and early 2000s guys were the best of all worlds.
i agree with this. now the question that you actually wanna ask is:

is the time before the 1990's better than 2002 on? i disagree, as you will see with my picks.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #4872
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Well, I think the wrestlers are better today but I think the booking/storytelling is really bad compared to just about any other time.

I think Jim Cornette is right when he rants all the time about how wrestling is about the drama of two guys (or tag teams, or whatever) battling over some dispute. That's the core element and I think in a lot of ways that core element has been lost.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #4873
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Like, I think the right person or group of people, with a good understanding of the business and what draws, could make a KILLING with the talent available.

(I actually wish Bret Hart was doing some booking somewhere, because I really think he would shine in that role.)
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #4874
metsandfinsfan
banned
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 156,120
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

a heel turn used to be so epic back then

when paul orndorff turned heel, kids actually cried
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #4875
Wrane
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,086
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandfinsfan View Post
a heel turn used to be so epic back then

when paul orndorff turned heel, kids actually cried
I chuckled.
Wrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive