Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #4026
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOnizuka View Post
The stuff that makes people popular like ring work and look and mic skills and how it all fits together should be the primary focus, imo.
definitely agree. Its hard to compare $$$ totals as there was a shift in how drawing power was measured over the years, along with more understanding of how to market(which works for a lot of different things over the years)
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #4027
Burdzthewurd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Burdzthewurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WE THE PEOPLE
Posts: 11,597
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

In regards to saying wrestlers wrestle a lot less now then back in the 60's and 70's when they wrested 5-6 times a week, what about the fact that movesets were far more limited at least in most US territories as compared to now? I doubt there were any main eventers doing Swanton bombs, SSPs, Vertebreakers, 420 splashes or other dangerous high-risk moves. Didn't the outside floor around the ring have gym mats usually too, instead of nothing or little padding like now? And there definitely weren't TLC/ladder/Hell In The Cell/Elimination Chamber/Inferno matches then either (though obviously Street Fights/Cage matches were still fairly violent), but nevertheless, guys weren't taking epic bumps like 20 feet off the cage onto a truck/announce table/through the cage into the ring. So I think today's wrestlers have it a lot harder than some of these other guys that wrestled more technical styles 5-6 times a week that weren't constantly going through tables or off ladders.
Burdzthewurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #4028
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

ladder matches were a staple of stampede for a long time. In fact it was bret that introduced it to Vince. There have been violent matches throughout wrestling. Obviously moves have been innovated since then and moves will continue to be innovated. So comparing movesets is near impossible. Guys were a fair amount stiffer in their work back in the day though, so while the moves may not be as complex, they certainly did hurt

there really wasn't much padding on the floor back then either. The WWF has special flooring set up on the outside of the ring nowadays and there is general padding on the floor in TNA as well


where today's wrestlers have it a lot harder then those back in the day is the travel. Its gotten better since the 80s when traveling for Vince was ****ing brutal, but its still pretty rough, and that takes a good toll on a lot of guys
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #4029
VickreyAuction
Pooh-Bah
 
VickreyAuction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bo shi dun
Posts: 4,089
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

ric flair talking about wahoo mcdaniel
VickreyAuction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #4030
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdzthewurd View Post
In regards to saying wrestlers wrestle a lot less now then back in the 60's and 70's when they wrested 5-6 times a week, what about the fact that movesets were far more limited at least in most US territories as compared to now? I doubt there were any main eventers doing Swanton bombs, SSPs, Vertebreakers, 420 splashes or other dangerous high-risk moves.

They also tended to wrestle long (30-60 min) time limit draws. No one does that today (for good reason imo, but not the point).

Didn't the outside floor around the ring have gym mats usually too, instead of nothing or little padding like now?

Isn't everything around the ring covered in that black padding? And no, usually the floors were just concrete back then.

And there definitely weren't TLC/ladder/Hell In The Cell/Elimination Chamber/Inferno matches then either (though obviously Street Fights/Cage matches were still fairly violent), but nevertheless, guys weren't taking epic bumps like 20 feet off the cage onto a truck/announce table/through the cage into the ring. So I think today's wrestlers have it a lot harder than some of these other guys that wrestled more technical styles 5-6 times a week that weren't constantly going through tables or off ladders.

On every episode of Raw/Smackdown they have Hell in a Cell matches where someone falls off the cage? Wow, I need to start watching again.
.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #4031
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Also, a guy who was a huge main event star during the territorial days would have a lot less worldwide popularity than someone who's a star in the WWE today when it gets televised not only nationwide but internationally as well. If someone should get the same credit for main-eventing in WCCW as in WWE, then anyone who's over main eventing a ROH show should get the same credit as well.
QFT, in capitals to show just how true this really is.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #4032
Burdzthewurd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Burdzthewurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WE THE PEOPLE
Posts: 11,597
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

No, there aren't those matches every week but there are plenty of each sans the Inferno match on PPVs each year
Burdzthewurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #4033
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
QFT, in capitals to show just how true this really is.
Except we aren't giving the same credit to those guys. That's why Kerry Von Erich went after 100 or so picks and Hulk Hogan went in the top 5.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #4034
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdzthewurd View Post
No, there aren't those matches every week but there are plenty of each sans the Inferno match on PPVs each year
Come on. The vast majority of matches have regular stipulations. If you want to argue that wrestling in ECW was tougher I'll give you that, but modern WWE is pretty light.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #4035
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 28,618
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I don't know much about wrestling but I was a huge Jericho fan when he was in WCW

some of his best work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ORMwh3uHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hn9j7fTVow



Oh man when he carried that Malenko picture around it used to kill me
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #4036
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 28,618
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

MR BORE US MALENKO

rofl
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #4037
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 28,618
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcIgGFVQvU

I could watch Jericho promos all day
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #4038
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeed View Post
Except we aren't giving the same credit to those guys. That's why Kerry Von Erich went after 100 or so picks and Hulk Hogan went in the top 5.
i am giving credit to those guys, hence why i selected some of the guys in the spots i did. this is the disagreement i had with the untouchable, with him disallowing ROH. to allow the old school regional main eventers, not allowing groups like ROH boggles my mind.

i know he said that ecw != roh, which i disagree with. ill even argue that roh does = awa and wccw.

that said, the rules have been in place since the start. just let people pick who and how they want. discuss the picks, lets not ***** and moan about old school vs new school. there is greatness in both the old and the new.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #4039
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

How does ROH = AWA or WCCW? There is not a single place in the country where ROH is the #1 promotion. AWA and WCCW did have that distinction in the midwest and Texas. Since those promotions were not very big however in comparison to the NWA (and to a lesser and probably incorrect extent WWWF), those guys fell pretty far.

I agree with the last statement wholeheartedly though.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #4040
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOnizuka View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that until Vince bought everyone out that wrestling was pretty much only popular in the South and some parts of the East Coast.
Wrestling was big in many areas of the country. But, because of protected territories, a guy who's big in one area could be unknown in another area of the country. Missouri, California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Minnesota all had important territories back in the day.

Here's how the territory system worked back in the day. Each territory had it's own champ, it's own TV show and it's own wrestling shows. (And back then, TV was used to sell arena seats, the opposite of how it is today). So, Florida would have a champ like Dusty Rhodes, a mega over face. Missouri would have Harley Race, the Carolinas had Flair, Texas had the Von Erichs. The territories got together and created a "world" champion who would travel between territories and fight their champs. So one of the most important things in the 70s and 80s was to have a champ who could work as both a heel and a face. Because each territory may have a face or a heel as a champ at any time. They also had to be able to work in various different styles. This is why Rhodes and Von Erich had such short reigns at the top and why Race and Flair had long reigns. (Also, e.g., the Florida promoters wanted to keep Rhodes because he was so valuable).

The territory system worked fine until Vince Jr. decided that cable TV could turn wrestling from a regional game to a national game. So he started buying up territories. Crockett did the same thing with the NWA. Fast forward to the 90s and the territories are gone, replaced by WCW and WWE. A decade later and WCW can't keep up, resulting in a single big national promotion and a few other contenders that aren't nearly as big.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #4041
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeed View Post
How does ROH = AWA or WCCW? There is not a single place in the country where ROH is the #1 promotion. AWA and WCCW did have that distinction in the midwest and Texas. Since those promotions were not very big however in comparison to the NWA (and to a lesser and probably incorrect extent WWWF), those guys fell pretty far.

I agree with the last statement wholeheartedly though.

well, the NWA wasn't exactly a concrete promotion until the 80s, it was a looseish confederation of territories with a voting board that decided on the main champ
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #4042
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeed View Post
How does ROH = AWA or WCCW? There is not a single place in the country where ROH is the #1 promotion. AWA and WCCW did have that distinction in the midwest and Texas. Since those promotions were not very big however in comparison to the NWA (and to a lesser and probably incorrect extent WWWF), those guys fell pretty far.

I agree with the last statement wholeheartedly though.
actually thinking about it, roh does not = awa because the era i was thinking of is not the only time they were around. awa was huge for years during the regional times.

but the area that roh does have on wccw is its nation wide. wccw was big in the texas area, but not so much in the northeast. roh has run very successfull shows from boston to detriot, toronto to orlando, and soon in phoenix and LA. you said that roh has never been #1 in one area, ill say that wccw wouldent be #3 in the country right now.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #4043
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Fast forward to the 90s and the territories are gone, replaced by WCW and WWE. A decade later and WCW can't keep up, resulting in a single big national promotion and a few other contenders that aren't nearly as big.
read other contenders as mainly tna and roh.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #4044
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

has the spread sheet been updated? who is up?
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #4045
sportsjefe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
sportsjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,694
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkyhunter31 View Post
has the spread sheet been updated? who is up?
it has, and unless there's some trade, Jack Bando's up.

Last edited by sportsjefe; 11-30-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Rd 8, picks 196 and 197 upcoming.
sportsjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #4046
Dynasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,841
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

This might give you a feel for how often guys wrestled in different generations. If not, it's at least a cool link.

The Records of N.W.A. World Heavyweight Championship Matches

Be sure to check out Flair's schedule in 1982.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #4047
dnkyhunter31
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dnkyhunter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kane's Rape Dungeon
Posts: 31,624
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
This might give you a feel for how often guys wrestled in different generations. If not, it's at least a cool link.

The Records of N.W.A. World Heavyweight Championship Matches

Be sure to check out Flair's schedule in 1982.
so then your arguement is wrestling more often because there was not as much exposure > wrestling weekends only because people can see you just about every week on tv.
dnkyhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #4048
Dynasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,841
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I wasn't making any argument at all. I was providing a link.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #4049
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

You guys are doing a good job with this thread even though picks are slowing down. I'm definitely learning a lot about the business.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #4050
sportsjefe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
sportsjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,694
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

A lot of this stuff is really fun reading and/or watching.

Jim Cornette can tell a story like no other, because there's a true passion he feels for pro wrestling and everything about it.

Since both David and Kerry Von Erich have gone (in the draft), I feel this would be safe to post.

Jim Cornette talks World Class Championship Wrestling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSXg-d0jboM

Last edited by sportsjefe; 11-30-2009 at 09:54 PM.
sportsjefe is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive