Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #3976
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
Also, I miss the "Clash of the Champions" days on TBS. Felt like a PPV but was free. Those rocked.
Wow, we're on the same wave length. My neighbor always bought every PPV, so we got to watch every one live, but those occasional "free PPVs" were so cool.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #3977
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
A lot of mid-carders from the last 10-15 years are being picked ahead of main eventers from the mid-80s and earlier.
This.

E.g., Nature Boy Buddy Rogers was taken in Round 6. This guy was the biggest draw in the entire world for a decade. Yet midcarders that I had to Google to see who they were (e.g. Johnny Nitro and Nigel McGuinness) were drafted ahead of him.

I'm also shocked that my favorite wrestler of all-time hasn't been taken yet. Good thing I'm not in this draft, I would have wasted a 2nd or third round pick on him.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #3978
SharkTank43
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SharkTank43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2 big, 2 fast, 2 strong, 2 good
Posts: 6,731
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Meh, I really don't know **** about very many wrestlers prior to the 1990's, and this draft wouldn't be very fun for me if I was drafting a bunch of guys who I've never even heard of....I prefer to just stick with what I know
SharkTank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #3979
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I'm the same as Shark, except going back to about 1985.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #3980
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Everyone on my team hit their peak before I was born (1989). Even though I never watched any of it live, 80s wrestling > everything else. Attitude era WWF (especially 99) is probably the most overrated wrestling.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #3981
SharkTank43
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SharkTank43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2 big, 2 fast, 2 strong, 2 good
Posts: 6,731
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I feel the opposite way, what I've seen of real old-school rasslin bores me to tears, while I can still go onto Youtube and still get enjoyment out of pulling up some classic Attitude Era moments/matches
SharkTank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #3982
SarcasticRat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SarcasticRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sucking at Reverse Sheep
Posts: 9,774
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Yeah it's hard for me to pick anyone from before even like 1996 and have any idea who they are or what they were about. In sports drafts you can look up statistics and get an idea of how good someone was, but it's hard to differentiate the kayfabe accomplishments someone has with the actual value they would bring as a worker, mic guy, etc. I decided to take two older people last round and nobody really liked it, so meh.
SarcasticRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #3983
rmthawk64
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rmthawk64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ELITE QUARTERBACK
Posts: 15,640
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeed View Post
Everyone on my team hit their peak before I was born (1989). Even though I never watched any of it live, 80s wrestling > everything else. Attitude era WWF (especially 99) is probably the most overrated wrestling.
Maybe I'm a bit bias, but I strongly disagree. The storylines/gimmicks/matches of the attitude era were brilliant, imo.
rmthawk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #3984
littlekeed
veteran
 
littlekeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank43 View Post
I feel the opposite way, what I've seen of real old-school rasslin bores me to tears, while I can still go onto Youtube and still get enjoyment out of pulling up some classic Attitude Era moments/matches
Outside of the main events nothing was even watchable in my opinion while Russo was booking the WWF. Austin and The Rock are obviously awesome, but the midcard was so godawful. I don't think the WWF was any good until they acquired Angle, Jericho, and Benoit at the end of that year.
littlekeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #3985
SharkTank43
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SharkTank43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2 big, 2 fast, 2 strong, 2 good
Posts: 6,731
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Yeah, Angle and Jericho were pretty sweet pick-ups
SharkTank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #3986
darthrob64
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
darthrob64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tilt Room
Posts: 8,534
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

One of the things thats great about these drafts though is the opportunity to learn about players/wrestlers etc that you didnt grow up with, from people that did and/or just know more about them anyway
darthrob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #3987
antidan444
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antidan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,431
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Keep in mind the demographics of the people drafting and judging. Most of us probably haven't turned 30 yet. That affects how things are viewed.
antidan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #3988
SharkTank43
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SharkTank43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2 big, 2 fast, 2 strong, 2 good
Posts: 6,731
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrob64 View Post
One of the things thats great about these drafts though is the opportunity to learn about players/wrestlers etc that you didnt grow up with, from people that did and/or just know more about them anyway
Very true, one guy whose early days I was particularly interested in was Terry Funk, he sounds like he was way more awesome then I ever would have thought.
SharkTank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #3989
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank43 View Post
I feel the opposite way, what I've seen of real old-school rasslin bores me to tears, while I can still go onto Youtube and still get enjoyment out of pulling up some classic Attitude Era moments/matches
60s wrestling can be very boring. But Buddy Rogers practically invented the heel. He was the first big heel of the TV era. Half of the mannerisms of heel Flair (knowingly or not). For an entire decade, people paid to see him lose. I don't know how Rogers would do in the ring with these new guys, but he was great on the mic and would still be great on the mic today.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #3990
MattSuspect
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MattSuspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Heart Cooks Brain
Posts: 13,690
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
This.

E.g., Nature Boy Buddy Rogers was taken in Round 6. This guy was the biggest draw in the entire world for a decade. Yet midcarders that I had to Google to see who they were (e.g. Johnny Nitro and Nigel McGuinness) were drafted ahead of him.

I'm also shocked that my favorite wrestler of all-time hasn't been taken yet. Good thing I'm not in this draft, I would have wasted a 2nd or third round pick on him.
I've been watching constantly since the mid 80's. And went through the tape phase, old school phase, regional watching, etc.

Now maybe this isn't the point of the fantasy thread. but keep in mind that guys like Buddy Rogers, Nick Bockwinkle etc just didn't have the same amount of experience that the new generation have. That audience was SO much smaller, sure there was the occasional WWWF show at MSG that sold out in the 60s 70s, but the guys of the last 20 years do 9 tv appearances a month, 20 house shows and the way in which wrestling is dissected and analyzed today is just insane. Guys like CM Punk, Nigel, Austin, Rock, are perfecting a craft.

I guess a not terrible analogy would be to compare a lot of the stars of yesteryear to the old pre internet poker. And that the information available, the amount of hands being able to be played now compared to old school BM makes the newer players have an advantage in the craft. Basically I see a lot of the 60's/70's picks as Chip Jett, and the ROH picks as Shannon Shorr.

.02

-IMS
MattSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #3991
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

matt, the 60s/70s guys wrestled a whole lot of matches back then too and were working almost nightly. Cable TV certainly creates a different animal, but as far as in ring stuff, they had it pretty honed in on how to get their audiences into it. It was a more intimate era because there wasn't cable tv and the house show was the driving point of business. It was also different in that a lot of guys were keeping to kayfabe and that will create its own culture in of itself

one thing that I think that the older days had over today is that the level of athelete was fairly better back then. They were grabbing guys who were high level collegiate wrestlers and football players at a fairly decent clip. It also enabled them to get a lot of Heavyweights too. Its not as common these days for a guy who was as decorated as Jack Brisco in College to go to professional wrestling, and instead those guys are starting to go into MMA (and for a while they just ended their competitive careers and went into other walks of life)
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #3992
KDawg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nectar of the gods
Posts: 20,486
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
The addition of too many PPVs was definitely the downfall of pro wrestling.

In terms of the draft, I think people are putting a little too much emphasis on guys complementing each other. Good booking and promotion is what makes guys "go together" well. I'm sure no one here would have put Scott Hall and Sean Waltman together as great fits, yet their rivalry when Waltman was the 1-2-3 Kid was great.

I think you want a good mix of faces and heels, mic guys and ring guys. Focusing too much on wrestling styles isn't as important, I don't think. It just hasn't been as important historically.

I think every promotion should have some sort of identity and style that it brings. This has been done throughout history and is still very applicable to today (and is still practiced very much). To have a successful promotion, you also need guys who can bring out the best in each other so that you can put on entertaining matches since that's generally why we watch wrestling in the first place.

The style of the promotion itself is just a backdrop as not every wrestler will fit into that particular style. Obviously a good mix of guys is what is best and its a matter of finding those guys that will fit a vision that you think can bring the best out of them, and that's where finding guys that compliment each other well fits in. I'm not saying that if you have chris benoit that you exactly need eddie guerrero to play off of him, but instead you want a guy that you think can work with Benoit and make for good viewing. Putting someone like Sandman against Benoit doesn't really do much for either guy since it will be hard for both of them to really bring out what each does best.



I'll use an example from my Fed, take someone like Kofi Kingston. He does a rather up tempo style based around some more flying moves and we have Terry Funk who was more of a brawling and mat based wrestler. But, my reasoning for why I think they fit is because Funk is very adaptable, but more to it, I think both of the styles can make for a good match with each other because while they have different styles, the way that both of them wrestle/wrestled can work well and of course it helps that Funk was a monster heel that can do well on the mic and Kingston is certainly improving on the mic.

On top of that though, both of the guys fit fairly well in with how both deezy and I want the general style of our fed to be. We want an athletic and more sports based style. Obviously not everyone we have picked fits squarely into that idea, but its more creating an over riding style and then finding some other guys that don't neccessarily fit the exact style, but can add to it.

What this also does, is give the fans something as a base to work with, and a sort of expectation of what they will see, to which we can then work from there
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #3993
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
Even the King of the Ring addition in 1993 was great. Five a year, all of them with their own theme, awesome. Then they added In Your House events and it all went downhill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antidan444 View Post
Also, I miss the "Clash of the Champions" days on TBS. Felt like a PPV but was free. Those rocked.
+1 to both of these
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #3994
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
I think every promotion should have some sort of identity and style that it brings. This has been done throughout history and is still very applicable to today (and is still practiced very much). To have a successful promotion, you also need guys who can bring out the best in each other so that you can put on entertaining matches since that's generally why we watch wrestling in the first place.

The style of the promotion itself is just a backdrop as not every wrestler will fit into that particular style. Obviously a good mix of guys is what is best and its a matter of finding those guys that will fit a vision that you think can bring the best out of them, and that's where finding guys that compliment each other well fits in. I'm not saying that if you have chris benoit that you exactly need eddie guerrero to play off of him, but instead you want a guy that you think can work with Benoit and make for good viewing. Putting someone like Sandman against Benoit doesn't really do much for either guy since it will be hard for both of them to really bring out what each does best.



I'll use an example from my Fed, take someone like Kofi Kingston. He does a rather up tempo style based around some more flying moves and we have Terry Funk who was more of a brawling and mat based wrestler. But, my reasoning for why I think they fit is because Funk is very adaptable, but more to it, I think both of the styles can make for a good match with each other because while they have different styles, the way that both of them wrestle/wrestled can work well and of course it helps that Funk was a monster heel that can do well on the mic and Kingston is certainly improving on the mic.

On top of that though, both of the guys fit fairly well in with how both deezy and I want the general style of our fed to be. We want an athletic and more sports based style. Obviously not everyone we have picked fits squarely into that idea, but its more creating an over riding style and then finding some other guys that don't neccessarily fit the exact style, but can add to it.

What this also does, is give the fans something as a base to work with, and a sort of expectation of what they will see, to which we can then work from there
Assani supports this long-winded post saying a lot without saying anything.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #3995
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Arrow Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
This.

E.g., Nature Boy Buddy Rogers was taken in Round 6. This guy was the biggest draw in the entire world for a decade. Yet midcarders that I had to Google to see who they were (e.g. Johnny Nitro and Nigel McGuinness) were drafted ahead of him.

I'm also shocked that my favorite wrestler of all-time hasn't been taken yet. Good thing I'm not in this draft, I would have wasted a 2nd or third round pick on him.
Yeah, if you notice I've drafted all older wrestlers with my last 4 picks(Johnny Valentine, Dory Funk Jr., Fred Blassie, Lou Albano) because I think theres tons of value there. Legends of wrestling from many year ago >>>>>>>>>> midcarders from today and I don't think its even all that close.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #3996
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

That perfectly summarizes why he annoys me. He's constantly like Assani on Assani's worst days, but without any of the awesome to ever balance it out.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #3997
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
That perfectly summarizes why he annoys me. He's constantly like Assani on Assani's worst days, but without any of the awesome to ever balance it out.
Agreed completely.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #3998
SarcasticRat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SarcasticRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sucking at Reverse Sheep
Posts: 9,774
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

I think KDawg has been very valuable ITT, f the haters.

He is not to blame for your poor reading comprehension.
SarcasticRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #3999
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,446
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Yeah, if you notice I've drafted all older wrestlers with my last 4 picks(Johnny Valentine, Dory Funk Jr., Fred Blassie, Lou Albano) because I think theres tons of value there. Legends of wrestling from many year ago >>>>>>>>>> midcarders from today and I don't think its even all that close.
Foley, Vader, Brody, Bigelow, and Muta in addition to those 4. Your fed is going to have some epic brawls.
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #4000
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Professional Wrestling Promotion Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticRat View Post
I think KDawg has been very valuable ITT, f the haters.

He is not to blame for your poor reading comprehension.
Yes, that second part is clearly the case.

FWIW KDawg I just got around to reading your breakdown of my roster. I'll probably respond to it in a day or two, I'm sitting in the airport and don't really feel like writing that much right now.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive