Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #176
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 46,344
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Basically.

Seems that getting a job coaching football is about knowing the right people rather than the right things.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #177
feel wrath
The Situation
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 17,356
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

interesting decision for Jags with Bortles/other QBs this offseason.

bad play it to sign him to an extension

conservative play is to let him play on the 5th year option, draft/sign somebody to backup/compete and kow you can franchise him/sign him after the season if he's light's out

punchy play is to go after Smith, Cousins, maybe Keenum (Breeeeeeeeeeeees) and cut Bortles
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #178
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,109
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Hi guys...I'm here now...
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #179
Ineedaride2
Politics Court Jester
 
Ineedaride2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Warning: This post contains sarcasm
Posts: 25,011
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle77 View Post
Hi guys...I'm here now...
Welcome to the sadness thread. Pull up a memory or 2.
Ineedaride2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #180
8bus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
8bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,796
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

I’m shocked to see the team that picked up alshon as a FA is now going to the super bowl.
8bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #181
RunninCM
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,114
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
Basically.

Seems that getting a job coaching football is about knowing the right people rather than the right things.
Yea so much different than a real job right?
RunninCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #182
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bus View Post
Iím shocked to see the team that picked up alshon as a FA is now going to the super bowl.
The bears took that money and spent it on Mike Glennon. We don't even get a comp pick for it because of this. God we're so dumb.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #183
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,463
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel wrath View Post
interesting decision for Jags with Bortles/other QBs this offseason.

bad play it to sign him to an extension

conservative play is to let him play on the 5th year option, draft/sign somebody to backup/compete and kow you can franchise him/sign him after the season if he's light's out

punchy play is to go after Smith, Cousins, maybe Keenum (Breeeeeeeeeeeees) and cut Bortles
Yeah, interesting. Although they lost, it's clear Bortles is good enough to be their Trent Dilfer. So they can just play the fifth year, keep trying to stack everyone else, and hope for the best.

Adding in some more aggressive play calling when the game is in the balance may help too.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #184
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 41,156
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

What do the Vikings do?
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #185
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,463
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
What do the Vikings do?
Try to sign Keenum for something reasonable, and then let he and teddy fight it out in training camp. If they sign Keenum then Bradford goes.

If they can't sign Keenum to something reasonable. Keep Bradford and Teddy and let them compete for the starting job next year.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #186
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 41,156
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Who's going to overpay Case?
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #187
stinkubus
Pooh-Bah
 
stinkubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,144
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
Basically.

Seems that getting a job coaching football is about knowing the right people rather than the right things.
These are one in the same, as football coaching is more or less follows an apprenticeship model of training future coaches.
stinkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #188
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,463
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
Who's going to overpay Case?
Well someone way overpaid Glennon, so it's not like it would be crazy for that to happen.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 AM   #189
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
What do the Vikings do?
well they're losing the OC to the Giants and have a hell of a QB decision to make. So they've got a lot of **** to figure out. After that, figure out just how the hell their defense got obliterated and fix that. I guess I would start by replacing Waynes with a real corner but what do I know. Not just him, lots of their good players on D were gashed today too.

Then slap Treadwell and hope that makes him do something next year.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 AM   #190
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
Who's going to overpay Case?
Vikings are the favorite since they can franchise him.

Keenum has played for Texans HC, Giants HC, Jeff Fisher, and Broncos exec (Gary Kubiak), Packers QB Coach, a defensive assistant for the Lions was his QB coach in Houston.

I didn't go further than this for connections but it looks like no offensive coordinator in the league next year (unless the vikings hire from within) will have coached Keenum before.

Last edited by wheatrich; 01-22-2018 at 02:36 AM.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #191
Onlydo2days
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,552
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Can't see Case getting tagged unless he is starting next year and I feel like they will wanna start Bridge.

I mean, Keenum had a top D, elite WR's, retooled OL

He isn't actually good or anything and Godgers will be back next year.
Onlydo2days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #192
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

fwiw I believe Alex Smith is more likely to get released than traded despite his fantastic season this year. There's a lot of FA options and the Chiefs badly need the cap space. It's as simple as not having much leverage.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #193
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydo2days View Post
Can't see Case getting tagged unless he is starting next year and I feel like they will wanna start Bridge.

I mean, Keenum had a top D, elite WR's, retooled OL

He isn't actually good or anything and Godgers will be back next year.
Bridge was inactive for Sam Bradford just this week. Also, Keenum clearly earned the job. *shrugs* I don't know what they're gonna do either but I think this 2p2 teddy narrative is a bit too high, signs aren't really pointing that way despite the rhetoric from coaches (ie what they're doing isn't what they're saying). That said, it might be up to the new OC as well.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:50 AM   #194
SteveSax
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7,554
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Itís going to be teddy
SteveSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #195
feel wrath
The Situation
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 17,356
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatrich View Post
fwiw I believe Alex Smith is more likely to get released than traded despite his fantastic season this year. There's a lot of FA options and the Chiefs badly need the cap space. It's as simple as not having much leverage.


Wow - that would be a lottery ticket for him, albeit I canít imagine them not being able to get at least a decent day 2 pick for him.

Heís 33? 4 years of Smiff would look very attractive to Dorsey and Hue
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 AM   #196
GusJohnsonGOAT
SESwamiGOAT
 
GusJohnsonGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14,387
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Feel like they keep Teddy and Case for cheap.
GusJohnsonGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #197
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,803
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel wrath View Post
Wow - that would be a lottery ticket for him, albeit I canít imagine them not being able to get at least a decent day 2 pick for him.

Heís 33? 4 years of Smiff would look very attractive to Dorsey and Hue
If there's a team that should not go this route it's the browns though as they aren't one player away from contending and they need new coaches anyway. The good news is they're like ten away and they have 12 picks they will somehow squander to maybe one guy worth a damn like every year.
They have picks 1 and 4 and there's quite a few QB's in this draft thought of as players they should pick up there. The Jets are in a similar spot, the roster is just too poor to sign a vet for that long this offseason.

The carousel is gonna be madness.
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #198
Henrik Sedin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henrik Sedin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: assisting your goals
Posts: 17,796
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatrich View Post
fwiw I believe Alex Smith is more likely to get released than traded despite his fantastic season this year. There's a lot of FA options and the Chiefs badly need the cap space. It's as simple as not having much leverage.
Somebody wanna take a run at mapping out the musical QB chairs?

Seems like the only good FA options are Cousins & Jimmy G (I'm assuming that Brees is sticking in NO)

Smiff will be traded, a bunch of teams will draft QBs

What other starters are out there?
Everyone else (Case, Badford, Teddy, Tyrod, Cutler, etc) seem fringe
Henrik Sedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:25 AM   #199
feel wrath
The Situation
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 17,356
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatrich View Post
If there's a team that should not go this route it's the browns though as they aren't one player away from contending and they need new coaches anyway. The good news is they're like ten away and they have 12 picks they will somehow squander to maybe one guy worth a damn like every year.

They have picks 1 and 4 and there's quite a few QB's in this draft thought of as players they should pick up there. The Jets are in a similar spot, the roster is just too poor to sign a vet for that long this offseason.



The carousel is gonna be madness.


I agree with all that and itíll be up to the new GM to stick to the long term even if Hue, who has one more year unless thereís a big improvement, may want to buy an immediate upgrade on quality and the leadership that comes with a bet QB like Smiff (or Cousins)

potentially Hue can sell that a rookie QB needs stability even if there isnít an immediate jump.
Didnít work for Lovie
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #200
feel wrath
The Situation
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 17,356
Re: NFL Offseason 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Sedin View Post
Somebody wanna take a run at mapping out the musical QB chairs?



Seems like the only good FA options are Cousins & Jimmy G (I'm assuming that Brees is sticking in NO)



Smiff will be traded, a bunch of teams will draft QBs



What other starters are out there?

Everyone else (Case, Badford, Teddy, Tyrod, Cutler, etc) seem fringe


Cutler will retire again I imagine.

What happens with Foles will be very interesting in the offseason, particularly if Iggles win

Thereís a non zero chance that Bortles becomes a FA

Likewise itís possible but unlikely that Dalton gets cut/traded, albeit less so with the coach staying

AJ McCarron was getting talked up as a semi desirable target last offseason

Josh McCown actually played pretty well this year, albeit heíll be a bridge/highly paid backup
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online