Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
GeoffRas22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
GeoffRas22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: I got your back kid
Posts: 38,765
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Why do we think the Timberwolves are gonna be good? Even if you believe in Wiggins they have 4 good players right? And those 4 players don't even really fit together all that well. Considering their depth & fit, their o/u, especially considering they play in the West, makes no sense to me. And I'm firmly in the teamWiggs camp.
GeoffRas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #27
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miss you Nurk
Posts: 25,307
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Minnesota certainly have the talent, but man... the fit just seems to blow ass with them. Their best shooter is like the ONE GUY who should be playing inside, and Thibs' defensive system (an antequated one, imo), doesn't seem to fit their roster at all. IMO they should be switching everything and certainly have the big-man talent to do it, but Tom wants to play ice all the time (Stotts is also guilty of this, but he at least has the personnel).

I'm out on Minnesota and in on Utah, may have ranked the Jazz too low. We know they are going to be elite on D, and Rubio despite his flaws always seems to have good command when he's on offense.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #28
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,937
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Yea the more I've thought about it the more I've trended in that direction as well. Jazz will still be a good regular season too and 40 seems like a really low number, whereas the Timberwolves I just don't see Jimmy Butler making up that many wins.
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #29
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 105,855
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Ball
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
mullen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,675
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
Yea the more I've thought about it the more I've trended in that direction as well. Jazz will still be a good regular season too and 40 seems like a really low number, whereas the Timberwolves I just don't see Jimmy Butler making up that many wins.

I honestly think Butler is probably worth +8-10 wins for the Wolves this year, and Towns should improve too. Wiggins you have to assume will be at least moderately better even if you’re low on him.
mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #31
ReddBoiler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ReddBoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sorry I'm a Champion
Posts: 34,786
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Anyone want to make a $100 Rookie of the year bet? I'll take Donovan Mitchell vs your whoever. (Besides DSjr who I also love. Although Im willing to do DSjr + Mitchell vs your 2 whoever as well) If neither win, its a push.
ReddBoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
Speel_Posher
veteran
 
Speel_Posher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffRas22 View Post
Why do we think the Timberwolves are gonna be good? Even if you believe in Wiggins they have 4 good players right? And those 4 players don't even really fit together all that well. Considering their depth & fit, their o/u, especially considering they play in the West, makes no sense to me. And I'm firmly in the teamWiggs camp.
They were ~10th last year in offensive efficiency as a team with the majority of the minutes going to:

Rubio
Wiggins
Towns
Dieng
Lavine/Bazz

Lavine is obviously a huge loss from a spacing perspective, but he only played the first half of the season last year, Teague provides more in that area than rubio and replacing Butler with Lavine/bazz minutes is a huge difference. They were fine last year with that roster construction, I don't see any reason why they won't be fine this year.

I do think they're going to struggle a lot for the first half of the season just because teams that have had more talent have struggled early on with chemistry issues. However, I can see the offense functioning quite well around the wings/teague pnr'ing with towns while one sits in the opposite corner of Taj/Dieng and the other one plays the swing man.
Speel_Posher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
Velocity
Pooh-Bah
 
Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I-O-W-A
Posts: 5,831
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddBoiler View Post
Anyone want to make a $100 Rookie of the year bet? I'll take Donovan Mitchell vs your whoever. (Besides DSjr who I also love. Although Im willing to do DSjr + Mitchell vs your 2 whoever as well) If neither win, its a push.
Id take Lonzo and Simmons vs your DSJ/Mitchell must win for $100
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #34
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,937
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddBoiler View Post
Anyone want to make a $100 Rookie of the year bet? I'll take Donovan Mitchell vs your whoever. (Besides DSjr who I also love. Although Im willing to do DSjr + Mitchell vs your 2 whoever as well) If neither win, its a push.
I'll do $25-$50 on my Lonzo OR Simmons (your pick) v your Donovan Mitchell if you want.

I'm also still looking for a couple more total win o/u's. Mostly
Mavs u35.5
Twolves u 48
Bucks u 47.5
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #35
ReddBoiler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ReddBoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sorry I'm a Champion
Posts: 34,786
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Id take Lonzo and Simmons vs your DSJ/Mitchell must win for $100
I will do must win my D Mitch + Dennis Smith JR vs Your Simmons and Lonzo for $100. Anyone besides those 4 wins its a push.
ReddBoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #36
BDHarrison
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,634
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen View Post
Wiggins you have to assume will be at least moderately better even if you’re low on him.
Why do I have to assume he will be moderately better?
BDHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #37
tchaz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tchaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,530
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Viggity View Post
Information for NBA Slack Channel

There are currently 52 SE posters on Slack, and with NBA starting, it's a good alternative for game night posting.

Slack is a chat program where you can create multiple channels around topics (Like we have a general one, and one for NBA, and for fantasy football)

Read more: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/arti...What-is-Slack-

If you'd like to join the #nba channel for SE on Slack, you can PM myself or CPHoya (the moderators) your e-mail address and we can send you a private invitation.
Here's a new idea: take the Hoyaids containment thread to invisible insider incestuous chat and leave actually talking about sporting events in the SE forum.

I really **hate** the idea of taking this kind of stuff off-site - how do non-insiders find it? - and I assume this is just another branch of Hoyaids's pathetic endeavour to destroy SE, but .. yeah .. why not have the info .. send me an invite

--

sent as a PM - I guess that collates them in the same place
tchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #38
Banzai-
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,608
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

OMG NBA!

General thoughts "predictions" on some teams (compared to what I can gather general opinion is and win totals)
High on:
- Pacers (just aren't that bad, Turner is great and I still believe in Oladipo, and they have actual NBA players at every position unlike a lot of teams. Could sneak playoffs in awful East. Paul George's input last year in reg season being overrated too)
- Denver (drinking the Seadood Jokic kool-aid, and Millsap just the absolute perfect signing, and one of my faves)
- Houston (CP3 still underrated, and the DAT scheme is closest thing to solved basketball for non warriors teams)

Low on:
- Philly (all their interesting guys are rookies other than a dude who will barely play. They'll look like world beaters with Embiid on court but will have an awful record)
- Lakers (how are they possibly not completely awful again? For this season only, DAR -> Ball is a big downgrade. Ppl must really rate Lopez?)
- OKC (Paul George fits perfectly in theory but I doubt this team gels at all. Talent to carry it a fair way and I still like Melo but yea, implosion incoming imo)
Banzai- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #39
Rococo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Rococo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,106
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

People say that Warriors have ruined the NBA, but I can think of a bunch of other teams that are going to be super fun to watch, starting with the Nuggets, Bucks, and Sixers.

I'll go with:

MVP -- Giannis
ROY -- Simmons
DPOY -- Draymond
NBA champs -- GS over the Bucks
Rococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #40
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,937
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Viggity View Post
Information for NBA Slack Channel

There are currently 52 SE posters on Slack, and with NBA starting, it's a good alternative for game night posting.

Slack is a chat program where you can create multiple channels around topics (Like we have a general one, and one for NBA, and for fantasy football)

Read more: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/arti...What-is-Slack-

If you'd like to join the #nba channel for SE on Slack, you can PM myself or CPHoya (the moderators) your e-mail address and we can send you a private invitation.

tl;dr

Is this basically a group chat? And is it free?
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #41
Onlydo2days
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,117
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

What is the advantage to slack chat over posting in here?
Onlydo2days is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #42
darO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
darO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Naito & EVIL & Bushi & Sanada
Posts: 19,464
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Excited to be able to root against Chris Paul again. I wish him nothing but failure and excuses.
darO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #43
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miss you Nurk
Posts: 25,307
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Yeah I'm super high on Giannis, perhaps irrationally so. Of all the players to ever play in the league OAT, I kind of feel like he may have the highest ceiling. To be that skilled and blessed with his tools is one thing, but to put it on the court and improve at literally everything every season sings to me. With Middleton returning I think you could see them take a pretty big jump in the standings, and with the East possibly coming back a notch I like them to get a top seed.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #44
Velocity
Pooh-Bah
 
Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I-O-W-A
Posts: 5,831
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddBoiler View Post
I will do must win my D Mitch + Dennis Smith JR vs Your Simmons and Lonzo for $100. Anyone besides those 4 wins its a push.
Cool. Consider it booked.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #45
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miss you Nurk
Posts: 25,307
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by darO View Post
Excited to be able to root against Chris Paul again. I wish him nothing but failure and excuses.
Speaking of the Clipse,I got Beverly Amy dark horse MIP this year. He showed some things sans Harden running the second units, and will be able to showcase his abilities more in LA.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #46
Banzai-
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,608
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
Yeah I'm super high on Giannis, perhaps irrationally so. Of all the players to ever play in the league OAT, I kind of feel like he may have the highest ceiling. To be that skilled and blessed with his tools is one thing, but to put it on the court and improve at literally everything every season sings to me. With Middleton returning I think you could see them take a pretty big jump in the standings, and with the East possibly coming back a notch I like them to get a top seed.
If Jabari Parker isn't done from the recos their team come playoff time will look very nice
Banzai- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #47
Rococo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Rococo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,106
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
Yeah I'm super high on Giannis, perhaps irrationally so. Of all the players to ever play in the league OAT, I kind of feel like he may have the highest ceiling. To be that skilled and blessed with his tools is one thing, but to put it on the court and improve at literally everything every season sings to me. With Middleton returning I think you could see them take a pretty big jump in the standings, and with the East possibly coming back a notch I like them to get a top seed.
If he ever learns to shoot reasonably well from outside 15 feet, he will be the perennial favorite for MVP. He is the most LeaguePass-worthy player in the league right now.
Rococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #48
BDHarrison
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,634
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
With Middleton returning I think you could see them take a pretty big jump in the standings, and with the East possibly coming back a notch I like them to get a top seed.
If they do well, Parker being out for much of the season might have something to do with it.
BDHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #49
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,937
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

None of the Giannis/Bucks hype train want to touch their over?
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #50
mavsfan4ever
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,108
Re: NBA Season Thread 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
I'll do $25-$50 on my Lonzo OR Simmons (your pick) v your Donovan Mitchell if you want.

I'm also still looking for a couple more total win o/u's. Mostly
Mavs u35.5
Twolves u 48
Bucks u 47.5
I'll take over for the Mavs. I wish we'd tank but doubt we will, so might as well bet it.
mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online