Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

View Poll Results: results of this series
cavs in 4 6 6.90%
cavs in 5 25 28.74%
cavs in 6 25 28.74%
cavs in 7 7 8.05%
celts in 4 2 2.30%
celts in 5 2 2.30%
celts in 6 8 9.20%
celts in 7 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #1851
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenC View Post
This doesn't reflect in 09/10 per possession stats, per 36m stats or bulk stats. Also, there is a significant difference in ORB% (Pauls 1.3 to Rondos 4.3), so I would need some convincing that Paul is the superior rebounder.

fwiw, I agree that it's not nearly as important than shooting, unless you want to become an NBA expert by sorting players by number of triple-doubles.
Rondo regularly shoots from way closer to the basket than CP. It shouldn't be a mystery why his oreb% is higher. It's a function of him not being able to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty7 View Post
On the Celtics, no; for other rosters, yes.
ahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchererBoy View Post
Threat: meaning he will take/force a lot. I think he's like a mid 30s, but he was shooting good this year from outside.
CP destroyed from the 3 pt. line in college (47% over two years) and has shown a steady path of improving his 3FG% in bulk numbers while being by far the major focus of every defense he faces. It's not unreasonable at all to think he's just getting to be a better shooter from distance as time goes on.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #1852
Rendle
Pooh-Bah
 
Rendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Madison Avenue
Posts: 5,057
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
drennan is hilarious.
Drennan is just like Trivisonno and Reghi. They'll say 50 ******ed things and when 1 is right they'll say "I told you so." I used to like Reghi when he was calling games too.
Rendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1853
lenC
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,372
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Rondo regularly shoots from way closer to the basket than CP. It shouldn't be a mystery why his oreb% is higher. It's a function of him not being able to shoot.
Yeah I realized this today - that lack of shooting ability and offensive rebounds should be correlated for PG-s. Rondo spends less time in the perimeter.

But I wouldn't go as far as saying he crashes the boards (like someone did before), most of his (offensive) rebounds should come from the shots that take a nasty angle from the rim and fall to him 10-15 feet from the basket, I don't think it hurts their transition defense very much.
lenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #1854
bgeclipper2
old hand
 
bgeclipper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,598
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

as a Celtic fan i may be considered a homer for saying this but i believe the winner of this series will win the championship any one else agree
bgeclipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #1855
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,035
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeclipper2 View Post
as a Celtic fan i may be considered a homer for saying this but i believe the winner of this series will win the championship any one else agree
why?

Orlando and LA say hello.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #1856
bgeclipper2
old hand
 
bgeclipper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,598
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
why?

Orlando and LA say hello.
i still dont like orlando i feel the winner of this series will beat orlando
bgeclipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #1857
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,790
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendle View Post
Drennan is a ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
drennan is hilarious.
both are correct.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #1858
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,035
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeclipper2 View Post
i still dont like orlando i feel the winner of this series will beat orlando
you as a boston fan, I'm suprised you feel this way. great justification btw.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #1859
Speel Posher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Speel Posher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check me out, im grindin...
Posts: 7,355
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeclipper2 View Post
i still dont like orlando i feel the winner of this series will beat orlando
orlando is the BTITL. they have been for the last 30 something games. LA is playing really well in their last 6 also.
Speel Posher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #1860
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speel Posher View Post
orlando is the BTITL. they have been for the last 30 something games. LA is playing really well in their last 6 also.
disagree with this, imo lakers are the best team in the league when healthy altho the bynum injury somewhat scares me

i'd say there is a clear top 4 which are all close to each other of

lakers
cavs
magic
celtics

then suns
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #1861
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,035
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Magic have a 14.x PD their last 31 games (28-3)...............thats insane and double any other team left in the playoffs. 18 of those games were against playoff opponents.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #1862
sailorsaint
veteran
 
sailorsaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Some rise, some fall, some climb
Posts: 2,740
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeljks View Post
and my point, and that of others i believe, is that the celtics might be contending w/one of those 3. who says the bolded is the only thing that can make the celtics a contender? celtics are a great defensive team, problem is that their offense is not that good (even when accounting for a horrible bench). those 3 pgs are a lot better than rondo on offense, and as long as kg and perkins are in the frontcourt the celtics would still be very good defensively. significant net gain


Do you believe that Boston is a contender today?

If not, how much better would Boston be today with Nash, Williams or Paul replacing Rondo - considering that Rondo has been, by far, Boston's best player during the playoffs?

Now, if we leave Rondo in place, would Boston be closer to a true championship contender status if Garnett was replaced by Gasol or Pierce by Durant?

The significant gains gathered from either of those hypothetical roster changes would, imo, outweigh the difference between Rondo and another PG.

All I'm trying to say is the PG isn't the need issue in Boston. Younger, more athletic legs at PF, SF and even SG are of more concern. That doesn't make Rondo a better player than any of the guards being discussed.

It also doesn't mean that I wouldn't trade Rondo for Williams or Paul.
sailorsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #1863
Speel Posher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Speel Posher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check me out, im grindin...
Posts: 7,355
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
disagree with this, imo lakers are the best team in the league when healthy altho the bynum injury somewhat scares me

i'd say there is a clear top 4 which are all close to each other of

lakers
cavs
magic
celtics

then suns
im not going to vehemently disagree with you. if you want to put the lakers first they have earned it with how they have played.

however, orlando has dismantled their two teams in the playoffs this year, and they still have mismatches offensively if they face cleveland. if they arent 1 they should be the clear #2 right now imo.
Speel Posher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #1864
Speel Posher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Speel Posher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check me out, im grindin...
Posts: 7,355
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
Magic have a 14.x PD their last 31 games (28-3)...............thats insane and double any other team left in the playoffs. 18 of those games were against playoff opponents.
yeah this is pretty sick.
Speel Posher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #1865
sailorsaint
veteran
 
sailorsaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Some rise, some fall, some climb
Posts: 2,740
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
disagree with this, imo lakers are the best team in the league when healthy altho the bynum injury somewhat scares me

i'd say there is a clear top 4 which are all close to each other of

lakers
cavs
magic
celtics

then suns


I admire your continuing support of Boston as a true contender - and hope that you are right.
sailorsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #1866
Omega_Red
centurion
 
Omega_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Andor
Posts: 157
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeclipper2 View Post
i still dont like orlando i feel the winner of this series will beat orlando
I'd like the Cavs to beat orlando but if they can't close out the Celtics. I don't see how they can beat the Magic. And the Celtics would need to drink from the fountain of youth to come close.
Omega_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #1867
Youngunpoker
Pooh-Bah
 
Youngunpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UCF
Posts: 3,686
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeclipper2 View Post
i still dont like orlando i feel the winner of this series will beat orlando
based off of what? boston is getting old at every position except for PG, and they have to double team dwight to be anywhere near effective against him defensively, the way our guys are shooting from the 3-pt line is going to make magic a very tough match up for boston.

if cleveland wins we have 2 of the better one on one defenders to match up against Lebron in pietrus and barnes. Shaqis getting old but still prolly has thebest chance at at least somewhat holding dwight back, but dwight is MUCH too fast for him, so i predict quick foul trouble for shaq, and then anderson v needs help against dwight (when he doesent get the calls quick on his flops)
Youngunpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #1868
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
Magic have a 14.x PD their last 31 games (28-3)...............thats insane and double any other team left in the playoffs. 18 of those games were against playoff opponents.
well the magic matchup really well with the hawks and bobcats which is where 8 of their games were played

teams like the lakers/cavs/celtics matchup better vs the magic, imo if magic play either lakers/cavs they are clearly dogs (esp lakers)
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #1869
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngunpoker View Post
based off of what? boston is getting old at every position except for PG, and they have to double team dwight to be anywhere near effective against him defensively, the way our guys are shooting from the 3-pt line is going to make magic a very tough match up for boston.

if cleveland wins we have 2 of the better one on one defenders to match up against Lebron in pietrus and barnes. Shaqis getting old but still prolly has thebest chance at at least somewhat holding dwight back, but dwight is MUCH too fast for him, so i predict quick foul trouble for shaq, and then anderson v needs help against dwight (when he doesent get the calls quick on his flops)
lol @ boston having to double dwight since perk always plays him straight up and sheed has as well and perk when on him does a great job vs dwight. and lol @ getting old at every position except pg, at center i didn't know somehow perk was getting "old" either.

and while boston is "getting old", kg when healthy is clearly a top 15 player (and hes pretty healthy), pierce/ray ray are both top 20 players or very close to that and rondo is a top 15ish player as well.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #1870
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speel Posher View Post
im not going to vehemently disagree with you. if you want to put the lakers first they have earned it with how they have played.

however, orlando has dismantled their two teams in the playoffs this year, and they still have mismatches offensively if they face cleveland. if they arent 1 they should be the clear #2 right now imo.
magic will be significant underdogs against the cavs if they play them in the 2nd round (and rightfully so)
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1871
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
and while boston is "getting old", kg when healthy is clearly a top 15 player (and hes pretty healthy), pierce/ray ray are both top 20 players or very close to that and rondo is a top 15ish player as well.
lol
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #1872
tarheeljks
The Dark Knight
 
tarheeljks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: no tacos this year
Posts: 37,657
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsaint View Post
Do you believe that Boston is a contender today?

If not, how much better would Boston be today with Nash, Williams or Paul replacing Rondo - considering that Rondo has been, by far, Boston's best player during the playoffs?

Now, if we leave Rondo in place, would Boston be closer to a true championship contender status if Garnett was replaced by Gasol or Pierce by Durant?

The significant gains gathered from either of those hypothetical roster changes would, imo, outweigh the difference between Rondo and another PG.
no they are not a contender, but they are on the fringe when rondo is on and when rondo is on he is still a good bit worse than when the other 3 are on.


Quote:
All I'm trying to say is the PG isn't the need issue in Boston. Younger, more athletic legs at PF, SF and even SG are of more concern. That doesn't make Rondo a better player than any of the guards being discussed.

It also doesn't mean that I wouldn't trade Rondo for Williams or Paul.

boston's defense is great. its offense is not, so the biggest "need" is more consistent/better offense. you can say pg isn't the issue b/c rondo isn't good but inserting any of those 3 pgs is pretty much a lock to make the c's offense good. they likely get worse defensively, but are also still prob a top 5 defensive team


edit: prob not top 5 b/c their bench sucks. still a very good defensive team. i don't think you or other celtics fans are appreciating how much better those 3 players are than rondo

Last edited by tarheeljks; 05-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
tarheeljks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #1873
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,035
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

yeah wtf at KG being healthy....he is never going to be healthy enough to be a top 15 player any more. and wtf at ray ray or pierce being top 20 players any more healthy or not. they are closer to bottom top 50 than top 20.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1874
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
lol @ boston having to double dwight since perk always plays him straight up and sheed has as well and perk when on him does a great job vs dwight. and lol @ getting old at every position except pg, at center i didn't know somehow perk was getting "old" either.

and while boston is "getting old", kg when healthy is clearly a top 15 player (and hes pretty healthy), pierce/ray ray are both top 20 players or very close to that and rondo is a top 15ish player as well.
This is nonsense.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #1875
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs: Cavaliers vs Celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
yeah wtf at KG being healthy....he is never going to be healthy enough to be a top 15 player any more. and wtf at ray ray or pierce being top 20 players any more healthy or not. they are closer to bottom top 50 than top 20.
kg was close to 100% healthy for the first ~30ish games of the season before he reinjured himself and has played like hes close to 100% healthy in the playoffs, if he is not top 15 he is ridiculously close

pierce and ray are closer to top 20 than bottom 50....both put up very impressive stats this season

guys like billups/joe johnson are ~20ish type players, how are they better than either of them? and if they are better it's by a very small margin.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive