Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #1676
tdarko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tdarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,183
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighStakesPro View Post
Those comments were made after pick #21 fwiw.
You are quoting a post b/c of a goofy pick that Bobbo and I both agree was too early? What exactly is your point? Or do you ever have one?
tdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #1677
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

other people have pointed this out about tmac, but the thing is...
1. his body of work that he accomplished (which is fantastic) is suddenly not there anymore
2. he has awful, awful injury problems which will hurt him in this league for sure
3. despite playing on great defensive teams, he's not nearly the defensive presence other 2s are that are still available (who happen to light it up offensively like him)

so those are 3 major knocks.
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #1678
HighStakesPro
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,949
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Yes, my point was that he went a lot earlier than expected, I also think it was an early pick. Of course the picks are getting tougher because there are less and less HOFers out there.
HighStakesPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #1679
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

as an aside, i think that saying that someone would rather take [insert SG] over [insert PF] is somewhat moot, because of the apples/oranges argument.

however, ranking SGs among others (like the Kidd/Payton thing) is usually interesting. FWIW, I have Tmac as my #7th SG (3 others have been drafted so far)
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #1680
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

sick usage of the code/chart function. dudd wins teh intranets of the thread award.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #1681
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

psshhh I've posted so many Scalabrine lines using the coded chart it ain't even funny
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #1682
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Wow at the idea of having the 41st best coach.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #1683
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

ZOMG CLARK SOMEONES GONNA TAKE PHIL NOW
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #1684
cowboy2579
adept
 
cowboy2579's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 2+2 obv
Posts: 1,104
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

so, we are going to draft a coach and 9 players right?
cowboy2579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #1685
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Yes. 10 round draft.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #1686
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

can we pick coaches whenever so I can ensure I get Doc or Jim O'Brien?
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #1687
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

I think Pitino is your guy.

Last edited by Dudd; 05-13-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through..., wait, my bad
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #1688
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

I think someone should pick a coach in the first round, maybe Don Nelson.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #1689
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

lol Yeah you can pick coaches whenever you want.
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #1690
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd View Post
I think Pitino is your guy.
I was thinking if I get Dino and Potapenko, I gotta go with Pitino, but no matter what it ****s up his "Bird ain't comin' through that door" spiel. If I get the Wiggle I pretty much have to go with O'Brien.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #1691
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
Never insulted anyone. Just voiced my opinion that malone is much better than barkley. If youve read my posts, I throw the word ******ed around very loosely. Ive called myself ******ed on many occasions.

As I have said before I never have nor will ever be a fan of stats. If you try and judge players by stats you will be doing them wrong.

Malone is better for your team, because of the way he scored and got his points. Similar to how you have to discard anyones stats who plays for phoenix and denver because they are skewed due to the style of their team play. This was the same cause for comparing these 2 players. Malone was a man of the team, setting screens, moving without the ball, running the floor...

While barkley dominated the ball so much it took a lot of players out of the game and basically all they could do is stand and watch him, if he got double teamed they got an oppurtunnity, otherwise stand and watch every possession. You can throw around all the stats you want, but until they start keeping stats for every single thing that happens on the basketball court I wont take stats into any decision I make. How can you decide to count certain things while not counting others ? How can you count blocked shots and not charges taken ? Is the result not the same ? Even better because the charge gets you poessesion guaranteed while block might not.

Although I may not be right this is what I think of the 2.

Ive played college ball and coached high school ball. Was moderately successfull at both, so I know a little bit about what wins ball games and what just fills up stat sheets, however my knowledge of stats is super minimal because I personally choose to ignore them. This may or may not be the right way to judge players.

I can tell you have a history in basketball as well, but you choose to use stats pretty often, as do a lot of the posters here, which is certainly a different way to look at things. Most coaches I know, are not looking at players stats to rate their performance.

Someone mentioned earlier that off the court issues have to also be considered, and barkley was not a great teamate in the locker room either. Loud mouthing all over the place, self involved, not really looking out for the teams best interests.

I played DII college ball, and I think you're 100% wrong about coaches not using stats. Our coach kept plenty of stats when evaluating players. NBA teams go crazy in depth into stats, and some even use sites like 82games.com.

Stats in a vacuum are terrible. However coupled with watching the games they can tell you a lot. Moreover, when the stats say that it isn't close then you can't really say "well I watch the games and the stats are wrong."

Barkely was a more efficient scorer in every metric and he averaged more assists and rebounds. What else is there on offense? Setting screens? Are you really arguing that Malone is better at stuff like that and that makes him a better offensive player?

Barkley was better in EVERY ASPECT offensively. It wasn't close. And FG%, eFG%, and TS% don't lie. You get the ball, you try to score. These stats tell us how successful they were. Theres nothing "watching them play" can do that will erase those numbers and make them less significant.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #1692
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

The bird comment raises a good question, kc. If you were also to choose Bird as your coach would that create a paradox?
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #1693
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

omgomgomg 2 Bird's I'm allowed to do it. I think fairly if I want Bird to be my coach I have to use another pick and not pick a 10th player, but I'm still gonna do it.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #1694
HighStakesPro
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,949
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtemp View Post
The bird comment raises a good question, kc. If you were also to choose Bird as your coach would that create a pardox?
Yeah and I want Isiah as my coach, if some team is running up the score on me, Isiah will send out my 9th round pick Danny Fortson to clothesline Jordan or whoever is being so disrespectful.
HighStakesPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #1695
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by battschr View Post
Any thoughts on Pip there?
Best pick of the draft so far imo....not because it was so difficult to choose him but because I can't believe so many people let him fall. I would've taken him at #11.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #1696
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
omgomgomg 2 Bird's I'm allowed to do it. I think fairly if I want Bird to be my coach I have to use another pick and not pick a 10th player, but I'm still gonna do it.
You didn't answer my question. We can't have a draft if you destroy the universe.
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #1697
Shark Doctor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Shark Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 11,739
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

No - Kidcolin - just think about it this way...you used your first round pick to take your coach of choice (Bird)...and now you can just build from there.
Shark Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #1698
HighStakesPro
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,949
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARK DOCTOR View Post
No - Kidcolin - just think about it this way...you used your first round pick to take your coach of choice (Bird)...and now you can just build from there.
A+
HighStakesPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #1699
fanmail
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fanmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Crown Town
Posts: 32,416
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Damn it, Pippen and Payton snatched up right in front of me. ****. Great picks imo.
fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #1700
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

MJ's also the first players GM ^^. 2nd pick will have to be..Kwame Brown....and 3rd Adam "stache" Morrison.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive